ImageImageImage

Trade Talk (Part Four)

Moderators: Domejandro, Calinks, Worm Guts

basketballRob
General Manager
Posts: 8,662
And1: 3,168
Joined: May 05, 2014
     

Re: Trade Talk (Part Four) 

Post#221 » by basketballRob » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:34 pm

minimus wrote:
basketballRob wrote:Would you guys trade first pick (Edwards) and Johnson for Aaron Gordon and the Magic first pick? We're pretty stacked at the SG-PF position.

They did try to move Gordon at the deadline, so it's possible they'll move him during the draft.


I personally would trade our FRP for Gordon and ORL FRP, because I think Gordon might be a missing piece for us in our offensive and defensive scheme because of his athletic tools such as exceptional quickness and jumping ability.

Could you please clarify a few question about Gordon for MIN fans?

1) Why his shot selection is so awful? Many fadeway turnaround off balance midrange jumpers, many pullup threes. Is it lack of qualityt shooters, lack of proper coaching, low basketball IQ?

2) Gordon looked like an all-star before hiatus. What was the root cause? Isaac injury?

3) Could you describe Gordon's personality? Many MIN fans still remember low motor, low effort, low basketball IQ type of player in Wiggins. Has Gordon any of these issues?

4) Is his defense is a real deal? Or ORL top5 defense is mostly about coaching?

5) Can he play secondary playmaker? Are his passing, court vision good enough?
Our offense is usually a two man game, with Vuc and Fournier. Some of the other players will force bad shots, because they are sure when they'll get the ball again.

Late in the season when Aaron looked to pass the ball more it opened his game up. In February he averaged like 19 pts 9 rebs and 6 assists. He also was making some sensational, critical block shots in those games. He's usually the one that guards the best forward on the other team.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
Jedzz
Head Coach
Posts: 7,035
And1: 1,453
Joined: Oct 05, 2018
   

Re: Trade Talk (Part Four) 

Post#222 » by Jedzz » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:45 pm

basketballRob wrote:
minimus wrote:
basketballRob wrote:Would you guys trade first pick (Edwards) and Johnson for Aaron Gordon and the Magic first pick? We're pretty stacked at the SG-PF position.

They did try to move Gordon at the deadline, so it's possible they'll move him during the draft.


I personally would trade our FRP for Gordon and ORL FRP, because I think Gordon might be a missing piece for us in our offensive and defensive scheme because of his athletic tools such as exceptional quickness and jumping ability.

Could you please clarify a few question about Gordon for MIN fans?

1) Why his shot selection is so awful? Many fadeway turnaround off balance midrange jumpers, many pullup threes. Is it lack of qualityt shooters, lack of proper coaching, low basketball IQ?

2) Gordon looked like an all-star before hiatus. What was the root cause? Isaac injury?

3) Could you describe Gordon's personality? Many MIN fans still remember low motor, low effort, low basketball IQ type of player in Wiggins. Has Gordon any of these issues?

4) Is his defense is a real deal? Or ORL top5 defense is mostly about coaching?

5) Can he play secondary playmaker? Are his passing, court vision good enough?
Our offense is usually a two man game, with Vuc and Fournier. Some of the other players will force bad shots, because they are sure when they'll get the ball again.

Late in the season when Aaron looked to pass the ball more it opened his game up. In February he averaged like 19 pts 9 rebs and 6 assists. He also was making some sensational, critical block shots in those games. He's usually the one that guards the best forward on the other team.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app


All wolves would need to do is pay a couple people to constantly question Gordon's manhood and ability to dunk, ability to shoot 3s, defend, etc. Might be easy to keep him working hard. He seems to have a soft palate that needs to be engaged now and then to keep him trying to prove what he's capable of. Having others on your team that can pull that out of players used to be a problem for the Wolves like some other teams. But I think there are a few on the roster now that might get it done.
wolves_89
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,145
And1: 1,754
Joined: Jul 10, 2012
 

Re: Trade Talk (Part Four) 

Post#223 » by wolves_89 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:25 pm

basketballRob wrote:Would you guys trade first pick (Edwards) and Johnson for Aaron Gordon and the Magic first pick? We're pretty stacked at the SG-PF position.

They did try to move Gordon at the deadline, so it's possible they'll move him during the draft.


Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app


I would have interest in pursuing an Aaron Gordon trade, but it would have to be something built around Johnson+#16. There is no way I'd put a top 3 pick on the table in a Gordon deal. I don't see Gordon as having anywhere close to enough trade value to justify trading down over 10 spots.
Neeva
Starter
Posts: 2,411
And1: 772
Joined: Jun 03, 2016

Re: Trade Talk (Part Four) 

Post#224 » by Neeva » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:50 pm

wolves_89 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:Would you guys trade first pick (Edwards) and Johnson for Aaron Gordon and the Magic first pick? We're pretty stacked at the SG-PF position.

They did try to move Gordon at the deadline, so it's possible they'll move him during the draft.


Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app


I would have interest in pursuing an Aaron Gordon trade, but it would have to be something built around Johnson+#16. There is no way I'd put a top 3 pick on the table in a Gordon deal. I don't see Gordon as having anywhere close to enough trade value to justify trading down over 10 spots.



Right the difference between Gordon and johnson isn’t that great.
shrink
RealGM
Posts: 43,929
And1: 5,071
Joined: Sep 26, 2005

Re: Trade Talk (Part Four) 

Post#225 » by shrink » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:41 am

basketballRob wrote:Would you guys trade first pick (Edwards) and Johnson for Aaron Gordon and the Magic first pick? We're pretty stacked at the SG-PF position.

They did try to move Gordon at the deadline, so it's possible they'll move him during the draft.

I don’t think most would do this trade. On the Trade Board, most neutral fans think that Aaron Gordon for #16 and Johnson is Gordon’s actual value at this point, and I think going from #16 is worth much less than dropping from #1 to #15.

You might get some takers in the deal if you replace Gordon with Jonathan Isaac, but if MIN got the 1st pick, I don’t think Gordon and #15 would get you there.
basketballRob
General Manager
Posts: 8,662
And1: 3,168
Joined: May 05, 2014
     

Re: Trade Talk (Part Four) 

Post#226 » by basketballRob » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:26 am

shrink wrote:
basketballRob wrote:Would you guys trade first pick (Edwards) and Johnson for Aaron Gordon and the Magic first pick? We're pretty stacked at the SG-PF position.

They did try to move Gordon at the deadline, so it's possible they'll move him during the draft.

I don’t think most would do this trade. On the Trade Board, most neutral fans think that Aaron Gordon for #16 and Johnson is Gordon’s actual value at this point, and I think going from #16 is worth much less than dropping from #1 to #15.

You might get some takers in the deal if you replace Gordon with Jonathan Isaac, but if MIN got the 1st pick, I don’t think Gordon and #15 would get you there.
The Magic wouldn't really want Johnson and they wouldn't want to add two mid first round picks. We already have Okeke and our front office is funny about adding too many rookies. So i would say 99% chance of that deal not happening.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
wolves_89
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,145
And1: 1,754
Joined: Jul 10, 2012
 

Re: Trade Talk (Part Four) 

Post#227 » by wolves_89 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:45 am

The NBA transaction window opens up on Tuesday, will the Wolves make any moves? It would seem like the two most likely possibilities are doing something to get under the luxury tax line and signing McLaughlin to an NBA contract.
old school 34
Sophomore
Posts: 194
And1: 88
Joined: Jun 14, 2018
         

Re: Trade Talk (Part Four) 

Post#228 » by old school 34 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:49 am

basketballRob wrote:
shrink wrote:
basketballRob wrote:Would you guys trade first pick (Edwards) and Johnson for Aaron Gordon and the Magic first pick? We're pretty stacked at the SG-PF position.

They did try to move Gordon at the deadline, so it's possible they'll move him during the draft.

I don’t think most would do this trade. On the Trade Board, most neutral fans think that Aaron Gordon for #16 and Johnson is Gordon’s actual value at this point, and I think going from #16 is worth much less than dropping from #1 to #15.

You might get some takers in the deal if you replace Gordon with Jonathan Isaac, but if MIN got the 1st pick, I don’t think Gordon and #15 would get you there.
The Magic wouldn't really want Johnson and they wouldn't want to add two mid first round picks. We already have Okeke and our front office is funny about adding too many rookies. So i would say 99% chance of that deal not happening.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
I'm not certain that Shrink meant literally that you just swap out for Isaac as the money I believe works....just that probably most are interested in AG with 16 & filler (JJ & whatever end of rotation filler).

If our top pick is ultimately what your looking for...then we'd probably want Isaac (& that would be my preference but also would guess I'm in the minority there) & in that case it's not JJ & filler but probably Culver & filler instead?

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
basketballRob
General Manager
Posts: 8,662
And1: 3,168
Joined: May 05, 2014
     

Re: Trade Talk (Part Four) 

Post#229 » by basketballRob » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:15 am

old school 34 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
shrink wrote:I don’t think most would do this trade. On the Trade Board, most neutral fans think that Aaron Gordon for #16 and Johnson is Gordon’s actual value at this point, and I think going from #16 is worth much less than dropping from #1 to #15.

You might get some takers in the deal if you replace Gordon with Jonathan Isaac, but if MIN got the 1st pick, I don’t think Gordon and #15 would get you there.
The Magic wouldn't really want Johnson and they wouldn't want to add two mid first round picks. We already have Okeke and our front office is funny about adding too many rookies. So i would say 99% chance of that deal not happening.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
I'm not certain that Shrink meant literally that you just swap out for Isaac as the money I believe works....just that probably most are interested in AG with 16 & filler (JJ & whatever end of rotation filler).

If our top pick is ultimately what your looking for...then we'd probably want Isaac (& that would be my preference but also would guess I'm in the minority there) & in that case it's not JJ & filler but probably Culver & filler instead?

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
Isaac is pretty untouchable for us. He was the first pick by the current front office and they're trying to make a name developing players.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
minimus
General Manager
Posts: 7,535
And1: 1,845
Joined: Jan 28, 2011
Location: Germany, Stuttgart area
 

Re: Trade Talk (Part Four) 

Post#230 » by minimus » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:26 am

wolves_89 wrote:The NBA transaction window opens up on Tuesday, will the Wolves make any moves? It would seem like the two most likely possibilities are doing something to get under the luxury tax line and signing McLaughlin to an NBA contract.



If Rosas and Gupta can somehow sign JMac, Martin to new 1+3, get rid of Turner, Spellman contracts AND get under luxury tax line, it will be a pure magic.
User avatar
karch34
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,011
And1: 396
Joined: Jul 05, 2001
Location: Valley of the Sun
     

Re: Trade Talk (Part Four) 

Post#231 » by karch34 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:28 am

minimus wrote:
wolves_89 wrote:The NBA transaction window opens up on Tuesday, will the Wolves make any moves? It would seem like the two most likely possibilities are doing something to get under the luxury tax line and signing McLaughlin to an NBA contract.



If Rosas and Gupta can somehow sign JMac, Martin to new 1+3, get rid of Turner, Spellman contracts AND get under luxury tax line, it will be a pure magic.


Under lux will be the big magic trick. Moore and Robson made it sound like they worked every angle on Turner to no avail. Not sure if potential players sitting out of Orlando changes interest.
minimus
General Manager
Posts: 7,535
And1: 1,845
Joined: Jan 28, 2011
Location: Germany, Stuttgart area
 

Re: Trade Talk (Part Four) 

Post#232 » by minimus » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:42 am

karch34 wrote:
minimus wrote:
wolves_89 wrote:The NBA transaction window opens up on Tuesday, will the Wolves make any moves? It would seem like the two most likely possibilities are doing something to get under the luxury tax line and signing McLaughlin to an NBA contract.



If Rosas and Gupta can somehow sign JMac, Martin to new 1+3, get rid of Turner, Spellman contracts AND get under luxury tax line, it will be a pure magic.


Under lux will be the big magic trick. Moore and Robson made it sound like they worked every angle on Turner to no avail. Not sure if potential players sitting out of Orlando changes interest.


I believe in magic :wink:
Jedzz
Head Coach
Posts: 7,035
And1: 1,453
Joined: Oct 05, 2018
   

Re: Trade Talk (Part Four) 

Post#233 » by Jedzz » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:10 am

basketballRob wrote:
shrink wrote:
basketballRob wrote:Would you guys trade first pick (Edwards) and Johnson for Aaron Gordon and the Magic first pick? We're pretty stacked at the SG-PF position.

They did try to move Gordon at the deadline, so it's possible they'll move him during the draft.

I don’t think most would do this trade. On the Trade Board, most neutral fans think that Aaron Gordon for #16 and Johnson is Gordon’s actual value at this point, and I think going from #16 is worth much less than dropping from #1 to #15.

You might get some takers in the deal if you replace Gordon with Jonathan Isaac, but if MIN got the 1st pick, I don’t think Gordon and #15 would get you there.
The Magic wouldn't really want Johnson and they wouldn't want to add two mid first round picks. We already have Okeke and our front office is funny about adding too many rookies. So i would say 99% chance of that deal not happening.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app


There is also that Johnson's deal is expiring and would save Magic 1 extra year of Gordon's deal. Personally I would rather keep Johnson around as I think his mentality is needed on this team and his skills are good enough and fit for what Wolves need more then some here believe. But to satisfy the Gordon believers would also be fine to see play out next season.

Could I maybe interest you with a Johnson plus signed McLaughlin + SRP? JMac might make a great DJ Augustine replacement on a nominal contract. DJ is 32 and his contract is up. Jmac is better than Markelle Fultz and the ridiculous cost he is. Have you seen much of JMac? I would hate to see him go from here, but I keep hearing of Wolves fans looking for any rookie they can think of to stick infront of him maybe out of lack of respect for how he entered the league or their strange desire for a defensive stopper at PG. If you thought Augustine added value to the team at over 7MM you might find JMAC really interesting.
basketballRob
General Manager
Posts: 8,662
And1: 3,168
Joined: May 05, 2014
     

Re: Trade Talk (Part Four) 

Post#234 » by basketballRob » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:43 am

Jedzz wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
shrink wrote:I don’t think most would do this trade. On the Trade Board, most neutral fans think that Aaron Gordon for #16 and Johnson is Gordon’s actual value at this point, and I think going from #16 is worth much less than dropping from #1 to #15.

You might get some takers in the deal if you replace Gordon with Jonathan Isaac, but if MIN got the 1st pick, I don’t think Gordon and #15 would get you there.
The Magic wouldn't really want Johnson and they wouldn't want to add two mid first round picks. We already have Okeke and our front office is funny about adding too many rookies. So i would say 99% chance of that deal not happening.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app


There is also that Johnson's deal is expiring and would save Magic 1 extra year of Gordon's deal. Personally I would rather keep Johnson around as I think his mentality is needed on this team and his skills are good enough and fit for what Wolves need more then some here believe. But to satisfy the Gordon believers would also be fine to see play out next season.

Could I maybe interest you with a Johnson plus signed McLaughlin + SRP? JMac might make a great DJ Augustine replacement on a nominal contract. DJ is 32 and his contract is up. Jmac is better than Markelle Fultz and the ridiculous cost he is. Have you seen much of JMac? I would hate to see him go from here, but I keep hearing of Wolves fans looking for any rookie they can think of to stick infront of him maybe out of lack of respect for how he entered the league or their strange desire for a defensive stopper at PG. If you thought Augustine added value to the team at over 7MM you might find JMAC really interesting.
It's possible. I know last year their were rumors about AG being possibly traded for Oubre or Dejounte Murray also. So if they don't get a decent player back, i don't see them making a deal.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
Norseman79
Senior
Posts: 551
And1: 151
Joined: Jul 26, 2017
     

Re: Trade Talk (Part Four) 

Post#235 » by Norseman79 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:46 pm

Here is one for you guys to rip up...

Okoge and our 1rst to Raptors for Anunoby and Johnson plus 16 to Magic for AG.

Russell
Beasley
Anunoby
Gordon
Towns
minimus
General Manager
Posts: 7,535
And1: 1,845
Joined: Jan 28, 2011
Location: Germany, Stuttgart area
 

Re: Trade Talk (Part Four) 

Post#236 » by minimus » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:14 pm

Norseman79 wrote:Here is one for you guys to rip up...

Okoge and our 1rst to Raptors for Anunoby and Johnson plus 16 to Magic for AG.

Russell
Beasley
Anunoby
Gordon
Towns


You have beaten me on this!!! :lol:

I was thinking about another combination of trades but I used the same idea: get two defensive-minded, athletic big wings.

1) FRP for Anunoby. After trade, offer Anunoby extension 80mil/4yrs
2) JJ, Evans, Spellman, #16 for Gordon
3) Junacho for UTA #24

Re-sign Beasley to 52mil/4yrs deal. JMac, Martin to 1+3 deals. Draft Tyler Bey.

KAT/Reid/Bey
Gordon/Anunoby/Vanderbilt
Anunoby/Layman/Martin
Beasley/Okogie/Nowell
DLo/Culver/JMac
Norseman79
Senior
Posts: 551
And1: 151
Joined: Jul 26, 2017
     

Re: Trade Talk (Part Four) 

Post#237 » by Norseman79 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:00 pm

minimus wrote:
Norseman79 wrote:Here is one for you guys to rip up...

Okoge and our 1rst to Raptors for Anunoby and Johnson plus 16 to Magic for AG.

Russell
Beasley
Anunoby
Gordon
Towns


You have beaten me on this!!! :lol:

I was thinking about another combination of trades but I used the same idea: get two defensive-minded, athletic big wings.

1) FRP for Anunoby. After trade, offer Anunoby extension 80mil/4yrs
2) JJ, Evans, Spellman, #16 for Gordon
3) Junacho for UTA #24

Re-sign Beasley to 52mil/4yrs deal. JMac, Martin to 1+3 deals. Draft Tyler Bey.

KAT/Reid/Bey
Gordon/Anunoby/Vanderbilt
Anunoby/Layman/Martin
Beasley/Okogie/Nowell
DLo/Culver/JMac


I will keep everything you said but make one change, at 24 I am taking Immanuel Quickly or any PG prospect that drops and I add Nick Richards in 2nd round.

DLo, Quickly, Jmac
Beasley, Culver, Nowell
Anunoby, Okoge, Martin
Gordon, Layman, Vanderbilt
Towns, Reid, Richards

I like Quickley and Richards because they add something at two positions of need... potential 3&D PG and big, athletic defensive C. Now I think Bey has great potential, just looking position wise.
minimus
General Manager
Posts: 7,535
And1: 1,845
Joined: Jan 28, 2011
Location: Germany, Stuttgart area
 

Re: Trade Talk (Part Four) 

Post#238 » by minimus » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:07 pm

Norseman79 wrote:
minimus wrote:
Norseman79 wrote:Here is one for you guys to rip up...

Okoge and our 1rst to Raptors for Anunoby and Johnson plus 16 to Magic for AG.

Russell
Beasley
Anunoby
Gordon
Towns


You have beaten me on this!!! :lol:

I was thinking about another combination of trades but I used the same idea: get two defensive-minded, athletic big wings.

1) FRP for Anunoby. After trade, offer Anunoby extension 80mil/4yrs
2) JJ, Evans, Spellman, #16 for Gordon
3) Junacho for UTA #24

Re-sign Beasley to 52mil/4yrs deal. JMac, Martin to 1+3 deals. Draft Tyler Bey.

KAT/Reid/Bey
Gordon/Anunoby/Vanderbilt
Anunoby/Layman/Martin
Beasley/Okogie/Nowell
DLo/Culver/JMac


I will keep everything you said but make one change, at 24 I am taking Immanuel Quickly or any PG prospect that drops and I add Nick Richards in 2nd round.

DLo, Quickly, Jmac
Beasley, Culver, Nowell
Anunoby, Okoge, Martin
Gordon, Layman, Vanderbilt
Towns, Reid, Richards

I like Quickley and Richards because they add something at two positions of need... potential 3&D PG and big, athletic defensive C. Now I think Bey has great potential, just looking position wise.


If Giannis decides to go sign with TOR, they could use our FRP as well as their future picks.

As for Tyler Bey, I believe that he might be a smallball C/PF. At least at the beginning of his career.
shrink
RealGM
Posts: 43,929
And1: 5,071
Joined: Sep 26, 2005

Re: Trade Talk (Part Four) 

Post#239 » by shrink » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:34 pm

Norseman79 wrote:Here is one for you guys to rip up...

Okoge and our 1rst to Raptors for Anunoby and Johnson plus 16 to Magic for AG.

Russell
Beasley
Anunoby
Gordon
Towns

I have always been a big fan of Anunoby, and I think he has an even higher ceiling.

I just don’t know how you afford a team like this. That’s probably over $100 mil for five starters.
Norseman79
Senior
Posts: 551
And1: 151
Joined: Jul 26, 2017
     

Re: Trade Talk (Part Four) 

Post#240 » by Norseman79 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:42 pm

I feel like if that ends up being your starting 5 you have to nail draft and G league for reserves. If you think about it, how often would more than 3 ever need to be out of a game?

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves