ImageImageImage

Ben Simmons for the No. 1 Pick?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Would you trade the No. 1 pick, Culver, Johnson, Spellman, and Evans for Ben Simmons?

Yes, in heart beat. All NBA defender and 3rd star to pair with KAT & DLo
86%
No, giving too much and Simmons can't shoot
14%

Total votes: 66

Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,493

Re: Ben Simmons for the No. 1 Pick? 

Post#21 » by Wolveswin » Fri Oct 2, 2020 9:07 am

I just don’t see how this isn’t a 3 teamer.

Beal
LaVine
Holiday

Are obvious choices. Many more options out there. Rivers is going to have so much pressure to win-NOW, no way rookie Ball is his answer.

76ers are not in financial trouble. They have two 2nd contract max players and not crazy into luxury tax. Simmons contract $ yet to be set. Harris and Horford are awful contracts, but moveable if cap and tax are for some reason more important than winning. 76ers have 2020 1st, two early 2nd round picks, all their own 1sts, and some interesting youth. Moving Horford 2+NG or Harris (quality starter just 20-30% overpaid) isn’t impossible (they are not unplayable albatross or dead weight contracts).
LibertyPrime
Starter
And1: 1,887

Post#22 » by LibertyPrime » Fri Oct 2, 2020 9:42 am

I thoroughly distrust Simmons and even I would do this in a heartbeat. If there's one team in the league that could cover for Ben's lack of shooting it would be MN.
"The last domino falls here!"
UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 837

Post#23 » by UnFadeable21 » Fri Oct 2, 2020 12:15 pm

Which NBA team says no?

Minnesota Timberwolves get Ben Simmons & 21st draft pick.

Philadelphia 76ers get Chris Paul, Omari Spellman, Jacob Evans & 1st overall draft pick.

OKC Thunder get Jarrett Culver, Josh Richardson, James Johnson & the 17th Pick.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,194

Post#24 » by Neeva » Fri Oct 2, 2020 12:28 pm

That is too good a return for 49 year old Paul (who is probably due to miss half a season with injury). Wolves keeping the Nets pick and philly keeping 21 or Richardson is better IMO.
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#25 » by UnFadeable21 » Fri Oct 2, 2020 12:31 pm

Neeva wrote:That is too good a return for 49 year old Paul (who is probably due to miss half a season with injury). Wolves keeping the Nets pick and philly keeping 21 makes it more fair IMO.

Why would Philly want Paul and Lamelo though?

Or they could go Paul and Anthony Edwards.

Chris Paul showed he’s still a top 5 PG in the NBA.
Neeva
Head Coach

Post#26 » by Neeva » Fri Oct 2, 2020 12:38 pm

UnFadeable21 wrote:
Neeva wrote:That is too good a return for 49 year old Paul (who is probably due to miss half a season with injury). Wolves keeping the Nets pick and philly keeping 21 makes it more fair IMO.

Why would Philly want Paul and Lamelo though?

Or they could go Paul and Anthony Edwards.

Chris Paul showed he’s still a top 5 PG in the NBA.

That’s true I like it overall but hate how lucky presti and okc always are. Just a year ago Paul was one of the most toxic contracts in the entire league and With their luck Culver will become a star and Maxey or Bey will be there for them at 17 as well.
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,164

Post#27 » by _AIJ_ » Fri Oct 2, 2020 1:01 pm

Say this trade will happen, do you think Russell would be dealt as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
NebWolvesFan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#28 » by NebWolvesFan » Fri Oct 2, 2020 1:35 pm

This is why Minnesota needs to keep drafting and acquiring shooters. Trade back for picks - draft Vessell/Nesmith in the lottery, draft Seddiq Bey at 17 and Bane/Terry/Woodard at 33. The more shooters Minnesota can put into a trade package the better. I doubt Minnesota has the assets to get Simmons now, but with a solid draft they could at the deadline.
Neeva
Head Coach

Post#29 » by Neeva » Fri Oct 2, 2020 1:53 pm

The best shooter may be Isaiah Joe and he will probably be available at 33. Joe is 6’5 with 6’10 wingspan. Grant Riller should also be available at 33. I don’t think Tyrell Terry will be available at 33 , although I would do cartwheels if he was (and Rosas picked him)
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#30 » by UnFadeable21 » Fri Oct 2, 2020 2:03 pm

_AIJ_ wrote:Say this trade will happen, do you think Russell would be dealt as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wolves would be keeping Simmons, DLo, and Towns together as their big 3. All guys would be locked up for at least the next 3 years.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,603

Post#31 » by shrink » Fri Oct 2, 2020 2:14 pm

This is a no-brainer, and I would even feel bad for PHI fans if such an unbalanced trade happened.

Two thoughts

1. Do you guys remember when KAT and Embiid got into it last year, and the fight ended with Simmons on top of Towns in a chokehold? I fully expected Simmons to get a few games suspension as well, because of the danger of that move (which has tragically been highlighted here in MIN). Simmons received no suspension. The word is Towns and Simmons are good friends, and he supposedly called the NBA front office behind the scenes and requested Simmons receive no penalty. This deal has additional benefit to MIN by bringing in a buddy, making it even more likely KAT stays here in a few years when he has leverage to ask out.

2. Embiid was never a match for Simmons, while KAT is probably the ultimate fit for him. That said, Simmons is not the best fit here. Obviously you don’t pass on the chance to add someone this talented, but Simmons can’t hit a three (and some nights struggles to hit a 2) which diminishes KAT’s impact. Simmons is also most valuable with the ball in his hands, and unfortunately, the only way that Russell is going to pay back part of that max deal is if he is in that role - it’s not coming from his defense. Again, this is still a steal for MIN for value, but Rosas and Saunders will have to deal with the complications of the fit.

I would happily give them Russell over Johnson, and still do this deal.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Neeva
Head Coach

Post#32 » by Neeva » Fri Oct 2, 2020 2:20 pm

UnFadeable21 wrote:Image

Which NBA team says no?

Philadelphia 76ers get Chris Paul, Omari Spellman, Jacob Evans & 1st overall draft pick.

How about James Johnson goes to Philly and Horford to OKC. Would that still work? I think Philly only goes for Paul if they can dump Horford.
Neeva
Head Coach

Post#33 » by Neeva » Fri Oct 2, 2020 2:29 pm

shrink wrote:This is a no-brainer, and I would even feel bad for PHI fans if such an unbalanced trade happened.

Two thoughts

1. Do you guys remember when KAT and Embiid got into it last year, and the fight ended with Simmons on top of Towns in a chokehold? I fully expected Simmons to get a few games suspension as well, because of the danger of that move (which has tragically been highlighted here in MIN). Simmons received no suspension. The word is Towns and Simmons are good friends, and he supposedly called the NBA front office behind the scenes and requested Simmons receive no penalty. This deal has additional benefit to MIN by bringing in a buddy, making it even more likely KAT stays here in a few years when he has leverage to ask out.

2. Embiid was never a match for Simmons, while KAT is probably the ultimate fit for him. That said, Simmons is not the best fit here. Obviously you don’t pass on the chance to add someone this talented, but Simmons can’t hit a three (and some nights struggles to hit a 2) which diminishes KAT’s impact. Simmons is also most valuable with the ball in his hands, and unfortunately, the only way that Russell is going to pay back part of that max deal is if he is in that role - it’s not coming from his defense. Again, this is still a steal for MIN for value, but Rosas and Saunders will have to deal with the complications of the fit.

A lot of Philly fans (on twitter) seem to want Lamelo Ball though. They think he will bring excitement at the PG position they have been missing since Iverson.
It’s really only unbalanced if you don’t believe in Ball’s hype. I think if he has a ROY type first season he will be just behind Lebron, Luka, and Curry in hype and tv coverage (his coverage is already insane)
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#34 » by UnFadeable21 » Fri Oct 2, 2020 2:30 pm

Neeva wrote:
UnFadeable21 wrote:
Which NBA team says no?

How about James Johnson goes to Philly and Horford to OKC. Would that still work? I think Philly only goes for Paul if they can dump Horford.

I don’t think OKC would take Horford because they are doing a full rebuild. They would require more compensation to take on 3 years 80 million.

I think Chris Paul can play with horford and Embiid together. He did it with Blake and Jordan and also with Tyson Chandler and David West back in the day.
UnFadeable21
Veteran

Post#35 » by UnFadeable21 » Fri Oct 2, 2020 2:31 pm

shrink wrote:This is a no-brainer, and I would even feel bad for PHI fans if such an unbalanced trade happened.

Two thoughts

Check out my second trade for Simmons is I believe is more realistic.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,821

Post#36 » by KGdaBom » Fri Oct 2, 2020 3:23 pm

If somehow this trade happens everybody will love it, but in 2 years I bet people will be whining about it for all the same reasons they whined about the Jimmy Butler trade. Somebody picked in the top few picks will be a rising star at 21 years old on a rookie contract. Culver may be looking good. How will the ball handling duties be divided with Simmons and Russell. Simmons will be too expensive, old, injury prone and can't shoot etc...
I won't think that, but I can just about guarantee you that many will.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Post#37 » by jpatrick » Fri Oct 2, 2020 3:32 pm

Philly can get Paul without moving Simmons. He’s no longer a negative asset like he was last year, but with that salary and at his age, he won’t command much and I’ve read OKC is looking to cut salary. I bet they’d love a straight dump with a small asset in return.

Yeah, and if Ball becomes a top 10 player in the league, averaging a triple double, Rosas will get hammered. However, it would still be the right move, taking the sure thing (Simmons) over a risk (Ball).
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,961

Post#38 » by Domejandro » Fri Oct 2, 2020 3:35 pm

Two thoughts

I wish I had Synergy still, but I know that most of the data sports that in half-court situations Ben Simmons operates excellently as a secondary ball-handler/cutter. I think there is potential there that just hasn’t been explored fully.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,961

Post#39 » by Domejandro » Fri Oct 2, 2020 3:37 pm

By the way, if this thread wasn’t generating good discussion and I got to it sooner, I might have have merged/locked because of the source; this definitely isn’t reliable, haha. That said, this is a dream scenario for Minnesota.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,821

Post#40 » by KGdaBom » Fri Oct 2, 2020 3:42 pm

jpatrick wrote:Philly can get Paul without moving Simmons. He’s no longer a negative asset like he was last year, but with that salary and at his age, he won’t command much and I’ve read OKC is looking to cut salary. I bet they’d love a straight dump with a small asset in return.

Yeah, and if Ball becomes a top 10 player in the league, averaging a triple double, Rosas will get hammered. However, it would still be the right move, taking the sure thing (Simmons) over a risk (Ball).

I was thinking somebody other than Ball would be that rising star. :lol:

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves