Jimmy Butler

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,816

Re: Jimmy Butler 

Post#101 » by KGdaBom » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:06 pm

Battletrigger wrote:Beat L. A. as you beated losers here :P

Since Kobe left I have nothing against Lakers team itself. Just their fans. Since LeBron arrived I'm cheering for them particularly if it means stopping Jimmy from getting a title.
Battletrigger
Junior
And1: 200

Post#102 » by Battletrigger » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:28 pm

KGdaBom wrote:

Since Kobe left I have nothing against Lakers team itself. Just their fans. Since LeBron arrived I'm cheering for them particularly if it means stopping Jimmy from getting a title.

I have to admit that Lakers and Knicks are the teams that dislikes me most. I'm always against them, I'd prefer Boston beating LA but Miami has to be enough :D
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#103 » by KGdaBom » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:55 pm

Battletrigger wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

I have to admit that Lakers and Knicks are the teams that dislikes me most. I'm always against them, I'd prefer Boston beating LA but Miami has to be enough :D

If they didn't have Jimmy I wouldn't care. It's sickening enough that he's made it to the finals.
UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 837

Post#104 » by UnFadeable21 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:46 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#105 » by KGdaBom » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:07 am

UnFadeable21 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

I don't care if every one of his former teammates from every team he played on wants him to win it all. His behavior before leaving here has made me permanently/irrevocably against him.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#106 » by Jedzz » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:34 am

With Jimmy the time was now. It was now back then here and nobody would get it here because they are all looking years down the road at some fairtale perfect timing they can plan.

He went somewhere that they understood now is now.
http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=29813167
KJauger
Ballboy
And1: 28

Post#107 » by KJauger » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:27 am

KGdaBom wrote:I don't wish Jimmy any success. Not after the crap he pulled on us. It's a shame that good things are coming to him. It sets a bad example.

I personally think he had every reason to do it, which is fair enough.

On the contrary, it sets the best of examples.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,718

Post#108 » by minimus » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:32 am

KJauger wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:I don't wish Jimmy any success. Not after the crap he pulled on us. It's a shame that good things are coming to him. It sets a bad example.

Rooting for MIA, even if I dislike Jimmy in MIN, I love their team, their culture.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#109 » by KGdaBom » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:33 am

KJauger wrote:

One post fake account troll. He had zero reason to do it. Honor your contract. You are not worth my time and on iggy already. :lol: :lol: Is that the quickest iggy of all time.
Dalvin
Rookie
And1: 872

Post#110 » by Dalvin » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:31 pm

He can have all the talent in the world and even be an nba champ by next month. But the way he did the franchise dirty, will not be forgotten.

All that money certainly can't buy class. His personality sucks.
shrink wrote:Good point, and welcome to the boards.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#111 » by Jedzz » Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:38 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
KJauger wrote:

One post fake account troll. He had zero reason to do it. Honor your contract. You are not worth my time and on iggy already. :lol: :lol: Is that the quickest iggy of all time.

Quickest Iggy and Plus 1 you mean.
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,725

Post#112 » by AirP. » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:00 pm

KGdaBom wrote:I don't care if every one of his former teammates from every team he played on wants him to win it all. His behavior before leaving here has made me permanently/irrevocably against him.

It was reported when Miami was trying to acquire Butler from Minnesota that Towns had went to the owner(G.Taylor) and asked for Thibodeau to be fired, what's interesting about that is the timeframe, he did it when Minnesota was around 3rd in the West and were looking good. That is just one huge data point that told Butler that this "franchise" player in Towns didn't care about winning and that first round performance was the last straw. Butler told Thibodeau he wanted to be traded early in the summer.

My opinion on the situation...

Thibodeau did not want to trade Butler, he was his star and the perfect guy to help change the environment/culture of the franchise(also the reason he brought in ex players who he knew would be good with that environment) and with that, Butler was more than just a player and Thibodeau was willing to risk losing Butler for nothing/losing his job for the chance of Towns changing enough to keep Butler in Minnesota AND to get the environment in Minnesota to change.

Butler knew Thibodeau wouldn't move him unless he was forced to and even then he'd fight not to trade Jimmy. KNOWING HOW THE OWNER WAS, Butler was able to cause issues where the owner would do what it took to move him and that eventually happened.

Butler really was willing to stay in Minnesota but hated the idea of probably the best player on the team not giving a damn about the team and only cared about his own stats(which I think has slightly changed for Towns now) and with that, Butler wasting his prime years and all his hard work.

To me, the issue had always been Towns(who could/should be an MVP candidate). Wiggins was never the issue even though he didn't put in extra work(Wiggins dapped Butler up after that one big practice).

And now... Wiggins(no longer a Towns teammate) is rooting for Butler in the Finals.

“I've been rooting for [the Heat],” Wiggins said Monday after the Warriors practiced at Chase Center. “Jimmy, he was a great teammate. An ultimate competitor. What he's brought over there, you know, to bring those guys to the Finals, it’s a serious accomplishment. It just shows what he can do.”

“Even when we were in Minnesota,” Wiggins said, “everyone forgets we were third in a very packed West before (Butler) got hurt.”

“Yeah,” Wiggins said, acknowledging the tag some had placed on Butler, “but I feel like that was from certain people who couldn't handle certain situations. I feel like the majority of people, even including me, we loved playing with Jimmy".

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Miami is what Minnesota should have been. Towns has way more talent on the offensive end then Bam but he just doesn't care about doing the work that it takes to win like Bam does. If Towns had Bam's mentality you'd have an MVP candidate every single year with him and a very good team.

I still hate what happened to Minnesota, they should be a powerhouse RIGHT NOW and for the next 5-10 years but one key player just didn't care enough about winning and let his need of personal stats get in the way and Butler STILL stresses that in interviews... hopefully Towns figures out Butler's still trying to get him to unlock his winning potential(which Towns has a ton of).
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,718

Post#113 » by minimus » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:12 pm

AirP. wrote:It was reported when Miami was trying to acquire Butler from Minnesota that Towns had went to the owner(G.Taylor) and asked for Thibodeau to be fired, what's interesting about that is the timeframe, he did it when Minnesota was around 3rd in the West and were looking good.

Could you please provide proof?
AirP.
RealGM

Post#114 » by AirP. » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:23 pm

minimus wrote:
AirP. wrote:It was reported when Miami was trying to acquire Butler from Minnesota that Towns had went to the owner(G.Taylor) and asked for Thibodeau to be fired, what's interesting about that is the timeframe, he did it when Minnesota was around 3rd in the West and were looking good.

Could you please provide proof?

It was on a podcast of 5 reasons sports (5 on the floor, a Miami Heat podcast) back in 2018 when Miami was looking to acquire Butler(somewhere on this board I did post that podcast), they exchanged info with reporters in Minnesota and were told this happened and didn't report it(probably because of the repercussions it would have to them getting info later).

I'm trying to find the episode, did find this episode - go to 50 minutes where it starts with the Butler talk, he knows Towns does not want to play with J.Butler ever again and it was made clear before he signed his contract. Later mentioned coach/star issues are fixable, star/owner issues are fixable, star/star issues usually aren't fixable. I'll keep looking for that one tidbit I mentioned earlier but I'm not sure which episode it was in.

https://fivereasons.podbean.com/e/fins-loseum-fsujimmy-butler-saga-megapod/
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#115 » by urinesane » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:46 pm

I understand why Jimmy did it, but it was a self serving move, so I'm not a fan.

He's gotta do what's best for him though and getting out of MN was probably the right move. Just sucks that it was done in a way that f'd over the team pretty badly.
SSUBluesman
Assistant Coach
And1: 781

Post#116 » by SSUBluesman » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:07 pm

There are 2 things that blow my mind that somehow escape people's understanding:

1. His preseason/regular season actions are unacceptable and indefensible. You don't want to be here? Fine, than stay home.

2. Jimmy is a my-way-or-the-highway type who puts himself before the team and if the fit is not absolutely perfect (such as that is understood that it's "his team") he will cause drama, as he did here and with 2 separate rosters in Chicago. He hides behind "hard work" and "wanting to win" to justify being an unrelenting ***hole. These factors made it difficult, if not impossible for him to stay in MN.
Naz Reid.
SSUBluesman
Assistant Coach
And1: 781

Post#117 » by SSUBluesman » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:43 pm

Jedzz wrote:
minimus wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
Name another poster, who posts overnight on Fridays, but only from countries in asia, whom never thinks he's wrong, and might own red shoes, but without proper management and coaching will continue to respond this poorly. We all are waiting. Sorry for narrowing the filter so much.

Oh, my lil friend who cant even remember a name of country in Europe where I live. You might feel so lonely in my ignore list. But you are always welcome there! I encourage you to do the same: just ignore me.

Why would I ignore such wonderful responses. And why would I know what actual country you are posting from today when you are often posting from such wonderful vacation or work trips all over?

Jamal Murray is one answer to your ridiculous filtered request btw. West, drafted since Towns was, has helped his team reach the playoffs and competes at a high level in them. I'm sure there are less exciting players we could also dig up. But this should satisfy. Oh wait now you can claim Denver has proper management and coaching. Oh I see how this works... :lol: Ok. Doncic. Next. I;'m sure there is some more. But oh wait, you said only Superstars! Oh yes that arbitrary label. Fun! We should really talk about how players should earn that label, shouldn't we?

Expand it to the entire league and it's also a nice list I'm certain. But I realize you also want to hide Towns behind a West situational excuse. So many levels of excuse filters in that response! Never stopped a Towns team from losing to east teams all these years and destroying chances at reaching playofffs. Where they could have at least performed better against their supposedly weaker East foes and used that to increase the record at the very least.

Everyone knows what Towns is capable of, and what have appeared to be a couple weaknesses along the way. No reason for feeling like we need to excuse it all. No reason to assume he can't improve his weaknesses shown. If people want to describe one of those weaknesses as he's been soft at times, so be it. I would admit there has been games in the books to support that. I wouldn't say he's normally playing soft by any means. But there is playing soft, and their is playing soft mentally as well. Might be some evidence of that at times as well. You want to claim there isn't. Ok. So these people are telling you there are examples of players that don't exhibit as much of this. Either you are open to the examples or you aren't.

It's not a ridiculously filtered list.

Playoffs are done by conference (until the finals) and there are often disparities in the strengths of conferences meaning it is often easier to get into the playoffs in one conference then the other.
Good coaching makes it easier to get into the playoffs.
Good organizations makes it easier to get into the playoffs.

The type of players that have playoff runs with mediocre (or worse) coaches/organizations are LeBron. The types that get to the playoffs under similar circumstances are AD. These are players that are tier(s) better than KAT.

This is why you're crying about "ridiculously filtered". This is why you're naming players who aren't even the best player on their team (Murray) and play for good coaches and well run organizations (Luka). This is also probably why the OP hasn't responded.

Players like KAT don't do the things you're expecting of him.

Jedzz wrote:Just heard on Give and Go radio they were applauding AD's final game 2 shot and talking about whether you would want Jokic or AD taking that shot. Mentioned AD's over 48% from 3 in the final 24 seconds of games. They talked about other bigs you would have take that shot. Towns never came up, at least for the period I listened to. It's because he's gotten his points across the full game period, he hasn't been the guy to take those final shots that much. He was deferring to Wiggins for years, then Butler/Wiggins, etc. Aside from manning up other centers and rim protecting stronger, or busting through some of those larger centers on offense, another way for Towns to become seen as more of a clutch performer, strong willed team leader is to use his shooting skills on final game situation shots more. The guys on radio talked a lot about the playoff/regular season difference with these. Well, getting to the playoffs more gets you in the conversation more as well. It can be done, he can get that done, they just have to want to compete all season to get there more, and allow Towns in on the final 24 seconds of the games more.

Why do you continue to cite a shot that was the result of a blown defensive play and was drawn up for a wing player (LeBron) to push the awful idea of your C being your closer?
Naz Reid.
flyindutchman
Ballboy
And1: 21

Post#118 » by flyindutchman » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:56 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
KJauger wrote:

Are you against all players that don't honor their contract and request a trade or just Jimmy? Of all the egregious trade demands in sports history, stating that you have no intention of resigning with 1 year left on your contract is pretty damn low on the list. The coach looked/was out of date with the current NBA and his teammates didn't want to put in the amount of work needed to have a deep run in the playoffs.
AirP.
RealGM

Post#119 » by AirP. » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:03 pm

SSUBluesman wrote:There are 2 things that blow my mind that somehow escape people's understanding:

1. His preseason/regular season actions are unacceptable and indefensible. You don't want to be here? Fine, than stay home.

2. Jimmy is a my-way-or-the-highway type who puts himself before the team and if the fit is not absolutely perfect (such as that is understood that it's "his team") he will cause drama, as he did here and with 2 separate rosters in Chicago. He hides behind "hard work" and "wanting to win" to justify being an unrelenting ***hole. These factors made it difficult, if not impossible for him to stay in MN.

1. Absolutely but he knew Thibs wouldn't have traded him if it were completely up to him. No matter what Butler thought about the situation, that 5th year that ONLY Minnesota could offer him would be too important for not only him but his group of people around him. Yes, he should have taken the short term loss of not playing. Also, if you remember, he said he wanted the Minnesota fans to boo him(because it put more pressure on the owner).
Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

In a normal situation, a star player asks to get out, stays quiet and the team usually takes a huge loss in the trade(unless there's a circumstance like LA needing P.George to land Kawhi) but this wasn't a normal situation. Butler was pretty quiet in Chicago and in Philly, only Minnesota did he really cause a public issue because he had to(IMO).

2. His way is hard work and not just expecting things to be handed to players and with that, only a handful of teams probably met that criteria. Miami was at the top of the list because D.Wade let him know how it was different while they were teammates in Chicago.

I completely get people seeing him as an ***hole, he involved the fans but I also think there's some context to the situation which I mentioned earlier. Butler doesn't name names all that often so he never mentioned Towns nor did he mention the 76er(non-player I suspect) who asked if they could handle him if he were resigned(which when he heard that he decided he wasn't resigning with Philly).
AirP.
RealGM

Post#120 » by AirP. » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:07 pm

flyindutchman wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
KJauger wrote:

Are you against all players that don't honor their contract and request a trade or just Jimmy? Of all the egregious trade demands in sports history, stating that you have no intention of resigning with 1 year left on your contract is pretty damn low on the list. The coach looked/was out of date with the current NBA and his teammates didn't want to put in the amount of work needed to have a deep run in the playoffs.

What Jimmy did was out of the ordinary, it's not the same as everyone else, everyone else shuts their mouths and lets it get done behind the scenes, that wasn't going to happen with Thibs and Butler knew it. It was a unique situation.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves