ImageImageImage

Ricky Rubio

Moderators: Domejandro, Calinks, Worm Guts

Do you want Ricky Rubio Back?

Yes, he is and always will be a Wolf
73
86%
No, that ship has sailed a long time ago
12
14%
 
Total votes: 85

minimus
General Manager
Posts: 8,606
And1: 2,213
Joined: Jan 28, 2011
Location: Germany, Stuttgart area
 

Re: Ricky Rubio 

Post#201 » by minimus » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:03 pm

Hope to see today a twitter post from official Rubio or MIN accounts.
KGdaBom
RealGM
Posts: 11,652
And1: 2,389
Joined: Jun 22, 2017
         

Re: Ricky Rubio 

Post#202 » by KGdaBom » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:09 pm

TheZachAttack wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
TheZachAttack wrote:
The Wolves front office has already been quoted and released statements saying that is their intent and vision. Not as a primary position, but I think there is almost 100% chance that 2 years down the line Edwards is getting 10-12 minutes per game at the 4. What makes you think that a 6'6 player who is 240 pounds with a 6'10 wingspan can't play the 4 and wouldn't be a matchup nightmare at the 4? I don't understand how you can't see that and salivate at the idea.

Further, even if you personally don't like going small and preferring speed (especially when you have the type of frame that Edwards has to handle most modern NBA 4's)... how have you watched this front office during their tenure and reached a conclusion that this is not something that they would not want to try until it was proven it didn't work?

There could be almost nothing more closer to their MO than trying to play a player with Edwards frame, especially as he continues to fill out, playing the 4. In addition, there are dozens of players across the NBA with similar or even smaller frames to Edwards getting stretches as a small ball 4.

First of all you're inflating his size. he's 230. I don't like playing small. I don't consider it an advantage. We just need to find someone of the appropriate size and SKILL to play the PF.


I'm projecting into the future, please see my comment in the previous post about 2 years in the future. I think it's a virtual lock that a 19 year old continues to fill out. And then like I said, your are projecting your personal opinion on the situation, rather than trying to analyze what the front office will do. The front office doesn't care about your personal opinion and believes that within some reason better skill/ball-handling/speed is worth more than a couple of inches of height. You may not, but that's so completely irrelevant to any discussion about what the front office will or won't do.

I believe you put people with more height/size who are skilled at the PF spot. I don't assume just because somebody is shorter he has to be more skilled. If the team wants to play him that way they can. I'd rather take advantage of him being bigger and stronger at the SG/SF position.
TheZachAttack
Pro Prospect
Posts: 791
And1: 625
Joined: Jul 23, 2014
       

Re: Ricky Rubio 

Post#203 » by TheZachAttack » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:14 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
TheZachAttack wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:First of all you're inflating his size. he's 230. I don't like playing small. I don't consider it an advantage. We just need to find someone of the appropriate size and SKILL to play the PF.


I'm projecting into the future, please see my comment in the previous post about 2 years in the future. I think it's a virtual lock that a 19 year old continues to fill out. And then like I said, your are projecting your personal opinion on the situation, rather than trying to analyze what the front office will do. The front office doesn't care about your personal opinion and believes that within some reason better skill/ball-handling/speed is worth more than a couple of inches of height. You may not, but that's so completely irrelevant to any discussion about what the front office will or won't do.

I believe you put people with more height/size who are skilled at the PF spot. I don't assume just because somebody is shorter he has to be more skilled.


I'll stop after this because this a Rubio post and lol I mean sure man. Can you name me some gettable targets who aren't superstars who more athletic, skilled, and with the handle that Edwards has who are more than 240 pounds with a 6'10 wing span? I'm not sure there's a single NBA player who fits that description who isn't an allstar or borderline allstar or better.
KGdaBom
RealGM
Posts: 11,652
And1: 2,389
Joined: Jun 22, 2017
         

Re: Ricky Rubio 

Post#204 » by KGdaBom » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:17 pm

TheZachAttack wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
TheZachAttack wrote:
I'm projecting into the future, please see my comment in the previous post about 2 years in the future. I think it's a virtual lock that a 19 year old continues to fill out. And then like I said, your are projecting your personal opinion on the situation, rather than trying to analyze what the front office will do. The front office doesn't care about your personal opinion and believes that within some reason better skill/ball-handling/speed is worth more than a couple of inches of height. You may not, but that's so completely irrelevant to any discussion about what the front office will or won't do.

I believe you put people with more height/size who are skilled at the PF spot. I don't assume just because somebody is shorter he has to be more skilled.


I'll stop after this because this a Rubio post and lol I mean sure man. Can you name me some gettable targets who aren't superstars who more athletic, skilled, and with the handle that Edwards has who are more than 240 pounds with a 6'10 wing span? I'm not sure there's a single NBA player who fits that description who isn't an allstar or borderline allstar or better.

I expanded on my prior answer to you. I would like to have an all star/borderline all star at the position. That would be my preference. We can't always get what we want. However, I would rather have Edwards going against players he is bigger and stronger than at the SG/SF position. I don't want him going H2H with Giannis, LeBron, Okongwu.
mercgold3
General Manager
Posts: 8,745
And1: 2,821
Joined: Nov 21, 2013
   

Re: Ricky Rubio 

Post#205 » by mercgold3 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:29 pm

minimus wrote:Hope to see today a twitter post from official Rubio or MIN accounts.
For what?
Rubio alrealy posted something about coming back
minimus
General Manager
Posts: 8,606
And1: 2,213
Joined: Jan 28, 2011
Location: Germany, Stuttgart area
 

Re: Ricky Rubio 

Post#206 » by minimus » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:30 pm

mercgold3 wrote:
minimus wrote:Hope to see today a twitter post from official Rubio or MIN accounts.
For what?
Rubio alrealy posted something about coming back


No confirmation yet
mercgold3
General Manager
Posts: 8,745
And1: 2,821
Joined: Nov 21, 2013
   

Re: Ricky Rubio 

Post#207 » by mercgold3 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:34 pm

minimus wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:
minimus wrote:Hope to see today a twitter post from official Rubio or MIN accounts.
For what?
Rubio alrealy posted something about coming back


No confirmation yet
Neither of Oubre to GSW or Danny Green to Philly... we can't, we have to wait a month or so
Jedzz
General Manager
Posts: 9,067
And1: 1,976
Joined: Oct 05, 2018
   

Re: Ricky Rubio 

Post#208 » by Jedzz » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:41 pm

TheZachAttack wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
TheZachAttack wrote:
Edwards is going to be playing a lot of 3 and even 4.

I don't see 4, but I think his primary position will be the 3.


The Wolves front office has already been quoted and released statements saying that is their intent and vision. Not as a primary position, but I think there is almost 100% chance that 2 years down the line Edwards is getting 10-12 minutes per game at the 4. What makes you think that a 6'6 player who is 240 pounds with a 6'10 wingspan can't play the 4 and wouldn't be a matchup nightmare at the 4? I don't understand how you can't see that and salivate at the idea.


Don't understand why we wouldn't salivate at the idea?

You make some assumptions here.
A. That going under on size to create a mismatch is the holy grail. It's not.
B. That Edwards will remain as physically productive if getting to 240 pounds. That's not a given, it's not even a given yet that he's going to look physically gifted next to other physically gifted guards as NBA opponents yet.

What is the dysfunction with people surrounding this team? Why must so many, including the team itself, constantly take a player out of his best possible position and put him in a position that might be possible occasionally? What is this constant need? I'll tell you what I think. Because the team can't let go of past mistakes. Like ever. They can't dump them, they won't trade them...ggnnnnnoo we won't! (imagine the ground shaking a bit here) So, they have the drafted Culver at #6, The Okogie hard working defender former #20, and the traded for Beasley who is the teams best wing shooter. Now we have the #1 pick where the hyped top 3 are two guards. What to do??????

Talk about self fullfilling desires. Some talked all summer about sending the best shooting wing the team has to play from Bench so they could continue to start and give minutes to two struggling shooting guards in Okogie and Culver and also still had to find room for a new hyped guard from the draft. Never fear, like clockwork...Beasley has a mental and legal flop this fall. One door closes and another opens. Draft Edwards. But wait that's still one too many. Ok, fine Culver and Okogie can share the SF role some think. But wait, they brought in Rubio now! And we can't play Rubio off bench some say, oh NO!, because he was a former #5 overall. You just can't do it to him, you know! So Rubio starts, Dlo is pushed to 2guard, Culver/Okogie share SF, and that is how we get to the grand puba of plans to now play ANT EDWARDS as the Timberwolves PF ftw! Not only that, we should be salivating over it he says.

Three or four of the five we are going to push out of their best roles. That's the plan.
TheZachAttack
Pro Prospect
Posts: 791
And1: 625
Joined: Jul 23, 2014
       

Re: Ricky Rubio 

Post#209 » by TheZachAttack » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:42 pm

mercgold3 wrote:
minimus wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:For what?
Rubio alrealy posted something about coming back


No confirmation yet
Neither of Oubre to GSW or Danny Green to Philly... we can't, we have to wait a month or so


I listen to John Hollinger/Chad Ford and some of those guys who are really tapped into how transactions work because of their background. They said the deal will be official this weekend and can be announced then.
mercgold3
General Manager
Posts: 8,745
And1: 2,821
Joined: Nov 21, 2013
   

Re: Ricky Rubio 

Post#210 » by mercgold3 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:46 pm

TheZachAttack wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:
minimus wrote:
No confirmation yet
Neither of Oubre to GSW or Danny Green to Philly... we can't, we have to wait a month or so


I listen to John Hollinger/Chad Ford and some of those guys who are really tapped into how transactions work because of their background. They said the deal will be official this weekend and can be announced then.
Probably because of the short amount of time the NBA has compared to other seasons. But back to back trades of players take one month or so. That is why Paul to Phx, Dennis to Lakers were already official and Rubio, Green and Oubre not.
TheZachAttack
Pro Prospect
Posts: 791
And1: 625
Joined: Jul 23, 2014
       

Re: Ricky Rubio 

Post#211 » by TheZachAttack » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:51 pm

Jedzz wrote:
TheZachAttack wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:I don't see 4, but I think his primary position will be the 3.


The Wolves front office has already been quoted and released statements saying that is their intent and vision. Not as a primary position, but I think there is almost 100% chance that 2 years down the line Edwards is getting 10-12 minutes per game at the 4. What makes you think that a 6'6 player who is 240 pounds with a 6'10 wingspan can't play the 4 and wouldn't be a matchup nightmare at the 4? I don't understand how you can't see that and salivate at the idea.


Don't understand why we wouldn't salivate at the idea?

You make some assumptions here.
A. That going under on size to create a mismatch is the holy grail. It's not.

No I didn't, I said having a guy who is 230+ pounds with a 6'10 wingspan who has 90th+ percentile vertical leap 99th percentile speed for a guard (let a lone a big) as a weapon to play small ball 4 for stretches against certain matchups is a huge mismatch. Edwards, given his frame and length (let alone his athletiscm) is a mismatch lmao. The whole point is that given how long and sturdy his frame is, he's not that much smaller than the majority of 4's, but he's much more athletic.

There is literally nowhere I made the assertation that going under on size to create a mismatch is a holy grail.


B. That Edwards will remain as physically productive if getting to 240 pounds. That's not a given, it's not even a given yet that he's going to look physically gifted next to other physically gifted guards as NBA opponents yet.

There are very few players that test as athletically well as Edwards, let alone at that size. Your argument is like saying I know he's got a 160 IQ, but we have no proof that he's smarter than others who have an 120 IQ. Sure, it's possible his athleticism doesn't translate in a functional way... but I wouldn't bet against it at this point. Or at least betting against it is at this point equivalent to b**tching and moaning just to b**tch and moan.

What is the dysfunction with people surrounding this team? Why must so many, including the team itself, constantly take a player out of his best possible position and put him in a position that might be possible occasionally? What is this constant need? I'll tell you what I think. Because the team can't let go of past mistakes. Like ever. They can't dump them, they won't trade them...ggnnnnnoo we won't! (imagine the ground shaking a bit here) So, they have the drafted Culver at #6, The Okogie hard working defender former #20, and the traded for Beasley who is the teams best wing shooter. Now we have the #1 pick where the hyped top 3 are two guards. What to do??????

Hahahaha there is nothing controversial or worrisome about playing matchups to take advantage for a few minutes per game. It's literally a mismatch for Edwards against a lot of 4's. I would love to see Kevin Love try to guard Edwards on the perimeter lololol. That's what you're complaining about. No one is saying make that his primary position. You are literally yelling at a proverbial strawman that you've created for yourself.

Talk about self fullfilling desires. Some talked all summer about sending the best shooting wing the team has to play from Bench so they could continue to start and give minutes to two struggling shooting guards in Okogie and Culver and also still had to find room for a new hyped guard from the draft. Never fear, like clockwork...Beasley has a mental and legal flop this fall. One door closes and another opens. Draft Edwards. But wait that's still one too many. Ok, fine Culver and Okogie can share the SF role some think. But wait, they brought in Rubio now! And we can't play Rubio off bench some say, oh NO!, because he was a former #5 overall. You just can't do it to him, you know! So Rubio starts, Dlo is pushed to 2guard, Culver/Okogie share SF, and that is how we get to the grand puba of plans to now play ANT EDWARDS as the Timberwolves PF ftw! Not only that, we should be salivating over it he says.

Three or four of the five we are going to push out of their best roles. That's the plan.


Might as well have drafted 3 40% shooting PGs in this draft, added that to JMac and then brought in Rubio.
They could have a starting rotation of Rubio/PG/PG/PG/PG and have complete undersized mismatches on every team in the league, finally ball handle, playmake and shoot 3s like no one else and Rubio will lead it all to the greatest show on courts. I'm salivating for lunch right now.
TheZachAttack
Pro Prospect
Posts: 791
And1: 625
Joined: Jul 23, 2014
       

Re: Ricky Rubio 

Post#212 » by TheZachAttack » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:52 pm

mercgold3 wrote:
TheZachAttack wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:Neither of Oubre to GSW or Danny Green to Philly... we can't, we have to wait a month or so


I listen to John Hollinger/Chad Ford and some of those guys who are really tapped into how transactions work because of their background. They said the deal will be official this weekend and can be announced then.
Probably because of the short amount of time the NBA has compared to other seasons. But back to back trades of players take one month or so. That is why Paul to Phx, Dennis to Lakers were already official and Rubio, Green and Oubre not.


Exactly, but they've condensed everything a ton this year given the short offseason.
Jedzz
General Manager
Posts: 9,067
And1: 1,976
Joined: Oct 05, 2018
   

Re: Ricky Rubio 

Post#213 » by Jedzz » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:54 pm

TheZachAttack wrote:
I'll stop after this because
yeah maybe you should. We all should. But we never do.
TheZachAttack wrote:Can you name me some gettabl(1) targets who aren't(2) superstars who more athletic(3), skilled(4), and with-the-handle-that-Edwardss-has(5) who are more-(6)-than-240-pounds with a 6'10 wing span(7)? I'm not sure there's a single NBA player who fits that description who isn't an (8)allstar or borderline(9) allstar or better(10).



Just 9 or 10 stipulations there. No problem, mabe I'll get back to you later on this one, and maybe not.
KGdaBom
RealGM
Posts: 11,652
And1: 2,389
Joined: Jun 22, 2017
         

Re: Ricky Rubio 

Post#214 » by KGdaBom » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:06 pm

TheZachAttack wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
TheZachAttack wrote:
The Wolves front office has already been quoted and released statements saying that is their intent and vision. Not as a primary position, but I think there is almost 100% chance that 2 years down the line Edwards is getting 10-12 minutes per game at the 4. What makes you think that a 6'6 player who is 240 pounds with a 6'10 wingspan can't play the 4 and wouldn't be a matchup nightmare at the 4? I don't understand how you can't see that and salivate at the idea.


Don't understand why we wouldn't salivate at the idea?

You make some assumptions here.
A. That going under on size to create a mismatch is the holy grail. It's not.

No I didn't, I said having a guy who is 230+ pounds with a 6'10 wingspan who has 90th+ percentile vertical leap 99th percentile speed for a guard (let a lone a big) as a weapon to play small ball 4 for stretches against certain matchups is a huge mismatch. Edwards, given his frame and length (let alone his athletiscm) is a mismatch lmao. The whole point is that given how long and sturdy his frame is, he's not that much smaller than the majority of 4's, but he's much more athletic.

There is literally nowhere I made the assertation that going under on size to create a mismatch is a holy grail.


B. That Edwards will remain as physically productive if getting to 240 pounds. That's not a given, it's not even a given yet that he's going to look physically gifted next to other physically gifted guards as NBA opponents yet.

There are very few players that test as athletically well as Edwards, let alone at that size. Your argument is like saying I know he's got a 160 IQ, but we have no proof that he's smarter than others who have an 120 IQ. Sure, it's possible his athleticism doesn't translate in a functional way... but I wouldn't bet against it at this point. Or at least betting against it is at this point equivalent to b**tching and moaning just to b**tch and moan.

What is the dysfunction with people surrounding this team? Why must so many, including the team itself, constantly take a player out of his best possible position and put him in a position that might be possible occasionally? What is this constant need? I'll tell you what I think. Because the team can't let go of past mistakes. Like ever. They can't dump them, they won't trade them...ggnnnnnoo we won't! (imagine the ground shaking a bit here) So, they have the drafted Culver at #6, The Okogie hard working defender former #20, and the traded for Beasley who is the teams best wing shooter. Now we have the #1 pick where the hyped top 3 are two guards. What to do??????

Hahahaha there is nothing controversial or worrisome about playing matchups to take advantage for a few minutes per game. It's literally a mismatch for Edwards against a lot of 4's. I would love to see Kevin Love try to guard Edwards on the perimeter lololol. That's what you're complaining about. No one is saying make that his primary position. You are literally yelling at a proverbial strawman that you've created for yourself.

Talk about self fullfilling desires. Some talked all summer about sending the best shooting wing the team has to play from Bench so they could continue to start and give minutes to two struggling shooting guards in Okogie and Culver and also still had to find room for a new hyped guard from the draft. Never fear, like clockwork...Beasley has a mental and legal flop this fall. One door closes and another opens. Draft Edwards. But wait that's still one too many. Ok, fine Culver and Okogie can share the SF role some think. But wait, they brought in Rubio now! And we can't play Rubio off bench some say, oh NO!, because he was a former #5 overall. You just can't do it to him, you know! So Rubio starts, Dlo is pushed to 2guard, Culver/Okogie share SF, and that is how we get to the grand puba of plans to now play ANT EDWARDS as the Timberwolves PF ftw! Not only that, we should be salivating over it he says.

Three or four of the five we are going to push out of their best roles. That's the plan.


Might as well have drafted 3 40% shooting PGs in this draft, added that to JMac and then brought in Rubio.
They could have a starting rotation of Rubio/PG/PG/PG/PG and have complete undersized mismatches on every team in the league, finally ball handle, playmake and shoot 3s like no one else and Rubio will lead it all to the greatest show on courts. I'm salivating for lunch right now.

Based on his size and athleticism Edwards should be a mismatch against almost whoever he plays against. His natural position has been SG. We need an SF so much more and I think he can move up to that position pretty easily. I think calling him a PF is taking it one more step than is wise. You obviously disagree. If we do it I hope it works well for us.
Jedzz
General Manager
Posts: 9,067
And1: 1,976
Joined: Oct 05, 2018
   

Re: Ricky Rubio 

Post#215 » by Jedzz » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:15 pm

TheZachAttack wrote:
No I didn't, I said having a guy who is 230+ pounds with a 6'10 wingspan who has 90th+ percentile vertical leap 99th percentile speed for a guard (let a lone a big) as a weapon to...

Now Ant Edwards is a BIG. I see. I also think the number you've been floating now is 240 right?
TheZachAttack wrote:
There is literally nowhere I made the assertation that going under on size to create a mismatch is a holy grail.



Well of course, I guess you couldn't since you see Edwards as a BIG, so clearly now placing him at PF is where he belongs and yet now I don't know were mismatch even fits into the convo. Oh that's right he's a PF BIG playing with superman guard speed.

I can't wait for the NBA guard races when Kira Lewis or Jmac blows the doors off of "99th-percentile-speed-for-a-guard(BIG)-Edwards". I would check combine numbers in anticipation but, oh yes, Ant Edwards skipped them. He did have a pro day and something said about 99th percentile Accelerative force. I wonder how much that drops as the weight climbs. I'm sure he's quick. I'm sure there are faster. I'm really really sure I want him using his athletic size leverage to own his natural position most. I'm just playing man because I don't get it. After it all works out like you suggest you can rub my nose in it.
Jedzz
General Manager
Posts: 9,067
And1: 1,976
Joined: Oct 05, 2018
   

Re: Ricky Rubio 

Post#216 » by Jedzz » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:37 pm

Rubios passing / assists are amazing

TheZachAttack
Pro Prospect
Posts: 791
And1: 625
Joined: Jul 23, 2014
       

Re: Ricky Rubio 

Post#217 » by TheZachAttack » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:51 pm

Jedzz wrote:
TheZachAttack wrote:
No I didn't, I said having a guy who is 230+ pounds with a 6'10 wingspan who has 90th+ percentile vertical leap 99th percentile speed for a guard (let a lone a big) as a weapon to...

Now Ant Edwards is a BIG. I see. I also think the number you've been floating now is 240 right?
TheZachAttack wrote:
There is literally nowhere I made the assertation that going under on size to create a mismatch is a holy grail.



Well of course, I guess you couldn't since you see Edwards as a BIG, so clearly now placing him at PF is where he belongs and yet now I don't know were mismatch even fits into the convo. Oh that's right he's a PF BIG playing with superman guard speed.

I don't see Edwards as a big. I don't view the 4 being a big. I am a proponent of the ball-handler- wing - wing - wing - big offensively philosophy. I view Edwards as a big wing. Nor do I view Edwards as a starting 4. I view him as being someone who you could play small-ball 4 for stretches during games, especially to exploit slower 4's and especially against say weaker bench units. Edwards primary position is a 2 or a 3. However, because Edwards is 19 years old and 230 pounds with a 6'10 wingspan (which suggests he will likely continue to fill out because 90% of players weigh more at 22 than they did at 19... hence 240 pounds) that you can play him at the 4 when it is advantageous to do so and get even more shooting and spacing on the floor.

I can't wait for the NBA guard races when Kira Lewis or Jmac blows the doors off of "99th-percentile-speed-for-a-guard(BIG)-Edwards". I would check combine numbers in anticipation but, oh yes, Ant Edwards skipped them. He did have a pro day and something said about 99th percentile Accelerative force. I wonder how much that drops as the weight climbs. I'm sure he's quick. I'm sure there are faster. I'm really really sure I want him using his athletic size leverage to own his natural position most. I'm just playing man because I don't get it. After it all works out like you suggest you can rub my nose in it.


I am going off of the ringer article where they stated that Edwards, for shooting guards, tested (by the Wolves metrics) in the "89th percentile for vertical leap" and the "99th percentile for 3/4 court sprint" (again based on the Wolves own metrics). The article said that based on the Wolves testing he ran the fastest 3/4 court sprint that they themselves had ever timed. I don't presume to have a better idea than the Wolves front office's own data and conclusions.

I am sorry that you and KG are coming into this looking to argue one the smallest points ever and looking to extrapolate way more than what I am saying. It seems like you think that I am saying that Edwards should be a full-time 4 ala Covington and bang with players like Giannis, Lebron, etc. That is the furthest thing from what I am saying. However, it's just explicitly clear and not an opinion that Edwards is big enough and athletic enough to be a mismatch in a lot of situations for stretches at the 4's and what that will do to potentially open a Wolves offense with both D Lo, Beasley, and hopefully one day another shooter along with Edwards and Towns.
KGdaBom
RealGM
Posts: 11,652
And1: 2,389
Joined: Jun 22, 2017
         

Re: Ricky Rubio 

Post#218 » by KGdaBom » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:56 pm

TheZachAttack wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
TheZachAttack wrote:
No I didn't, I said having a guy who is 230+ pounds with a 6'10 wingspan who has 90th+ percentile vertical leap 99th percentile speed for a guard (let a lone a big) as a weapon to...

Now Ant Edwards is a BIG. I see. I also think the number you've been floating now is 240 right?
TheZachAttack wrote:
There is literally nowhere I made the assertation that going under on size to create a mismatch is a holy grail.



Well of course, I guess you couldn't since you see Edwards as a BIG, so clearly now placing him at PF is where he belongs and yet now I don't know were mismatch even fits into the convo. Oh that's right he's a PF BIG playing with superman guard speed.

I don't see Edwards as a big. I don't view the 4 being a big. I am a proponent of the ball-handler- wing - wing - wing - big offensively philosophy. I view Edwards as a big wing. Nor do I view Edwards as a starting 4. I view him as being someone who you could play small-ball 4 for stretches during games, especially to exploit slower 4's and especially against say weaker bench units. Edwards primary position is a 2 or a 3. However, because Edwards is 19 years old and 230 pounds with a 6'10 wingspan (which suggests he will likely continue to fill out because 90% of players weigh more at 22 than they did at 19... hence 240 pounds) that you can play him at the 4 when it is advantageous to do so and get even more shooting and spacing on the floor.

I can't wait for the NBA guard races when Kira Lewis or Jmac blows the doors off of "99th-percentile-speed-for-a-guard(BIG)-Edwards". I would check combine numbers in anticipation but, oh yes, Ant Edwards skipped them. He did have a pro day and something said about 99th percentile Accelerative force. I wonder how much that drops as the weight climbs. I'm sure he's quick. I'm sure there are faster. I'm really really sure I want him using his athletic size leverage to own his natural position most. I'm just playing man because I don't get it. After it all works out like you suggest you can rub my nose in it.


I am going off of the ringer article where they stated that Edwards, for shooting guards, tested (by the Wolves metrics) in the "89th percentile for vertical leap" and the "99th percentile for 3/4 court sprint" (again based on the Wolves own metrics). The article said that based on the Wolves testing he ran the fastest 3/4 court sprint that they themselves had ever timed. I don't presume to have a better idea than the Wolves front office's own data and conclusions.

I am sorry that you and KG are coming into this looking to argue one the smallest points ever and looking to extrapolate way more than what I am saying. It seems like you think that I am saying that Edwards should be a full-time 4 ala Covington and bang with players like Giannis, Lebron, etc. That is the furthest thing from what I am saying. However, it's just explicitly clear and not an opinion that Edwards is big enough and athletic enough to be a mismatch in a lot of situations for stretches at the 4's and what that will do to potentially open a Wolves offense with both D Lo, Beasley, and hopefully one day another shooter along with Edwards and Towns.

Jedzz and I each have our own separate opinions and we should not be lumped together. Have you actually read what I've been saying? I agree with you that Edwards is most likely going to cause a mismatch no matter where he plays. I just think PF is taking it a step too far. You don't. No big deal.
User avatar
urinesane
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,371
And1: 2,250
Joined: May 10, 2010
 

Re: Ricky Rubio 

Post#219 » by urinesane » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:42 pm

Take this Edwards argument crap to the Edwards thread or PMs.

This thread is about the Spanish Unicorn.
minimus
General Manager
Posts: 8,606
And1: 2,213
Joined: Jan 28, 2011
Location: Germany, Stuttgart area
 

Re: Ricky Rubio 

Post#220 » by minimus » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:41 pm

Read on Twitter


It is like he never left. The day Thibs traded Rubio was the saddest day of my life. Now Rosas brought him back.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves