ImageImageImage

Trade Talk (Part Five)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 3,982

Re: Trade Talk (Part Five) 

Post#1101 » by wolves_89 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:34 am

Justin Patton just got waived. I wonder if he can be signed to a two-way contract?
raise_21_up
Ballboy
And1: 12

Post#1102 » by raise_21_up » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:46 am

wolves_89 wrote:Justin Patton just got waived. I wonder if he can be signed to a two-way contract?

I haven't followed him since we traded him. Has he done well in the g-league these past couple years? I had high hopes for him being the future 4 next to kat, unfortunately injuries seemed to derail his career.
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 3,982

Post#1103 » by wolves_89 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:52 am

raise_21_up wrote:
wolves_89 wrote:Justin Patton just got waived. I wonder if he can be signed to a two-way contract?

I haven't followed him since we traded him. Has he done well in the g-league these past couple years? I had high hopes for him being the future 4 next to kat, unfortunately injuries seemed to derail his career.

I honestly don't know how well he's been doing. I just remember I liked his game a lot when he was playing in Iowa and he seems to be healthy. Another point in his favor is the Wolves probably need a big as their second two-way.
raise_21_up
Ballboy

Post#1104 » by raise_21_up » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:44 am

wolves_89 wrote:
raise_21_up wrote:

I honestly don't know how well he's been doing. I just remember I liked his game a lot when he was playing in Iowa and he seems to be healthy. Another point in his favor is the Wolves probably need a big as their second two-way.

Right on. Seems like the perfect type of player to take a flier on. Looks like he averaged 12 and 8 last year in 30 g league games. I also remember liking his game as well especially his passing skills.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#1105 » by Jedzz » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:56 am

raise_21_up wrote:

Holy smokes! Watch this thing. may be the answer to competing against AD. Still has that passing ability, blocks, shots. Is he still available? Grab him now! Cut someone now.

If you don't have a full two minutes to spare, at least start at 1:20. Nuts!
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#1106 » by Jedzz » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:58 am

uh
old school 34
Senior
And1: 240

Post#1107 » by old school 34 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:09 am

shrink wrote:
jpatrick wrote:
wolves_89 wrote:
I'd rather stick with Culver. He is a year younger and was the better player last season.

Was he the better player? Every offensive statistic would say otherwise. Plus Hunter has the defensive versatility to play either forward spot, which is something we critically need. He’s a legit 6’8” with 7’2” wingspan. He’s similar physically to OG Anunoby.

I don’t know who will be better down the road, I think Culver has a higher upside while Hunter is a better fit.

Hunter: -2.9 OBPM, -1.8 DBPM, -4.7 BPM. -1.4 VORP
Culver: -3.3 OBPM, -0.7 DBPM, -4.0 BPM. -0.8 VORP

Hunter turns 23 in a couple weeks. Culver turns 22 in mid February.

It’s really hard to judge rookies, and very few are positive players. That said, I expected better out of Hunter, especially with his age. He was one of the five worst players in basketball last year. Maybe he turns it around. At a minimum, at least Culver appears to not be awful on one side of the ball.

I had forgotten about the wingspan, and you said something very appealing to me - OG Anunoby. Hmmm ....
The Og comps is what has me intrigued as well? I've always stated before that I wasn't sure how interested Rosas was in Hunter going back to last draft...but now as we sit...think it really makes some sense...but I also feel him & Culver very much have similar ceilings.

Other way you could go...& much more of a Rosas home run type of swing is Culver & assets for Collins (lots of stuff coming out of Atl that he's the big that's out)? PR/negotiating ploy, maybe? Helps our rebounding & size @ the position....still needs to improve defensively but had the size & athleticism? Rosas would enjoy the salary cap gymnastics needed to figure out how to get his extension to fit next year...but that gives them a whole year to figure out?

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#1108 » by Jedzz » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:09 am

This seems crazy. Watch the January clip of him. That's insane for someone his size. Waived? Cut the new big and add this dude. Or ask Knicks to pick him up and sign him, then trade them Culver for him. Throw them a 2024 second or something for a bone.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#1109 » by Jedzz » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:17 am

old school 34 wrote:
shrink wrote:
jpatrick wrote:
Was he the better player? Every offensive statistic would say otherwise. Plus Hunter has the defensive versatility to play either forward spot, which is something we critically need. He’s a legit 6’8” with 7’2” wingspan. He’s similar physically to OG Anunoby.

I don’t know who will be better down the road, I think Culver has a higher upside while Hunter is a better fit.

It’s really hard to judge rookies, and very few are positive players. ....
The Og comps is what has me intrigued as well? I've always stated

Just move on from these guys is my thought. It's time for competing.
raise_21_up
Ballboy

Post#1110 » by raise_21_up » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:38 am

old school 34 wrote:
shrink wrote:
jpatrick wrote:

It’s really hard to judge rookies, and very few are positive players. That said, I expected better out of Hunter, especially with his age. He was one of the five worst players in basketball last year. Maybe he turns it around. At a minimum, at least Culver appears to not be awful on one side of the ball.

I had forgotten about the wingspan, and you said something very appealing to me - OG Anunoby. Hmmm ....
The Og comps is what has me intrigued as well? I've always stated before that I wasn't sure how interested Rosas was in Hunter going back to last draft...but now as we sit...think it really makes some sense...but I also feel him & Culver very much have similar ceilings.

Other way you could go...& much more of a Rosas home run type of swing is Culver & assets for Collins (lots of stuff coming out of Atl that he's the big that's out)? PR/negotiating ploy, maybe? Helps our rebounding & size @ the position....still needs to improve defensively but had the size & athleticism? Rosas would enjoy the salary cap gymnastics needed to figure out how to get his extension to fit next year...but that gives them a whole year to figure out?

John Collins is a guy that intrigues me as a 4 next to Kat. Christian Wood was the guy I wanted in free agency and thought we could've got him for the MLE but i was wrong there. My concern is what would it take to get him out of Atlanta. I'm fine giving up Culver but the + is what worries me. We're already missing our first and second this upcoming year, and I believe we've shipped out two seconds this offseason as well? What would you guys offer for Collins, or is he a definite no due to what he's expecting in his next contract?
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#1111 » by Jedzz » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:55 am

Collins is a walking injury. You can't go locking up your cap with that kind of risk. Too many good players out there to be had without that risk. WRONG GUY WUPS
raise_21_up
Ballboy

Post#1112 » by raise_21_up » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:15 am

Jedzz wrote:Collins is a walking injury. You can't go locking up your cap with that kind of risk. Too many good players out there to be had without that risk.

Did he miss any games last year due to injury? I know he had his suspension, but don't recall him being injured.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#1113 » by Jedzz » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:39 am

raise_21_up wrote:
Jedzz wrote:Collins is a walking injury. You can't go locking up your cap with that kind of risk. Too many good players out there to be had without that risk.

Did he miss any games last year due to injury? I know he had his suspension, but don't recall him being injured.

I was in a rush today and didn't read that right. My bad, was thinking of Isaac.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#1114 » by Jedzz » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:09 am

Would you trade Culver (former #6 pick) and Okogie (former #20 pick) to Knicks for #8 pick Obi Toppin, and would they?

My thoughts are they need guards. Not sure if they think so. But we have a Thibs connection for a call anyway.

Stephen A says they need guards.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,818

Post#1115 » by KGdaBom » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:14 am

raise_21_up wrote:
old school 34 wrote:
shrink wrote:

John Collins is a guy that intrigues me as a 4 next to Kat. Christian Wood was the guy I wanted in free agency and thought we could've got him for the MLE but i was wrong there. My concern is what would it take to get him out of Atlanta. I'm fine giving up Culver but the + is what worries me. We're already missing our first and second this upcoming year, and I believe we've shipped out two seconds this offseason as well? What would you guys offer for Collins, or is he a definite no due to what he's expecting in his next contract?

Collins is great. He's got two bargain years left IIRC and then will need to be paid a lot. IMO worth a lot.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#1116 » by KGdaBom » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:15 am

Jedzz wrote:Would you trade Culver (former #6 pick) and Okogie (former #20 pick) to Knicks for #8 pick Obi Toppin, and would they?

My thoughts are they need guards. Not sure if they think so. But we have a Thibs connection for a call anyway.

Stephen A says they need guards.

I would. We go all in on outscoring the opponent and forget about D. :o
raise_21_up
Ballboy

Post#1117 » by raise_21_up » Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:31 am

KGdaBom wrote:
raise_21_up wrote:
old school 34 wrote:The Og comps is what has me intrigued as well? I've always stated before that I wasn't sure how interested Rosas was in Hunter going back to last draft...but now as we sit...think it really makes some sense...but I also feel him & Culver very much have similar ceilings.

Collins is great. He's got two bargain years left IIRC and then will need to be paid a lot. IMO worth a lot.

This is his last year then he becomes an RFA. I'm wondering if they're planning on losing Collins with the signing of Gallo and drafting O.O. Clint Capela is also locked in there for a few more years. I just don't want our team to be the one to give Collins a max contract, if we trade for him and he resigns for say 4x80ish that would look good in my mind and we'd have our frontcourt locked up for awhile.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,192

Post#1118 » by Neeva » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:00 am

What team would honestly offer Collins a max contract? Besides the Knicks of course, they just drafted a pf to boot.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#1119 » by KGdaBom » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:11 am

Neeva wrote:What team would honestly offer Collins a max contract? Besides the Knicks of course, they just drafted a pf to boot.

I would guess about half the teams in the league would offer Collins a max contract if they could.
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,488

Post#1120 » by Wolveswin » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:38 pm

To continue the Hawks as trade partners, who have MPG problem with such a roster now (most recently with Brogdon signing)...

Edwards + Davis

FOR

Okongwu + Hunter

Have Hunter and Culver fight it out at SF. Hunter can get some small ball PF and Culver some guard minutes.

Towns | Okongwu | Reid
Okongwu | Hernangomez | Hunter
Culver or Hunter | Layman
Russell | Okogie | (Beasley works way back in)
Rubio | Russell | Culver

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves