ImageImageImage

Official Anthony Edwards Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,621

Re: Official Anthony Edwards Thread 

Post#301 » by jpatrick » Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:12 pm

KGdaBom wrote:Ant started off the game very hot and I was surprised to see in the end he only shot 5-15. 3-8 from 3 was nice though. He showed ability that could lead to stardom also. Just have to put it all together.

His shot is going to be very streaky. Just like it was at UGA. I would be surprised if he shot better than low 30s from three this year. Making that more consistent is going to be the key to him becoming an efficient scorer down the road.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,867

Post#302 » by KGdaBom » Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:19 pm

jpatrick wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Ant started off the game very hot and I was surprised to see in the end he only shot 5-15. 3-8 from 3 was nice though. He showed ability that could lead to stardom also. Just have to put it all together.

His shot is going to be very streaky. Just like it was at UGA. I would be surprised if he shot better than low 30s from three this year. Making that more consistent is going to be the key to him becoming an efficient scorer down the road.

I'm good with 33% from 3 which is 50% from 2. Anything better is gravy. I see stardom. I really do. Real early. He could completely bust, but I'm believing.
Norseman79
Sixth Man
And1: 561

Post#303 » by Norseman79 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:19 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
jpatrick wrote:

I'm good with 33% from 3 which is 50% from 2. Anything better is gravy. I see stardom. I really do. Real early. He could completely bust, but I'm believing.

Assuming he continues the mindset he showed in game 3 even when playing with Kat and Dlo
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#304 » by KGdaBom » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:42 pm

Norseman79 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
jpatrick wrote:

Assuming he continues the mindset he showed in game 3 even when playing with Kat and Dlo

he shows signs of greatness, but so did JR Rider. His physical gifts and game are both very similar to JR. JR had a better post up attack the basket though. Time will tell.
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#305 » by urinesane » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:56 pm

The progression I like (and that is vital for him to succeed) is in the first two games things were out of sorts, so he tried to play hero ball. Nothing happening and he has the ball on the outside? Take a contested 3, which is bad habits left over from college.

You could see a few moments in the third game where in the first two he would have just taken a contested jumper, but instead moved the ball. The key to him being successful, is for him to buy into the ball movement and not take just settle for a low percentage shot. I enjoyed that his shot was on point to begin the game, but as he lost it a bit, he started driving to the basket. Made some nice decisions and didn't seem out of control (or bull in a china shop).

Still a long ways to go, but he's 19, so I'm happy with the progress he's shown in the preseason already. Just needs to stay disciplined and not try to do too much (which will be a natural reaction when things aren't going well).
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,109

Post#306 » by Klomp » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:12 pm

Fans need to remember that he's not Andrew Wiggins. He's not JR Rider. He's not Zach LaVine. He's not Shabazz Muhammad. He's not Anthony Bennett. It's so easy to predetermine careers as fans, but I feel it can do them a disservice.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#307 » by Jedzz » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:15 pm

Klomp wrote:Fans need to remember that he's not Andrew Wiggins. He's not JR Rider. He's not Zach LaVine. He's not Shabazz Muhammad. He's not Anthony Bennett. It's so easy to predetermine careers as fans, but I feel it can do them a disservice.
Like predetermining a short PG or Gleague player as worthless? I agree.

Imagine how far the Heat would have made it last season in the playoffs without Duncan Robinson. He could be bagging groceries on the side of a Gleague deal if Minnesota would have been the team that brought the undrafted kid in.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#308 » by Klomp » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:19 pm

Jedzz wrote:
Klomp wrote:Fans need to remember that he's not Andrew Wiggins. He's not JR Rider. He's not Zach LaVine. He's not Shabazz Muhammad. He's not Anthony Bennett. It's so easy to predetermine careers as fans, but I feel it can do them a disservice.

I've never called JMac worthless
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Jedzz
RealGM

Post#309 » by Jedzz » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:22 pm

Klomp wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

I've never called JMac worthless

I never said you did.
MN7725
Veteran
And1: 1,080

Post#310 » by MN7725 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:57 pm

It was impressive how Luka couldn't really move Edwards when he put his shoulder into him the few times they were matched up, Luka can usually get good separation by doing that
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#311 » by KGdaBom » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:52 pm

Of course he's not those guys. However, so many people try to compare him to Wiggins. I just wanted to point out that he is much more similar skill wise to Rider. If he's Rider with a better head he's going to be something.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#312 » by KGdaBom » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:54 pm

MN7725 wrote:It was impressive how Luka couldn't really move Edwards when he put his shoulder into him the few times they were matched up, Luka can usually get good separation by doing that

He shouldn't be allowed to do that. It really pisses me off to see him do that and get away with it. Why doesn't Kat get that treatment. Why was Edwards called for a totally bogus charging call in the second preseason game.
Norseman79
Sixth Man
And1: 561

Post#313 » by Norseman79 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:25 am

KGdaBom wrote:
Norseman79 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:I'm good with 33% from 3 which is 50% from 2. Anything better is gravy. I see stardom. I really do. Real early. He could completely bust, but I'm believing.

he shows signs of greatness, but so did JR Rider. His physical gifts and game are both very similar to JR. JR had a better post up attack the basket though. Time will tell.

Rider also had a good handle, I think Edwards will get there. Edwards seems a better defender. Rider could have gone down as the 2nd best Twolf of all time, waste of talent. He, Marbury and KG could have dominated after Jordan left. Rider definitely seemed to use his athleticism in game more than we have seen Edwards so far, hoping that will come out more.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#314 » by Jedzz » Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:05 am

KGdaBom wrote:
MN7725 wrote:It was impressive how Luka couldn't really move Edwards when he put his shoulder into him the few times they were matched up, Luka can usually get good separation by doing that

He shouldn't be allowed to do that. It really pisses me off to see him do that and get away with it. Why doesn't Kat get that treatment. Why was Edwards called for a totally bogus charging call in the second preseason game.

The ref wasn't impressed that Edwards once again chose not to go Up. Need to earn the refs respect first.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#315 » by KGdaBom » Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:21 am

Norseman79 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Norseman79 wrote:

Rider also had a good handle, I think Edwards will get there. Edwards seems a better defender. Rider could have gone down as the 2nd best Twolf of all time, waste of talent. He, Marbury and KG could have dominated after Jordan left. Rider definitely seemed to use his athleticism in game more than we have seen Edwards so far, hoping that will come out more.

Rider was a beast around the basket. He could totally post up almost any defender who was guarding him.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Post#316 » by Dewey » Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:36 am

KGdaBom wrote:
Norseman79 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:he shows signs of greatness, but so did JR Rider. His physical gifts and game are both very similar to JR. JR had a better post up attack the basket though. Time will tell.

Rider was a beast around the basket. He could totally post up almost any defender who was guarding him.

I wish any one of our wings could post up like that ... rare these days aka 3-point priority
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#317 » by Klomp » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:08 pm

Perhaps we’ve undersold Edwards as a creator; even with little talent around him in college Edwards put up an assist rate of 17.9 percent. Continuing the comparison with Wiggins, the former Jayhawk had an assist rate of only 9.2 percent in his only year of collegiate ball.

https://dunkingwithwolves.com/2020/12/21/minnesota-timberwolves-optimism-anthony-edwards-playmaker/

Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#318 » by Krapinsky » Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:07 am

I'm more optimistic with Edwards now than we drafted him. He has all the potential in the world.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,888

Post#319 » by theGreatRC » Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:32 am

The fact that no "expert" picked Ant to win ROY, people expecting him to bust and overall just no hype about him, makes me invested more than ever in him to become great..i'm rooting for Ant Man big time..

I haven't wanted any other player to be this great since we drafted Ricky, hopefully he can shock the world (in a good way)
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#320 » by King Malta » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:51 am

Krapinsky wrote:I'm more optimistic with Edwards now than we drafted him. He has all the potential in the world.

Same here.

I expected a laid back "what will be, will be" kind of character based on the Wiggins comparisons, but he seems to be a really keyed in kid who's hungry and willing to learn.

His defensive potential in the 3 pre-season games is considerably better than anything we saw at the same age from either Andrew or Zach, too.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves