Beasley key to draft

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Re: Beasley key to draft 

Post#121 » by Jedzz » Thu Jul 9, 2020 10:46 pm

shrink wrote:I asked KLOMP

PM him next time. He might let your snake oil by in private.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,599

Post#122 » by shrink » Thu Jul 9, 2020 10:46 pm

Jedzz wrote:
shrink wrote:then you make a Couple strawman arguments like I must think Durant must “suck” because he didn’t make elite criteria in 3 point shooting.

It's not strawman at all. Durant shot 3s worse than Beasley did at the same 5 attempts per game in the same season. So obviously you think Durant isn't an elite shooter either. MLE limit for Durant right? Is Durant a defensive juggernaut? Bear hugging Towns until Durant falls to the floor? That guy? He's a scoring star making ching, just a little bit shy of what a young Beasley can shoot it seems.

If you think ALL non-elite shooters can only get the MLE, you’re a moron. Obviously, other skills affect the overall value of a player. If you think I said differently, you are either a further moron, or just lying because you are angry and pouting.

I have been here a while, and I have always appreciated it when other posters have different because it makes discussions interesting. But there is a difference between honestly disagreeing, and trolling. You constantly make strawman arguments, make intentionally ridiculous inferences and apply them to others.

I realize this is the internet, but this is generally an adult forum, and as many have told you, time and again, your immaturity and intellectual dishonesty has made you a pariah among several posters here. I generally give posters many chances, so it’s hard to make my ignore list, but you have no interest in debating honestly or listening to others.

Bye bye - contact me again in five years when you’re older and have developed some self-respect. Right now, I won’t waste time giving you attention for this behavior.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#123 » by Jedzz » Thu Jul 9, 2020 11:08 pm

shrink wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
shrink wrote:then you make a Couple strawman arguments like I must think Durant must “suck” because he didn’t make elite criteria in 3 point shooting.

It's not strawman at all. Durant shot 3s worse than Beasley did at the same 5 attempts per game in the same season. So obviously you think Durant isn't an elite shooter either. MLE limit for Durant right? Is Durant a defensive juggernaut? Bear hugging Towns until Durant falls to the floor? That guy? He's a scoring star making ching, just a little bit shy of what a young Beasley can shoot it seems.

If you think all non-elite shooters get the MLE, you’re a moron. Did you know other skills affect the overall value of a player? If you think I said differently, you are just saying it because you are angry and pouting.

Here we go again. Your strawman stuff. Nobody said all non-elite shooters are worth no more than the MLE except you with 15 posts to that point. You have claimed Beasley is just below ever yet increasing Elite stat line for shooting and therefore doesn't deserve more than the MLE. Go ahead, claim you haven't said exactly that 15 different ways now.

Don't throw your bogus claims on my shoulders. I'm not your scarecrow.

Other skills? As if we haven't been talking about his others skills! You are the one that has been avoiding everything positive about him and instead harping falsely about his shooting skills. You've focused there and made it easy to argue against.

Oh I see, here comes some more personal attacks. Now I'm a pouter. Easier than focusing on Beasley's actual play I suppose.

Can you or can you not prove us wrong about Beasley already displaying shooting skills of the elite? He's a fourth year player displaying everything all the great shooters and gamers of the league right now are displaying only he's been forced to do it from a mix of bench roles and limited starting games because his previous team had plans to get him to stay for cheap too. He gone. As it is now, we apparently even have people here that want to continue taking advantage of who he is and all the hard work he's put in to out play where he was drafted. He truly has. Why can't you give that recognition to him? Don't answer. I already know why.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#124 » by Jedzz » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:11 am

shrink wrote:I realize this is the internet, but this is generally an adult forum, and as many have told you, time and again, your immaturity and intellectual dishonesty has made you a pariah among several posters here.

Bye bye - contact me again in five years when you’re older and have developed some self-respect. Right now, I won’t waste time giving you attention for this behavior.

Intellectual disonesty now? Boy you just don't stop when you've been caught posting ugly, do you? Oh I see I'm also not posting as an adult enough, immature even. I see.

This is at least the third and fourth personal attack in a post in as many days on me and my character by you. Yes this is you doing so. Here you are again with the nerve to throw out your childish personal attacks and then attempt to claim you can talk down to others and claim they are doing it? Who exactly is intellectually dishonest? Maybe you are being dishonest with yourself. Maybe you are just now starting to become aware of just how personal you have been getting in this prolonged defensive tact you've taken and the only way you can see out of it is to double down and then deflect. Yes, I suppose that could be it. What do you think?

I'll rest on my posts using numbers for Beasley from a well respected website. Not from my imagination. not from any kind of agenda. I haven't even asked you entertain the idea of my opinions. I've offered what the numbers say. Because I know you are just concerned about the numbers. How immature of me.

See you on the backhanded side of your next passive aggressive post 'not directed at me'.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#125 » by Mattya » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:56 pm

Like clockwork.
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 3,984

Post#126 » by wolves_89 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:16 pm

My question on Beasley relates to his market. There are likely only 6 teams with cap space this off-season and of those I see little chance that PHX, MIA, or ATL make him an offer. Of the remaining teams NYK has Barret at SG, DET has Kennard, and CHO is still paying Batum. Even if a team is looking for a SG I'm guessing Bogdanovic (RFA) and Joe Harris would be ahead of Malik on other team's wish lists. Depending on the lottery there is also a chance that NYK/DET/CHO draft a SG. I could also see one or more of those teams using their cap to take on unwanted contracts for assets. I just don't see many potential options for driving up Beasley's price, especially when teams know he's a RFA who the Wolves want to retain.

I'm really curious who people think is going to make a play for Beasley and what that offer might look like.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,907

Post#127 » by Klomp » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:27 pm

wolves_89 wrote:My question on Beasley relates to his market. There are likely only 6 teams with cap space this off-season and of those I see little chance that PHX, MIA, or ATL make him an offer. Of the remaining teams NYK has Barret at SG, DET has Kennard, and CHO is still paying Batum. Even if a team is looking for a SG I'm guessing Bogdanovic (RFA) and Joe Harris would be ahead of Malik on other team's wish lists. Depending on the lottery there is also a chance that NYK/DET/CHO draft a SG. I could also see one or more of those teams using their cap to take on unwanted contracts for assets. I just don't see many potential options for driving up Beasley's price, especially when teams know he's a RFA who the Wolves want to retain.

I'm really curious who people think is going to make a play for Beasley and what that offer might look like.

A lot of people think Atlanta is the team to watch
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
wolves_89
Head Coach

Post#128 » by wolves_89 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:25 pm

Klomp wrote:
wolves_89 wrote:My question on Beasley relates to his market. There are likely only 6 teams with cap space this off-season and of those I see little chance that PHX, MIA, or ATL make him an offer. Of the remaining teams NYK has Barret at SG, DET has Kennard, and CHO is still paying Batum. Even if a team is looking for a SG I'm guessing Bogdanovic (RFA) and Joe Harris would be ahead of Malik on other team's wish lists. Depending on the lottery there is also a chance that NYK/DET/CHO draft a SG. I could also see one or more of those teams using their cap to take on unwanted contracts for assets. I just don't see many potential options for driving up Beasley's price, especially when teams know he's a RFA who the Wolves want to retain.

That would surprise me a bit since they have Huerter, Hunter, and Reddish as young wing options (plus some chance of drafting Edwards/Ball/Hayes depending on how the lottery falls). The Hawks do have a lot of money to spend, so I guess it could make sense to go after the remaining RFA guys (Ingram/Bogdonovic/Beasley) if their current teams try to play hardball in contract negotiations.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,599

Post#129 » by shrink » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:42 pm

The people I listen to think the best offer will be at the MLE, or maybe slightly a bit more. Remember, DEN offered him 3 for $30 and he turned it down, so he will hope to save face by getting something higher than this. My guess though is still only 3 for $33.

Covid has crushed cap space, and teams may want to hold onto their flexibility for the better 2021 free agent class. Beasley will have some appeal since the teams that have cap space are primarily rebuilding through youth, but because Covid shortened the season, he didn’t get a lot of opportunity to raise other’s opinions of him as a starter.

One last thing I’d mention: Let’s not rule out the chance Beasley will just play one year for the qualifying offer. Most young players who haven’t made much over their career yet will choose a deal that locks in multiple years in case of a career-ending injury, but Beasley already showed last year that he is willing to gamble on himself.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#130 » by Jedzz » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:45 pm

wolves_89 wrote:
Klomp wrote:

That would surprise me a bit since they have Huerter, Hunter, and Reddish as young wing options (plus some chance of drafting Edwards/Ball/Hayes depending on how the lottery falls). The Hawks do have a lot of money to spend, so I guess it could make sense to go after the remaining RFA guys (Ingram/Bogdonovic/Beasley) if their current teams try to play hardball in contract negotiations.

A bird in the hand is better than, in this case a questionable rookie draft pick. Beasey is only 4 years in. It's not like a proposal of throwing up a huge deal for an older vet shooter to play on your spring chicken roster. Most of the teams you mentioned have the cap flexibility to both offer somethiong decent to Beasley and also draft a player and have the time to play both of them. Especially if they aren't feeling great about their current young players on roster. Atlanta does seem deep already. Huerter doesn't look like his shooting is going to fall off any. I think he maintains a 38/39 for a while. Hunter I'm maybe less impressed with the possible ceiling of his shooting. Reddish really started slow but then equally revved up shooting 3s starting in January. Hard not to be impressed with what Reddish was doing from Jan and on. Maybe he's going to continue to be a streaky player longterm. Difficult to say but Atlanta may not have this need for Beasley.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#131 » by Klomp » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:26 pm

wolves_89 wrote:That would surprise me a bit since they have Huerter, Hunter, and Reddish as young wing options (plus some chance of drafting Edwards/Ball/Hayes depending on how the lottery falls). The Hawks do have a lot of money to spend, so I guess it could make sense to go after the remaining RFA guys (Ingram/Bogdonovic/Beasley) if their current teams try to play hardball in contract negotiations.

Fair point on the draft pick, but their current options are more SF than SG other than Huerter and I'm not letting Huerter stop me from upgrading talent.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#132 » by Klomp » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:12 pm

shrink wrote:The people I listen to think the best offer will be at the MLE, or maybe slightly a bit more. Remember, DEN offered him 3 for $30 and he turned it down, so he will hope to save face by getting something higher than this. My guess though is still only 3 for $33.

Covid has crushed cap space, and teams may want to hold onto their flexibility for the better 2021 free agent class. Beasley will have some appeal since the teams that have cap space are primarily rebuilding through youth, but because Covid shortened the season, he didn’t get a lot of opportunity to raise other’s opinions of him as a starter.

One last thing I’d mention: Let’s not rule out the chance Beasley will just play one year for the qualifying offer. Most young players who haven’t made much over their career yet will choose a deal that locks in multiple years in case of a career-ending injury, but Beasley already showed last year that he is willing to gamble on himself.

The post-COVID situation certainly adds some unknowns, especially when it comes to RFAs. But while we may not be bidding as high as other teams, we still have to technically bid against Beasley. I don't want to chance him playing on the qualifying offer.

karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 691

Post#133 » by karch34 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:03 pm

I think Rosa's really likes Beasley. I think they let him explore thinking an offer they wouldn't match is unlikely and give him a decent offer above the 3/30 he declined. I remember Dane Moore saying something that Beasley acknowledged his D needs to improve and think that along with fact he seems to have some leadership qualities as a young vet means we view him as long term piece.
wolves_89
Head Coach

Post#134 » by wolves_89 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:38 pm

shrink wrote:One last thing I’d mention: Let’s not rule out the chance Beasley will just play one year for the qualifying offer. Most young players who haven’t made much over their career yet will choose a deal that locks in multiple years in case of a career-ending injury, but Beasley already showed last year that he is willing to gamble on himself.

It will be an interesting to see how Beasley's RFA plays out, especially since I believe there is only 3 weeks from the start of free agency (Oct 18) until training camps open (Nov 10). I'm hoping it doesn't happen, but I could see a scenario where Beasley isn't getting what he's looking for and he accepts the QO because there isn't time to wait for a better offer to come along.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#135 » by Jedzz » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:36 am

Klomp wrote:I don't want to chance him playing on the qualifying offer.
It could potentially get quite expensive after a year of playing in this system where he's asked to shoot more than maybe prior. When we look at what he's averaged in starting games previously the numbers are up there. If he continued that for a full season of starting on QO, not sure what happens then. Better to sign now if they can.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,721

Post#136 » by minimus » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:17 am

One thing I noticed about Beasley is that he has been a willing to run in fast break, BUT despite being 3 inches shorter than Wiggins, he has been able to rebound the ball at the same, if not superior level. Also, it is evident that both KAT and DLo are willing outlet passers, which is also a big difference if we compare our offense lead by Teague.

He took more shots at rim than in DEN, reduced number of midrange shots and shot more from 3pt. Combine this with his fast break game and that is almost perfect shot selection for 3rd option in offense. He depends heavily on offense motion and KAT/DLo playmaking, as he does not have any advanced ballhandling moves and cant finish well with his left hand. But these issues as well as defense can be addressed via coaching, offseason work and experience.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves