ImageImageImage

Aaron Gordon to the Timberpups?

Moderators: Domejandro, Calinks, Worm Guts

Would you trade the #17 pick for Aaron Gordon?

Yes, trade makes sense for both teams
20
69%
No, just draft another rookie instead
9
31%
 
Total votes: 29

UnFadeable21
Senior
Posts: 557
And1: 124
Joined: Mar 30, 2019

Aaron Gordon to the Timberpups? 

Post#1 » by UnFadeable21 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:06 pm

Image


The Orlando Magic are in a place of transition as the team looks for ways to upgrade their roster and land a potential superstar. Power forward Aaron Gordon was once thought of as 'the guy' in Orlando, however, that's certainly changed over the course of the last two seasons. The high-flying Gordon has been linked to several teams, dating back to the trade deadline when the Magic first made him available. Turns out it could be at the draft where we see Gordon change jerseys and the Magic finally getting their wish.

According to Forbes' Sean Deveney, one eastern conference executive sees Gordon on the move and soon:

“They were really trying to deal him before the deadline, but they weren't getting the assets back they wanted. It will be easier to move that contract when it's only got two years left. He's probably the most likely big name to be traded. He's a good gamble—he is only 24.”

Gordon is making roughly $34 million over the final two years of his contract, which is a reasonable deal considering his production. 18 million in 2020, declining to 16 million in 2021.

However, some teams are slightly concerned with Gordon's drop in points per game as he's gone from 17.6 to 16 to last year averaging 14.4 ppg. Option 1, no, but Gordon suits up as a perfect compliment to round out a big 3.

So keep an eye on the T-Wolves as they try to put together a young-dominant big-3. KAT and D'Angelo Russell could soon have a new running mate...






Would Magic Fans accept a trade of Timberwolves send 1st round pick #17, expiring James Johnson 16 million, and former first round picks Omari Spellman and Jacob Evans for Aaron Gordon.

This gives the Magic two first round picks, 15 and 17 which they can use to get into the top 10 or stay and draft two rookies of their choice where many draft experts say in the strength of the draft class. James Johnson’s money comes off after 1 season for 2021 Big free agency class. Spellman and Evans, both first round pick draft players are on their rookie contracts and can be opted out of after one season if they don’t workout in 2020 season.

Jonathon Isaac is out for the entire 2020 season and Magic can tank one year, free up a bunch of cap and collect assets for 2021 draft and free agency.

For the Timberwolves, this gives you a rebounding, defending power forward next to KAT who can finish at the rim and in the dunkers spot. He doesn’t need plays called for him. He can cut to the hoop or fast break. He averaged 14ppg, 8 rebs, 3 ast. Shot 35% from 3 last season. He would play the Jerami Grant role for the Wolves. Defense and rebounding.
UnFadeable21
Senior
Posts: 557
And1: 124
Joined: Mar 30, 2019

Re: Aaron Gordon to the Timberpups? 

Post#2 » by UnFadeable21 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:07 pm



Aaron Gordon 6'9 235lbs

14ppg, 8 rebs, 3 ast
UnFadeable21
Senior
Posts: 557
And1: 124
Joined: Mar 30, 2019

Re: Aaron Gordon to the Timberpups? 

Post#3 » by UnFadeable21 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:07 pm

What Orlando Magic do with Aaron Gordon will determine their future path

With the Orlando Magic’s season coming to a disappointing end, attention has quickly turned to what an uncertain offseason might bring.

The Orlando Magic achieved their basic objective of once again qualifying for the playoffs in the 2020 season. But the inability to make it past the eighth spot in the Eastern Conference followed by another first-round exit has left many fans calling for a shake-up this offseason.

Injuries of course played their part in an apparent lack of progression, as did the suspension of the season due to COVID-19. Jonathan Isaac had two serious knee injuries and missed the postseason along with Aaron Gordon, Mohamed Bamba, Michael Carter-Williams and Al-Farouq Aminu, while Nikola Vucevic and D.J. Augustin also experienced injury problems this season.

Even then, the Orlando Magic finished 10 games behind the Philadelphia 76ers for sixth in the Eastern Conference. They were never truly contenders to catch them for that spot. Even players would say their season was disappointing in that sense. They did not accomplish all they wanted to.

Serious questions remain around how high this team can possibly go and whether it might be time to start trading in order to embark on more of a rebuild.

Of course, there are future considerations too.

With a 2021 draft class tipped to be of high quality and a mouth-watering free agency group at the end of next season, the Orlando Magic could end up regretting any rash decision in an attempt to improve the team.

The chance to get a second pick does not come around often, however. Where the Magic go from here is unclear but what is clear is that this is a significant moment in time for the franchise and every decision must be carefully considered with a clear plan in place.



https://orlandomagicdaily.com/2020/07/15/orlando-magic-upgrade-viewing-experience-new-tv/
KGdaBom
RealGM
Posts: 10,752
And1: 2,202
Joined: Jun 22, 2017
         

Re: Aaron Gordon to the Timberpups? 

Post#4 » by KGdaBom » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:21 pm

In a vacuum Gordon is likely to be much better than who we might draft at 17. I don't know what the other good possibilities are for trading Johnson with his expiring contract. So I voted yes, but I'm not sure we can't make a better move.
Baseline81
Junior
Posts: 398
And1: 132
Joined: Jan 18, 2009

Re: Aaron Gordon to the Timberpups? 

Post#5 » by Baseline81 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:21 pm

It's been discussed for quite some time. Many of us felt Isaac's injury was the deathblow to such a trade now happening. If I recall correctly, earlier trade variations were Brooklyn pick, Johnson and either Culver or Okogie.
minimus
General Manager
Posts: 8,273
And1: 2,070
Joined: Jan 28, 2011
Location: Germany, Stuttgart area
 

Re: Aaron Gordon to the Timberpups? 

Post#6 » by minimus » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:26 pm

IMO it does make sense for them to trade Gordon before season starts. Isaac is their future. However, they might consider a few scenarios.

1) They might trade for Wiggins.
2) They might wait till trade deadline and try to up his trade value and trade for a shooter, e.g. Hield.
3) They might see potential in draft at 15 and 17, they want concrete player to draft and develop. They trade for pick.
shrink
RealGM
Posts: 44,797
And1: 5,572
Joined: Sep 26, 2005

Re: Aaron Gordon to the Timberpups? 

Post#7 » by shrink » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:42 pm

UnFadeable21 wrote:Aaron Gordon 6'9 235lbs

14ppg, 8 rebs, 3 ast

Aaron Gordon:
2020 3P 30.8%. Career 3P 31.9%
2020 BPM 0.0. Career BPM 0.0

I understand many fans believe Gordon is the answer to the Wolves questions. I don’t agree. The biggest mismatch Towns gives this team is pulling opposing bigs out of the paint. Last year, the Jazz had to take Gobert out from under the rim (where he is historically good at altering shots), and play him man-to-man! Without a credible three point threat, opponents get to keep a big down low to wait for Gordon or other Wolves to drive.

Secondly, it is a huge warning sign that Gordon hasn’t improved since his sophomore season, five years ago. I question his focus. He seems less interested improving for his team than rapping about how he should have got a higher score in a slam dunk contest.

Third, this locks up the salary of the Johnson contract.

If the price is just the #17 and Spellman, I don’t care. This is a price that much of the trade board thinks is fair. Orlando fans uniformly believe that this is undervaluing him. If the Magic front office turned this down, it wouldn’t surprise me. He is less likely to be traded as ORL continues on their path to inconsequential playoff defeats, especially know that Isaac is out for all of next year, and there isn’t any position duplication. Moreover, maybe Gordon would have a higher trade value if he had a few months to rehab it before the trade deadline.

I vote .. meh.

(Maybe a mod can move this to our trade board)
Neeva
Veteran
Posts: 2,859
And1: 939
Joined: Jun 03, 2016

Re: Aaron Gordon to the Timberpups? 

Post#8 » by Neeva » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:56 pm

If Maxey is available take him and run.
minimus
General Manager
Posts: 8,273
And1: 2,070
Joined: Jan 28, 2011
Location: Germany, Stuttgart area
 

Re: Aaron Gordon to the Timberpups? 

Post#9 » by minimus » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:50 pm

shrink wrote:
UnFadeable21 wrote:Aaron Gordon 6'9 235lbs

14ppg, 8 rebs, 3 ast

Aaron Gordon:
2020 3P 30.8%. Career 3P 31.9%
2020 BPM 0.0. Career BPM 0.0

I understand many fans believe Gordon is the answer to the Wolves questions. I don’t agree. The biggest mismatch Towns gives this team is pulling opposing bigs out of the paint. Last year, the Jazz had to take Gobert out from under the rim (where he is historically good at altering shots), and play him man-to-man! Without a credible three point threat, opponents get to keep a big down low to wait for Gordon or other Wolves to drive.


I think it is more about scheme than a concrete player. Gobert is a good example, but it does not mean he is a universal weapon against any offense. It also does not mean, that a non-shooters cannot impact game on high level. For instance, Jimmy Butler shoots whooping 24.4% from 3pt line. Bam Adeabyo cant shoot 3s. Yet they both are starters in MIA. Butler was inefficient shooter in MIN, Butler is inefficient shooter in MIA. The difference is the system, offensive scheme. Should we say that Butler did not care and did not improve? I think it just what it is: some players can shoot, some players cant. You just play their strengths and try to hide their weaknesses. If Gordon buys into pace-space offensive scheme as point-forward, he will be unstoppable. He has elite athletic tools, he might be the fastest PF in whole league.

I've posted this video before. Gobert never defends Gordon when they play against each other. Gobert guards Vuc closely at 3pt line. Vuc makes 33.9% of threes.


Watch how HOU with non-shooter Capella beat UTA and Gobert.


Gobert vs Gordon also does not make any sense because teams can force switch basically every time they want mismatch. Let say Gobert initially is asked to guard Gordon, Gordon will set high screen for DLo and voilà either DLo has wide open 3pt shot if Gobert does not defend him, or Gobert will be asked to guard DLo on perimeter. Or Gordon will have easy two points by rolling hard to the rim. It also does not make sense to put Gobert on Gordon, because Aaron usually is among first in transition, while Rudy is the dead last. By simply running the floor hard, Gordon will force UTA to switch smaller players on him under the rim. Gobert also must be careful about 3 sec violation.
jpatrick
Veteran
Posts: 2,673
And1: 650
Joined: May 30, 2007
 

Re: Aaron Gordon to the Timberpups? 

Post#10 » by jpatrick » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:41 pm

If we wanted Gordon, would we rather trade #17 or Culver, plus filler with each, for him? I think Culver still has more value, but if we take either Gordon or Ball at #1, I don’t see Culver being a great fit going forward.
SO_MONEY
Analyst
Posts: 3,002
And1: 432
Joined: Sep 11, 2009
         

Re: Aaron Gordon to the Timberpups? 

Post#11 » by SO_MONEY » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:10 pm

jpatrick wrote:If we wanted Gordon, would we rather trade #17 or Culver, plus filler with each, for him? I think Culver still has more value, but if we take either Gordon or Ball at #1, I don’t see Culver being a great fit going forward.


Can you walk me through your logic where you give up more value than we need to?
jpatrick
Veteran
Posts: 2,673
And1: 650
Joined: May 30, 2007
 

Re: Aaron Gordon to the Timberpups? 

Post#12 » by jpatrick » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:18 pm

SO_MONEY wrote:
jpatrick wrote:If we wanted Gordon, would we rather trade #17 or Culver, plus filler with each, for him? I think Culver still has more value, but if we take either Gordon or Ball at #1, I don’t see Culver being a great fit going forward.


Can you walk me through your logic where you give up more value than we need to?


Okay. If Culver doesn’t show significant improvement this year, he actually becomes a negative asset. If we draft Ball or Edwards, I don’t see Culver getting many minutes, as he can play some SF but at his size/weight, he’d be undersized. So, IF our plan is to draft a guard at #1, I can see the argument that to the Wolves, the #17 has more value than Culver.

And let’s not kid ourselves, Culver’s value is only marginally better than 17 even right now. He was horrible last year. Guards that can’t shoot, not even 50% at the line, are essentially useless in the modern NBA.
Neeva
Veteran
Posts: 2,859
And1: 939
Joined: Jun 03, 2016

Re: Aaron Gordon to the Timberpups? 

Post#13 » by Neeva » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:31 pm

The only way I would be okay with Gordon is if the wolves move down with Charlotte and still get the guy they wanted all along AND add Gordon in the process.

Something like
3, Gordon to the wolves
1 , johnson? to Charlotte
Miles Bridges,Spellman to Orlando.
SO_MONEY
Analyst
Posts: 3,002
And1: 432
Joined: Sep 11, 2009
         

Re: Aaron Gordon to the Timberpups? 

Post#14 » by SO_MONEY » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:31 pm

jpatrick wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:
jpatrick wrote:If we wanted Gordon, would we rather trade #17 or Culver, plus filler with each, for him? I think Culver still has more value, but if we take either Gordon or Ball at #1, I don’t see Culver being a great fit going forward.


Can you walk me through your logic where you give up more value than we need to?


Okay. If Culver doesn’t show significant improvement this year, he actually becomes a negative asset. If we draft Ball or Edwards, I don’t see Culver getting many minutes, as he can play some SF but at his size/weight, he’d be undersized. So, IF our plan is to draft a guard at #1, I can see the argument that to the Wolves, the #17 has more value than Culver.

And let’s not kid ourselves, Culver’s value is only marginally better than 17 even right now. He was horrible last year. Guards that can’t shoot, not even 50% at the line, are essentially useless in the modern NBA.


So what? It doesn't mean you trade him in a deal where you are just giving away value. If you want to trade him do it in a deal we actually get value. What you are proposing and your reasons are just plain silly, it really is.

EDIT: I read 'and' instead of "or", it is debatable if you want to trade Culver or #17, guess it depends who is there.
Jedzz
General Manager
Posts: 8,327
And1: 1,753
Joined: Oct 05, 2018
   

Re: Aaron Gordon to the Timberpups? 

Post#15 » by Jedzz » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:35 pm

Baseline81 wrote:It's been discussed for quite some time. Many of us felt Isaac's injury was the deathblow to such a trade now happening. If I recall correctly, earlier trade variations were Brooklyn pick, Johnson and either Culver or Okogie.


It's been talked about for so long I more or less felt he was already a Wolves player, in fact born to be a Wolves player. Imagine my surprise seeing this thread today that just broke my mind.
Jedzz
General Manager
Posts: 8,327
And1: 1,753
Joined: Oct 05, 2018
   

Re: Aaron Gordon to the Timberpups? 

Post#16 » by Jedzz » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:44 pm

Sounds like a good plan. I'd serve up Culver as the trade option first. If they don't want him try 17. If they want more, tell them to go fish. But I think he could help the team on both ends become more viable. Not if they aren't keeping Beasley though. I don't want to rely on him being the #3 guy here when Beasley could be busting in 20s for us. He fits to me if it's Dlo/Beasley/Gordon/Towns and whover wins SF role here. It's a good 4. Would #17 +33 get us to #13?
IceManBK1
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,643
And1: 108
Joined: Jul 14, 2017
   

Re: Aaron Gordon to the Timberpups? 

Post#17 » by IceManBK1 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:06 am

Either Aaron Gordon or Simmons will ok for me. We desperately need an upgrade at PF. Juancho is a decent role player. But nowhere near a star player. I'd say we go after Simmons first. If we fail then we go after Aaron Gordon.
Jedzz
General Manager
Posts: 8,327
And1: 1,753
Joined: Oct 05, 2018
   

Re: Aaron Gordon to the Timberpups? 

Post#18 » by Jedzz » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:17 am

IceManBK1 wrote:Either Aaron Gordon or Simmons will ok for me. We desperately need an upgrade at PF. Juancho is a decent role player. But nowhere near a star player. I'd say we go after Simmons first. If we fail then we go after Aaron Gordon.


Did you notice that Philly was talking about using Simmons as PF for the Bubble. I think they were preparing to show he could be more versitile for trade reasons more then hoping it would help them. But he in fact played like a shell of his former self doing so, then hurt his knee. Almost all his numbers dropped off a cliff. It was a small sample size but it was a new role with more offball time. The plan was anyway. Can't say it went well. Is a guy with less assists, less points, can't shoot from deep anywhere near the star anymore? You might have to play to his strengths and what he does well if you take on that contract. This is a very risky proposition.
SO_MONEY
Analyst
Posts: 3,002
And1: 432
Joined: Sep 11, 2009
         

Re: Aaron Gordon to the Timberpups? 

Post#19 » by SO_MONEY » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:38 am

IceManBK1 wrote:Either Aaron Gordon or Simmons will ok for me. We desperately need an upgrade at PF. Juancho is a decent role player. But nowhere near a star player. I'd say we go after Simmons first. If we fail then we go after Aaron Gordon.


Simmons is too hard to build with, I just don't want him at this point given what he might draw in a competitive market. Let another team deal with the problems of fitting a guy like Simmons in their roster.
KGdaBom
RealGM
Posts: 10,752
And1: 2,202
Joined: Jun 22, 2017
         

Re: Aaron Gordon to the Timberpups? 

Post#20 » by KGdaBom » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:40 am

Jedzz wrote:
Baseline81 wrote:It's been discussed for quite some time. Many of us felt Isaac's injury was the deathblow to such a trade now happening. If I recall correctly, earlier trade variations were Brooklyn pick, Johnson and either Culver or Okogie.


It's been talked about for so long I more or less felt he was already a Wolves player, in fact born to be a Wolves player. Imagine my surprise seeing this thread today that just broke my mind.

:lol: :lol:

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves