No, that ship has sailed a long time ago
14%

Total votes: 85

moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Re: Ricky Rubio 

Post#81 » by moss_is_1 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:45 am

I missed Ricky so much. I think he has a lot he can add to the team as a vet.
Rookie-Mistake
Rookie
And1: 390

Post#82 » by Rookie-Mistake » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:47 am

What I would like to know, was this planned all along by Rosas?
urinesane wrote:Seriously though, I'm really excited at the potential of this and I think it's an amazing opportunity for everyone.

Rubio was a unique ray of sunshine during dark days for the franchise and it seems like an injustice being undone by Rosas for the fans, but not like KG coming back was. Ricky's best basketball is ahead of him and with KAT and DLo... this could be really fun to watch (especially if I'm wrong about Edwards).

What a weird swing (I wasn't super upset with the Edwards pick when I saw it, but wasn't thrilled), but when I saw that the Rubio trade was actually happening... well damn, that somehow made me legitimately hopeful for the Wolves again.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using RealGM mobile app
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#83 » by Jedzz » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:52 am

younggunsmn wrote:Small clarification on the trade: James Johnson cannot be included as salary until he officially exercises his player option (I think he has another day or 2).
That's why he couldnt be announced as part of the trade.
There are other avenues to make the salary work if he declines (highly unlikely), which would involve sending out culver + 3 o 4 others, or creating enough cap space which might include renouncing beasley+ juancho and the MLE.

This is interesting to hear. Going off how Gordon Harward needed a two day extension to wait until after the draft to make a decision on opting into his final year or not, I'm going to assume the Timberwolves gave Johnson the same extension if he hadn't done so already? Or did someone forget to remind him it was time to decide or someone didn't file the paperwork? Would actually really bite to find out today we don't have Rubio and they are now stuck with Poku. I know a couple people really liked Poku but I might boil over on all the players they passed up at 17.
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#84 » by urinesane » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:54 am

Is this OUR version of Lebron going back to Cleveland?

:)
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,388

Post#85 » by younggunsmn » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:54 am

Rookie-Mistake wrote:Very very interesting
... What do you think is most likely?
younggunsmn wrote:Small clarification on the trade: James Johnson cannot be included as salary until he officially exercises his player option (I think he has another day or 2).
There are other avenues to make the salary work if he declines (highly unlikely), which would involve sending out culver + 3 o 4 others, or creating enough cap space which might include renouncing beasley+ juancho and the MLE.

95% sure Johnson opts in and is the salary going out. Just way too many moving parts otherwise.
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#86 » by King Malta » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:56 am

Rookie-Mistake wrote:What I would like to know, was this planned all along by Rosas?
urinesane wrote:Seriously though, I'm really excited at the potential of this and I think it's an amazing opportunity for everyone.

Rubio was a unique ray of sunshine during dark days for the franchise and it seems like an injustice being undone by Rosas for the fans, but not like KG coming back was. Ricky's best basketball is ahead of him and with KAT and DLo... this could be really fun to watch (especially if I'm wrong about Edwards).

What a weird swing (I wasn't super upset with the Edwards pick when I saw it, but wasn't thrilled), but when I saw that the Rubio trade was actually happening... well damn, that somehow made me legitimately hopeful for the Wolves again.

Apparently we were interested in him last year before he signed with Phoenix.

Obviously that was before we had DLo, but it feels like Rosas and Saunders have had an eye on bringing him back for a while
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant

Post#87 » by younggunsmn » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:58 am

Jedzz wrote:

This is interesting to hear. Going off how Gordon Harward needed a two day extension to wait until after the draft to make a decision on opting into his final year or not, I'm going to assume the Timberwolves gave Johnson the same extension if he hadn't done so already? Or did someone forget to remind him it was time to decide or someone didn't file the paperwork? Would actually really bite to find out today we don't have Rubio and they are now stuck with Poku. I know a couple people really liked Poku but I might boil over on all the players they passed up at 17.

I'm not an insider, or have all the details. But its the only thing that makes sense as to why no one is mentioning Johnson's name or any salary filler on our end. We could swing the draft pick aspect of the trade without Rubio/Johnson included.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#88 » by Jedzz » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:07 am

younggunsmn wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

I'm not an insider, or have all the details. But its the only thing that makes sense as to why no one is mentioning Johnson's name or any salary filler on our end. We could swing the draft pick aspect of the trade without Rubio/Johnson included.
I hope you are right. Maybe they just didn't want to make it public at that time that they were renouncing players or sending 3 or 4 others. But if we find out now later that they've botched bringing Rubio in and end up having only traded the 17 for a 25/28 it's going to be a negative talker.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#89 » by Jedzz » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:15 am

King Malta wrote:
Rookie-Mistake wrote:What I would like to know, was this planned all along by Rosas?

Apparently we were interested in him last year before he signed with Phoenix.

Obviously that was before we had DLo, but it feels like Rosas and Saunders have had an eye on bringing him back for a while

I don't know what held them up from doing so last year. I was miffed when I heard Suns got him. I didn't hear the Wolves were trying to get him at the time. At the time I knew it instantly made the Suns leapfrog the Wolves in the pecking order of the next season.

The fit with Dlo has me a bit concerned because I liked Dlo onball and how his threat to score looked so different for us leading into possessions. We'll see how that shakes out.
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#90 » by urinesane » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:15 am

Previously on Ricky Rubio...

Jedzz
RealGM

Post#91 » by Jedzz » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:17 am

Unfadeable is Rosas survey monkey. He puts up the poll to guage fan interest in a return. The poll goes well, the trade is made two days later.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant

Post#92 » by younggunsmn » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:25 am

Interesting that Rosas must have had this Rubio deal in his back pocket when deciding who to pick at 1.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,724

Post#93 » by minimus » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:04 am

urinesane wrote:
minimus wrote:I love Rubio, but this train left long ago

Yes...but what if the track... is a circle?

Oh, yeah! urinesane, I know you wanted Wiseman, but will stay here for Rubio? :wink:
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,827

Post#94 » by KGdaBom » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:16 am

UnFadeable21 wrote:
Baseline81 wrote:
UnFadeable21 wrote:UnFadeable21 the great prophet calls it again!!!

Remind us again, who did you call for the first overall pick? Post after post after post on Ball.

I wanted Ball but didn’t say the wolves would draft him

I said earlier today all signs point to Edwards

I highlighted and enlarged your virtual guarantee that we were drafting ball from the predictions thread.
DaMplsKid
Junior
And1: 106

Post#95 » by DaMplsKid » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:24 am

You could ask for a better guy to run the second unit we have. Edwards will learn so much from him and get so many easy buckets. the 4 man rotation at Guards looks very solid and level.

Dlo and Beasley starting both 20 PPG type of guy who can shoot. Then you bring in Rubio and Edwards off the bench for the second unit. These 4 gives you a lot of flexibility night after night. One of the biggest issues we have always had was bench scoring. Rubio should be able to help with that.

Dlo/Rubio/McLaughlin
Beasley/Edwards
Layman/Culver
Hernangomez/Vanderbilt/Spellman
Towns/ Reid

I would love to see us bring in a veteran big or SF to come off the bench to help the Rubio. Edwards, Culver line up. Or one that would start and move Hermangomez to the bench could work to.

A Guy like Rodney Hood, Rondae Hoolis-Jefferson, Markieff Morris, Jeff Green, Nerlens Noel, Willie Cauley Stein,
minimus
RealGM

Post#96 » by minimus » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:34 am

urinesane wrote:Previously on Ricky Rubio...

Back in 2016-17 between January and March MIN had a good series of games where we played competitive basketball lead by Rubio, LaVine went down, but we still fought until Bjelica injury happened. In 2016-17 we had KAT-Dieng-Wiggins-LaVine-Shabazz-Bjelica. With only one player LaVine could be considered a reliable 3pt shooter. In PHO and UTA Rubio had two non-shooting, slow-footed bigs Ayton and Gobert.

I wonder if current MIN roster is the best place for him? He would have multiple shooters/cutters around him: DLo-Edwards-Beasley(???)-Nowell(???)-Layman-Hernangomez-Towns-Reid
minimus
RealGM

Post#97 » by minimus » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:42 am

Imagine Edwards becoming Booker 2.0.
minimus
RealGM

Post#98 » by minimus » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:50 am

DaMplsKid wrote:You could ask for a better guy to run the second unit we have. Edwards will learn so much from him and get so many easy buckets. the 4 man rotation at Guards looks very solid and level.

Dlo and Beasley starting both 20 PPG type of guy who can shoot. Then you bring in Rubio and Edwards off the bench for the second unit. These 4 gives you a lot of flexibility night after night. One of the biggest issues we have always had was bench scoring. Rubio should be able to help with that.

Dlo/Rubio/McLaughlin
Beasley/Edwards
Layman/Culver
Hernangomez/Vanderbilt/Spellman
Towns/ Reid

I would love to see us bring in a veteran big or SF to come off the bench to help the Rubio. Edwards, Culver line up. Or one that would start and move Hermangomez to the bench could work to.

A Guy like Rodney Hood, Rondae Hoolis-Jefferson, Markieff Morris, Jeff Green, Nerlens Noel, Willie Cauley Stein,

Jae Crowder for MLE would fit ideally.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,827

Post#99 » by KGdaBom » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:55 am

minimus wrote:

Imagine Edwards becoming Booker 2.0.

Ricky was a huge part of turning the Suns around. He had a great season for them.
Dual
Veteran
And1: 1,494

Post#100 » by Dual » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:35 am

Read on Twitter

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves