ImageImageImage

Ricky Rubio

Moderators: Domejandro, Calinks, Worm Guts

Do you want Ricky Rubio Back?

Yes, he is and always will be a Wolf
73
86%
No, that ship has sailed a long time ago
12
14%
 
Total votes: 85

User avatar
Dual
Starter
Posts: 2,224
And1: 1,215
Joined: Jun 26, 2009
 

Re: Ricky Rubio 

Post#161 » by Dual » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:03 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
DaMplsKid wrote:
Heimdal wrote:I'm shocked at how many fans think Rubio is going to be a backup. Really? Do you envision Saunders not starting Rubio? IMO he, Russell and Towns are guaranteed starters. 2 forward spots up for grabs.


I am ok if he starts but I would do a rotation like Portland. Either Rubio or Dlo come out at the 5-6min mark the reenters at the end of the 1st early 2nd as the other sits. They can both start but I want Ricky running our back up when Kat/Dlo is off the court.

I also think Ricky will have the least ego coming off the bench. So if that is an issue he would have no problem run as a 6th man.


That’s probably the biggest thing. Either Rubio or Russell needs to always be out there. They’ll play together some, and it doesn’t matter if Rubio starts, but Rubio will essentially have to be Russell’s backup.

Our guards rotation is awesome tbh.
If somehow the rest of positions works out well, we can make some noise, no doubt.
Heimdal
Ballboy
Posts: 17
And1: 22
Joined: Jun 24, 2015
       

Re: Ricky Rubio 

Post#162 » by Heimdal » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:25 pm

mercgold3 wrote:
DaMplsKid wrote:
I am ok if he starts but I would do a rotation like Portland. Either Rubio or Dlo come out at the 5-6min mark the reenters at the end of the 1st early 2nd as the other sits. They can both start but I want Ricky running our back up when Kat/Dlo is off the court.


That was the rotation in Utah with Rubio.


Even moreso in Phoenix. This was the rotation (although in the bubble Cam Payne arrived and played so well that he earned minutes, which allowed them to rest at the same time for periods):

Start of the game Rubio + Booker
Min 6 Rubio out, Booker PG
Min 8 bench unit in with Booker
Min 12 Booker out, Rubio in. Rubio running with the bench
Min 16 Rubio out, Booker in at PG with the starters
Min 20 Rubio in, Rubio + Booker
Half

That's how Rubio averaged 8.8 assists and Booker 6.5
shrink
RealGM
Posts: 45,239
And1: 5,867
Joined: Sep 26, 2005

Re: Ricky Rubio 

Post#163 » by shrink » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:44 pm

Great Rubio videos. I watch them knowing a big pass is coming up, and still I can’t predict it half the time.

I hope this encourages MIN’s players to keep making cuts. I think Layman is going to be better than expected.

I am lower on Ayton after this - I think Rubio artificially boosts his stats.
RiRuHoops
Junior
Posts: 484
And1: 588
Joined: Sep 06, 2019
   

Re: Ricky Rubio 

Post#164 » by RiRuHoops » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:47 pm

Can Okogie cut to the hoop like Bridges?
KGdaBom
RealGM
Posts: 11,652
And1: 2,389
Joined: Jun 22, 2017
         

Re: Ricky Rubio 

Post#165 » by KGdaBom » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:48 pm

RiRuSuns wrote:Can Okogie cut to the hoop like Bridges?

I'm not sure. I bet Edwards can do it better. I love your screen name.
User avatar
PharmD
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,955
And1: 4,795
Joined: Aug 21, 2015
 

Re: Ricky Rubio 

Post#166 » by PharmD » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:48 pm

shrink wrote:Great Rubio videos. I watch them knowing a big pass is coming up, and still I can’t predict it half the time.

Yeah. It's super rare for a nice pass to go to someone unexpected but Ricky does it all the time.

I wonder if Okogie and Culver can play the Mikal Bridges role on offense. Stand in the corner, shoot if open, and if your man turns his head go baseline and Ricky will find you 100%.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 55,968
And1: 12,104
Joined: Jul 08, 2005
Contact:
   

Re: Ricky Rubio 

Post#167 » by Klomp » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:50 pm

RiRuSuns wrote:Can Okogie cut to the hoop like Bridges?

Most all of the Minnesota wings are smart cutters
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
RiRuHoops
Junior
Posts: 484
And1: 588
Joined: Sep 06, 2019
   

Re: Ricky Rubio 

Post#168 » by RiRuHoops » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:52 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
RiRuSuns wrote:Can Okogie cut to the hoop like Bridges?

I'm not sure. I bet Edwards can do it better. I love your screen name.

you can see how Bridges does in Rubio assist video on the previous page. Anyone can do it close to that level?
DaMplsKid
Sophomore
Posts: 174
And1: 53
Joined: Jun 24, 2017
       

Re: Ricky Rubio 

Post#169 » by DaMplsKid » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:52 pm

Heimdal wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:
DaMplsKid wrote:
I am ok if he starts but I would do a rotation like Portland. Either Rubio or Dlo come out at the 5-6min mark the reenters at the end of the 1st early 2nd as the other sits. They can both start but I want Ricky running our back up when Kat/Dlo is off the court.


That was the rotation in Utah with Rubio.


Even moreso in Phoenix. This was the rotation (although in the bubble Cam Payne arrived and played so well that he earned minutes, which allowed them to rest at the same time for periods):

Start of the game Rubio + Booker
Min 6 Rubio out, Booker PG
Min 8 bench unit in with Booker
Min 12 Booker out, Rubio in. Rubio running with the bench
Min 16 Rubio out, Booker in at PG with the starters
Min 20 Rubio in, Rubio + Booker
Half

That's how Rubio averaged 8.8 assists and Booker 6.5


My only thought for Ricky not starting is Beasley and Edwards both seem like SG and their rotation might work better with Beasley starting.
RiRuHoops
Junior
Posts: 484
And1: 588
Joined: Sep 06, 2019
   

Re: Ricky Rubio 

Post#170 » by RiRuHoops » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:55 pm

Is Minnie going to pay big bucks to problem child Beasley? Just because he hit some 3s?
KGdaBom
RealGM
Posts: 11,652
And1: 2,389
Joined: Jun 22, 2017
         

Re: Ricky Rubio 

Post#171 » by KGdaBom » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:55 pm

DaMplsKid wrote:
Heimdal wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:
That was the rotation in Utah with Rubio.


Even moreso in Phoenix. This was the rotation (although in the bubble Cam Payne arrived and played so well that he earned minutes, which allowed them to rest at the same time for periods):

Start of the game Rubio + Booker
Min 6 Rubio out, Booker PG
Min 8 bench unit in with Booker
Min 12 Booker out, Rubio in. Rubio running with the bench
Min 16 Rubio out, Booker in at PG with the starters
Min 20 Rubio in, Rubio + Booker
Half

That's how Rubio averaged 8.8 assists and Booker 6.5


My only thought for Ricky not starting is Beasley and Edwards both seem like SG and their rotation might work better with Beasley starting.

I've decided. Edwards getting the majority of his minutes at the SF. Beasley will get lots of SG minutes. He probably comes in when Rubio goes out and Russell moves to the point.
Heimdal
Ballboy
Posts: 17
And1: 22
Joined: Jun 24, 2015
       

Re: Ricky Rubio 

Post#172 » by Heimdal » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:59 pm

^^
Hoop Central
@TheHoopCentral

The Minnesota Timberwolves have made Malik Beasley available in trade talks, via
@VinceGoodwill

The New York Knicks are one of the teams interested.
KGdaBom
RealGM
Posts: 11,652
And1: 2,389
Joined: Jun 22, 2017
         

Re: Ricky Rubio 

Post#173 » by KGdaBom » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:03 pm

RiRuSuns wrote:Is Minnie going to pay big bucks to problem child Beasley? Just because he hit some 3s?

No. I would guess 8 Million max and maybe only 5 and there will be clauses.
User avatar
urinesane
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,371
And1: 2,250
Joined: May 10, 2010
 

Re: Ricky Rubio 

Post#174 » by urinesane » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:04 pm

Probably wise to move on now before the legal stuff really starts restricting things the Wolves can do with him.
Neeva
Analyst
Posts: 3,299
And1: 1,070
Joined: Jun 03, 2016

Re: Ricky Rubio 

Post#175 » by Neeva » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:06 pm

Heimdal wrote:^^
Hoop Central
@TheHoopCentral

The Minnesota Timberwolves have made Malik Beasley available in trade talks, via
@VinceGoodwill

The New York Knicks are one of the teams interested.


Knicks don’t have anything I would want except future picks.
DaMplsKid
Sophomore
Posts: 174
And1: 53
Joined: Jun 24, 2017
       

Re: Ricky Rubio 

Post#176 » by DaMplsKid » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:11 pm

Heimdal wrote:^^
Hoop Central
@TheHoopCentral

The Minnesota Timberwolves have made Malik Beasley available in trade talks, via
@VinceGoodwill

The New York Knicks are one of the teams interested.


Anytime I see a rumor with a NY team involved in I take it with a grain of salt. This guy could of saw we drafted a SG and so of course they have to be willing the trade the other one.

I really liked Beasley”s game. I know he has off the court issues but damn.
UnFadeable21
Rookie
Posts: 1,079
And1: 248
Joined: Mar 30, 2019

Re: Ricky Rubio 

Post#177 » by UnFadeable21 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:16 am










Man Ricky Rubio is still elite on both his passing, running the show, and defensive IQ

TOP 3 NBA PASSER NO DOUBT
theGreatRC
RealGM
Posts: 17,499
And1: 4,013
Joined: Oct 12, 2006
Location: California
 

Re: Ricky Rubio 

Post#178 » by theGreatRC » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:22 am

It actually made me feel so nostalgic seeing a Ricky Rubio thread on this board again....I'm happy, hope we can make the playoffs next year!!

I remember when Ricky dropped that triple double on the Jazz in his first playoff series, my jaw dropped
2020 Wolves will make the playoffs
theGreatRC
RealGM
Posts: 17,499
And1: 4,013
Joined: Oct 12, 2006
Location: California
 

Re: Ricky Rubio 

Post#179 » by theGreatRC » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:27 am

UnFadeable21 wrote:








Man Ricky Rubio is still elite on both his passing, running the show, and defensive IQ

TOP 3 NBA PASSER NO DOUBT


Interesting to me in that defensive highlight video is Ricky guarding the SG a lot..I'm assuming PHX made it clear he'd be taking the better matchup of the 2 guard spots and Booker takes the weaker guy...leads me to believe DLO & Ricky will be just fine in the back court, DLO and Booker are both 6'5...Ricky is 6'4 and strong...Edwards is apparently 6'6 230 even if Ricky comes off the bench, we have some big dudes at the guard spots
2020 Wolves will make the playoffs
User avatar
King Malta
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,948
And1: 1,166
Joined: Jun 24, 2013
Location: The Lottery
         

Re: Ricky Rubio 

Post#180 » by King Malta » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:34 am

Heimdal wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:
DaMplsKid wrote:
I am ok if he starts but I would do a rotation like Portland. Either Rubio or Dlo come out at the 5-6min mark the reenters at the end of the 1st early 2nd as the other sits. They can both start but I want Ricky running our back up when Kat/Dlo is off the court.


That was the rotation in Utah with Rubio.


Even moreso in Phoenix. This was the rotation (although in the bubble Cam Payne arrived and played so well that he earned minutes, which allowed them to rest at the same time for periods):

Start of the game Rubio + Booker
Min 6 Rubio out, Booker PG
Min 8 bench unit in with Booker
Min 12 Booker out, Rubio in. Rubio running with the bench
Min 16 Rubio out, Booker in at PG with the starters
Min 20 Rubio in, Rubio + Booker
Half

That's how Rubio averaged 8.8 assists and Booker 6.5


Something like this is probably what we'll see IMO.

They'll spend a bit of time on the court together, but there'll almost always be one of them out there to stabilise the offense.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves