ImageImageImage

NBA suspends the season due to Covid19

Moderators: Domejandro, Calinks, Worm Guts

mplsfonz23
Analyst
Posts: 3,602
And1: 1,193
Joined: Jun 13, 2017
   

Re: NBA may take a hiatus due to Covid19 

Post#41 » by mplsfonz23 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:45 pm

Mattya wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:
Mattya wrote:I wonder if they just cancel the missed game and have the playoffs when things get better?

That would piss a lot of fringe teams off.
I wouldn't mind, as we would have an equal amount of PP balls to try and get the #1 pick.


It should only piss off the western conference teams, but even then they are all at least 3.5 games back. Manageable to come back, but still no walk in the park.

Yeah, I guess I meant the west. I know the Kings and Pelicans have been hot, and who doesn't want to see Zion in the PO's? And what about Dame, if any player should get there should be him. Loyal to a fault. IMO.
15-16 games give a desperate team a chance. I also find it funny how we still aren't mathematically eliminated. Lets run the table. 16 str8.
mplsfonz23
Analyst
Posts: 3,602
And1: 1,193
Joined: Jun 13, 2017
   

Re: NBA may take a hiatus due to Covid19 

Post#42 » by mplsfonz23 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:49 pm

I guess Real GM and Wolves chat may as well take a hiatus too.
Time to catch up on my draft prospects.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 55,049
And1: 11,530
Joined: Jul 08, 2005
Contact:
   

Re: NBA may take a hiatus due to Covid19 

Post#43 » by Klomp » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:17 pm

However, league sources peg the average gate for an NBA team at just a shade under $2M per home game – from the mid-3s for a team like Golden State to something closer to $1M for Memphis or New Orleans.

Do the math on an NBA regular season with roughly nine home games left per franchise, and you’re talking over $500M. Because BRI is roughly split with the players and then is cut 30 ways to produce a cap number, playing the rest of the season in front of empty crowds could theoretically drop next year’s cap by $8M.


https://theathletic.com/1670647/2020/03/11/covid-19s-impact-on-the-salary-cap-is-an-addendum-to-a-fraught-situation/
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
mplsfonz23
Analyst
Posts: 3,602
And1: 1,193
Joined: Jun 13, 2017
   

Re: NBA suspends the season due to Covid19 

Post#44 » by mplsfonz23 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:27 pm

Is NCAA next? No March madness?

Who would stand to lose?
Or does this belong in a different thread?
mplsfonz23
Analyst
Posts: 3,602
And1: 1,193
Joined: Jun 13, 2017
   

Re: NBA may take a hiatus due to Covid19 

Post#45 » by mplsfonz23 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:37 pm

Klomp wrote:However, league sources peg the average gate for an NBA team at just a shade under $2M per home game – from the mid-3s for a team like Golden State to something closer to $1M for Memphis or New Orleans.

Do the math on an NBA regular season with roughly nine home games left per franchise, and you’re talking over $500M. Because BRI is roughly split with the players and then is cut 30 ways to produce a cap number, playing the rest of the season in front of empty crowds could theoretically drop next year’s cap by $8M.


https://theathletic.com/1670647/2020/03/11/covid-19s-impact-on-the-salary-cap-is-an-addendum-to-a-fraught-situation/


That seems kind of silly to drop the cap. Can't they just leave it where its at? Seems like an adjustment needs to be made. What next? Are they going to ask the players to take a hit for not playing the games.

All I know is, general soreness should be retired for the remainder of the season.
SO_MONEY
Veteran
Posts: 2,835
And1: 381
Joined: Sep 11, 2009
         

Re: NBA may take a hiatus due to Covid19 

Post#46 » by SO_MONEY » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:32 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:
Klomp wrote:However, league sources peg the average gate for an NBA team at just a shade under $2M per home game – from the mid-3s for a team like Golden State to something closer to $1M for Memphis or New Orleans.

Do the math on an NBA regular season with roughly nine home games left per franchise, and you’re talking over $500M. Because BRI is roughly split with the players and then is cut 30 ways to produce a cap number, playing the rest of the season in front of empty crowds could theoretically drop next year’s cap by $8M.


https://theathletic.com/1670647/2020/03/11/covid-19s-impact-on-the-salary-cap-is-an-addendum-to-a-fraught-situation/


That seems kind of silly to drop the cap. Can't they just leave it where its at? Seems like an adjustment needs to be made. What next? Are they going to ask the players to take a hit for not playing the games.

All I know is, general soreness should be retired for the remainder of the season.


YES. There is a reason the cap is based on BRI. Players across the NBA get a percentage of what they bring in. If they are not playing, they are not bringing in as much, BRI falls as does the cap. Are they going to make owners take a double hit?...No. Stuff happens.
mplsfonz23
Analyst
Posts: 3,602
And1: 1,193
Joined: Jun 13, 2017
   

Re: NBA may take a hiatus due to Covid19 

Post#47 » by mplsfonz23 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:44 pm

SO_MONEY wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:
Klomp wrote:However, league sources peg the average gate for an NBA team at just a shade under $2M per home game – from the mid-3s for a team like Golden State to something closer to $1M for Memphis or New Orleans.

Do the math on an NBA regular season with roughly nine home games left per franchise, and you’re talking over $500M. Because BRI is roughly split with the players and then is cut 30 ways to produce a cap number, playing the rest of the season in front of empty crowds could theoretically drop next year’s cap by $8M.


https://theathletic.com/1670647/2020/03/11/covid-19s-impact-on-the-salary-cap-is-an-addendum-to-a-fraught-situation/


That seems kind of silly to drop the cap. Can't they just leave it where its at? Seems like an adjustment needs to be made. What next? Are they going to ask the players to take a hit for not playing the games.

All I know is, general soreness should be retired for the remainder of the season.


YES. There is a reason the cap is based on BRI. Players across the NBA get a percentage of what they bring in. If they are not playing, they are not bringing in as much, BRI falls as does the cap. Are they going to make owners take a double hit?...No. Stuff happens.

Okay. I was just wondering. Then it seems like everybody loses. I feel bad for the vendors and staff.
SO_MONEY
Veteran
Posts: 2,835
And1: 381
Joined: Sep 11, 2009
         

Re: NBA may take a hiatus due to Covid19 

Post#48 » by SO_MONEY » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:51 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:
That seems kind of silly to drop the cap. Can't they just leave it where its at? Seems like an adjustment needs to be made. What next? Are they going to ask the players to take a hit for not playing the games.

All I know is, general soreness should be retired for the remainder of the season.


YES. There is a reason the cap is based on BRI. Players across the NBA get a percentage of what they bring in. If they are not playing, they are not bringing in as much, BRI falls as does the cap. Are they going to make owners take a double hit?...No. Stuff happens.

Okay. I was just wondering. Then it seems like everybody loses. I feel bad for the vendors and staff.


Little impact to most of them, let's be real, it is a VERY part-time job. I really don't have a case of the "feels" on this. Stuff happens, people lose. No one should lose more than any other.
mplsfonz23
Analyst
Posts: 3,602
And1: 1,193
Joined: Jun 13, 2017
   

Re: NBA may take a hiatus due to Covid19 

Post#49 » by mplsfonz23 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:05 pm

SO_MONEY wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:
YES. There is a reason the cap is based on BRI. Players across the NBA get a percentage of what they bring in. If they are not playing, they are not bringing in as much, BRI falls as does the cap. Are they going to make owners take a double hit?...No. Stuff happens.

Okay. I was just wondering. Then it seems like everybody loses. I feel bad for the vendors and staff.


Little impact to most of them, let's be real, it is a VERY part-time job. I really don't have a case of the "feels" on this. Stuff happens, people lose. No one should lose more than any other.

Well I have a friend and his wife who really need the money from selling beers to fans. He said they make a couple hundred a week (2-3 games) I sure he wont lose his house, but that adds up between the both of them.
I have to ref the MYAS boys state this weekend, and I sure hope they cancel it. (All them snotty nose kids touching the ball. ) :lol:
I'm old and at risk. :o
SO_MONEY
Veteran
Posts: 2,835
And1: 381
Joined: Sep 11, 2009
         

Re: NBA may take a hiatus due to Covid19 

Post#50 » by SO_MONEY » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:35 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:Okay. I was just wondering. Then it seems like everybody loses. I feel bad for the vendors and staff.


Little impact to most of them, let's be real, it is a VERY part-time job. I really don't have a case of the "feels" on this. Stuff happens, people lose. No one should lose more than any other.

Well I have a friend and his wife who really need the money from selling beers to fans. He said they make a couple hundred a week (2-3 games) I sure he wont lose his house, but that adds up between the both of them.
I have to ref the MYAS boys state this weekend, and I sure hope they cancel it. (All them snotty nose kids touching the ball. ) :lol:
I'm old and at risk. :o


The cookie crumbles. When issues arise, or business wants to play it safe OR test plans for continuity, not much peons can do about it. It is life. Personally, in the US old people will do better than most countries, but if they want to manage economic productivity and decrease liability with few losses in either direction it will be done. Not that it is likely, or that it even helps to take extreme measures. In short order this will be a blip and hidden from memory due to the overreaction.
User avatar
LibertyPrime
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,874
And1: 1,487
Joined: Dec 08, 2013
   

Re: NBA may take a hiatus due to Covid19 

Post#51 » by LibertyPrime » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:18 pm

SO_MONEY wrote:
Loud noises...

This is all panic. The mortality rate is 3.4%,and we have the old people to thank for that. This will die out for many reasons.


If it's especially dangerous to elders because of their immune systems, it's also likely to be dangerous to kids because of their immune systems. But even assuming it's the same mortality rate, imagine you're a parent and that there's a disease out there you can get by handling the wrong doorknob that when contracted, has a better than 1 in 50 chance of killing your kid. Or even, say 1 in 100. Now start panicking.
"The last domino falls here!"
SO_MONEY
Veteran
Posts: 2,835
And1: 381
Joined: Sep 11, 2009
         

Re: NBA may take a hiatus due to Covid19 

Post#52 » by SO_MONEY » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:59 pm

LibertyPrime wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:
Loud noises...

This is all panic. The mortality rate is 3.4%,and we have the old people to thank for that. This will die out for many reasons.


If it's especially dangerous to elders because of their immune systems, it's also likely to be dangerous to kids because of their immune systems. But even assuming it's the same mortality rate, imagine you're a parent and that there's a disease out there you can get by handling the wrong doorknob that when contracted, has a better than 1 in 50 chance of killing your kid. Or even, say 1 in 100. Now start panicking.


You might think so, but it doesn't largely seem to be the case. I get what you are saying, but they don't even know if shutting down schools is going to make a dent. And in reality if your kid has a 1-2% chance of dying or a 99-98% percent of survival if infected or infected from a sever strain... I don't see organic panic.
Dewey
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,474
And1: 521
Joined: May 22, 2001

Re: NBA may take a hiatus due to Covid19 

Post#53 » by Dewey » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:25 pm

SO_MONEY wrote:
LibertyPrime wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:
Loud noises...

This is all panic. The mortality rate is 3.4%,and we have the old people to thank for that. This will die out for many reasons.


If it's especially dangerous to elders because of their immune systems, it's also likely to be dangerous to kids because of their immune systems. But even assuming it's the same mortality rate, imagine you're a parent and that there's a disease out there you can get by handling the wrong doorknob that when contracted, has a better than 1 in 50 chance of killing your kid. Or even, say 1 in 100. Now start panicking.


You might think so, but it doesn't largely seem to be the case. I get what you are saying, but they don't even know if shutting down schools is going to make a dent. And in reality if your kid has a 1-2% chance of dying or a 99-98% percent of survival if infected or infected from a sever strain... I don't see organic panic.

agree ...

Also, based on proven history, one can make similar cases for so many many other yearly claims such as (other) illnesses, suidice rates, car acidents, starvation, drug OD, deadly storms, etc. as it goes on and on and on ... the media hype machine will build this into a far bigger (100x) issue than it will ever have the chance to be. All these are serious, but many have simply lost their common sense.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
SO_MONEY
Veteran
Posts: 2,835
And1: 381
Joined: Sep 11, 2009
         

Re: NBA may take a hiatus due to Covid19 

Post#54 » by SO_MONEY » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:42 pm

Dewey wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:
LibertyPrime wrote:
If it's especially dangerous to elders because of their immune systems, it's also likely to be dangerous to kids because of their immune systems. But even assuming it's the same mortality rate, imagine you're a parent and that there's a disease out there you can get by handling the wrong doorknob that when contracted, has a better than 1 in 50 chance of killing your kid. Or even, say 1 in 100. Now start panicking.


You might think so, but it doesn't largely seem to be the case. I get what you are saying, but they don't even know if shutting down schools is going to make a dent. And in reality if your kid has a 1-2% chance of dying or a 99-98% percent of survival if infected or infected from a sever strain... I don't see organic panic.

agree ...

Also, based on proven history, one can make similar cases for so many many other yearly claims such as (other) illnesses, suidice rates, car acidents, starvation, drug OD, deadly storms, etc. as it goes on and on and on ... the media hype machine will build this into a far bigger (100x) issue than it will ever have the chance to be. All these are serious, but many have simply lost their common sense.


I am aware of some plans given security clearance on a rapid response team for a bank, when we are not killing mail, shuttering grocery stores, closing gas stations, grounding air travel or preventing things like drug stores, WE ARE GOOD. We are good. It would have already been done. If they choose to do it...it is nothing more than a case study.
winforlose
Sophomore
Posts: 168
And1: 66
Joined: Feb 27, 2020

Re: NBA suspends the season due to Covid19 

Post#55 » by winforlose » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:56 pm

Small update: The SB nation sight for the 76ers (liberty ballers,) says the suspension is for a minimum of 30 days. Obviously we all expect it to be longer, but this is confirmation that play will not resume after the 14 day quarantine period.
SO_MONEY
Veteran
Posts: 2,835
And1: 381
Joined: Sep 11, 2009
         

Re: NBA suspends the season due to Covid19 

Post#56 » by SO_MONEY » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:08 am

winforlose wrote:Small update: The SB nation sight for the 76ers (liberty ballers,) says the suspension is for a minimum of 30 days. Obviously we all expect it to be longer, but this is confirmation that play will not resume after the 14 day quarantine period.


I don't think people believe that. The obvious reason for this is to reduce the effectiveness of the virus by HOPEFULLY presenting unfavorable conditions based on climate and weather. Where you will see strength and veracity decrease, while also buying time to understand better treatments. It is not rocket science!
winforlose
Sophomore
Posts: 168
And1: 66
Joined: Feb 27, 2020

Re: NBA suspends the season due to Covid19 

Post#57 » by winforlose » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:23 am

SO_MONEY wrote:
winforlose wrote:Small update: The SB nation sight for the 76ers (liberty ballers,) says the suspension is for a minimum of 30 days. Obviously we all expect it to be longer, but this is confirmation that play will not resume after the 14 day quarantine period.


I don't think people believe that. The obvious reason for this is to reduce the effectiveness of the virus by HOPEFULLY presenting unfavorable conditions based on climate and weather. Where you will see strength and veracity decrease, while also buying time to understand better treatments. It is not rocket science!


Dude, MLB just suspended their season which doesn’t even start for two weeks. You really think the majority of NBA fans expected a 14 day suspension? Also, favorable weather conditions is a pipe dream. It has affected both hemispheres as well as every type of climate. Costal cities, deserts, etc... The goal is to slow the transmission rate by limiting mass exposure. Look at the history of Africa compared to the history of Europe. Major cities in Europe plus more developed roads and more frequent travel between cities and nations increased spread through out Europe. At the same time, the distance, relative population sizes, and lack of travel and trade between cities and nations slowed major viruses in Africa.

Think of it this way. You don’t want everyone sick at once (not enough resources to treat everyone at once,) and you want to give health experts and big pharma as much time as possible to develop therapeutics, anti virals, and eventually a vaccine.
SO_MONEY
Veteran
Posts: 2,835
And1: 381
Joined: Sep 11, 2009
         

Re: NBA suspends the season due to Covid19 

Post#58 » by SO_MONEY » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:48 am

winforlose wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:
winforlose wrote:Small update: The SB nation sight for the 76ers (liberty ballers,) says the suspension is for a minimum of 30 days. Obviously we all expect it to be longer, but this is confirmation that play will not resume after the 14 day quarantine period.


I don't think people believe that. The obvious reason for this is to reduce the effectiveness of the virus by HOPEFULLY presenting unfavorable conditions based on climate and weather. Where you will see strength and veracity decrease, while also buying time to understand better treatments. It is not rocket science!


Dude, MLB just suspended their season which doesn’t even start for two weeks. You really think the majority of NBA fans expected a 14 day suspension? Also, favorable weather conditions is a pipe dream. It has affected both hemispheres as well as every type of climate. Costal cities, deserts, etc... The goal is to slow the transmission rate by limiting mass exposure. Look at the history of Africa compared to the history of Europe. Major cities in Europe plus more developed roads and more frequent travel between cities and nations increased spread through out Europe. At the same time, the distance, relative population sizes, and lack of travel and trade between cities and nations slowed major viruses in Africa.

Think of it this way. You don’t want everyone sick at once (not enough resources to treat everyone at once,) and you want to give health experts and big pharma as much time as possible to develop therapeutics, anti virals, and eventually a vaccine.


Reading comprehension! NO I DID NOT EXPECT A 14 DAY SUSPENSION, nor do I think others do. What is your point? When I say "I don't think people believe that"? I mean just that... I.E. they think it will be LONGER. Additionally, I have mentioned why weather will help where experts believe there will be a reduction because the virus will not be as communicative or as deadly. PERIOD. Stop freaking out.
winforlose
Sophomore
Posts: 168
And1: 66
Joined: Feb 27, 2020

Re: NBA suspends the season due to Covid19 

Post#59 » by winforlose » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:54 am

SO_MONEY wrote:
winforlose wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:
I don't think people believe that. The obvious reason for this is to reduce the effectiveness of the virus by HOPEFULLY presenting unfavorable conditions based on climate and weather. Where you will see strength and veracity decrease, while also buying time to understand better treatments. It is not rocket science!


Dude, MLB just suspended their season which doesn’t even start for two weeks. You really think the majority of NBA fans expected a 14 day suspension? Also, favorable weather conditions is a pipe dream. It has affected both hemispheres as well as every type of climate. Costal cities, deserts, etc... The goal is to slow the transmission rate by limiting mass exposure. Look at the history of Africa compared to the history of Europe. Major cities in Europe plus more developed roads and more frequent travel between cities and nations increased spread through out Europe. At the same time, the distance, relative population sizes, and lack of travel and trade between cities and nations slowed major viruses in Africa.

Think of it this way. You don’t want everyone sick at once (not enough resources to treat everyone at once,) and you want to give health experts and big pharma as much time as possible to develop therapeutics, anti virals, and eventually a vaccine.


Reading comprehension! NO I DID NOT EXPECT A 14 DAY SUSPENSION, nor do I think others do. What is your point? When I say "I don't think people believe that"? I mean just that... I.E. they think it will be LONGER. Additionally, I have mentioned why weather will help where experts believe there will be a reduction because the virus will not be as communicative or as deadly. PERIOD. Stop freaking out.


Honestly your the one using all caps and freaking out. The 14 day period refers to the Gobert situation. Before we knew Mitchell was infected the entire NBA still basically had to self quarantine for 14 days (including refs, coaches, training staff, etc...) unless they took the test and got cleared. The reason is the number of teams Utah played and the possible spread from those teams to other teams. 14 days was literally the minimum. I even said I don’t believe people thought it would be 14 days. Your post was vague and poorly worded and you should be more polite about it. I took the time to respond to you. Honestly, your rudeness and arrogance are neither warranted nor appreciated.
SO_MONEY
Veteran
Posts: 2,835
And1: 381
Joined: Sep 11, 2009
         

Re: NBA suspends the season due to Covid19 

Post#60 » by SO_MONEY » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:06 am

winforlose wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Dude, MLB just suspended their season which doesn’t even start for two weeks. You really think the majority of NBA fans expected a 14 day suspension? Also, favorable weather conditions is a pipe dream. It has affected both hemispheres as well as every type of climate. Costal cities, deserts, etc... The goal is to slow the transmission rate by limiting mass exposure. Look at the history of Africa compared to the history of Europe. Major cities in Europe plus more developed roads and more frequent travel between cities and nations increased spread through out Europe. At the same time, the distance, relative population sizes, and lack of travel and trade between cities and nations slowed major viruses in Africa.

Think of it this way. You don’t want everyone sick at once (not enough resources to treat everyone at once,) and you want to give health experts and big pharma as much time as possible to develop therapeutics, anti virals, and eventually a vaccine.


Reading comprehension! NO I DID NOT EXPECT A 14 DAY SUSPENSION, nor do I think others do. What is your point? When I say "I don't think people believe that"? I mean just that... I.E. they think it will be LONGER. Additionally, I have mentioned why weather will help where experts believe there will be a reduction because the virus will not be as communicative or as deadly. PERIOD. Stop freaking out.


Honestly your the one using all caps and freaking out. The 14 day period refers to the Gobert situation. Before we knew Mitchell was infected the entire NBA still basically had to self quarantine for 14 days (including refs, coaches, training staff, etc...) unless they took the test and got cleared. The reason is the number of teams Utah played and the possible spread from those teams to other teams. 14 days was literally the minimum. I even said I don’t believe people thought it would be 14 days. Your post was vague and poorly worded and you should be more polite about it. I took the time to respond to you. Honestly, your rudeness and arrogance are neither warranted nor appreciated.


You are mentioning things I didn't say, I.E. misquoting me and lecturing me on candor, super. Perhaps miss-worded? Then again FUNNY you read it how you wanted to. You also accuse me of "rudeness and arrogance" when I am just stating facts. Sure I will use ALL CAPS to draw attention to that so I don't need to embolden or Italicize things . Do you want to be run of this board as well because you are so all consumed for getting called out for stupid things? Relax. Your conceptions should mean less when presented with facts.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves