Jimmy Butler

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,703

Re: Jimmy Butler 

Post#141 » by minimus » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:37 pm

AirP. wrote:
minimus wrote:KAT asked FO/owner to HANDLE Butler trade demand properly. See the difference?

It was reported already he said he no longer wanted to play with Butler, I posted the podcast already in this thread from an NBA beat reporter with 20+ years experience who got the info from multiple Minnesota beat reporters.
minimus wrote:
AirP. wrote:Based off information I heard from a reporter who said a Minnesota beat writer told him. I actually listen/read for information from podcasts that aren't only Minnesota centric.

Without source, it is just your opinion.

I gave you the source, but if you need "a name" from the Minnesota source that wasn't given. I can say Jon Krawczynski did an hour podcast with him before that. So if this is your stance, you won't believe any info you don't like unless there's a name of the actual source to information, continuing talking with you is a waste of time. Enjoy your time as a Towns fan.

You are welcome! Indeed, continuing talking without proof or fact or source with anyone is a waste of time. Just one note, I am not a Towns fan, I am a MIN fan. As long as KAT is wearing MIN uniform I will root for him, not against him. It might sound weird, but I am not visiting NYK board or MIA board to provide my opinion on Thibs and Butler. Hope it makes sense.
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,511

Post#142 » by AirP. » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:42 pm

Worm Guts wrote:It was also reported that Butler slept with Towns girlfriend at the time. And that would go to Butler being a **** teammate, if you going to accept the gossip.

The "gossip" is from an nba beat writer that's been in the business for 20+ years with many connections.

Sure would but it's not like that is uncommon in sports(still not a good idea to do) but yeah, that would cause issues for sure. A piece of info like that I would expect would have leaked more after Butler was gone. I do expect Towns info to be leaked after he's no longer with the organization if he ever leaves.

For others wondering, here's that story...
https://blacksportsonline.com/2018/09/internet-detectives-present-evidence-on-jimmy-butler-allegedly-hooked-up-with-karl-anthony-towns-girlfriend-which-caused-their-breakup-tweets-ig-photos/

Kinda wonder if it's somewhat like the D.Wade situation where he commented on a Gabrielle Union photo without people having the understanding that he was messing around with his close friends. He was with the Wade, Union, and Melo overseas playing cards when he found out he had been traded from Chicago.
https://heavy.com/sports/2018/08/jimmy-butler-dwyane-wade-instagram-beef/
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,512

Post#143 » by Worm Guts » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:27 pm

AirP. wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:It was also reported that Butler slept with Towns girlfriend at the time. And that would go to Butler being a **** teammate, if you going to accept the gossip.

The "gossip" is from an nba beat writer that's been in the business for 20+ years with many connections.

Sure would but it's not like that is uncommon in sports(still not a good idea to do) but yeah, that would cause issues for sure. A piece of info like that I would expect would have leaked more after Butler was gone. I do expect Towns info to be leaked after he's no longer with the organization if he ever leaves.

For others wondering, here's that story...
https://blacksportsonline.com/2018/09/internet-detectives-present-evidence-on-jimmy-butler-allegedly-hooked-up-with-karl-anthony-towns-girlfriend-which-caused-their-breakup-tweets-ig-photos/

Kinda wonder if it's somewhat like the D.Wade situation where he commented on a Gabrielle Union photo without people having the understanding that he was messing around with his close friends. He was with the Wade, Union, and Melo overseas playing cards when he found out he had been traded from Chicago.
https://heavy.com/sports/2018/08/jimmy-butler-dwyane-wade-instagram-beef/

If Towns asked for Butler to be traded, there's a reason. I'm not sure how this could be comparable to "messing around with close friends". Obviously Towns was pissed off if he wanted Butler to be traded. I've never heard of Towns having issues with any other teammate.
AirP.
RealGM

Post#144 » by AirP. » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:31 pm

minimus wrote:You are welcome! Indeed, continuing talking without proof or fact or source with anyone is a waste of time. Just one note, I am not a Towns fan, I am a MIN fan. As long as KAT is wearing MIN uniform I will root for him, not against him. It might sound weird, but I am not visiting NYK board or MIA board to provide my opinion on Thibs and Butler. Hope it makes sense.

It makes a lot of sense to me. I follow their careers because of how they work towards their goals, I'm no longer just a fan for ateam based on location or what uniform they put on. I just couldn't keep rooting for a team who kept doing #()$) things because of ownership, it's why I had such an issue with G.Taylor and how his decisions kept screwing up the team. It's really hard to miss the playoffs 13 straight years unless the man at the top is making way too many bad decisions(hires/trades/FAs) and pushing those decisions onto the team. Hopefully he'll sell soon and hopefully(and probably) the new owner will be better and this franchise can get back on track vs where it's been for over a decade and a half. I could say the Bulls have been a worse franchise than Minnesota outside of the MJ years, that franchise hasn't had much success outside those years and usually there's only one constant, ownership.
AirP.
RealGM

Post#145 » by AirP. » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:47 pm

Worm Guts wrote:If Towns asked for Butler to be traded, there's a reason. I'm not sure how this could be comparable to "messing around with close friends". Obviously Towns was pissed off if he wanted Butler to be traded. I've never heard of Towns having issues with any other teammate.

The issue was the way they interacted. Towns had issues with 2 people, Butler and Thibs, both not afraid to call you out for doing wrong, not everyone likes that honesty, can handle it or understands it could come from a place of wanting to get the best out you, it's why I posted that post of Herro talking about having to hear Butler tell him things he didn't like and it's made him a better player(I'm sure Herro tells Butler some stuff he doesn't like also). Butler keeps saying it's different and why it's different in Miami in his interviews, it's actually getting ridiculous how often he says it but I have to believe he's trying to make a point to one or multiple people from his past.

The narrative on Butler is that he's a terrible teammate yet most of his teammates from all his teams seem to really like him, the ones who weren't serious about their profession, weren't working like they should seem to have issues with him, the young guys who would play around on the bench while a game was happening in Chicago and Towns in Minnesota are about the only ones who have issues with Butler. Thibodeau and Butler are easy big targets because they won't argue with the media or be vindictive like a lot of people would be. If you're a LA beat writer you're not going to piss LeBron James off and have that person cut off from you, say something that should piss Butler off, he's still going to talk to you.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,703

Post#146 » by minimus » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:55 pm

AirP. wrote:
minimus wrote:You are welcome! Indeed, continuing talking without proof or fact or source with anyone is a waste of time. Just one note, I am not a Towns fan, I am a MIN fan. As long as KAT is wearing MIN uniform I will root for him, not against him. It might sound weird, but I am not visiting NYK board or MIA board to provide my opinion on Thibs and Butler. Hope it makes sense.

It makes a lot of sense to me. I follow their careers because of how they work towards their goals, I'm no longer just a fan for ateam based on location or what uniform they put on. I just couldn't keep rooting for a team who kept doing #()$) things because of ownership, it's why I had such an issue with G.Taylor and how his decisions kept screwing up the team. It's really hard to miss the playoffs 13 straight years unless the man at the top is making way too many bad decisions(hires/trades/FAs) and pushing those decisions onto the team. Hopefully he'll sell soon and hopefully(and probably) the new owner will be better and this franchise can get back on track vs where it's been for over a decade and a half. I could say the Bulls have been a worse franchise than Minnesota outside of the MJ years, that franchise hasn't had much success outside those years and usually there's only one constant, ownership.

1) Taylor has kept this team in MIN, he also invested in Target Center renovation.
2) Taylor never had problems with paying big contracts stars after GM approval. KG was the highest-paid contract at that moment who took that money which was one of the reasons why KG played without other stars. There was simply not enough cap space. GM David Kahn balked at giving Love the max five-year "designated player" extension, Love asked to be traded. The only problem with Taylor is that he chose wrong GMs, except Flip and Rosas. And now, when Rosas is doing a heck of a job, Taylor wants to trade MIN. That's what I find depressing. Not to mention that KG wants to buy this team and would like to head basketball operations. What a joke...
3) Glen Taylor is not the best owner in NBA. But he is not the worst either. He is not Sarver, who put live goats in ex-GM's office as inspiration. The goats destroyed the office. He is not Ranadive
He is not MJ, he is not James Dolan. He is not Buss family with last season circus.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,512

Post#147 » by Worm Guts » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:56 pm

AirP. wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:If Towns asked for Butler to be traded, there's a reason. I'm not sure how this could be comparable to "messing around with close friends". Obviously Towns was pissed off if he wanted Butler to be traded. I've never heard of Towns having issues with any other teammate.

The issue was the way they interacted. Towns had issues with 2 people, Butler and Thibs, both not afraid to call you out for doing wrong, not everyone likes that honesty, can handle it or understands it could come from a place of wanting to get the best out you, it's why I posted that post of Herro talking about having to hear Butler tell him things he didn't like and it's made him a better player(I'm sure Herro tells Butler some stuff he doesn't like also). Butler keeps saying it's different and why it's different in Miami in his interviews, it's actually getting ridiculous how often he says it but I have to believe he's trying to make a point to one or multiple people from his past.

The narrative on Butler is that he's a terrible teammate yet most of his teammates from all his teams seem to really like him, the ones who weren't serious about their profession, weren't working like they should seem to have issues with him, the young guys who would play around on the bench while a game was happening in Chicago and Towns in Minnesota are about the only ones who have issues with Butler. Thibodeau and Butler are easy big targets because they won't argue with the media or be vindictive like a lot of people would be. If you're a LA beat writer you're not going to piss LeBron James off and have that person cut off from you, say something that should piss Butler off, he's still going to talk to you.

It's pretty apparent your not going to accept anything negative about Jimmy Butler, so I don't see any real reason to keep discussing this. It can both be true that he works hard and that he's an ****. To be honest, I think both are pretty clearly true.
AirP.
RealGM

Post#148 » by AirP. » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:06 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
AirP. wrote:

It's pretty apparent your not going to accept anything negative about Jimmy Butler, so I don't see any real reason to keep discussing this. It can both be true that he works hard and that he's an ****. To be honest, I think both are pretty clearly true.

There's lots of negatives to Butler, in his game he has a huge negative, the lack of a reliable 3pt shot during a time in the NBA when everyone seems to have gotten better at 3s, but him being direct and pushing teammates to be better doesn't make him an **** to me. I just hope his teammates are pushing back on him to work on his 3pt shot.
AirP.
RealGM

Post#149 » by AirP. » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:22 pm

minimus wrote:1) Taylor has kept this team in MIN, he also invested in Target Center renovation.
2) Taylor never had problems with paying big contracts stars after GM approval. KG was the highest-paid contract at that moment who took that money which was one of the reasons why KG played without other stars. There was simply not enough cap space. GM David Kahn balked at giving Love the max five-year "designated player" extension, Love asked to be traded. The only problem with Taylor is that he chose wrong GMs, except Flip and Rosas. And now, when Rosas is doing a heck of a job, Taylor wants to trade MIN. That's what I find depressing. Not to mention that KG wants to buy this team and would like to head basketball operations. What a joke...
3) Glen Taylor is not the best owner in NBA. But he is not the worst either. He is not Sarver, who put live goats in ex-GM's office as inspiration. The goats destroyed the office. He is not Ranadive
He is not MJ, he is not James Dolan. He is not Buss family with last season circus.

1. That's good.
2. That's good.
3. He may be a great person but he's really close to the worst you'd want to own your franchise. This franchise has missed the playoffs nearly every season for over a decade and a half.

What's not good about him is he's not a hands off owner nor it seems a good basketball mind, if you're going to a consultant to hire a coach/POBO you should stay completely out of roster construction for that coach/POBO, if you're going to put your imprint on the roster then hire a coach who is more aligned with your thinking. G.Taylor is the only constant that matters for the Timbewolves during this huge drought of over a decade and a half making the playoffs once.

Like I've mentioned, hopefully G.Taylor sells the team soon and this franchise can have more success then they've had. I hate seeing franchises just be bad for so long, every NBA franchise should have success from time to time.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,790

Post#150 » by KGdaBom » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:43 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
AirP. wrote:

Butler took being an A$$hole to completely new levels. IMO he's a POS and a hard working very good basketball player.
UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 837

Post#151 » by UnFadeable21 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:58 pm

Memphis guard Tyus Jones, a teammate of Butler’s in Minnesota, retweeted a report that Butler had been called “a locker room cancer” on other teams by saying “Called a ‘locker room cancer’ by those who weren’t ever in the locker room lol.” Wolves guard Josh Okogie retweeted Jones.

After Butler’s Heat won the Eastern Conference title, Jones tweeted “Happy for JB! He deserves this!”

Andrew Wiggins was widely viewed as one of Butler’s punching bags in Minnesota. It was no secret that Wiggins’ inconsistent effort bothered Butler, who has never been accused of giving less than 100 percent when he steps on the court.

But don’t let that fool you into thinking Wiggins has any ill will toward Butler. Quite the opposite. Wiggins told Golden State Warriors reporters this week that he’s rooting for Miami in these playoffs.

“Jimmy, he was a great teammate. An ultimate competitor. What he’s brought over there, you know, to bring those guys to the Finals, it’s a serious accomplishment,” Wiggins said. “He brings the best out of people. He’s going to put that battery in your bag, and you’re going to go. You can see what he’s doing to all the young guys, how all their games are elevated. That’s something Jimmy brings to the table.”

Those are the same types of things Wiggins was saying when Butler was traded, immediately after which he told Philadelphia center Joel Embiid he was going to “love” having Butler as a teammate. Wiggins said a lot of Timberwolves players at the time, including himself, wanted Butler to stay.

“I learned a lot from him,” Wiggins said, “and I was still learning.”

If so many felt that way, where did Butler’s bad reputation — that “locker room cancer” tag — come from?

“I feel like that was from certain people who couldn’t handle certain situations,” Wiggins told reporters this week. “I feel like the majority of people, even including me, we loved playing with Jimmy.”

Guessing who those “certain people” within the organization were would be pure speculation. But the fact remains the Wolves didn’t give up on Butler, he gave up on them.

https://www.twincities.com/2020/09/29/jace-frederick-jimmy-butler-gave-up-on-timberwolves-and-now-we-see-why/
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,313

Post#152 » by Mattya » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:42 pm

Wiggins sounds desperate to shed his soft label as if we all don’t remember the drama between Nick Wiggins immediately when Butler demanded a trade.
Mattya
RealGM

Post#153 » by Mattya » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:46 pm

I also find it hilarious that a joke started on the timberwolves sub reddit has become widely accepted.
Mattya
RealGM

Post#154 » by Mattya » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:51 pm

The revisionist history fanboys created in here is astounding as well.
Mattya
RealGM

Post#155 » by Mattya » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:56 pm

Thibodeau and Butler are easy big targets because they won't argue with the media or be vindictive like a lot of people would be. If you're a LA beat writer you're not going to piss LeBron James off and have that person cut off from you, say something that should piss Butler off, he's still going to talk to you.

Ah yes nothing vindictive about staging a post practice ESPN interview in Minnesota after having a dramatic practice. Or how after KAT and Embiid fought, Butler chimed in with his support for Embiid in a fight. Nothing vindictive at all. :lol:

Precious little angels.
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,526

Post#156 » by Note30 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 1:52 am

I mean we all kinda know KAT is soft a this point. I hated the Thibs hire, trading for Jimmy. I never had anything against Jimmy I kinda knew what we were getting, I mentioned multiple times he wasn't a good fit for this team. That being said I am rooting for Miami to win this despite the impossibleness.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,790

Post#157 » by KGdaBom » Thu Oct 1, 2020 3:10 am

Jimmy about the only Heat player shooting well tonight and the Lakers are blowing them out.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,182

Post#158 » by Neeva » Thu Oct 1, 2020 3:11 am

I thought we had seen the last of thibs fanboy Airp...
UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 837

Post#159 » by UnFadeable21 » Tue Oct 6, 2020 12:12 am

Jimmy Butler is out here getting triple doubles and 40 pts in the final while Karl Anthony Towns is promoting his girlfriends onlyfans......

Goddamn, it’s getting hard to keep defending KAT
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#160 » by Jedzz » Tue Oct 6, 2020 7:57 am

SSUBluesman wrote:
That's one way to say "I'm wrong but am not big enough to admit it."

The important thing is that we both know you took the L on this and are moving on.

What would change your mind? The words you posted were nothing but personal opinions that disagree with mine, except you wanted to present them as facts in your vision of the world. So there is no reason to continue. Can we agree on that? Now carry on winning in this way you feel you are if it helps you.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves