ClarkeW wrote: Jedzz wrote:
gandlogo wrote:Woj just said on ESPN that the eight teams left out are trying to pull together some sort of exhibition league for the fall. Said those teams need the opportunity to work/develop that they would miss out on not playing like the rest of the league. Nothing finalized, but something being discussed. I doubt it gets us televised games, but you never know. But it would be important from a developmental standpoint.
It's just dumb. excluding 8 teams like this. For what? Why shouldn't they be playing if 22 other teams will? This is all so they can attempt to fluke win New Orleans into the playoffs. There is no other reason for it. The only team actually eliminated from the playoffs by record right now is the Warriors. Everyone else is getting the shaft and will now have to wait out these slow bastards that will drag this on into November before taking another break until the Superbowl is over.
They are waiting two months until the end of July. What a joke. I swear someone else should just start a new league and steal the fans out from under this gambling and TV coerced mess of a league.
I’m going to try and answer some of your questions. Not saying I agree with all the answers, but this is the logic behind them...
- They aren’t bringing in all 30 teams because of the extra numbers they would need to bring into the bubble. Those 8 extra teams would mean another 400 people or so, and thus increase the strain on safety precautions, etc.
- 22 teams were chosen because with an 8 game regular season remaining, those are the only teams still in playoff range. Also, the NBA still wants to broadcast as many regular season games as possible due to TV contracts.
- One reason that things aren’t starting up again until the end of July is to allow teams/players to get ready, as has already been discussed and nauseam so I won’t get into it again.
- Another reason it won’t start again until end of July is so that the league can get ready. There are still a million things for them to figure out, primarily regarding player safety, and if their statements so far are any indication they don’t have all the answers yet.
- You mentioned next season not starting until after the Super Bowl. Based on recent reports next season is actually slated to start on Christmas Day (as I anticipated). Can’t see that getting pushed any later than early-mid January or else they risk running over the beginning of football season again next year.
One thing that I wholeheartedly agree with is that Adam Silver would love it if the Pelicans took advantage of this to slide into the 8th seed haha.
I get the intent to try to explain away idiots and evil people being idiots with any kind of logic that can be found. What else is there to do but satisfy one's own sanity by placating yourself rationalizing it all. It's not like we have any choice or input so understand why people do. But I can complain where others can read it to get it off my chest. So that's all I'm doing. I'm not going to placate myself or believe much of the rationalizing to be honest. Not when the real reasons are easy to see and the excuses are full of holes.
Let's just start at your end statement. You admit what Silver would want to see happen. TV execs also want Zion in playoffs to happen. So, if you start there and work yourself backwards you start to find the underlying reason that forces much of the strange decisions. Good luck honestly expecting teams 4 games back to honestly break into the playoffs with an additional 8 games. The worst part is all the adhoc rulings and fomatting that is occuring to make this work. Talk about astericks creating years. If you are keeping some teams out, then just roll with the 16 based on the prior record. It's comepletely fair. If you want more games for TV, then let those teams all play each other a few times and muck up their seeding if you want.
The rest is rationalizing these other odd decisions/choices. Things like waiting until the end of July to start are just because they are slow to act but also forced because of these other goofy choices. This delay/wait could also even have something to do with Zion, because they probably think he needs a special reginment to get back into playing weight.
Choices such as:
--Bringing them all to play at Disney. Why? All you are doing is bringing a lot more people into a single area. When each series starts, both teams could just go to one stadium anywhere and play out the series. One stadium that already has TV cameras setup. Do this for each series in whatever stadiums you want so nobody has home court. This wat you never bring a huge bubble of people together. Have you heard other Disney location rumors/ideas that each team could be allowed to "bring their own court" with them?
I heard that on radio and laughed, they "weren't sure how it could be done in time..." I haven't bothered to think through why they could possibly really want everyone in one area such as Orlando. But it's not going to make any of them any more "safe" having it all piled into one area.
--On the 22 vs 30 teams. If 8 teams is somewhere around 400 people, then the 22 they are bringing is already bringing 1,100 people into one area. What's the big difference between 1,100 and 1500? Both numbers are foolish. One big giant bubble of idiots. Good thing we already know most of the players have already been introduced to the covid. I guess they should only bring in TV people who already have been.
--Playing out/broadcasting TV contracts. What about the 8 teams being cast off from this? They aren't playing out their schedule of broadcasted games. Are they just saying the TV execs don't care because these are bottom feeder teams? Do these 8 teams have to take a cut on the TV money they planned on? This theory about finishing out the TV contracts is full of holes or at least being put out there as a halfassed answer.
Sill, I enjoyed your efforts.