KAT’s mom positive for COVID19, in a coma 

Post#1 » by jpatrick » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:54 am

Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,350

Re: KAT’s mom positive for COVID19, in a coma 

Post#2 » by Calinks » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:12 am

Damn that is brutal This is no joke. This team keeps taking blows, hope she's ok in the end. Ugh.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,417

Post#3 » by winforlose » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:35 am

My thoughts

1. The level of severity makes this a tragedy regardless of the outcome. The stress, the uncertainty, the fear, this is painful in a way that people should not have to endure.

2. Karl is a multi millionaire. He can afford to get his mother the best care possible. Also, she got sick early in the lifecycle of the disease. There are hospital beds, ventilators, and meds available for her. I don’t mean to downplay this, I honestly do not. What I mean to say is, we cannot ignore the importance of social distancing nor can we afford to not take every precaution possible. Karl’s mom has the best possible chance because the above factors are true. They aren’t true for everyone everywhere right now. The treatments will wipe out savings for poorer families. The lack of meds because people (and doctors,) are hoarding them. The lack of ventilators because the surge is overwhelming the system. This isn’t a political issue, this isn’t an economic issue, this is just the reality. We need to contain the virus. We need to pass legislation to forgive the hospital bills related to Covid 19 treatment (especially ICU treatment,) and we need to look to the future to make sure people don’t lose their homes or lives because of their socioeconomic situation. Anyone can get sick, anyone can run up hospital bills and have their lives ruined. It shouldn’t take a pandemic to make this obvious, but here we have one. I am not a hardcore Bernie Sanders guy (personally I hate him,) but it should not be possible to lose your home because you lost your health.
LibertyPrime
Starter
And1: 1,887

Post#4 » by LibertyPrime » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:26 am

winforlose wrote:My thoughts

1. The level of severity makes this a tragedy regardless of the outcome. The stress, the uncertainty, the fear, this is painful in a way that people should not have to endure.

2. Karl is a multi millionaire. He can afford to get his mother the best care possible. Also, she got sick early in the lifecycle of the disease. There are hospital beds, ventilators, and meds available for her. I don’t mean to downplay this, I honestly do not. What I mean to say is, we cannot ignore the importance of social distancing nor can we afford to not take every precaution possible. Karl’s mom has the best possible chance because the above factors are true. They aren’t true for everyone everywhere right now. The treatments will wipe out savings for poorer families. The lack of meds because people (and doctors,) are hoarding them. The lack of ventilators because the surge is overwhelming the system. This isn’t a political issue, this isn’t an economic issue, this is just the reality. We need to contain the virus. We need to pass legislation to forgive the hospital bills related to Covid 19 treatment (especially ICU treatment,) and we need to look to the future to make sure people don’t lose their homes or lives because of their socioeconomic situation. Anyone can get sick, anyone can run up hospital bills and have their lives ruined. It shouldn’t take a pandemic to make this obvious, but here we have one. I am not a hardcore Bernie Sanders guy (personally I hate him,) but it should not be possible to lose your home because you lost your health.

I agree with all of this (except for the Bernie hate). Get better soon Jacqueline! We are all pulling for you.
"The last domino falls here!"
winforlose
General Manager

Post#5 » by winforlose » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:30 am

LibertyPrime wrote:

I agree with all of this (except for the Bernie hate). Get better soon Jacqueline! We are all pulling for you.

I don’t hate his ideas, but I feel he is a bad ambassador to a lot of them. Also I blame him for trump winning. He needed to stop lobbying grenades at Hillary and help get the progressives to turn out.
cpfsf
General Manager
And1: 1,104
Location: sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell

Post#6 » by cpfsf » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:36 am

winforlose wrote:
LibertyPrime wrote:

I don’t hate his ideas, but I feel he is a bad ambassador to a lot of them. Also I blame him for trump winning. He needed to stop lobbying grenades at Hillary and help get the progressives to turn out.

I disagree with bernie thoughts. But i dont wanna elaborate more than that because I'd derail. Id talk through PM if you're interested in bernie trump talk (with my average voter intelligence), but just not here.

sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell sam mitchell
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#7 » by Jedzz » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:51 am

Calinks wrote:Damn that is brutal This is no joke. This team keeps taking blows, hope she's ok in the end. Ugh.
Agree, that is brutal. Amazing he's willing to make that clip, letting people know. Same with hearing of Klobuchar's husband the other day directly from her. Hearing the reality and severity of this hitting people with real facts from the families does help I think. I catch myself every day wanting to just get back to normal and relax but then you see this.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,656

Post#8 » by shrink » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:03 pm

So sad. I have to admit that as a very healthy individual and with no one I know directly contracting COVID19, I have been under-estimating this disease, and more focused on all the annoyances of life right now. Listening to KAT explain about his mother impacted me. It also reminds us that NBA athletes are real human beings.

Bravo to KAT for sharing this.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,827

Post#9 » by KGdaBom » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:33 pm

jpatrick wrote:

Thank you J Patrick and KAT for sharing this.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#10 » by Mattya » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:10 pm

I hope everything works out for KAT's mom. Good message to send to people and takes a lot of strength to get in front of a camera like this and be so candid in what is obviously such a scary situation.
Movics
Pro Prospect
And1: 669

Post#11 » by Movics » Sun Apr 5, 2020 5:09 am

He posted a picture with a heart of his mom holding baby KAT. I hope she is still with us...
all I ever needed was somebody with some reason who can keep me sane
Ever since I can remember, I've been keepin' it together, but I'm feelin' strange
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#12 » by Calinks » Sun Apr 5, 2020 8:13 am

Movics wrote:He posted a picture with a heart of his mom holding baby KAT. I hope she is still with us...

Ah ****. Lack of updates has me nervous.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#13 » by winforlose » Sun Apr 5, 2020 12:01 pm

Calinks wrote:
Movics wrote:He posted a picture with a heart of his mom holding baby KAT. I hope she is still with us...

Ah ****. Lack of updates has me nervous.

Honestly, I think at this point no news is confirmation of the status quo. If she had woken up, then KAT would have posted a thank you to all his fans, teammates, and fellow players for their prayers and well wishes. If she had passed then that would be news as well. Condolences and messages of support would be flooding social media. The most likely answer is that she is still on a vent in a medical induced coma.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#14 » by winforlose » Tue Apr 7, 2020 9:22 pm

Just saw an update on KATs mom from tmz. I did not include the link because I don’t consider the source reliable and I worry it may have viruses (my phone didn’t like the site so not gonna risk posting it.) Long story short, she is still in the hospital and it sounds like she is still in the vent.

Edit to include: Now that a more trustworthy source has the story I wanted to include the link.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/karl-anthony-towns-mother-remains-hospitalized-with-coronavirus-symptoms-per-kentucky-coach-john-calipari/
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#15 » by Calinks » Wed Apr 8, 2020 7:12 pm

Cumo was just on and he said the longer you are on a ventilator, the more likely you are to pass away. KAT's mom has been on for over a week assuming she is still on it, this is not a good sign. What a terrible situation.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#16 » by winforlose » Wed Apr 8, 2020 9:27 pm

Calinks wrote:Cumo was just on and he said the longer you are on a ventilator, the more likely you are to pass away. KAT's mom has been on for over a week assuming she is still on it, this is not a good sign. What a terrible situation.

I was reading about alternative therapies for late stage Covid and the person advocating against vents said “50-66% of Covid patients who go on vents don’t wake up.” Now I have no idea how credible this was. But I thought it was at least worth mentioning.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/rethinking-coronavirus-some-doctors-question-how-we-use-ventilators-123733204.html
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,827

Post#17 » by KGdaBom » Wed Apr 8, 2020 9:42 pm

I didn't even have the heart to click on those last couple links. This sounds very bad.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#18 » by shangrila » Thu Apr 9, 2020 6:50 am

winforlose wrote:
Calinks wrote:Cumo was just on and he said the longer you are on a ventilator, the more likely you are to pass away. KAT's mom has been on for over a week assuming she is still on it, this is not a good sign. What a terrible situation.

I was reading about alternative therapies for late stage Covid and the person advocating against vents said “50-66% of Covid patients who go on vents don’t wake up.” Now I have no idea how credible this was. But I thought it was at least worth mentioning.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/rethinking-coronavirus-some-doctors-question-how-we-use-ventilators-123733204.html

It's an interesting read. The guy pushing the argument has had some failures in the past but he puts forth a somewhat compelling argument about the need to treat other aspects of the virus, such as an aggressive immune response which has been the cause of issues in the young (conversely, that's what made the Spanish flu so deadly. When you have diseases that cause that, and it doesn't seem like COVID does that to everyone, it basically ends up being that the healthier you are the worse you end up).

To me though, saying up to 2/3s of people on ventilators die is like saying a lot of people undergoing chemotherapy die (not sure if that's true, just go with it for argument's sake). It's more a case of you being generally **** than the treatment itself "failing" or being wrong. Obviously if you jump the gun with the treatment or "abuse" it's application then it will cause issues, especially as a ventillator is apparently quite invasive (you get a tube shoved down your throat directly into your lungs, which is so traumatic for your body you have to be sedated so your natural responses don't violently reject it).
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#19 » by shangrila » Thu Apr 9, 2020 6:52 am

KGdaBom wrote:I didn't even have the heart to click on those last couple links. This sounds very bad.

Unfortunately it likely is. I don't know her age but if I assume she's in her 40s or 50s then contracting the virus at all was a dicey prospect. Having to go on the ventilator is a very bad sign.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#20 » by winforlose » Thu Apr 9, 2020 10:26 am

shangrila wrote:
winforlose wrote:

It's an interesting read. The guy pushing the argument has had some failures in the past but he puts forth a somewhat compelling argument about the need to treat other aspects of the virus, such as an aggressive immune response which has been the cause of issues in the young (conversely, that's what made the Spanish flu so deadly. When you have diseases that cause that, and it doesn't seem like COVID does that to everyone, it basically ends up being that the healthier you are the worse you end up).

To me though, saying up to 2/3s of people on ventilators die is like saying a lot of people undergoing chemotherapy die (not sure if that's true, just go with it for argument's sake). It's more a case of you being generally **** than the treatment itself "failing" or being wrong. Obviously if you jump the gun with the treatment or "abuse" it's application then it will cause issues, especially as a ventillator is apparently quite invasive (you get a tube shoved down your throat directly into your lungs, which is so traumatic for your body you have to be sedated so your natural responses don't violently reject it).

Let me preface this by saying I am not a doctor and am only going by what I have read. My understanding is that the longer you use a vent the harder it is to come off of it. Assuming this is true, what the guy is trying to say is given the long recovery time of the Covid 19 pneumonia, doctors should be doing everything possible to prevent the virus from progressing to intubation. The good news is she is receiving the best care money can buy.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves