ImageImageImage

A problem with Minnesota sports.

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

coolcono
Senior
And1: 115

A problem with Minnesota sports. 

Post#1 » by coolcono » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:38 pm

I was thinking Minnesota sports teams could be more successful if they weren't so sentimental. We have handed out many albatross contracts which have spoiled many teams successes.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,232

Re: A problem with Minnesota sports. 

Post#2 » by Calinks » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:04 pm

My brother talks about this all the time. Says we get too attached and hang on to players too long. For the most part he's all about jettisoning players who are getting too old lol. I agree to an extent, you have top be willing to make the best move for the franchise, not just the emotionally repsone of the fanbase or yourself/people in front office who like a player. I think there are times when you can make it work but sometimes you gotta let a person go.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,182

Post#3 » by Neeva » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:28 pm

Two main sports held in winter when it’s awful for players that are not from cold areas. I really hope the nba season gets moved from feb through september.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,830

Post#4 » by Klomp » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:38 pm

Calinks wrote:My brother talks about this all the time. Says we get too attached and hang on to players too long.

Maybe other teams, but not the Wolves. Only 12 players have played more than 5 seasons here. That included two guys who were on the team this year, both traded at the deadline.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
gandlogo
Junior
And1: 367

Post#5 » by gandlogo » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:09 am

I think it is related to MN not being a destination for free agents so they overpay their existing talent to keep them from leaving. Hrbek was rumored to have given a “hometown discount” but I don’t remember many others doing the same.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,428

Post#6 » by shrink » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:52 am

Calinks wrote:My brother talks about this all the time. Says we get too attached and hang on to players too long. For the most part he's all about jettisoning players who are getting too old lol. I agree to an extent, you have top be willing to make the best move for the franchise, not just the emotionally repsone of the fanbase or yourself/people in front office who like a player. I think there are times when you can make it work but sometimes you gotta let a person go.

You’re right, and this is not a MIN issue - it affects all teams and all sports, and has for a long long time. Branch Rickey (yes, the GM who integrated baseball with Jackie Robinson) once said,

"Trade a player a year too early rather than a year too late.”

I can’t find a date for the quote, but Rickey was born in 1881.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Post#7 » by Dewey » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:13 pm

coolcono wrote:I was thinking Minnesota sports teams could be more successful if they weren't so sentimental. We have handed out many albatross contracts which have spoiled many teams successes.

Every team in pro sports makes lots of albatross deals… It’s just that a few of those teams tend to actually land a legit franchise players here in there
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#8 » by Jedzz » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:49 am

Calinks wrote:My brother talks about this all the time. Says we get too attached and hang on to players too long. For the most part he's all about jettisoning players who are getting too old lol. I agree to an extent, you have top be willing to make the best move for the franchise, not just the emotionally repsone of the fanbase or yourself/people in front office who like a player. I think there are times when you can make it work but sometimes you gotta let a person go.

sigh
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#9 » by Jedzz » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:33 pm

Dewey wrote:
coolcono wrote:I was thinking Minnesota sports teams could be more successful if they weren't so sentimental. We have handed out many albatross contracts which have spoiled many teams successes.

Every team in pro sports makes lots of albatross deals… It’s just that a few of those teams tend to actually land a legit franchise players here in there

They are better at moving the players no matter the deals they've overpaid for, or that you see as overpayments. They just don't seem to have the same trouble moving players to other teams or outright cutting them free. Probably more because they aren't overly concerned with how it looks, or concerned with making look like they won an exchange. They just move the player because they have new plans. Also might have something to do with ability to just buy out and move on being different for some teams.

I know one thing. Cleveland chose Wiggins #1 overall and dealt him away in August. This franchise not only started him 35+ minutes every year for his rookie deal but then max extended him. The day this franchise proves they are more concerned about winning then selling fake pixie dust over time will be the day things change.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,428

Post#10 » by shrink » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:26 pm

Looking at this again, I find it ironic to hear this now, after Rosas was the most aggressive GM in the NBA last year. He has been here less than a year, and the only players he inherited that are still here are Towns and Okogie. In fact, he hasn’t even hung onto many of his own new players very long, trading away several of them after only half a season.

This is not a problem specifically with Minnesota sports, and it certainly isn’t a problem with Gersson Rosas.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
cpfsf
General Manager
And1: 1,104
Location: sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell

Post#11 » by cpfsf » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:51 am

1) draft pretty solid player. finish last in the division. fire the coach
2) draft an ok player we constantly overrate. finish last in the division.
3) draft a meh player who is supposed to complete the BIG 3 - he isn't good but he always shows potential after every trade deadline so we fall for it. fail to get star FA. panic overpay FA. finish last in the division. fire coach. rumors that the star isn't happy begin.
4) draft a bust. Minnesota is still cold. trade future first round pick away. finish 2nd worst in division.
5) draft a bust. wait does Minnesota have the worst winning % of all NBA teams?every player gets injured. finish last in the division. fire coach.
6) no draft pick. comically bad offers for star player on trade board because they argue, "wolves have no leverage". finish last in the division.
7) draft a bust. finish last in the division. trade star player. find a team dumb enough to trade FRP for rest of the team's "assets". fire coach. fire GM.

sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#12 » by Jedzz » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:28 am

shrink wrote:Looking at this again, I find it ironic to hear this now, after Rosas was the most aggressive GM in the NBA last year. He has been here less than a year, and the only players he inherited that are still here are Towns and Okogie. In fact, he hasn’t even hung onto many of his own new players very long, trading away several of them after only half a season.

This is not a problem specifically with Minnesota sports, and it certainly isn’t a problem with Gersson Rosas.

I'll agree it seems we are wallowing over the past handlings that shouldn't now apply to Rosas and how he is proving to handle things. It's obviously been different and he's not sitting on status quo. However then I also see the Culver handling and the quick release of any concern to compete this season and yeah I'm not entirely sure anymore. I'm still in search of proof of flexibility in season to roll with the punches and compete with what you have. Still in awe of all that he's moved to change already and I suspect he never planned to compete this past season for even a minute. It was all for bringing about these changes it seems. Just wondering now if this roster is close enough for him to attempt to start competing, or are we in for yet another season of turnover and doing some kind of forward looking to an imaginary date down the road yet.

I'm more in favor of the quick changeovers and then getting into the hunt every season. He's proved he can pull off quick changeovers anyway.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves