ImageImageImage

Report: “Minnesota Loves Obi Toppin”

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Would you be Happy with Obi Toppin as the Pick?

Yes, he’s NBA ready and polished
19%
No, I like another prospect more
81%

Total votes: 37

Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Re: Report: “Minnesota Loves Obi Toppin” 

Post#61 » by Dewey » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:36 pm

thinktank wrote:
Baseline81 wrote:
thinktank wrote:I know a lot of b-ball fans in the Dayton area and they say Toppin works harder than anyone and they expect that he’ll improve on that end.

That phrase gets tossed around a lot, especially close to the draft. Not saying Toppin doesn't, but when I hear that I generally let it go in one ear and out the other quickly.

In the DraftExpress video with Tyrese Maxey, he basically says that with his reason for doing the two-a-day workouts.

Yep. Nevertheless, Toppin has already demonstrated improvement.

He used to not shoot threes. Then he added that to his game, for example.

Just saying, the b-ball minds in Dayton say this guy has a great work ethic.

You can ignore that if you like.

Not trying to be snarky but ... I LOVE the “B-Ball Minds” part !! I always forget about that one :nod:
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#62 » by Jedzz » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:33 pm

Obi sucks. Baseline told us. Story at 11. To be double checked after his rookie season.
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,262

Post#63 » by Baseline81 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:05 pm

Jedzz wrote:Obi sucks. Baseline told us. Story at 11. To be double checked after his rookie season.

Turning to childish barbs...

Never said he sucked. In fact, I haven't said anything bad about the type of player he is on the offensive side of the ball. Only thing you'll find is I wouldn't consider him with the first overall pick because of his sub-par defense. As such, I don't think he's the ideal fit next to Towns. If we are only looking at prospects, I would rather have the better defender in Okongwu.
thinktank
Analyst
And1: 1,714

Post#64 » by thinktank » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:28 pm

Dewey wrote:
thinktank wrote:
Baseline81 wrote:That phrase gets tossed around a lot, especially close to the draft. Not saying Toppin doesn't, but when I hear that I generally let it go in one ear and out the other quickly.

In the DraftExpress video with Tyrese Maxey, he basically says that with his reason for doing the two-a-day workouts.

Yep. Nevertheless, Toppin has already demonstrated improvement.

He used to not shoot threes. Then he added that to his game, for example.

Just saying, the b-ball minds in Dayton say this guy has a great work ethic.

You can ignore that if you like.

Not trying to be snarky but ... I LOVE the “B-Ball Minds” part !! I always forget about that one :nod:

All you need to know is I’m sharing a take from a guy who played with Fat Lever and Byron Scott. He was Mr. Basketball Ohio and Dayton is his home.

I already said, ignore it if you want.
"a poor addition to the board"
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,764

Post#65 » by Slim Tubby » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:32 pm

I don’t blame anyone for having serious concerns about Obi considering our current lack of defense. The question I have personally is if people believe that Melo can improve his jumper and Edwards can improve his motor at the next level, why can’t Obi improve his defense?

By all accounts, Obi works his a$$ off but so does Lavine and that hasn’t translated yet to him improving his defense. If there was a way to get back in the lottery to select Obi if he slides, that would be ideal IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#66 » by Jedzz » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:54 am

Baseline81 wrote:
Jedzz wrote:Obi sucks. Baseline told us. Story at 11. To be double checked after his rookie season.

Turning to childish barbs...

Never said he sucked. In fact, I haven't said anything bad about the type of player he is on the offensive side of the ball. Only thing you'll find is I wouldn't consider him with the first overall pick because of his sub-par defense. As such, I don't think he's the ideal fit next to Towns. If we are only looking at prospects, I would rather have the better defender in Okongwu.

So you would like Okongwu as the #1 pick. I'll circle back to that after year 1 as well. Got it.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#67 » by Jedzz » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:00 am

Slim Tubby wrote:I don’t blame anyone for having serious concerns about Obi considering our current lack of defense. The question I have personally is if people believe that Melo can improve his jumper and Edwards can improve his motor at the next level, why can’t Obi improve his defense?

By all accounts, Obi works his a$$ off but so does Lavine and that hasn’t translated yet to him improving his defense. If there was a way to get back in the lottery to select Obi if he slides, that would be ideal IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there some physical thing holding LaVine back from defending? Or is it just something that he doesn't have a natural feel for and will take years to end up having experience help with. I don't blame LaVine much for not having a high defensive game IQ. He barely had any college minutes and then he came to Timberwolves who have never seemed to know how to ramp these guys up to play defense. Hard start to a career defensively. I think he needs the experience path. It will come. Like it did for Harden and others with time.

These guys are both blaming a physical liability in Obi and also claiming he can't improve once in the NBA. Meanwhile it's ok to assume countless others will that showed little if any defense in college, as long as they are the favorites of these same guys.
Baseline81
Starter

Post#68 » by Baseline81 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:10 am

Jedzz wrote:So you would like Okongwu as the #1 pick. I'll circle back to that after year 1 as well. Got it.

You love to take things and run with them. I never said I would select Okongwu with the first overall pick. If you read what I wrote, I stated Toppin's not an ideal fit next to Towns, Okongwu is because he's a better defender.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#69 » by Jedzz » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:25 am

Baseline81 wrote:
Jedzz wrote:So you would like Okongwu as the #1 pick. I'll circle back to that after year 1 as well. Got it.

You love to take things and run with them. I never said I would select Okongwu with the first overall pick. If you read what I wrote, I stated Toppin's not an ideal fit next to Towns, Okongwu is because he's a better defender.

The discussion I was in here for was the option of just drafting Obi #1, or #4 or whatever it ends up. You are one of those claiming it shouldn't happen. You say you would rather choose Okongwu. Well, then...you have chosen Okongwu at the pick range we are talking about. I really don't care if you think Okongwu and or Obi are better suited for picks 8, 10, 17, or 45. It's all total doggy doo to me. It's a farce of a process handled one day a year that ruins way too many players and teams. Simply because people have found a way to sell the hell out of the event doesn't mean any of the fictitious values or rankings leading up to or stemming from this process mean a single thing to me other than I have seen how a number of teams, media and fans live and die on the results of this junk. I don't subscribe. I don't adhere. I just notice year after year a number of teams picking no where near the top 10 seem to repatedly find the same kind of real basketball players and the many draft wizards wouldn't even spare a wink for most of those guys along the way.

Why don't you take a look at the historical results of pick #13. Who was picked there and where they ranked in their drafts after their careers were told. That's just one pick that comes after every seasons' overhyped top 3, top5 or 10. Maybe you can explain all those players that had to wait for 13 while we have to listen to the master hype evaluators all about their crowned 3 each season. All these top 10 picks for the Wolves over the years. If only they could have found the players that went right over their heads each time.
Baseline81
Starter

Post#70 » by Baseline81 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:32 am

Jedzz wrote:The discussion I was in here for was the option of just drafting Obi #1, or #4 or whatever it ends up. You are one of those claiming it shouldn't happen. You say you would rather choose Okongwu. Well, then...you have chosen Okongwu at the pick range we are talking about. I really don't care if you think Okongwu and or Obi are better suited for picks 8, 10, 17, or 45. It's all total doggy doo to me. It's a farce of a process handled one day a year that ruins way too many players and teams. Simply because people have found a way to sell the hell out of the event doesn't mean any of the fictitious values or rankings leading up to or stemming from this process mean a single thing to me other than I have seen how a number of teams, media and fans live and die on the results of this junk. I don't subscribe. I don't adhere. I just notice year after year a number of teams picking no where near the top 10 seem to repatedly find the same kind of real basketball players and the many draft wizards wouldn't even spare a wink for most of those guys along the way.

Why don't you take a look at the historical results of pick #13. Who was picked there and where they ranked in their drafts after their careers were told. That's just one pick that comes after every seasons' overhyped top 3, top5 or 10.

Did you see the very first page of this thread? If so, you would have seen I acknowledged the Wolves might draft Toppin, just not first overall.

Baseline81 wrote:Please stop making new threads for these types of things. There is a NBA draft thread.

I can guarantee you the Wolves will not select Toppin with the first overall pick in November. He may be trade down target, much like Okongwu or Okoro.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#71 » by Jedzz » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:35 am

Baseline81 wrote:
Jedzz wrote:The discussion I was in here for was the option of just drafting Obi #1, or #4 or whatever it ends up. You are one of those claiming it shouldn't happen. You say you would rather choose Okongwu. Well, then...you have chosen Okongwu at the pick range we are talking about. I really don't care if you think Okongwu and or Obi are better suited for picks 8, 10, 17, or 45. It's all total doggy doo to me. It's a farce of a process handled one day a year that ruins way too many players and teams. Simply because people have found a way to sell the hell out of the event doesn't mean any of the fictitious values or rankings leading up to or stemming from this process mean a single thing to me other than I have seen how a number of teams, media and fans live and die on the results of this junk. I don't subscribe. I don't adhere. I just notice year after year a number of teams picking no where near the top 10 seem to repatedly find the same kind of real basketball players and the many draft wizards wouldn't even spare a wink for most of those guys along the way.

Why don't you take a look at the historical results of pick #13. Who was picked there and where they ranked in their drafts after their careers were told. That's just one pick that comes after every seasons' overhyped top 3, top5 or 10.

Did you see the very first page of this thread? If so, you would have seen I acknowledged the Wolves might draft Toppin, just not first overall.

Baseline81 wrote:Please stop making new threads for these types of things. There is a NBA draft thread.

I can guarantee you the Wolves will not select Toppin with the first overall pick in November. He may be trade down target, much like Okongwu or Okoro.

I saw that post where you alerted us all to your Obi hate. Sure.
Baseline81
Starter

Post#72 » by Baseline81 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:03 am

Jedzz wrote:I saw that post where you alerted us all to your Obi hate. Sure.

I would have said the exact same thing if it was a thread on Okongwu, Okoro or someone else not being heavily considered for the first overall pick.

Whether you subscribe or adhere to this draft process is irrelevant. The "fictitious" values laid upon these picks/prospects are real -- there is a gamesmanship about the draft. The Wolves or any other team can take advantage of so-called tiers, etc. Hence, why take a prospect like Toppin first when you could trade down to garner, at worst, an additional second round pick (same or future draft) and then still select Toppin?

Do you recall when the Wolves had the fourth pick in the 2010 NBA draft? John Wall was the prize. The next so-called tier consisted of Evan Turner, Derrick Favors and DeMarcus Cousins. I'm sure you would have been against the designation at the time, though that's not the point. Minnesota/Kahn tried to outsmart the others and reached on Wesley Johnson. If only the team would have stayed within that group. Cousins may have been a trading chip or, as we saw what actually happen, turn out to be quite a player compared to Johnson the bust.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#73 » by Jedzz » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:48 pm

Baseline81 wrote:

I would have said the exact same thing if it was a thread on Okongwu, Okoro or someone else not being heavily considered for the first overall pick.

Whether you subscribe or adhere to this draft process is irrelevant. The "fictitious" values laid upon these picks/prospects are real --

These are not real in terms of building a team up from garbage to a winner.

Ask youself how the Heat dared putting a roster together with undrafted players with high minutes and starting, others with draft history of pick #13 or pick #30 starring for them in the playoffs. Can you honestly see the Timberwolves ever doing this even for more than one individual much less 4 to 5 of their playing roster? Would you imagine this was better for the Heat's team value, all their player's values, all their sales income? Could the team that started Wiggins for 35 minutes every game over 5 years regardless of play and then maxed him ever, ever, allow the actual best players to earn starting gigs and high minutes and help them become a finals team? It cannot happen until you see the draft and it's fake player values for the joke that it is.

Think of the best actual players the team made positive trades with lately. He was an undrafted RoCo. Before him it was #13 LaVine. Wolves had to sell Wiggins plus a high FRP to get Dlo. Basically a peak playing Kevin Love plus a #1 overall plus a high 2021 frp for the former 2015 #2 pick. We are going backwards with this value stuff just trying to play that side game and wasting years and players along the way.

Even now, many disregard Beasley's value because of his former draft history more than any other reason. Not for what he's earned from the bench playing on up. They would just as soon let him walk as they were fine seeing LaVine get traded before Wiggins.

Stop believing so much in the draft values. Better yet, forget it exists as anything. Focus on who the players are. The team won't be any worse for it.
Baseline81
Starter

Post#74 » by Baseline81 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:59 pm

For those interested, here's Dane Moore on Toppin (starts at 6:33):
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/how-obi-toppin-cole-anthony-would-fit-timberwolves/id1399177286?i=1000471723554

He's joined by University of St. Thomas basketball coach Will DeBerg. Needless to say, they look very fondly at his offensive skill set, but are very concerned defensively, going so far to say he should be viewed more as center than PF. How would that work with Towns?
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#75 » by urinesane » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:00 pm

Jedzz wrote:
Baseline81 wrote:

Whether you subscribe or adhere to this draft process is irrelevant. The "fictitious" values laid upon these picks/prospects are real --

These are not real in terms of building a team up from garbage to a winner.

Ask youself how the Heat dared putting a roster together with undrafted players with high minutes and starting, others with draft history of pick #13 or pick #30 starring for them in the playoffs. Can you honestly see the Timberwolves ever doing this even for more than one individual much less 4 to 5 of their playing roster? Would you imagine this was better for the Heat's team value, all their player's values, all their sales income? Could the team that started Wiggins for 35 minutes every game over 5 years regardless of play and then maxed him ever, ever, allow the actual best players to earn starting gigs and high minutes and help them become a finals team? It cannot happen until you see the draft and it's fake player values for the joke that it is.

Think of the best actual players the team made positive trades with lately. He was an undrafted RoCo. Before him it was #13 LaVine. Wolves had to sell Wiggins plus a high FRP to get Dlo. Basically a peak playing Kevin Love plus a #1 overall plus a high 2021 frp for the former 2015 #2 pick. We are going backwards with this value stuff just trying to play that side game and wasting years and players along the way.

Even now, many disregard Beasley's value because of his former draft history more than any other reason. Not for what he's earned from the bench playing on up. They would just as soon let him walk as they were fine seeing LaVine get traded before Wiggins.

Stop believing so much in the draft values. Better yet, forget it exists as anything. Focus on who the players are. The team won't be any worse for it.

This is a great post and is a point that isn't considered very often. Many teams make a high pick and then chase their losses for years, crippling their franchise and keeping them on a set path of mediocrity. If you're a bad team looking for your franchise savior, it generally doesn't come through the top of the draft (we just get tied up in confirmation bias and ignore the much higher volume of misses).

If you get a top pick AND it's a franchise changing player, the pressure is then on to surround them with enough talent to contend, or else that player will just leave on their 3rd contract and you're back to rebuilding. Teams that draft well (Spurs/Heat) have no pressure on their picks, because they only have to evaluate their actual value on the court. They aren't stuck paying high rookie contracts, which means those players only get play time if they can produce and give value to the team NOW.

When you're constantly picking high in the draft in this one and done era, you're more often than not stuck with having to develop high potential players in systems that lack the consistency and stability to do so properly. If those players end up reaching any of their potential, the benefit usually goes to their next team (or their third if they are traded for their expiring contract and the 2nd team is just trying to clear cap space). I like Rosas' approach that is more similar to moneyball, where he is looking for maximum value in output for the price, rather than doing the standard Minnesota Loser Mentality of vastly overpaying players, because of not being a great place to live during the winter (which is partially true, but often overblown by external bias which will not change no matter how great the Twin Cities can be).

In this draft, if they don't swing for someone like Wiseman with the top pick, I'd rather they just trade down and look for great value/underrated players that will perform above their pay. It not only creates less risk for the team (as less money tied to a player that doesn't work out is easier to move/buy out) AND it creates potential loyalty with those players that do workout because we took a chance on them and gave them an opportunity. THAT is how you change the culture and external view of your franchise, by being smart and giving OPPORTUNITY to hungry players that just need a chance in the right system to shine.

It's not with shiny new, perfect until they actually play, ego inflated/entitled players that have had smoke blown up their asses like they're child stars since HS.

Edwards/Ball will need MAJOR development time on their first team to even contribute to a winning NBA franchise, period. Do we really want the Wolves to continue being a glorified minor league development team or would we rather have Rosas search for gems that have more potential upside than down that can actually help this team WIN more? That's the only way we keep KAT and DLo for any stretch of time past their current contracts.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#76 » by Jedzz » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:05 pm

Baseline81 wrote:
Do you recall when the Wolves had the fourth pick in the 2010 NBA draft? John Wall was the prize. The next so-called tier consisted of Evan Turner, Derrick Favors and DeMarcus Cousins. I'm sure you would have been against the designation at the time, though that's not the point. Minnesota/Kahn tried to outsmart the others and reached on Wesley Johnson. If only the team would have stayed within that group. Cousins may have been a trading chip or, as we saw what actually happen, turn out to be quite a player compared to Johnson the bust.

:lol: No. The Wolves just picked the wrong player. Wesley was indeed mocked anywhere from 4th to 10th by that draft and was described beforehand as the fastest riser gaining steam and obviously was part of the Hype machine.

What about other players drafted afterwards.
Al FA, Gordan Hayward, Paul George go 8.9.10. Garbage right.
Bledsoe, 18, Lance Stephenson 40
Even Patrick Patterson could be argued from that year over Wesley or others they took later.

The Wolves in classic fashion missed everyone that was to turn out good, also drafted Luke Babbit 16, and traded him for Webster, and then drafted Trevor Booker 23 possibly for two 30 something picks - Lazar Hayward and Bjelica. (Is that right?)

Evan Turner the #2 pick of 2010 is now in the hands of MN. yay But here you are focusing on the top 4 picks again and suggesting there was only 4 choices in this draft. I would have been fine if they reached to select Paul G, Gordon H, wouldn't you have?
Baseline81
Starter

Post#77 » by Baseline81 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:23 pm

Jedzz wrote: :lol: No. The Wolves just picked the wrong player. Wesley was indeed mocked anywhere from 4th to 10th by that draft and was described beforehand as the fastest riser gaining steam and obviously was part of the Hype machine.

Even Patrick Patterson could be argued from that year over Wesley or others they took later.

The Wolves in classic fashion missed everyone that was to turn out good, also drafted Luke Babbit 16, and traded him for Webster, and then drafted Trevor Booker 23 possibly for two 30 something picks - Lazar Hayward and Bjelica. (Is that right?)

Evan Turner the #2 pick of 2010 is now in the hands of MN. yay But here you are focusing on the top 4 picks again and suggesting there was only 4 choices in this draft. I would have been fine if they reached to select Paul G, Gordon H, wouldn't you have?

You are missing the point. The Wolves could have extracted an additional asset because of how the draft operates. Instead, they went outside and missed on everything.

And that is what you are suggesting by selecting Toppin first overall. If he flops in the league, the Wolves have nothing to show for it. At least trade back and grab something, anything, from one of these teams in the top 3-5 and still draft Toppin.

In regards to to your question at the end, I was in favor of the rumored Flynn for Indiana pick (George). I never saw what others possibly did in Johnson.

By the way, I posted a link to Dane Moore's podcast (previous post) in which he breakdowns Toppin's game and how it may translate to the NBA. I'm curious to hear your perspective of it? Or do you think he's believing the hype? It's only 25-30 minutes long.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#78 » by Jedzz » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:19 pm

Baseline81 wrote:
Jedzz wrote: :lol: No. The Wolves just picked the wrong player. Wesley was indeed mocked anywhere from 4th to 10th by that draft and was described beforehand as the fastest riser gaining steam and obviously was part of the Hype machine.

You are missing the point. The Wolves could have extracted an additional asset because of how the draft operates. Instead, they went outside and missed on everything.

And that is what you are suggesting by selecting Toppin first overall. If he flops in the league, the Wolves have nothing to show for it. At least trade back and grab something, anything, from one of these teams in the top 3-5 and still draft Toppin.

In regards to to your question at the end, I was in favor of the rumored Flynn for Indiana pick (George). I never saw what others possibly did in Johnson.

By the way, I posted a link to Dane Moore's podcast (previous post) in which he breakdowns Toppin's game and how it may translate to the NBA. I'm curious to hear your perspective of it? Or do you think he's believing the hype? It's only 25-30 minutes long.

I can't read past your first line with any acceptance so I go no further. You missed the entire point yet you claim I have? The point is for the Wolves to find the right, real players from the draft using their picks. That is the point of these drafts. When you focus so entirely on perceived draft values and being the best "draft GM" according to draft value people, they fail on finding the best players for the team from the draft. Everyone needs to just forget thatt anyione ever dreamed up and assigned projected values on these players. It's all fake and has been proven wrong more times than not. It's the Wolves GM's job to find basketball players to improve his team, not to draft the correct value at our pick number that unrelated people think these players' values are.

If you want to insist that your team's GM gets good value for trades of the team's picks, that's an entirely different story depending on whether they are trading down or out or for existing NBA talent. These picks can have reality applied to their value when you start talking about existing proven NBA players in exchange or for trading for future picks. The part that isn't reality based is when you try to assign value to players that nobody can forsee the future of. You can throw educated guesses at it all you want but it's meaningless. In your own example Evan Turner went #2 overall and out of ten seasons might have had one 1.5 season stretch where he hinted at being anything more then a below average guard/wing of this league. I'm not sure he ever locked down a position. He maxed out at around 14 pts a game one season with a career avg of 6ppg and 3.5 apg. Philly gave 172 starts and 279 games to that #2 overall pick over 3.5 seasons before trading him. At least they cut it shorter than 6 years and moved on. Look at all the real players Philly also missed in that draft after pick 2. But they sure selected in your top 3 that year. Good for them, right? During that 3.5 years and all the starts they gave him other players were kept from a chance to shine for them.

We all need to stop assigning phony value to these players and claiming they were born for certain pick ranges and realize they are all just a number and the earlier numbers just give you a bigger set of players to choose from. The later your pick, the smaller the set of players you get to pick from. That's the benefit of drafting earlier. The benefit is not that the whole world is going to help you project and correctly evaluate your choice for you. In fact they are more likely to try and trick you into something foolish.
IceManBK1
Analyst
And1: 330

Post#79 » by IceManBK1 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:24 pm

wonder who's the better dunker b/w Aaron Gordon and Obi Toppin? Whoever wins gets to become wolves PF lol. J/K still prefer Gordon if possible.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#80 » by Jedzz » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:32 pm

IceManBK1 wrote:wonder who's the better dunker b/w Aaron Gordon and Obi Toppin? Whoever wins gets to become wolves PF lol. J/K still prefer Gordon if possible.

Their size and athleticism, ability to score at will at the net is something that can make this team stronger. I wonder if Toppin could even play a SF wing role for this team at times. His college 3pt shot looks usable, hope it plays out that way.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves