ImageImageImage

NBA suspends the season due to Covid19

Moderators: Domejandro, Calinks, Worm Guts

User avatar
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
Posts: 23,146
And1: 2,594
Joined: Jul 29, 2008
Location: Frankfurt
 

Re: NBA may take a hiatus due to Covid19 

Post#81 » by Foye » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:29 am

Worm Guts wrote:
Dewey wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:
You might think so, but it doesn't largely seem to be the case. I get what you are saying, but they don't even know if shutting down schools is going to make a dent. And in reality if your kid has a 1-2% chance of dying or a 99-98% percent of survival if infected or infected from a sever strain... I don't see organic panic.

agree ...

Also, based on proven history, one can make similar cases for so many many other yearly claims such as (other) illnesses, suidice rates, car acidents, starvation, drug OD, deadly storms, etc. as it goes on and on and on ... the media hype machine will build this into a far bigger (100x) issue than it will ever have the chance to be. All these are serious, but many have simply lost their common sense.


Whatever you think of what's happening here, it's about more than the media. The stock market crashing and sports leagues shutting down are independently major news stories and have contributed to making this situation feel more extreme.
But really 1-2% of the population dying is a pretty major event. It's not going end the world, but 1 percent of the world's population is 70 million people. That's a lot of potential deaths.


Yes, it is a major event but there is way too much panic involved.
This is not a popular take, but all current signs point to the fact that there are too many people on earth already. With each passing year, the nature of the planet is destroyed more and more by humanity and climate change is bascially unstoppable at this point of time.
If COVID19 is the way you die...just say "congratz mother*ucker you were stronger than me" from heaven and that's it.

Additionally, corona virus will most likely cause a baby boom all the way from December 2020 to February or March 2021.
People are stuck in quarantine. You can't watch tv all day. What will they do? Have s*x.
Jedzz
Head Coach
Posts: 7,035
And1: 1,453
Joined: Oct 05, 2018
   

Re: NBA may take a hiatus due to Covid19 

Post#82 » by Jedzz » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:10 pm

Foye wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
Dewey wrote:agree ...

Also, based on proven history, one can make similar cases for so many many other yearly claims such as (other) illnesses, suidice rates, car acidents, starvation, drug OD, deadly storms, etc. as it goes on and on and on ... the media hype machine will build this into a far bigger (100x) issue than it will ever have the chance to be. All these are serious, but many have simply lost their common sense.


Whatever you think of what's happening here, it's about more than the media. The stock market crashing and sports leagues shutting down are independently major news stories and have contributed to making this situation feel more extreme.
But really 1-2% of the population dying is a pretty major event. It's not going end the world, but 1 percent of the world's population is 70 million people. That's a lot of potential deaths.


Yes, it is a major event but there is way too much panic involved.
This is not a popular take, but all current signs point to the fact that there are too many people on earth already. With each passing year, the nature of the planet is destroyed more and more by humanity and climate change is bascially unstoppable at this point of time.
If COVID19 is the way you die...just say "congratz mother*ucker you were stronger than me" from heaven and that's it.

Additionally, corona virus will most likely cause a baby boom all the way from December 2020 to February or March 2021.
People are stuck in quarantine. You can't watch tv all day. What will they do? Have s*x.


Interesting point there at the end. Might be.

As far as population overload goes, these stories fit some regions and not others and I generally cringe when I hear or read it. Want to talk India or certain tiny countries exploding polutions fine. People gluing their lives to big cities is the problem if anything. But there are spaces on this earth that nobody is inhabiting that could. For the US, take a walk in any number of west central states. Nobody is home. Just a bunch of land barons that have bought it all up. Can easily fix that by taking all that ownership away and having a land rush like eons ago. Yes our non-commy Country got people to spread out that way and start building out the country. (this is where some ten million acre farmers come at me witha pitchfork.) China, massive landscape, insane population jammed into small regions. I look at continents like South America with Southern Peru, Chile, Argentina, Uraguay and others that are the flip side of the equater from an area like north central /central US and I see hardly anything there. If you feel overloaded with people around you, move. People talk like it is ok to talk Population control in so many devious ways, when it would be much more humane to start talking about population relocation.

But why is it so hard to get people out of these major cities? Because everyone focuses their development money on the cities. That can change if it needs to. Walk into any flatland subarb area around the Minneapolis/St. Paul region and you could duplicate that anywhere that has sort of similar climate and nobody would see life being much different for them. Same climate or not, it doesn't look much different elsewhere unless you are in some other county's old world city. Real communities can be built elsewhere. If there are people there soon there will be the same kind of stores and businesses moving in to take advantage of your numbers in the new region. A region like New York should be starting programs to get people out of there. For this COV19 thing in an area like New York and other tight packaged cities, how exactly are they supposed to stop it spreading? Where I am, I can go months without looking my neighbor in the eye if I need to. Can't imagine 10 contiguous blocks of apartment dwellers going out to work each morning. Yet we have people concerned about gathering in a stadium with 15,000 people. Try 1.5 million in a 10 acre parcel. They are all huffing the same air.
User avatar
WolfAddict
Sophomore
Posts: 234
And1: 255
Joined: Sep 18, 2019
Location: Canberra, Australia
     

Re: NBA may take a hiatus due to Covid19 

Post#83 » by WolfAddict » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:09 pm

Foye wrote:Yes, it is a major event but there is way too much panic involved.
This is not a popular take, but all current signs point to the fact that there are too many people on earth already. With each passing year, the nature of the planet is destroyed more and more by humanity and climate change is bascially unstoppable at this point of time.
If COVID19 is the way you die...just say "congratz mother*ucker you were stronger than me" from heaven and that's it.

Additionally, corona virus will most likely cause a baby boom all the way from December 2020 to February or March 2021.
People are stuck in quarantine. You can't watch tv all day. What will they do? Have s*x.


So, when one of my family members or close friends fall over due to this virus, I should just say "Oh well, at least our population growth is slowing..."?

That, and I'm sorry for pointing this out, is an absolutely and unequivocally silly way to look at it.

Whatever your opinion/reaction is to over population, it pales in comparison to the heartbreak caused by losing a loved one.
Jedzz
Head Coach
Posts: 7,035
And1: 1,453
Joined: Oct 05, 2018
   

Re: NBA may take a hiatus due to Covid19 

Post#84 » by Jedzz » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:47 pm

-
Jedzz
Head Coach
Posts: 7,035
And1: 1,453
Joined: Oct 05, 2018
   

Re: NBA may take a hiatus due to Covid19 

Post#85 » by Jedzz » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:49 pm

WolfAddict wrote:
Foye wrote:Yes, it is a major event but there is way too much panic involved.
This is not a popular take, but all current signs point to the fact that there are too many people on earth already. With each passing year, the nature of the planet is destroyed more and more by humanity and climate change is bascially unstoppable at this point of time.
If COVID19 is the way you die...just say "congratz mother*ucker you were stronger than me" from heaven and that's it.

Additionally, corona virus will most likely cause a baby boom all the way from December 2020 to February or March 2021.
People are stuck in quarantine. You can't watch tv all day. What will they do? Have s*x.


So, when one of my family members or close friends fall over due to this virus, I should just say "Oh well, at least our population growth is slowing..."?

That, and I'm sorry for pointing this out, is an absolutely and unequivocally silly way to look at it.

Whatever your opinion/reaction is to over population, it pales in comparison to the heartbreak caused by losing a loved one.


If Foye and Money dissapear from posting forever maybe because the COV19 takes them are they the ones who are supposed to say congrats or hooray, or us? First week I heard of this thing this year was as it started in China and a young doctor was dieing from it, then did pass. Young people claiming it won't be them might want to check that theory.

Btw, reading the cdc page that calls this the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (not just covid19), say what about 2019? Was China scrambling with this in 2019? Or did CDC already know about this thing in 2019? Anyway it shows MN in the 11-50 cases range and NY and Washington state in the 500-1000 range now. Apparently West Virginia is so far immune with zero known cases.

At least in some parts of MN you can drive up and get tested at street level now. I wondering if they are finding the cases that way now. Hopefully we can all get tested and then know whether to quarantine ourselves entirely to avoid spreading it to loved ones or anyone.
winforlose
Sophomore
Posts: 168
And1: 66
Joined: Feb 27, 2020

Re: NBA may take a hiatus due to Covid19 

Post#86 » by winforlose » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:09 am

Jedzz wrote:
WolfAddict wrote:
Foye wrote:Yes, it is a major event but there is way too much panic involved.
This is not a popular take, but all current signs point to the fact that there are too many people on earth already. With each passing year, the nature of the planet is destroyed more and more by humanity and climate change is bascially unstoppable at this point of time.
If COVID19 is the way you die...just say "congratz mother*ucker you were stronger than me" from heaven and that's it.

Additionally, corona virus will most likely cause a baby boom all the way from December 2020 to February or March 2021.
People are stuck in quarantine. You can't watch tv all day. What will they do? Have s*x.


So, when one of my family members or close friends fall over due to this virus, I should just say "Oh well, at least our population growth is slowing..."?

That, and I'm sorry for pointing this out, is an absolutely and unequivocally silly way to look at it.

Whatever your opinion/reaction is to over population, it pales in comparison to the heartbreak caused by losing a loved one.


If Foye and Money dissapear from posting forever maybe because the COV19 takes them are they the ones who are supposed to say congrats or hooray, or us? First week I heard of this thing this year was as it started in China and a young doctor was dieing from it, then did pass. Young people claiming it won't be them might want to check that theory.

Btw, reading the cdc page that calls this the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (not just covid19), say what about 2019? Was China scrambling with this in 2019? Or did CDC already know about this thing in 2019? Anyway it shows MN in the 11-50 cases range and NY and Washington state in the 500-1000 range now. Apparently West Virginia is so far immune with zero known cases.

At least in some parts of MN you can drive up and get tested at street level now. I wondering if they are finding the cases that way now. Hopefully we can all get tested and then know whether to quarantine ourselves entirely to avoid spreading it to loved ones or anyone.


Pretty sure it started in late 2019. As for the topic of realistic outcomes, I think perspective is required. In Iran, 7 people were arrested for a criminal conspiracy that killed a large number of people (I believe 40 but it has been a while since I read the story.) The conspiracy was to defraud people by offering an alcohol based cure for Covid 19. The alcohol was Ethanol based and killed anyone who drank it. Hysteria creates opportunities for unnecessary death and chaos. That said, when you go on a cruise ship and get stuck for a week in quarantine, or visit your parents/grandparents at a nursing home and kill 10 people with the virus you brought in, you realize the virus cannot be ignored either. Panic implies irrational behavior, but fear for the lives of others is rational.

Yes it is true that a lot of people I never met, never lived on the same continent with, have died and will die this year. It is true that I do not mourn them, nor do I celebrate their deaths. The simple truth of biological life as we understand it, is that it eventually ends. In the grand scheme humanity will survive, but that does not mitigate the tragedy, nor does it justify doing anything less than our best to persevere life whenever possible. It is true that only some people choose to run toward the gunfire or into the burning building, and that is fine. But, we can and do reasonably expect people to not pull the trigger or start the fire. Closing schools and churches, canceling sports and conventions, this hurts our economy but perseveres our humanity. So yes, it is true millions will likely die from this, but just like taking care of the environment, at the end of the day we each get to live with knowing what part we played in deciding the final number. Society will survive, the market will survive, and history will remember these years mostly in the record books and vague statistics, that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t appreciate the situation we are living through.
User avatar
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
Posts: 23,146
And1: 2,594
Joined: Jul 29, 2008
Location: Frankfurt
 

Re: NBA suspends the season due to Covid19 

Post#87 » by Foye » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:18 pm



People have been dying from the flu for hundreds of years. Corona is not much different...the only problem being that it might spread a little faster than most recent flus.

This whole topic is way overblown.
winforlose
Sophomore
Posts: 168
And1: 66
Joined: Feb 27, 2020

Re: NBA suspends the season due to Covid19 

Post#88 » by winforlose » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:42 pm

Foye wrote:

People have been dying from the flu for hundreds of years. Corona is not much different...the only problem being that it might spread a little faster than most recent flus.

This whole topic is way overblown.


TLDW. In any event, infection rate matters. Also mortality rate among vulnerable population is much higher. Governments wouldn’t react this way (China l, South Korea, Italy, etc...) if this was just some overblown flu. Also, for every one doctor who says don’t worry nothing to see here you have 3 saying the opposite. Including, the CDC, and every state surgeon general.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 55,049
And1: 11,530
Joined: Jul 08, 2005
Contact:
   

Re: NBA suspends the season due to Covid19 

Post#89 » by Klomp » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:15 pm

I think part of the difference too is they've found vaccines to remedy the flu. I don't believe they're to that point yet with corona.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
User avatar
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
Posts: 23,146
And1: 2,594
Joined: Jul 29, 2008
Location: Frankfurt
 

Re: NBA suspends the season due to Covid19 

Post#90 » by Foye » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:19 pm

winforlose wrote:
Foye wrote:

People have been dying from the flu for hundreds of years. Corona is not much different...the only problem being that it might spread a little faster than most recent flus.

This whole topic is way overblown.


TLDW. In any event, infection rate matters. Also mortality rate among vulnerable population is much higher. Governments wouldn’t react this way (China l, South Korea, Italy, etc...) if this was just some overblown flu. Also, for every one doctor who says don’t worry nothing to see here you have 3 saying the opposite. Including, the CDC, and every state surgeon general.


Estimates are about 25000 people died from the last stronger regular flu in Germany in 2017/18. Just in Germany. How many cases do we have with COVID19 so far?

Just from a rational point of view: If this COVID19 was that dangerous we would have tenthousands of dead people in China alone already because it was spreading for a couple months in Wuhan without official lockdown.
User avatar
WolfAddict
Sophomore
Posts: 234
And1: 255
Joined: Sep 18, 2019
Location: Canberra, Australia
     

Re: NBA suspends the season due to Covid19 

Post#91 » by WolfAddict » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:51 pm

Well there you go people, ^^ this guy says there's nothing to worry about... Never mind if you've lost family members or friends, it's all just a massive overreaction...
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Posts: 23,202
And1: 7,123
Joined: Dec 27, 2003
     

Re: NBA suspends the season due to Covid19 

Post#92 » by Worm Guts » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:55 am

Foye wrote:

People have been dying from the flu for hundreds of years. Corona is not much different...the only problem being that it might spread a little faster than most recent flus.

This whole topic is way overblown.


I saw immunologist Anthony Fauci recently say the seasonal flu has a mortality rate of 0.1%, covid-19 from what we’ve seen in China so far has a mortality rate of 3-4%.
User avatar
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
Posts: 23,146
And1: 2,594
Joined: Jul 29, 2008
Location: Frankfurt
 

Re: NBA suspends the season due to Covid19 

Post#93 » by Foye » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:21 am

Worm Guts wrote:
Foye wrote:

People have been dying from the flu for hundreds of years. Corona is not much different...the only problem being that it might spread a little faster than most recent flus.

This whole topic is way overblown.


I saw immunologist Anthony Fauci recently say the seasonal flu has a mortality rate of 0.1%, covid-19 from what we’ve seen in China so far has a mortality rate of 3-4%.


Well if your population for testing are the ones that do really get sick and end up hospitalized...the mortality rate will always seem high.

You can be sure that the number of unreported Corona cases (any death would currently be suspicious and most likely tested - but mild flus are most likely not even noticed by many people - only very few people go to the hospital if its just throat issues for example) is at least 10 times the amount of the reported cases which puts us at a solid 0.3 or 0.4 mortality rate...

The mortality rate drawn from these official figures is just flat out wrong.
User avatar
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
Posts: 23,146
And1: 2,594
Joined: Jul 29, 2008
Location: Frankfurt
 

Re: NBA suspends the season due to Covid19 

Post#94 » by Foye » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:11 am

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/03/13/science.abb3221.full

Abstract
Estimation of the prevalence and contagiousness of undocumented novel coronavirus (SARS-CoV2) infections is critical for understanding the overall prevalence and pandemic potential of this disease. Here we use observations of reported infection within China, in conjunction with mobility data, a networked dynamic metapopulation model and Bayesian inference, to infer critical epidemiological characteristics associated with SARS-CoV2, including the fraction of undocumented infections and their contagiousness. We estimate 86% of all infections were undocumented (95% CI: [82%–90%]) prior to 23 January 2020 travel restrictions. Per person, the transmission rate of undocumented infections was 55% of documented infections ([46%–62%]), yet, due to their greater numbers, undocumented infections were the infection source for 79% of documented cases. These findings explain the rapid geographic spread of SARS-CoV2 and indicate containment of this virus will be particularly challenging.


This puts it well into perspective. There is no way this virus has a 3-4% mortality rate. No freaking way.

The mortality rate of this virus is closer to the lower end of a scale between 0.1 and 1.0.
User avatar
packforfreedom
Veteran
Posts: 2,725
And1: 2,914
Joined: Nov 06, 2012
 

Re: NBA suspends the season due to Covid19 

Post#95 » by packforfreedom » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:17 am

please stop this nonsense. In Lombardei hospitals can't treat patients anymore because there is no capacity. Calling this a normal flu is irresponsible and stupid. Corona spreads much faster than a normal flu and is without question more lethal.
Black Lives Matter
User avatar
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
Posts: 23,146
And1: 2,594
Joined: Jul 29, 2008
Location: Frankfurt
 

Re: NBA suspends the season due to Covid19 

Post#96 » by Foye » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:29 am

packforfreedom wrote:please stop this nonsense. In Lombardei hospitals can't treat patients anymore because there is no capacity. Calling this a normal flu is irresponsible and stupid. Corona spreads much faster than a normal flu and is without question more lethal.


Yes, it spreads fast but the medical health care system would break down with any stronger flu season because most countries do not invest properly into it.

For example:
We have about 28000 intensive health care beds in Germany. You can be sure at least half those are always in use with other illnesses, accidents etc.
This amount is actually a pretty high number. Other countries like Italy for example have a lesser percentage of beds available per resident (the US being actually among the worst).

The reason Corona is actually dangerous is because of the greed of humanity. In many countries, politicians have (for years) not made the necessary investments into the health care system and are now getting the bill for not being prepared in the first place.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Posts: 23,202
And1: 7,123
Joined: Dec 27, 2003
     

Re: NBA suspends the season due to Covid19 

Post#97 » by Worm Guts » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:00 pm

Foye wrote:
packforfreedom wrote:please stop this nonsense. In Lombardei hospitals can't treat patients anymore because there is no capacity. Calling this a normal flu is irresponsible and stupid. Corona spreads much faster than a normal flu and is without question more lethal.


Yes, it spreads fast but the medical health care system would break down with any stronger flu season because most countries do not invest properly into it.

.


If this was true, then it would happen every few years. What's happening now is not something we've seen in our lifetimes.
User avatar
packforfreedom
Veteran
Posts: 2,725
And1: 2,914
Joined: Nov 06, 2012
 

Re: NBA suspends the season due to Covid19 

Post#98 » by packforfreedom » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:37 pm

Foye wrote:
packforfreedom wrote:please stop this nonsense. In Lombardei hospitals can't treat patients anymore because there is no capacity. Calling this a normal flu is irresponsible and stupid. Corona spreads much faster than a normal flu and is without question more lethal.


Yes, it spreads fast but the medical health care system would break down with any stronger flu season because most countries do not invest properly into it.

For example:
We have about 28000 intensive health care beds in Germany. You can be sure at least half those are always in use with other illnesses, accidents etc.
This amount is actually a pretty high number. Other countries like Italy for example have a lesser percentage of beds available per resident (the US being actually among the worst).

The reason Corona is actually dangerous is because of the greed of humanity. In many countries, politicians have (for years) not made the necessary investments into the health care system and are now getting the bill for not being prepared in the first place.


I completly agree that the privatization of the health sector made things worse. And if there were 80 millions ventilators in hospitals in Germany it wouldn't be such a big deal as it is now. But unfortuantly the health system is as it is right now and while the virus isn't super deadly but it's still deadly enough to kill a ton of people and it is contagious af. So everybody is basically saying it is about 'flattening the curve' so that the health systen isn't breaking down. that's the reality we're dealing with right now.
Black Lives Matter
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 55,049
And1: 11,530
Joined: Jul 08, 2005
Contact:
   

Re: NBA suspends the season due to Covid19 

Post#99 » by Klomp » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:03 am

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
Jedzz
Head Coach
Posts: 7,035
And1: 1,453
Joined: Oct 05, 2018
   

Re: NBA suspends the season due to Covid19 

Post#100 » by Jedzz » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:13 am

Of the 10-20-30 NBA player names that have already tested positive for covid19, have many of them been reported as struggling or sick at all? Sounds like most are getting tested "because of proximity to someone that tested positive", and not because they were sick. Apparently big money can buy private test kits. I keep reading no one is exhibiting symptoms. Are any?

Mitchell and Gobert, no symptoms.

Detroit Pistons -- Christian Wood tested positive for coronavirus

No mention if sick.

Marcus Smart has announced he tested positive for COVID-19.
Smart was tested because of "exposure to a known positive case."
The Boston Celtics said Smart was not exhibiting any symptoms and has been in isolation for several days.
Nope

The Philadelphia 76ers had three positive tests for COIVD-19.

No mention if anyone is actually seeming sick here.

Two players on the Los Angeles Lakers have tested positive for COVID-19.
Both players are currently asymptomatic, in quarantine and under the care of the team’s physician.

No

All four Nets players, including Durant, are in quarantine. Only one of the four is experiencing symptoms. Durant has not exhibited symptoms from the virus, according to Charania. Durant spoke with The Athletic, saying he feels fine

there is 1 of the 4 Nets with symptoms,
Denver Nuggets -- A member of the Nuggets organization tested positive for the coronavirus on March 19. It is not immediately clear whether the person is a player, but the team said the person was tested on March 16 after “experiencing symptoms consistent with COVID-19.”


That's two.

So only 2 so far having symptoms? How many of the general public already have been exposed and will never know?

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves