ImageImageImage

Aaron Gordon to the Timberpups?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Would you trade the #17 pick for Aaron Gordon?

Yes, trade makes sense for both teams
66%
No, just draft another rookie instead
34%

Total votes: 41

Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,200

Re: Aaron Gordon to the Timberpups? 

Post#21 » by Neeva » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:50 am

SO_MONEY wrote:
IceManBK1 wrote:Either Aaron Gordon or Simmons will ok for me. We desperately need an upgrade at PF. Juancho is a decent role player. But nowhere near a star player. I'd say we go after Simmons first. If we fail then we go after Aaron Gordon.

Simmons is too hard to build with, I just don't want him at this point given what he might draw in a competitive market. Let another team deal with the problems of fitting a guy like Simmons in their roster.

Rigt, much too expensive. Let Philly deal
With problems of finding the right fits to build around him.
UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 837

Post#22 » by UnFadeable21 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:51 am

Wolves already have good offense. This team needs rebounding and defense and Gordon can supply that.
If he can give 15-8-3 with defense, that’s a big win for the Wolves.
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#23 » by UnFadeable21 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:43 am

shrink wrote:
UnFadeable21 wrote:Aaron Gordon 6'9 235lbs

14ppg, 8 rebs, 3 ast

Aaron Gordon:
2020 3P 30.8%. Career 3P 31.9%
2020 BPM 0.0. Career BPM 0.0

I understand many fans believe Gordon is the answer to the Wolves questions. I don’t agree. The biggest mismatch Towns gives this team is pulling opposing bigs out of the paint. Last year, the Jazz had to take Gobert out from under the rim (where he is historically good at altering shots), and play him man-to-man! Without a credible three point threat, opponents get to keep a big down low to wait for Gordon or other Wolves to drive.

Secondly, it is a huge warning sign that Gordon hasn’t improved since his sophomore season, five years ago. I question his focus. He seems less interested improving for his team than rapping about how he should have got a higher score in a slam dunk contest.

Third, this locks up the salary of the Johnson contract.

If the price is just the #17 and Spellman, I don’t care. This is a price that much of the trade board thinks is fair. Orlando fans uniformly believe that this is undervaluing him. If the Magic front office turned this down, it wouldn’t surprise me. He is less likely to be traded as ORL continues on their path to inconsequential playoff defeats, especially know that Isaac is out for all of next year, and there isn’t any position duplication. Moreover, maybe Gordon would have a higher trade value if he had a few months to rehab it before the trade deadline.

I vote .. meh.

(Maybe a mod can move this to our trade board)

Hey Shrink, your my boy and a cap guru.

The reason why I posted this in its own thread was because the Timberwolves, KAT and DLo were mentioned in the article.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,681

Post#24 » by shrink » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:46 am

Understood. It’s more than an individual poster’s trade idea, so its own thread makes sense.

Would you add a “maybe” to your poll, so I can vote and feel included? :wink:
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,963

Post#25 » by Klomp » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:31 am

UnFadeable21 wrote:Image

The Orlando Magic are in a place of transition as the team looks for ways to upgrade their roster and land a potential superstar. Power forward Aaron Gordon was once thought of as 'the guy' in Orlando, however, that's certainly changed over the course of the last two seasons. The high-flying Gordon has been linked to several teams, dating back to the trade deadline when the Magic first made him available. Turns out it could be at the draft where we see Gordon change jerseys and the Magic finally getting their wish.

According to Forbes' Sean Deveney, one eastern conference executive sees Gordon on the move and soon:

“They were really trying to deal him before the deadline, but they weren't getting the assets back they wanted. It will be easier to move that contract when it's only got two years left. He's probably the most likely big name to be traded. He's a good gamble—he is only 24.”

Gordon is making roughly $34 million over the final two years of his contract, which is a reasonable deal considering his production. 18 million in 2020, declining to 16 million in 2021.

However, some teams are slightly concerned with Gordon's drop in points per game as he's gone from 17.6 to 16 to last year averaging 14.4 ppg. Option 1, no, but Gordon suits up as a perfect compliment to round out a big 3.

So keep an eye on the T-Wolves as they try to put together a young-dominant big-3. KAT and D'Angelo Russell could soon have a new running mate...

Would Magic Fans accept a trade of Timberwolves send 1st round pick #17, expiring James Johnson 16 million, and former first round picks Omari Spellman and Jacob Evans for Aaron Gordon.

This gives the Magic two first round picks, 15 and 17 which they can use to get into the top 10 or stay and draft two rookies of their choice where many draft experts say in the strength of the draft class. James Johnson’s money comes off after 1 season for 2021 Big free agency class. Spellman and Evans, both first round pick draft players are on their rookie contracts and can be opted out of after one season if they don’t workout in 2020 season.

Jonathon Isaac is out for the entire 2020 season and Magic can tank one year, free up a bunch of cap and collect assets for 2021 draft and free agency.

For the Timberwolves, this gives you a rebounding, defending power forward next to KAT who can finish at the rim and in the dunkers spot. He doesn’t need plays called for him. He can cut to the hoop or fast break. He averaged 14ppg, 8 rebs, 3 ast. Shot 35% from 3 last season. He would play the Jerami Grant role for the Wolves. Defense and rebounding.

Pet peeve of mine.....SOURCE YOUR STUFF!
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,764

Post#26 » by Slim Tubby » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:09 am

Neeva wrote:If Maxey is available take him and run.

If Maxey falls to 17, we couldn’t run to the podium fast enough, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#27 » by UnFadeable21 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:12 am

Klomp wrote:
UnFadeable21 wrote:Image

The Orlando Magic are in a place of transition as the team looks for ways to upgrade their roster and land a potential superstar. Power forward Aaron Gordon was once thought of as 'the guy' in Orlando, however, that's certainly changed over the course of the last two seasons. The high-flying Gordon has been linked to several teams, dating back to the trade deadline when the Magic first made him available. Turns out it could be at the draft where we see Gordon change jerseys and the Magic finally getting their wish.

According to Forbes' Sean Deveney, one eastern conference executive sees Gordon on the move and soon:

“They were really trying to deal him before the deadline, but they weren't getting the assets back they wanted. It will be easier to move that contract when it's only got two years left. He's probably the most likely big name to be traded. He's a good gamble—he is only 24.”

Gordon is making roughly $34 million over the final two years of his contract, which is a reasonable deal considering his production. 18 million in 2020, declining to 16 million in 2021.

However, some teams are slightly concerned with Gordon's drop in points per game as he's gone from 17.6 to 16 to last year averaging 14.4 ppg. Option 1, no, but Gordon suits up as a perfect compliment to round out a big 3.

So keep an eye on the T-Wolves as they try to put together a young-dominant big-3. KAT and D'Angelo Russell could soon have a new running mate...

Would Magic Fans accept a trade of Timberwolves send 1st round pick #17, expiring James Johnson 16 million, and former first round picks Omari Spellman and Jacob Evans for Aaron Gordon.

This gives the Magic two first round picks, 15 and 17 which they can use to get into the top 10 or stay and draft two rookies of their choice where many draft experts say in the strength of the draft class. James Johnson’s money comes off after 1 season for 2021 Big free agency class. Spellman and Evans, both first round pick draft players are on their rookie contracts and can be opted out of after one season if they don’t workout in 2020 season.

Jonathon Isaac is out for the entire 2020 season and Magic can tank one year, free up a bunch of cap and collect assets for 2021 draft and free agency.

For the Timberwolves, this gives you a rebounding, defending power forward next to KAT who can finish at the rim and in the dunkers spot. He doesn’t need plays called for him. He can cut to the hoop or fast break. He averaged 14ppg, 8 rebs, 3 ast. Shot 35% from 3 last season. He would play the Jerami Grant role for the Wolves. Defense and rebounding.

Pet peeve of mine.....SOURCE YOUR STUFF!

Quote on Gordon being on the trade block was from Forbes magazine

https://www.forbes.com/sites/seandeveney/2020/07/25/a-lot-of-talk-trade-chatter-underway-even-before-nba-restart/
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by Klomp » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:23 am

UnFadeable21 wrote:
Klomp wrote:Pet peeve of mine.....SOURCE YOUR STUFF!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/seandeveney/2020/07/25/a-lot-of-talk-trade-chatter-underway-even-before-nba-restart/

I'm talking about the stuff within the quote tags that starts "The Orlando Magic are in a place of transition..." It's clearly pulled from somewhere.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#29 » by Jedzz » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:58 pm

shrink wrote:Understood. It’s more than an individual poster’s trade idea, so its own thread makes sense.

Would you add a “maybe” to your poll, so I can vote and feel included? :wink:

Or you could just decide and pick one of the options.

In this thread you described Orlando as on "their path to inconsequential playoff defeats. I'm not a fan of that talk. How is what they do any more inconsequential than how the Wolves operate starting each season selling hope to fans and then giving up by December to tank for the best possible draft pick they choose foolishly on? Unless the draft and player movements are more important than games. I just think they have a strange roster construction and weak leadership holding them back.

They lost one of their better hopes in players to a knee injury. Then lost Gordon just after somehow for the remainder of the season which was fishy. Little hard to fault the early playoff exit against Bucks on anything more than that. They more or less started tanking after August 02nd, Wolves maybe started in early December.

I have my questions on Gordon. His streaky 3pt shooting that can flip from zero ability to good isn't my biggest concern for once because of all else he is capable of in helping the Wolves' team. My huge questions however are mental drive and leadership/desire in his head to care about winning anything. I think we have similar concerns over him about this. That rapping about the dunk contests pretty much confirms where his head is at. Nowheresville. He has the size, athletic ability, defense, ball skills, and when he can focus...even shooting ability. He can put english on a ball at the net with the best of them against good defenders. He has a quick enough game mind that can think about switching different poses during midair on in game dunks. Then he can also appear useless and skillless the next day. Some might say that's typical for players that don't amount to much over a career. But I think it's 100% in his head and that's an issue I don't trust much. You need real leadership on your team to carry his mental status through a season. Like maybe Toronto team level leadership. They maybe could use him and more aptly carry his head. I struggle to see how MN has the leadership to keep him revving. Maybe if guys like Okogie/JJ stayed they could? Doubt it though.

Example: Gordon's worst games this season were consistantly against Bucks. In four games he shot 23% FG overall on a high level of shots. 19% from 3. Bucks were his nemesis. Games of 5,7,10,11pts. Four games against Miami, a bettter team and one of the rare times he shot more than against Bucks, he was 46% overall on FG and 32% from 3. A difference in Offensive Rating between the two opponents of 76 to 108.

Is it much surprise then that after Isaac goes down Aug2nd, and Gordon is staring at the probability of facing Bucks for a playoff series that he comes up lame a couple days later from a hamstring and they don't even try to rehab and return. He leaves the bubble "for the season remainder" they said. They had two weeks until the playoffs would begin. Ultimately even a break in the series. But what was the point when they know this guy has a mental block against this opponent. Does anyone think Gordon wanted to return for that series?

Oddly enough, against the eventual finals winner in 2019 (Rd 1 Toronto), Gordon outplayed Isaac in every game. Maybe one game they were close. He averaged 15/7/4 those games at 32 mins, where Isaac averaged 7/6/0 at 28 mins. Their team fairing all the same as this year without them both. Win first game and lose out. Though he was more consistent that series, I think he's woefuly underperforming his ceiling so far for his career. No reason he shouldn't be averaging 20pts/g when over 30 minutes. No reason but himself.

Another interesting thing about Isaac and Gordan pairing: They weren't defended much as a team. Opponents constantly scoring well over 100. To win they had to score 120+ regularly. So maybe any ideas of Gordan improving defense is just based off a couple defensive highlights that aren't the norm.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#30 » by Jedzz » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:09 pm

Breference says his Orating/Drating is 107/110. Does that fit the trade narratives we've had?
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#31 » by UnFadeable21 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:34 pm

Klomp wrote:
UnFadeable21 wrote:
Klomp wrote:Pet peeve of mine.....SOURCE YOUR STUFF!

I'm talking about the stuff within the quote tags that starts "The Orlando Magic are in a place of transition..." It's clearly pulled from somewhere.

I think it was hoopshype but Andy Bailey of Bleacher Report wrote the exact same one.

The Trade: James Johnson and a 2020 first-round pick (via Brooklyn Nets) for Aaron Gordon

Just before the league's reboot tipped off in Orlando, rumors began to circulate about one of the stars of the local team.

"[The Orlando Magic] were really trying to deal him before the deadline, but they weren't getting the assets back they wanted," an Eastern Conference executive said of Aaron Gordon, per Forbes' Sean Deveney. "It will be easier to move that contract when it's only got two years left. He's probably the most likely big name to be traded. He's a good gamble—he is only 24."

That just happens to be the same age as both Karl-Anthony Towns and D'Angelo Russell. And as the executive says, there's still plenty of time for Gordon to live up to the potential that made him the No. 4 pick in the 2014 draft.

Those three would make for one of the league's more intriguing young trios. With Russell and Towns forcing both bigs and perimeter defenders to pay close attention to the three-point line, driving and cutting lanes would be pretty open for Gordon.

And though he hasn't always performed as such, Gordon has the physical tools to be a multipositional weapon on defense. KAT and Russell need all the help they can get on that end.

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2902435-1-offseason-trade-for-every-nba-lottery-team.amp.html
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by Klomp » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:39 pm

Sounds dedicated to basketball....

Gordon used his time in quarantine to sharpen and really pursue his musical aspirations.

https://www.slamonline.com/music/aaron-gordon-single/

Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,264

Post#33 » by Baseline81 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:27 pm

Jedzz wrote:Breference says his Orating/Drating is 107/110. Does that fit the trade narratives we've had?

I'm not sure that tells us much because Orlando played him at both SF and PF. Does the site have a breakout of the two? As you'd expect, with the Wolves, he predominantly partner Towns.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#34 » by Killboard » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:10 am

I think he is was the Wolves expect Vanderbilt becomes. Great athlete, solid defender who can switch and be a weak side defender and rebounder, who can handle/pass a bit and score inside.

If he is available for basically the 17th pick I would jump on it and trade JJ expiring for him, but not before draft night, you don't want to hinder flexibility that night.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,200

Post#35 » by Neeva » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:20 am

Will Gordon be that big of an improvement over Johnson that wolves are okay giving up one of Sadiq Bey/Tyrese Maxey/RJ Hampton/Ty Terrell/Pokusevski? Gordon’s value has been on a steep decline (he was seen as untouchable by Orlando just a few years ago) Why not wait a year and see if that trend continues and Gordon could be had for even cheaper.

Maybe Johnson will play well to start the season and be a nice trade chip at the deadline.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by Klomp » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:22 am

Baseline81 wrote:
Jedzz wrote:Breference says his Orating/Drating is 107/110. Does that fit the trade narratives we've had?

I'm not sure that tells us much because Orlando played him at both SF and PF. Does the site have a breakout of the two? As you'd expect, with the Wolves, he predominantly partner Towns.

Plus, reference doesn't necessarily know how the players are being used. It says Gordon got 90% of his minutes at PF this season.

Jedzz
RealGM

Post#37 » by Jedzz » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:00 pm

Baseline81 wrote:

Yes, I'm not sure. Didn't look. I have looked at their games over the course of the season and don't see many opponents scoring under 100. From a team standpoint I don't see great defense results. I'm starting to wonder if the few defensive blocks and such I've seen from him are minor parts of his seasons.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#38 » by Klomp » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:23 am

Jedzz wrote:
Baseline81 wrote:

Yes, I'm not sure. Didn't look. I have looked at their games over the course of the season and don't see many opponents scoring under 100. From a team standpoint I don't see great defense results. I'm starting to wonder if the few defensive blocks and such I've seen from him are minor parts of his seasons.

Keep in mind their pace of play was 25th in the league this year. That can make defensive team numbers look better with lower scoring but also puts Gordon in less advantageous situations on offense with his skill set.

minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,724

Post#39 » by minimus » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:46 am

Neeva wrote:Will Gordon be that big of an improvement over Johnson that wolves are okay giving up one of Sadiq Bey/Tyrese Maxey/RJ Hampton/Ty Terrell/Pokusevski? Gordon’s value has been on a steep decline (he was seen as untouchable by Orlando just a few years ago) Why not wait a year and see if that trend continues and Gordon could be had for even cheaper.

Maybe Johnson will play well to start the season and be a nice trade chip at the deadline.

After Isaac went down on Jan 1st, Gordon played full time PF and averaged 15.5ppg, 8.1rpg, 4.4apg, on 46.5% FG, 32.3% from 3PT in 33 games. If I filter players who averaged more than 15ppg, and more than 8rpg, and more than 4apg, then I get following list:

Giannis
Jokic
Bam
Doncic
KAT
Sabonis

Impressive list, right? I believe that we should try to acquire Gordon if the price is right. He might be the best complimentary player for our system, who is available on trade market.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,834

Post#40 » by KGdaBom » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:22 pm

minimus wrote:
Neeva wrote:Will Gordon be that big of an improvement over Johnson that wolves are okay giving up one of Sadiq Bey/Tyrese Maxey/RJ Hampton/Ty Terrell/Pokusevski? Gordon’s value has been on a steep decline (he was seen as untouchable by Orlando just a few years ago) Why not wait a year and see if that trend continues and Gordon could be had for even cheaper.

After Isaac went down on Jan 1st, Gordon played full time PF and averaged 15.5ppg, 8.1rpg, 4.4apg, on 46.5% FG, 32.3% from 3PT in 33 games. If I filter players who averaged more than 15ppg, and more than 8rpg, and more than 4apg, then I get following list:

Giannis
Jokic
Bam
Doncic
KAT
Sabonis

Impressive list, right? I believe that we should try to acquire Gordon if the price is right. He might be the best complimentary player for our system, who is available on trade market.

Those numbers are very good.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves