ImageImageImage

Trade Talk (Part Four)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,019

Re: Trade Talk (Part Four) 

Post#1821 » by Dewey » Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:19 pm

Jingles2 wrote:I'm thinking Minnesota wouldn't mind moving the number one for a player or package of players that could help them sooner. How much would Orlando value the first pick and Okeke though? Would something like this even be considered by Orlando or is this an overpay?

Orlando out/Minnesota in: Gordon, Iwundo, rights to Chuma Okeke, and the 15th pick

Orlando in/Minnesota out: number 1 pick, James Johnson, Jared Vanderbilt, and Jake Layman

I would say a package around the #17 is a better fit for this player talent level in a trade package ... I like the concept but the #1 just does not fit this conversation IMO.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,830

Post#1822 » by Klomp » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:07 am

Mattya wrote:Trade 2:

#1, Layman, Spellman, Evans to Knicks for #8, 2021 top 5 protected, 2021 Dallas pick.

I just want to use this proposal to say that I think this offseason may be the time to capitalize on Jake Layman's contract and the value it may hold. If we wait until the trade deadline or next offseason, I fear other teams will look at him as nothing more than an expiring contract (and not a super valuable one at that). I know those two sentences sound conflicting to those who only read words on the screen and don't take time to truly understand contracts, but it's how I see it.

That said, I personally like him a lot as a player and I think the team does too. Just saying that if there's a time to trade him, I think it would be this offseason.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,429

Post#1823 » by shrink » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:54 pm

I think our first trade should be to turn James Johnson into a big TPE from GSW. This prevents us from trading for intriguing players like Myles Turner or Aaron Gordon, but Johnson is not worth $16 mil, so this raises the trade value of the team. I can’t see us trading Johnson for anything of more value.

After that, I’d like to see us use the TPE in deals that eat other team’s money for assets. It’s possible we could see a team want to help their finances for 2020-21 because of losses from Covid. However, I think the greatest rewards would be for taking on two year deals. Lots of teams will be jockeying to increase their cap space for a very nice free agency class. If we take a two year deal, inheriting up to $36 mil, that should be good for a very nice asset.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
shrink
RealGM

Post#1824 » by shrink » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:56 pm

Klomp wrote:
Mattya wrote:Trade 2:

#1, Layman, Spellman, Evans to Knicks for #8, 2021 top 5 protected, 2021 Dallas pick.

I just want to use this proposal to say that I think this offseason may be the time to capitalize on Jake Layman's contract and the value it may hold. If we wait until the trade deadline or next offseason, I fear other teams will look at him as nothing more than an expiring contract (and not a super valuable one at that). I know those two sentences sound conflicting to those who only read words on the screen and don't take time to truly understand contracts, but it's how I see it.

That said, I personally like him a lot as a player and I think the team does too. Just saying that if there's a time to trade him, I think it would be this offseason.

I like him a lot too, and his willingness to make cuts should help. However, I think he needs to play a little to show GM’s he’s over the injury before his trade value rises.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Post#1825 » by SO_MONEY » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:13 pm

shrink wrote:I think our first trade should be to turn James Johnson into a big TPE from GSW. This prevents us from trading for intriguing players like Myles Turner or Aaron Gordon, but Johnson is not worth $16 mil, so this raises the trade value of the team. I can’t see us trading Johnson for anything of more value.

After that, I’d like to see us use the TPE in deals that eat other team’s money for assets. It’s possible we could see a team want to help their finances for 2020-21 because of losses from Covid. However, I think the greatest rewards would be for taking on two year deals. Lots of teams will be jockeying to increase their cap space for a very nice free agency class. If we take a two year deal, inheriting up to $36 mil, that should be good for a very nice asset.

I think that is a trade of last resort, not the first trade we should make.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#1826 » by Jedzz » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:21 pm

theGreatRC wrote:Wolves need a forward like Jerami Grant/Crowder type.

James Johnson is almost perfect for us, but he doesn't fit the timeline.

So when that timeline some day gets here, they can go find one then. Like this coming year, Crowder should possibly be available even though I'm sure he wants to stay with Heat. There will be someone then, whenever that mystical timeline is.
shrink
RealGM

Post#1827 » by shrink » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:02 pm

SO_MONEY wrote:
shrink wrote:I think our first trade should be to turn James Johnson into a big TPE from GSW. This prevents us from trading for intriguing players like Myles Turner or Aaron Gordon, but Johnson is not worth $16 mil, so this raises the trade value of the team. I can’t see us trading Johnson for anything of more value.

It is such an increase in trade value.

For example, a sign-and-trade for Jerami Grant with penny-pinching DEN is a lot more appealing to them with #17 (we absorb the salary), rather than Johnson’s $16 mil deal and #17.

Grant is a complimentary type player, an excellent one, but not a guy that’s getting a $20 mil deal, especially this year. I could see him opting out of his $9 mil PO for a deal starting at $15 or $16, and DEN doing a sign and trade.
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Post#1828 » by SO_MONEY » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:06 pm

shrink wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:

It is such an increase in trade value.

For example, a sign-and-trade with DEN for Jerami Grant is a lot more appealing to them with #17, rather than Johnson’s $16 mil deal and #17.

Maybe, but it assumes Grant could be fit into it, on top of that I wouldn't pay him that much. Nah. Trading Johnson to GS is about the last trade I would make in the order of operations. Johnson is valuable to us in the same way he is valuable to GS, perhaps more so as he is the only salary ballast we have.
IceManBK1
Analyst
And1: 330

Post#1829 » by IceManBK1 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:47 am

Idk guys Jae Crowder seems kinda trash. Missed a lot of open 3s in this series. Might b the only guy within our budget though
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,182

Post#1830 » by Neeva » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:08 am

IceManBK1 wrote:Idk guys Jae Crowder seems kinda trash. Missed a lot of open 3s in this series. Might b the only guy within our budget though

His defense is bad as well.
IceManBK1
Analyst

Post#1831 » by IceManBK1 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:25 am

Neeva wrote:
IceManBK1 wrote:Idk guys Jae Crowder seems kinda trash. Missed a lot of open 3s in this series. Might b the only guy within our budget though

We need to go after Joe Harris he's a light out shooter from 3. No teams dare to leave him open.
Neeva
Head Coach

Post#1832 » by Neeva » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:27 am

IceManBK1 wrote:
Neeva wrote:

We need to go after Joe Harris he's a light out shooter from 3. No teams dare to leave him open.

if wolves get him and draft Edwards/Ball there is no need for Beasley and one of Culver or Okogie. maybe trade Beasley for Gordon?
IceManBK1
Analyst

Post#1833 » by IceManBK1 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:35 am

Neeva wrote:
IceManBK1 wrote:
Neeva wrote:His defense is bad as well.

if wolves get him and draft Edwards/Ball there is no need for Beasley and one of Culver or Okogie. maybe trade Beasley for Gordon?

We can get gordon regardless what we do at the SG position. JJ, Culver+17 will be enough. I hope we keep Beasley as 6th man though.

Dlo
Edwards
Harris
Gordon
Towns

Deepen the bench and we're good.
Neeva
Head Coach

Post#1834 » by Neeva » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:36 am

IceManBK1 wrote:
Neeva wrote:
IceManBK1 wrote:

We can get gordon regardless what we do at the SG position. JJ, Culver+17 will be enough. I hope we keep Beasley as 6th man though.

Dlo
Edwards
Harris
Gordon
Towns

That’s not enough that is simply too much Rosass pass if orlando asks for that... sign a cheaper pf instead Jones Jr?
jscott
Veteran
And1: 916

Post#1835 » by jscott » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:19 am

IceManBK1 wrote:
Neeva wrote:
IceManBK1 wrote:

Dlo
Edwards
Harris
Gordon
Towns

Take out Culver and I’d consider it. With Culver that’s an easy pass for me.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#1836 » by Jedzz » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:39 am

IceManBK1 wrote:
Neeva wrote:

Why? All you Beasley to 6th man people can't make two three pt wizards into 6th men.

I would like them to go after Joe Harris to continue stocking up shooters for this Rosas/Ryan offense. Wonder if they could get a sign/trade if they offer up Johnson and one of the later picks. Wolves have to start skating around this cap thing.
shrink
RealGM

Post#1837 » by shrink » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:02 pm

I saw an interesting fan trade on another site. I’m modifying it, It still doesn’t fit financially, and I still wouldn’t do it if it did, but it might make for an interesting discussion.

MIN GIVES: Towns and Russell
MIN GETS: Jaylen Brown, Theis, Isaac, Fultz, #15, #16, picks, Aminu

BOS GIVES: Jaylen Brown, Kemba Walker, Theis, #16, picks
BOS GETS: Towns and Russell

ORL GIVES: Isaac, Fultz, Aminu, #15
ORL GETS: Kemba

First, I don’t do this because it’s too hard for a team like MIN to find a star like Towns, and he’s locked in for years. However, if we wanted to rebuild, some deal like this actually gives us multiple spots to find a new star, plus clears he way for Wiseman.

BOS moves forward younger, with Towns, Tatum and Russell, and ORL tries to win now, finally adding a star, who can help their offense.
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,259

Post#1838 » by Baseline81 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:17 pm

shrink wrote:I saw an interesting fan trade on another site. I’m modifying it, It still doesn’t fit financially, and I still wouldn’t do it if it did, but it might make for an interesting discussion.

MIN GIVES: Towns and Russell
MIN GETS: Jaylen Brown, Theis, Isaac, Fultz, #15, #16, picks, Aminu

BOS GIVES: Jaylen Brown, Kemba Walker, Theis, #16, picks
BOS GETS: Towns and Russell

ORL GIVES: Isaac, Fultz, Aminu, #15
ORL GETS: Kemba

First, I don’t do this because it’s too hard for a team like MIN to find a star like Towns, and he’s locked in for years. However, if we wanted to rebuild, some deal like this actually gives us multiple spots to find a new star, plus clears he way for Wiseman.

BOS moves forward younger, with Towns, Tatum and Russell, and ORL tries to win now, finally adding a star, who can help their offense.

I understand your interests in hypothetical trades, but to suggest Rosas deals Russell and Towns without giving the duo a full season together seems a little too far-fetched.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#1839 » by shangrila » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:29 pm

If anyone cares, here's an update from that Hawks insider;

Indy/Minny

It seems like a major breakdown has happened with Indy/Minny due to the inclusion of T.J. Warren. Seems like they do not want to move him if they move Turner and it doesn't seem up for discussion. This one hurt Minny because the LaMelo Ball trade up market is now nil for the value Minny sees as proper value and it seems like they will be stuck at #1. He said, watch for them to look at Deni, Obi, Anthony, LaMelo, Oyneka, and Tyrese.

https://www.hawksquawk.net/topic/431653-ask-supes/page/195/#comments

Which just sucks. Turner/Warren would have been amazing but it's that last part that gets me. We might be overvaluing this pick and good god do I not want to be the team that winds up with Ball, even if it's only short term.
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,157

Post#1840 » by _AIJ_ » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:34 pm

shangrila wrote:If anyone cares, here's an update from that Hawks insider;

Indy/Minny

It seems like a major breakdown has happened with Indy/Minny due to the inclusion of T.J. Warren. Seems like they do not want to move him if they move Turner and it doesn't seem up for discussion. This one hurt Minny because the LaMelo Ball trade up market is now nil for the value Minny sees as proper value and it seems like they will be stuck at #1. He said, watch for them to look at Deni, Obi, Anthony, LaMelo, Oyneka, and Tyrese.

https://www.hawksquawk.net/topic/431653-ask-supes/page/195/#comments

Which just sucks. Turner/Warren would have been amazing but it's that last part that gets me. We might be overvaluing this pick and good god do I not want to be the team that winds up with Ball, even if it's only short term.

I would do that deal with Warren/Turner in a heartbeat. idk why Indiana would do it though.
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves