ImageImageImage

2020 NBA Draft Prospects: Thread II

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Who should Minnesota Pick at #1 (Assuming Minnesota keeps the pick)?

Anthony Edwards
42%
LaMelo Ball
22%
James Wiseman
35%

Total votes: 116

Midw35t
Senior
And1: 564

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Prospects: Thread II 

Post#61 » by Midw35t » Wed Sep 2, 2020 7:55 pm

minimus wrote:
thinktank wrote:
minimus wrote:
Millsap is much heavier... This guy reminds me Millsap a lot

I think Williams is going to be TOUGH in the NBA. Maybe not as big as Millsap but the guy is going to be ripped in the NBA. Gritty player. He’s one of my boom picks.

What are his strengths? Versatility? Toughness?

Defense, Defense, Defense. He just has the instinct. Would be perfect in our small ball system at the 4. Switchable on at least 4 positions. Has a decent handle, pull up game, 3pt shot, playmaking. The offense is definitely a work in progress. But he has great potential to be a 3 and D rim protecting 4.

He has the tools to be our LeBron, Kawhi, Giannis stopper. Which you absolutely need in the playoffs.
Midw35t
Senior
And1: 564

Post#62 » by Midw35t » Wed Sep 2, 2020 7:59 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Midw35t wrote:Assuming we stay at #1 then Wiseman has to be the pick. You don't get cute at #1, you take the most gifted talent. That is Wiseman.

If we trade out of #1 to 2-4, I'm taking Deni.

I hope we get 2 of Nesmith, Patrick Williams, Bey, Bey, Paul Reed, Precious, Desmond Bane with our two other picks. Though I'll be surprised if Rosa's walks away with 3 rookies.

Preach it brother.
If we trade back though I want Okongwu.

I can't decide on OO. He is versatile, but has not shown any semblance of stretching the floor. I think he just complicates our system.

Wiseman you can at least see the form and he has shown the ability to hit 3s in high school/aau.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,823

Post#63 » by KGdaBom » Wed Sep 2, 2020 8:23 pm

Midw35t wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Midw35t wrote:Assuming we stay at #1 then Wiseman has to be the pick. You don't get cute at #1, you take the most gifted talent. That is Wiseman.

If we trade out of #1 to 2-4, I'm taking Deni.

I hope we get 2 of Nesmith, Patrick Williams, Bey, Bey, Paul Reed, Precious, Desmond Bane with our two other picks. Though I'll be surprised if Rosa's walks away with 3 rookies.

Preach it brother.
If we trade back though I want Okongwu.

I can't decide on OO. He is versatile, but has not shown any semblance of stretching the floor. I think he just complicates our system.

Wiseman you can at least see the form and he has shown the ability to hit 3s in high school/aau.

We have plenty of 3 point shooters. OO may or may not develop that. We could start Russell, Beasley, Hernangomez and KAT with him. The high low game of KAT to OO or vice Versa would be devastating.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#64 » by Jedzz » Wed Sep 2, 2020 11:55 pm

thinktank wrote:
Jedzz wrote:Any thoughts on whether Onyeka Okongwu would simply turn into Gorgui Dieng once in the NBA? Dieng was a blocking fiend in college and played a little bit more above rim than he ever did once in the NBA.

Don’t think so.

G was slow-footed and not very athletic.

OO looks very quick and athletic.

OO is still young, and still playing against smaller college players.
Dieng in college...

Did he just get old too fast, get lazy? Did refs cause him to backoff? Or do the NBA sized players make it much more difficult to defend as aggressively?

I know this past January when the team probably told him to play for his next team's interest we saw a lot more out of him than usual all of a sudden. 4 blocks in a game? yeah right.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,721

Post#65 » by minimus » Thu Sep 3, 2020 5:56 am

Anyone who watches playoff basketball understands that teams just ignore non shooters on the floor making them useless in offense and using free defender as an advantage. Especially non shooter bigmen, because non shooter bigman invites opponents to use drop scheme. Rare exceptions are super quick and mobile bigs such as Bam or super long guys such asGobert.

One way to 'hide' non-shooting big is to involve him hard as facilitator/screener/short roll man, like GSW do with Daymond Green.
minimus
RealGM

Post#66 » by minimus » Thu Sep 3, 2020 8:05 am

Luguentz Dort is that type of defender/contract he should NOT draft in the first round. Find this type of defender in the second round or within undrafted players.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#67 » by KGdaBom » Thu Sep 3, 2020 8:37 am

minimus wrote:Anyone who watches playoff basketball understands that teams just ignore non shooters on the floor making them useless in offense and using free defender as an advantage. Especially non shooter bigmen, because non shooter bigman invites opponents to use drop scheme. Rare exceptions are super quick and mobile bigs such as Bam or super long guys such asGobert.

One way to 'hide' non-shooting big is to involve him hard as facilitator/screener/short roll man, like GSW do with Daymond Green.

I hope we draft Wiseman or Okongwu and the opponents ignore him. They will pay a price for their ignorance.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,194

Post#68 » by Neeva » Thu Sep 3, 2020 8:38 am

minimus wrote:Luguentz Dort is that type of defender/contract he should NOT draft in the first round. Find this type of defender in the second round or within undrafted players.

He was there for the taking, he and Bol Bol and Rosas went and took Nowell:/ which came out of nowhere. I was pretty pissed.
minimus
RealGM

Post#69 » by minimus » Thu Sep 3, 2020 8:40 am

Neeva wrote:
minimus wrote:Luguentz Dort is that type of defender/contract he should NOT draft in the first round. Find this type of defender in the second round or within undrafted players.

He was there for the taking, he and Bol Bol and Rosas went and took Nowell:/ which came out of nowhere. I was pretty pissed.

Because we have Okogie/Culver. Shooting is the biggest need by far, so I am ok with Nowell as SRP.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,457

Post#70 » by Foye » Thu Sep 3, 2020 11:53 am

Enlighten me...why is it even in the discussion to draft Edwards or Ball?
Edwards is a terrible shooter. You don't even have to view the actual games, you just have to look at the stats. Unless he is going to mystically develop into a James Harden like FT drawer...expect nothing from him. Especially not with the burden of a #1 pick.
Plus, that Georgia team has a dreadful record of 5-13.
People seem to have quickly forgot how drafting Fultz from a dreadful Washington team has turned out for Philly.

Ball meanwhile...is averaging god awful FG%'s on the worst NBL-team in Australia. Yikes. Can't believe he is in discussion for first pick.

The question is...do you really want those scrubs on the team? Typically, Wolves draft picks end up getting the loser label when they enter the Wolves organization. Edwards and Ball...these guys are already losers.

The decision for the draft is (despite the injury risk) as easy as it gets. James Wiseman.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,528

Post#71 » by Worm Guts » Thu Sep 3, 2020 12:09 pm

I think the consensus is that Edwards isn't a terrible shooter, he has a bad shot selection. His percentages are affected by taking a lot of high difficulty 3s.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,457

Post#72 » by Foye » Thu Sep 3, 2020 12:15 pm

Worm Guts wrote:I think the consensus is that Edwards isn't a terrible shooter, he has a bad shot selection. His percentages are affected by taking a lot of high difficulty 3s.

Terrible shooter and bad shot selection go hand in hand.
Why invest a #1 pick in someone who does not even understand what a good shot is?
minimus
RealGM

Post#73 » by minimus » Thu Sep 3, 2020 12:17 pm

Foye wrote:You don't even have to view the actual games, you just have to look at the stats.

:nonono:
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,528

Post#74 » by Worm Guts » Thu Sep 3, 2020 12:18 pm

Foye wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:I think the consensus is that Edwards isn't a terrible shooter, he has a bad shot selection. His percentages are affected by taking a lot of high difficulty 3s.

Terrible shooter and bad shot selection go hand in hand.
Why invest a #1 pick in someone who does not even understand what a good shot is?

Obviously you can only pick from what's available, and the potential top guys have some significant warts. With Edwards and Ball, there has to consideration to how fixable their flaws are. I guess that's up to the Timberwolves to figure out.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,933

Post#75 » by Klomp » Thu Sep 3, 2020 12:54 pm

Read on Twitter

Feel like we could be in for a draft night surprise if we keep the pick.....
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
D1SGRUNTL3D
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,080

Post#76 » by D1SGRUNTL3D » Thu Sep 3, 2020 1:08 pm

Kat DLO and James.. the 3 wisemen?

Ok that was bad
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,194

Post#77 » by Neeva » Thu Sep 3, 2020 2:07 pm

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

The surprise may be the wolves getting wiseman but not at number 1.
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,263

Post#78 » by Baseline81 » Thu Sep 3, 2020 2:14 pm

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

Care to explain? Nothing Rosas said was out of the norm.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#79 » by KGdaBom » Thu Sep 3, 2020 3:26 pm

Foye wrote:Enlighten me...why is it even in the discussion to draft Edwards or Ball?
Edwards is a terrible shooter. You don't even have to view the actual games, you just have to look at the stats. Unless he is going to mystically develop into a James Harden like FT drawer...expect nothing from him. Especially not with the burden of a #1 pick.
Plus, that Georgia team has a dreadful record of 5-13.
People seem to have quickly forgot how drafting Fultz from a dreadful Washington team has turned out for Philly.

Ball meanwhile...is averaging god awful FG%'s on the worst NBL-team in Australia. Yikes. Can't believe he is in discussion for first pick.

The question is...do you really want those scrubs on the team? Typically, Wolves draft picks end up getting the loser label when they enter the Wolves organization. Edwards and Ball...these guys are already losers.

The decision for the draft is (despite the injury risk) as easy as it gets. James Wiseman.

Nice to see you Foye. Long time. Edwards has very nice shooting form while Ball's shot is completely broken. There are many examples of players like Edwards shooting percents going way up in the NBA. However, he is a risk while I feel that Wiseman or Okongwu are virtually no risk at all and that's why they are 1 and 2 on my personal draft board.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#80 » by KGdaBom » Thu Sep 3, 2020 3:27 pm

D1SGRUNTL3D wrote:Kat DLO and James.. the 3 wisemen?

Ok that was bad

:lol: :lol:

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves