ImageImageImage

2020 NBA Draft Prospects: Thread II

Moderators: Domejandro, Calinks, Worm Guts

Who should Minnesota Pick at #1 (Assuming Minnesota keeps the pick)?

Anthony Edwards
41
41%
LaMelo Ball
24
24%
James Wiseman
35
35%
 
Total votes: 100

theGreatRC
RealGM
Posts: 17,371
And1: 3,899
Joined: Oct 12, 2006
Location: California
 

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Prospects: Thread II 

Post#1441 » by theGreatRC » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:26 pm

That Vassell form is disgusting. I'd still take him at 17 if he falls lol.
2020 Wolves will make the playoffs
Norseman79
Senior
Posts: 665
And1: 193
Joined: Jul 26, 2017
     

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Prospects: Thread II 

Post#1442 » by Norseman79 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:55 pm

Can anyone explain toe the fascination with drafting another guard? Unless it is a backup pg, trading one of our current, or you are not resigning Beasley.

Backup PG I get, though I thought JMac earned his time. SG we have Beasley, Culver, Okogie, and several dleaguers. Now I get picking one of you think he is All-star good, but I don't clearly see that out of any prospects, of course there is always a chance.

Our forwards are disgusting. Not in a good way. Vanderbilt is unknown, Juancho is a nice role player as is Layman. You may get away with starting one of them, but no way should two of them be starting. It's time to start looking and loading up on 6'8+ forwards that are not twigs, athletic and can defend multiple positions, with high motors.

Big men are ok, could use a defensive big as a backup or situational player.

Need to see combine measurements before I 100% commit, also need to see plan for Beasley.
Biff Cooper
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,338
And1: 72
Joined: Jan 02, 2009
Location: Northern Minnesota
 

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Prospects: Thread II 

Post#1443 » by Biff Cooper » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:18 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
minimus wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Vassell and Haliburton are players with poor form, but the shots go in. Sean Marion was the poster boy for that. What I don't get is that why is this news. Didn't he have his shooting form on display for a whole season?


Marion is not a wing. Haliburton is a wing.

To me Haliburton is a PG.

To me Marion was a wing.
minimus
General Manager
Posts: 8,272
And1: 2,070
Joined: Jan 28, 2011
Location: Germany, Stuttgart area
 

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Prospects: Thread II 

Post#1444 » by minimus » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:19 pm

Biff Cooper wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
minimus wrote:
Marion is not a wing. Haliburton is a wing.

To me Haliburton is a PG.

To me Marion was a wing.


20 years ago
Norseman79
Senior
Posts: 665
And1: 193
Joined: Jul 26, 2017
     

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Prospects: Thread II 

Post#1445 » by Norseman79 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:32 pm

minimus wrote:
Biff Cooper wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:To me Haliburton is a PG.

To me Marion was a wing.


20 years ago


My guess is he would have been a wing on the Lakers team that just won
minimus
General Manager
Posts: 8,272
And1: 2,070
Joined: Jan 28, 2011
Location: Germany, Stuttgart area
 

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Prospects: Thread II 

Post#1446 » by minimus » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:40 pm

Norseman79 wrote:
minimus wrote:
Biff Cooper wrote:To me Marion was a wing.

20 years ago

My guess is he would have been a wing on the Lakers team that just won


My guess is he would kill any spacing playing to non shooting big such as McGee, DH. Even 10-15 years ago he played for super modern D'Antoni "seven seconds" with Nash or next to one of the greatest shooting big in Nowitzki.

P.S. For sure he could have been a great fit next to KAT. Wing in defense, big man in offense.
Norseman79
Senior
Posts: 665
And1: 193
Joined: Jul 26, 2017
     

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Prospects: Thread II 

Post#1447 » by Norseman79 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:53 pm

minimus wrote:
Norseman79 wrote:
minimus wrote:20 years ago

My guess is he would have been a wing on the Lakers team that just won


My guess is he would kill any spacing playing to non shooting big such as McGee, DH. Even 10-15 years ago he played for super modern D'Antoni "seven seconds" with Nash or next to one of the greatest shooting big in Nowitzki.

P.S. For sure he could have been a great fit next to KAT. Wing in defense, big man in offense.


I guess it depends on how you view his shooting,a career 33% 3pt shooter, and even higher when playing with Nash, it wasn't like Marion was a complete liability, unless asked to create his shot.

Marion was a wing, and would still be on many teams. Simply look at Jerami Grant...

When I say wing, I mean forward, they are interchangeable terms to me.
minimus
General Manager
Posts: 8,272
And1: 2,070
Joined: Jan 28, 2011
Location: Germany, Stuttgart area
 

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Prospects: Thread II 

Post#1448 » by minimus » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:00 pm

Norseman79 wrote:
minimus wrote:
Norseman79 wrote:My guess is he would have been a wing on the Lakers team that just won


My guess is he would kill any spacing playing to non shooting big such as McGee, DH. Even 10-15 years ago he played for super modern D'Antoni "seven seconds" with Nash or next to one of the greatest shooting big in Nowitzki.

P.S. For sure he could have been a great fit next to KAT. Wing in defense, big man in offense.


I guess it depends on how you view his shooting,a career 33% 3pt shooter, and even higher when playing with Nash, it wasn't like Marion was a complete liability, unless asked to create his shot.

Marion was a wing, and would still be on many teams. Simply look at Jerami Grant...

When I say wing, I mean forward, they are interchangeable terms to me.


Sure he could play next to shooting big such as KAT, AD, Jokic, Nowitzki etc. But I dont see in current NBA him playing next to Gober, Nurkic, Embiid. Because Marion not only was a bad shooter, he also could not dribble.
KGdaBom
RealGM
Posts: 10,743
And1: 2,198
Joined: Jun 22, 2017
         

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Prospects: Thread II 

Post#1449 » by KGdaBom » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:34 pm

Norseman79 wrote:
minimus wrote:
Norseman79 wrote:My guess is he would have been a wing on the Lakers team that just won


My guess is he would kill any spacing playing to non shooting big such as McGee, DH. Even 10-15 years ago he played for super modern D'Antoni "seven seconds" with Nash or next to one of the greatest shooting big in Nowitzki.

P.S. For sure he could have been a great fit next to KAT. Wing in defense, big man in offense.


I guess it depends on how you view his shooting,a career 33% 3pt shooter, and even higher when playing with Nash, it wasn't like Marion was a complete liability, unless asked to create his shot.

Marion was a wing, and would still be on many teams. Simply look at Jerami Grant...

When I say wing, I mean forward, they are interchangeable terms to me.

This is why I say Nash was the best offensive player to ever play the game. Not only did he shoot 50-40-90 but he made superstars out of Marion and Stoudemire and every other player who played with him played better with him.
UnFadeable21
Senior
Posts: 556
And1: 122
Joined: Mar 30, 2019

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Prospects: Thread II 

Post#1450 » by UnFadeable21 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:31 pm

Norseman79 wrote:Can anyone explain toe the fascination with drafting another guard? Unless it is a backup pg, trading one of our current, or you are not resigning Beasley.

Backup PG I get, though I thought JMac earned his time. SG we have Beasley, Culver, Okogie, and several dleaguers. Now I get picking one of you think he is All-star good, but I don't clearly see that out of any prospects, of course there is always a chance.

Our forwards are disgusting. Not in a good way. Vanderbilt is unknown, Juancho is a nice role player as is Layman. You may get away with starting one of them, but no way should two of them be starting. It's time to start looking and loading up on 6'8+ forwards that are not twigs, athletic and can defend multiple positions, with high motors.

Big men are ok, could use a defensive big as a backup or situational player.

Need to see combine measurements before I 100% commit, also need to see plan for Beasley.


Wolves aren’t good enough to worry about fit right now. We just need to acquire the best talent and keep collecting assets.
UnFadeable21
Senior
Posts: 556
And1: 122
Joined: Mar 30, 2019

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Prospects: Thread II 

Post#1451 » by UnFadeable21 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:33 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21




1. What's the latest on the No. 1 pick race?

Givony: Teams around the league say that Minnesota has been active in trade discussions, exploring multiple options with the No. 1 pick.

General manager Gersson Rosas is known to cast a wide net and keep things close to the vest. Agents with prospects projected to be picked at the top of the draft say Rosas has been noncommittal regarding his intentions, and he appears open to looking at players projected in the middle of the lottery. That could signal a willingness to move down a few slots in the draft while picking up another asset.

Guards LaMelo Ball and Anthony Edwards remain the most likely candidates here if Minnesota stays put. But until we get more clarity on the Wolves' ownership situation, it will be difficult to predict their plans.

2. Who are the contenders for the Warriors at No. 2 if they keep the pick?

Schmitz: Agents and executives around the league consider Memphis big James Wiseman the most likely selection if the Warriors keep this pick.

Head coach Steve Kerr has said publicly that the Warriors need a jolt of athleticism, and Wiseman is one of the most physically impressive centers we've ever evaluated. While Wiseman is not the most NBA-ready prospect given his three-game college career and still-evolving feel, the Warriors will likely want to both fill a need at center and select a future building block here. Wiseman satisfies both.

Deni Avdija, Tyrese Haliburton, Isaac Okoro, Obi Toppin and Onyeka Okongwu all fit well with the roster, but the general feeling around the league is that Golden State would try to trade down before selecting any of those prospects No. 2 overall.


3. Which prospects are most likely to rise between now and the draft?

Schmitz: That's more difficult than usual to predict given the uncertainty surrounding the pre-draft process. But big wings with two-way potential have never been more valuable, which bodes well for prospects such as Devin Vassell, Saddiq Bey, Patrick Williams, Jaden McDaniels and Josh Green.


Williams is garnering as much upward momentum as any prospect in the draft over the past few months. The 19-year-old Florida State product is 6-foot-8 and 225 pounds with a 7-foot wingspan. He brings some ball-handling skills and seems to have a strong chance of landing in the top 10.

Moving forward, McDaniels seems most likely to rise to me. If executives end up seeing him in a one-on-zero workout like I did last week in Santa Barbara, California, it's hard to envision him making it out of the top 20 -- a sweet spot for playoff teams that can be patient and feel good about their organizational infrastructure. Although he had an inconsistent season on an underachieving Washington team, McDaniels is a 6-10 wing with a soft touch from 3 and fluidity with the ball in his hands. At some point some team is going to swing on the talent.




Jedzz
General Manager
Posts: 8,309
And1: 1,750
Joined: Oct 05, 2018
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Prospects: Thread II 

Post#1452 » by Jedzz » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:54 pm

theGreatRC wrote:That Vassell form is disgusting. I'd still take him at 17 if he falls lol.


:lol:
Rookie-Mistake
Senior
Posts: 564
And1: 174
Joined: Jun 27, 2008
         

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Prospects: Thread II 

Post#1453 » by Rookie-Mistake » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:25 am

Good. This is what I want to hear. No leaks. No consensus coming from us if we pick #1. Teams will offer more close to the draft.
UnFadeable21 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21




1. What's the latest on the No. 1 pick race?

Givony: Teams around the league say that Minnesota has been active in trade discussions, exploring multiple options with the No. 1 pick.

General manager Gersson Rosas is known to cast a wide net and keep things close to the vest. Agents with prospects projected to be picked at the top of the draft say Rosas has been noncommittal regarding his intentions, and he appears open to looking at players projected in the middle of the lottery. That could signal a willingness to move down a few slots in the draft while picking up another asset.

Guards LaMelo Ball and Anthony Edwards remain the most likely candidates here if Minnesota stays put. But until we get more clarity on the Wolves' ownership situation, it will be difficult to predict their plans.

2. Who are the contenders for the Warriors at No. 2 if they keep the pick?

Schmitz: Agents and executives around the league consider Memphis big James Wiseman the most likely selection if the Warriors keep this pick.

Head coach Steve Kerr has said publicly that the Warriors need a jolt of athleticism, and Wiseman is one of the most physically impressive centers we've ever evaluated. While Wiseman is not the most NBA-ready prospect given his three-game college career and still-evolving feel, the Warriors will likely want to both fill a need at center and select a future building block here. Wiseman satisfies both.

Deni Avdija, Tyrese Haliburton, Isaac Okoro, Obi Toppin and Onyeka Okongwu all fit well with the roster, but the general feeling around the league is that Golden State would try to trade down before selecting any of those prospects No. 2 overall.


3. Which prospects are most likely to rise between now and the draft?

Schmitz: That's more difficult than usual to predict given the uncertainty surrounding the pre-draft process. But big wings with two-way potential have never been more valuable, which bodes well for prospects such as Devin Vassell, Saddiq Bey, Patrick Williams, Jaden McDaniels and Josh Green.


Williams is garnering as much upward momentum as any prospect in the draft over the past few months. The 19-year-old Florida State product is 6-foot-8 and 225 pounds with a 7-foot wingspan. He brings some ball-handling skills and seems to have a strong chance of landing in the top 10.

Moving forward, McDaniels seems most likely to rise to me. If executives end up seeing him in a one-on-zero workout like I did last week in Santa Barbara, California, it's hard to envision him making it out of the top 20 -- a sweet spot for playoff teams that can be patient and feel good about their organizational infrastructure. Although he had an inconsistent season on an underachieving Washington team, McDaniels is a 6-10 wing with a soft touch from 3 and fluidity with the ball in his hands. At some point some team is going to swing on the talent.






Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using RealGM mobile app
KGdaBom
RealGM
Posts: 10,743
And1: 2,198
Joined: Jun 22, 2017
         

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Prospects: Thread II 

Post#1454 » by KGdaBom » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:27 am

minimus wrote:
Norseman79 wrote:
minimus wrote:
My guess is he would kill any spacing playing to non shooting big such as McGee, DH. Even 10-15 years ago he played for super modern D'Antoni "seven seconds" with Nash or next to one of the greatest shooting big in Nowitzki.

P.S. For sure he could have been a great fit next to KAT. Wing in defense, big man in offense.


I guess it depends on how you view his shooting,a career 33% 3pt shooter, and even higher when playing with Nash, it wasn't like Marion was a complete liability, unless asked to create his shot.

Marion was a wing, and would still be on many teams. Simply look at Jerami Grant...

When I say wing, I mean forward, they are interchangeable terms to me.


Sure he could play next to shooting big such as KAT, AD, Jokic, Nowitzki etc. But I dont see in current NBA him playing next to Gober, Nurkic, Embiid. Because Marion not only was a bad shooter, he also could not dribble.

Marion wasn't a bad shooter. Bad form but made solid percent from three and very high percent from 2,
minimus
General Manager
Posts: 8,272
And1: 2,070
Joined: Jan 28, 2011
Location: Germany, Stuttgart area
 

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Prospects: Thread II 

Post#1455 » by minimus » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:44 am

KGdaBom wrote:
minimus wrote:
Norseman79 wrote:
I guess it depends on how you view his shooting,a career 33% 3pt shooter, and even higher when playing with Nash, it wasn't like Marion was a complete liability, unless asked to create his shot.

Marion was a wing, and would still be on many teams. Simply look at Jerami Grant...

When I say wing, I mean forward, they are interchangeable terms to me.


Sure he could play next to shooting big such as KAT, AD, Jokic, Nowitzki etc. But I dont see in current NBA him playing next to Gober, Nurkic, Embiid. Because Marion not only was a bad shooter, he also could not dribble.

Marion wasn't a bad shooter. Bad form but made solid percent from three and very high percent from 2


He had unorthodox, low point release that is why he shot uncontested, wide open threes. His very high percent from 2, is not indicator of his jumpshot, because he mostly took high percentage shots at rim.
Jedzz
General Manager
Posts: 8,309
And1: 1,750
Joined: Oct 05, 2018
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Prospects: Thread II 

Post#1456 » by Jedzz » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:59 pm

Rookie-Mistake wrote:
UnFadeable21 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21




1. What's the latest on the No. 1 pick race?

Givony: Teams around the league say that Minnesota has been active in trade discussions, exploring multiple options with the No. 1 pick.

General manager Gersson Rosas is known to cast a wide net and keep things close to the vest. Agents with prospects projected to be picked at the top of the draft say Rosas has been noncommittal regarding his intentions, and he appears open to looking at players projected in the middle of the lottery. That could signal a willingness to move down a few slots in the draft while picking up another asset.

Guards LaMelo Ball and Anthony Edwards remain the most likely candidates here if Minnesota stays put. But until we get more clarity on the Wolves' ownership situation, it will be difficult to predict their plans.

2. Who are the contenders for the Warriors at No. 2 if they keep the pick?

Schmitz: Agents and executives around the league consider Memphis big James Wiseman the most likely selection if the Warriors keep this pick.

Head coach Steve Kerr has said publicly that the Warriors need a jolt of athleticism, and Wiseman is one of the most physically impressive centers we've ever evaluated. While Wiseman is not the most NBA-ready prospect given his three-game college career and still-evolving feel, the Warriors will likely want to both fill a need at center and select a future building block here. Wiseman satisfies both.

Deni Avdija, Tyrese Haliburton, Isaac Okoro, Obi Toppin and Onyeka Okongwu all fit well with the roster, but the general feeling around the league is that Golden State would try to trade down before selecting any of those prospects No. 2 overall.


3. Which prospects are most likely to rise between now and the draft?

Schmitz: That's more difficult than usual to predict given the uncertainty surrounding the pre-draft process. But big wings with two-way potential have never been more valuable, which bodes well for prospects such as Devin Vassell, Saddiq Bey, Patrick Williams, Jaden McDaniels and Josh Green.


Williams is garnering as much upward momentum as any prospect in the draft over the past few months. The 19-year-old Florida State product is 6-foot-8 and 225 pounds with a 7-foot wingspan. He brings some ball-handling skills and seems to have a strong chance of landing in the top 10.

Moving forward, McDaniels seems most likely to rise to me. If executives end up seeing him in a one-on-zero workout like I did last week in Santa Barbara, California, it's hard to envision him making it out of the top 20 -- a sweet spot for playoff teams that can be patient and feel good about their organizational infrastructure. Although he had an inconsistent season on an underachieving Washington team, McDaniels is a 6-10 wing with a soft touch from 3 and fluidity with the ball in his hands. At some point some team is going to swing on the talent.





Good. This is what I want to hear. No leaks. No consensus coming from us if we pick #1. Teams will offer more close to the draft.


The Warriors seem disconcerted about their offers so far, so they appear to be starting to leak that they might be willing to take some of these other named players in the 4-10 range at pick #2. To rattle them a bit and bring about uncertainty. Like I've said before, this draft might end up deeper with nba caliber players then claimed with a nice collection in the 4-10 range, and then more. It seems other teams maybe see this and don't give a flying leap who teams like MN or GSW pick or don't pick from the hyped projects up top.

The Avidja and Killian Hayes options are the ones I have to think further about. Because they seem to have the game IQ. Hayes appears to have some of the better PG and passing skills people claim Ball has, maybe without the questionable decisionmaking and game theory issues Ball may have. However these are international players that might end up with language barriers and culture fit issues with your team. If they somehow turn out to be Doncic good, it won't matter because everyone will be forced to fit to him. If they turn out to be role players, such differences might cause them to be outsiders within the team for a while. In a more established successful team environment that might not matter. Here, where either you are Towns buddy or he gets you booted this could be an issue.

MN and Rosas have a tough decision to make if they are to pick a player at #1 that could define their future positively or negatively no matter what the reason they make the choice. Could get a bust. Could draft a nonfit. Could draft for retaining that #1 pick value for trade later. Or, could draft the best player of this draft that would perfectly complement the team and plan for them to be part of the present and future, but this might require being seen as a reach. Could trade it away for peanuts if current rumored offers are real. Tough decision.

I agree however, as draft draws closer the offers should get better. Warriors wanting to trade also at first glance would appear to hurt our chances. But maybe their threatoning sales tactics end up helping both them and MN.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,590
And1: 572
Joined: May 22, 2001

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Prospects: Thread II 

Post#1457 » by Dewey » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:11 pm

Once workouts take place certain teams will “fall in love” with certain players... teams will barter and deals will be made. Done.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
KGdaBom
RealGM
Posts: 10,743
And1: 2,198
Joined: Jun 22, 2017
         

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Prospects: Thread II 

Post#1458 » by KGdaBom » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:35 pm

minimus wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
minimus wrote:
Sure he could play next to shooting big such as KAT, AD, Jokic, Nowitzki etc. But I dont see in current NBA him playing next to Gober, Nurkic, Embiid. Because Marion not only was a bad shooter, he also could not dribble.

Marion wasn't a bad shooter. Bad form but made solid percent from three and very high percent from 2


He had unorthodox, low point release that is why he shot uncontested, wide open threes. His very high percent from 2, is not indicator of his jumpshot, because he mostly took high percentage shots at rim.

If he's good at making them than he is good at making them. No matter where you shoot from making them is the object of the game. If he can make them from 3 and 2 how can you act like he isn't a good shooter.
User avatar
LibertyPrime
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,883
And1: 1,498
Joined: Dec 08, 2013
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Prospects: Thread II 

Post#1459 » by LibertyPrime » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:05 pm

Honestly, I'm pretty sure that in a few years, saying that "We didn't draft Wiseman because we had KAT already" is gonna sound a little bit like "we didn't draft Steph Curry because we had Ricky Rubio and Jonny Flynn already". Is that hyperbole? Yeah, and I sure hope I'm wrong. :(
"The last domino falls here!"
Neeva
Veteran
Posts: 2,854
And1: 935
Joined: Jun 03, 2016

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Prospects: Thread II 

Post#1460 » by Neeva » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:48 pm

You will be in a few years wiseman wont even have top ten draft pick value.. he will be ayton 2.0.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves