Official Anthony Edwards Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Re: Official Anthony Edwards Thread 

Post#1381 » by Worm Guts » Thu Dec 9, 2021 1:28 pm

Zeitgeister wrote:Why are people comparing Wiggins and Edwards? Edwards started with basketball a bit late, Wiggins father was a pro NBA player, he was around it his entire life. Edwards is already grabbing nearly 2 more rebounds per game than Wiggins career average even though he's shorter than Wiggins. 1.6 spg, Wiggins hovers around 1 for his career, Edwards is also matching Wiggins BPG this season, even though he's smaller. Edwards is a flat out better athlete, better motor, Edwards has a positive BPM, Wiggins has never had a positive BPM in his career. Not saying these metrics are everything but I'm more highlighting an important difference in how these two use their athletic gifts. Edwards is still raw but you can see that the potential is very high with this kid if he manages to polish some of these skills he's developing.

If you look at Edwards PER and TS, it's very comparable to Wiggins 2nd year. It's not a very deep analysis, but it is a means for comparison. One thing about Wiggins is that neither number improved with Minnesota after his 2nd year in the league. It would be awesome if Edwards could raise both numbers and end the comparison.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,948

Post#1382 » by Klomp » Thu Dec 9, 2021 1:44 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
Zeitgeister wrote:Why are people comparing Wiggins and Edwards? Edwards started with basketball a bit late, Wiggins father was a pro NBA player, he was around it his entire life. Edwards is already grabbing nearly 2 more rebounds per game than Wiggins career average even though he's shorter than Wiggins. 1.6 spg, Wiggins hovers around 1 for his career, Edwards is also matching Wiggins BPG this season, even though he's smaller. Edwards is a flat out better athlete, better motor, Edwards has a positive BPM, Wiggins has never had a positive BPM in his career. Not saying these metrics are everything but I'm more highlighting an important difference in how these two use their athletic gifts. Edwards is still raw but you can see that the potential is very high with this kid if he manages to polish some of these skills he's developing.

If you look at Edwards PER and TS, it's very comparable to Wiggins 2nd year. It's not a very deep analysis, but it is a means for comparison. One thing about Wiggins is that neither number improved with Minnesota after his 2nd year in the league. It would be awesome if Edwards could raise both numbers and end the comparison.

Bingo.

The first two years weren't the problem for Wiggins. The problem was the rest of his career. Part of what I think Wiggins struggled with is the lack of stability in the franchise those years. Coming out of Flip's death rocked a lot of people.

Right now, I'm hopeful we have some good stability in Finch (and Gupta?). That should make a difference as Edwards progresses in his career.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
m2002brian
Veteran
And1: 1,115

Post#1383 » by m2002brian » Thu Dec 9, 2021 3:34 pm

They need to move Towns and make Edwards the man.
Edwards defers too much to Karl. Karl can shoot, when he's not passing up open shots, but his IQ is low low low.
It would make much more sense for Ant and his development to make him the primary focus of the team and surround him with high iq players. Ant already shows a willingness to pass and involve others, something Wiggins struggled with for his entire time here.
This is what we did with KG when we had plays like Sam Mitchel, Terry Porter, Terrell Brandon, Wally, Tommy G, Anthony Peeler, etc. Vets with game still on the tread with some actual BBIQ.
We had Isaiah Rider (lets not compare him to Towns in character), got rid of his low IQ and gave the team to a guy who was willing to have it all on his shoulders.
Ant seems like that kinda guy.
BLUEGREENRED
TheAlanParsons
Junior
And1: 240

Post#1384 » by TheAlanParsons » Thu Dec 9, 2021 8:28 pm

Ant is absolutely right in his instincts.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,413

Post#1385 » by winforlose » Thu Dec 9, 2021 8:39 pm

m2002brian wrote:They need to move Towns and make Edwards the man.
Edwards defers too much to Karl. Karl can shoot, when he's not passing up open shots, but his IQ is low low low.
It would make much more sense for Ant and his development to make him the primary focus of the team and surround him with high iq players. Ant already shows a willingness to pass and involve others, something Wiggins struggled with for his entire time here.
This is what we did with KG when we had plays like Sam Mitchel, Terry Porter, Terrell Brandon, Wally, Tommy G, Anthony Peeler, etc. Vets with game still on the tread with some actual BBIQ.
We had Isaiah Rider (lets not compare him to Towns in character), got rid of his low IQ and gave the team to a guy who was willing to have it all on his shoulders.

Only works with a huge return on investment for KAT and we need to move Dlo as well.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,971

Post#1386 » by Domejandro » Thu Dec 9, 2021 10:23 pm

The idea that Anthony Edwards defers too much to Karl-Anthony Towns too much is honestly kind of a crazy take, to me. Towns doesn’t get nearly enough touches.
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 5,849

Post#1387 » by life_saver » Thu Dec 9, 2021 10:28 pm

I am bit surprised at how in the last few days, people (even on twitter) are making it out like KAT is the problem when he is the only consistent player on offense on this roster. KAT is flawed but it's not his fault that almost everyone else on the roster is unable to knock down their open shots. Infact, KAT is deferring more this season to give open looks for other players but the problem is that almost everyone on this team (except KAT) has sucked at shooting this year. I would like to see KAT take more shots but at the same time, I'd also like to see Ant move the ball more when he gets the touches
m2002brian
Veteran

Post#1388 » by m2002brian » Thu Dec 9, 2021 10:36 pm

life_saver wrote:I am bit surprised at how in the last few days, people (even on twitter) are making it out like KAT is the problem when he is the only consistent player on offense on this roster. KAT is flawed but it's not his fault that almost everyone else on the roster is unable to knock down their open shots. Infact, KAT is deferring more this season to give open looks for other players but the problem is that almost everyone on this team (except KAT) has sucked at shooting this year. I would like to see KAT take more shots but at the same time, I'd also like to see Ant move the ball more when he gets the touches

KAT may defer at times. But it’s as if there is a set play for him in the post, he is incapable of passing out. He so often gets the double and so often does not pass out to the open man. Watch last nights game for many examples of such.
BLUEGREENRED
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,825

Post#1389 » by KGdaBom » Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:54 pm

I wish there was a -1 button so I could counter the plus one. KAT is a better player than Ant. That is the reason Ant isn't the MAN. If and when Ant is better than KAT then he will be the man and he'll have KAT around to help. Trying to force the issue IMO is very unwise.
m2002brian
Veteran

Post#1390 » by m2002brian » Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:08 pm

KGdaBom wrote:

I wish there was a -1 button so I could counter the plus one. KAT is a better player than Ant. That is the reason Ant isn't the MAN. If and when Ant is better than KAT then he will be the man and he'll have KAT around to help. Trying to force the issue IMO is very unwise.

IMO your take is short sighted and lacks vision.
Secondly, KAT and his personally/attitude and game IQ/awareness are not conducive to winning.
This attitude and Awareness in your “top player” is why the rockets can win 7 in a row and we haven’t sniffed that in who knows how long. Honestly he comes off as a guy you wouldn’t want to play with.

The only playoff games KAT has played were when he Was not our “top player”.
Your lead player needs to be a hard nosed/ hard working / killer. 3 things KAT isn’t.
BLUEGREENRED
Zeitgeister
General Manager
And1: 5,850

Post#1391 » by Zeitgeister » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:28 pm

Worm Guts wrote:

I don't find it all that relevant. The box score is riddled with problems but I find that there are certain things that you can gleam from it if you look in the right places. PER is just a box score summary and as such is not that useful. For a box score aggregate, I've moved more towards BPM, which at least tries to replicate plus/minus and is an alternative at least until plus/minus stats become more available. Both still have their problems of course, but I feel like PER has especially fallen out of favor.

Edwards and Wiggins are not starting from the same place, one was around basketball all his life, the other wasn't, that's pretty relevant. Two great athletes, though Edwards is on at least another tier than Wiggins, but one of them seems ton use his athleticism a lot more, that's why I highlight stats that are often correlated with athletic tools.

While its true that both Edwards and Wiggins had/have mediocre TS% in their second season, they are not getting their points the same way. Wiggins was getting twice as many free throw attempts, Edwards is shooting a lot more threes, Wiggins shot a lot of long twos. Edwards is showing that he can be at least an average to above average three point shooter, assuming this continues of course, and what we know is that Wiggins free throw rate tanked in later seasons. I would say there's a decent chance that Edwards starts drawing more free throws in the future. At the bare minimum, if Edwards can continue to shoot reasonably well with the long ball, it's a weapon that fits on every team, we know that.
Lenin wrote: All over the world, wherever there are capitalists, freedom of the press means freedom to buy up newspapers, to buy writers, to bribe, buy and fake "public opinion" for the benefit of the bourgeoisie.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#1392 » by KGdaBom » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:45 pm

m2002brian wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

IMO your take is short sighted and lacks vision.
Secondly, KAT and his personally/attitude and game IQ/awareness are not conducive to winning.
This attitude and Awareness in your “top player” is why the rockets can win 7 in a row and we haven’t sniffed that in who knows how long. Honestly he comes off as a guy you wouldn’t want to play with.

The only playoff games KAT has played were when he Was not our “top player”.
Your lead player needs to be a hard nosed/ hard working / killer. 3 things KAT isn’t.

Edwards will be The MAN when he is The MAN and not before. You can't make it happen. He either is or he isn't. KAT is a very good player and worth every penny we pay him.
As you mentioned, Butler didn't need us to trade KAT for him to be The MAN. He just was.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,388

Post#1393 » by younggunsmn » Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:00 pm

Other than the plus athleticism and mediocre jump shot, Edwards and Wiggins are not at all similar.
They are 180 degrees apart when it comes to mental approach and things like defensive awareness.

Edwards awesome mental approach and ability to take to coaching (2 Giant question marks pre draft) are the things that have me so excited about his future. The shot is still very inconsistent. He has played a key part with his defense and rebounding in the low man scheme and that part of his game has been very encouraging for someone so young.

The major problem this team faces is that the book is out and every team know they can guard KAT with a small and use their big as a free safety/double team/2nd line of defense against a KAT drive. Its been a problem really since that Houston playoff series, and now teams are having success at it even with mediocre players. Replacing Vanderbilt with a shooter isnt going to change that, teams will gladly take that trade off.

It's up to KAT and Finch to figure it out. Part of its on KAT, going quicker, sealing earlier, cutting smarter, streamlining the exaggerated wind up in his movement. Part of its on Finch, utilizing schemes, picks, and movement to get KAT better angles and deeper position to exploit. Kat is a great shooter, but he's always been a really crappy roller. Having someone like Ant to play with who is such a rim threat, it would help both so much to have KAT as a legitimate roll threat.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#1394 » by KGdaBom » Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:22 pm

Ant 10-14 from three. Hopefully this is the start of improved efficiency from Ant. :D
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,650

Post#1395 » by shrink » Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:19 am

KGdaBom wrote:Ant 10-14 from three. Hopefully this is the start of improved efficiency from Ant. :D

Steph better appreciate his three point record while he still has it.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#1396 » by KGdaBom » Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:37 am

shrink wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Ant 10-14 from three. Hopefully this is the start of improved efficiency from Ant. :D

The extra point given to longer shots makes a mockery of the game. It's pathetic and started as an ABA gimmick.
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#1397 » by King Malta » Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:49 am

KGdaBom wrote:
shrink wrote:

The extra point given to longer shots makes a mockery of the game. It's pathetic and started as an ABA gimmick.

KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#1398 » by KGdaBom » Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:08 am

King Malta wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
shrink wrote:Steph better appreciate his three point record while he still has it.

Whatever you want to say. The three point shot is a joke and a blight upon basketball. Yes I know it's probably here to stay. Hopefully they move it back about 20 feet so only Curry will be shooting them.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,413

Post#1399 » by winforlose » Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:27 am

KGdaBom wrote:
King Malta wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:The extra point given to longer shots makes a mockery of the game. It's pathetic and started as an ABA gimmick.

Whatever you want to say. The three point shot is a joke and a blight upon basketball. Yes I know it's probably here to stay. Hopefully they move it back about 20 feet so only Curry will be shooting them.

I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand when you force everything inside you disadvantage short players and disincentivize jump shooting. On the other hand, money ball type people will turn the game into a 3 point shooting contest. Moving the line back won’t really help because some people will still practice and become proficient enough to game change. The only way to really fix the 3 is to eliminate the third free throw and perhaps even remove the and one. So in essence eliminate the four point play and remove the incentive to defend cautiously from beyond the arc. The downside is an increase in fouls on 3 point shooters, the upside is the 3 becomes physically dangerous for jump shooters and thus much less likely to be taken.
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,496

Post#1400 » by Wolveswin » Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:42 am

KGdaBom wrote:
shrink wrote:

You really won’t like the 4 point shot when adapted into NBA.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves