Official Anthony Edwards Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Re: Official Anthony Edwards Thread 

Post#481 » by Jedzz » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:02 pm

Foye wrote:
I firmly believe that basketball iq is the skill that can be taught the least. Either you already have that skill when you enter the league or the best you can hope for is becoming average in that aspect of the game.

I would somewhat agree with you if takling about the highest player expectations. A top pick could be argued is that situation. But there are examples of players that just aren't prepared to show you what their game IQ can be right away for other reasons that are yet holding them back in the initial transition. Sometimes they take off year 2/3.

I can see some only needing to reach average game IQ becaue their other traits can be such high level that reaching average gameIQ is enough. I see Okogie in his third year being much more aware of everything, anticipating and playing with others better. Is he simply learning and getting up to average? I think so, and it's making him more effective in the role they are asking of him right now. There looks to be better decisiosn from him on the offensive end too, although he appears to be focused heavily on defense right now.

Edwards could just get to average well rounded in knowing all that is going on and he might take off big. He didn't seem to have anyone demand he learns off ball in college. What will he be like once he understands better? Because once he does, not only will he know how to play off, but when he's onball he'll better understand where his teammates will be or where to direct them to. His confidence will be like a freight train if that happens.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,933

Post#482 » by Klomp » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:09 pm

Jedzz wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:You realize I'm not in the moonshoot camp, right?

That's not why I brought it up, whether you are or not. That's just what this team typically does, hunt moonshots. Someone like Klomp who you quoted, agreed with, and admitted some previous sarcasm to, is a regular supporter of whatever the team does and is good at excusing their flawed choices. As far as I can tell he was saying it's not easy to find high quality role players and then something odd about having to also develop those. I just see that as more excuses for not targeting this type of player. But I could have misunderstood his or your post.

Players already exhibiting solid game IQ and high level shooting consistency in college or where ever are likely going to take much less development to be usable. They may still need to develop their bodies and age up a bit yet. They may still need handles work, defense, or whatever individual thing yet. But being aware of themselves and others on the court with game IQ and being reliable for shots makes them instantly usable as positive additions to the court, and not just someone you have to dump minutes upon for development and try to cover for their negative impact.

Part of finding role players has to do with having a clear, concise vision of your personnel and systems. Possibly the best role player added in the past decade was Josh Okogie. That's an example of the POBO having a good understanding of what the head coach needed in his system.

I know you don't get caught up in upside and potential, but when teams select near the top of the draft, there is pressure to draft guys with the greatest potential and not drafting role players who may have a higher floor. Right or wrong, that's what happens.

You look at many drafts, and the "role players" who produce early seem to end up later in drafts on better teams. Why is that? Are they better at evaluating talent? Better at developing talent? Is it less pressure for a rookie to come into a winning program to fit into a role? So many possible explanations, I think it's a little bit of everything.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#483 » by Jedzz » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:15 pm

TheZachAttack wrote:
I did a big long analysis awhile back, I can't remember if it was here or reddit. However, essentially our top scorer (Towns) and our big 3 (D Lo/Towns/Beasey) is or was more efficient than the Mavs/Houston big 3 (Harden/Luka and then Gordon/Westbrook and Hardaway/Porzingis)... the biggest difference from us being them was the efficiency of our role players. Houston's like 5-6 players playing around them averaged 38+% 3 point shooting and Dallas was over 40%. The Wolves role players were struggling to be above 30% from 3.

I look at even our late round decisions this draft. I like the McDaniels choice as an option. I didn't know others were high on him since high school recruiting or who he was until seeing clips of him this summer.

But I was looking at someone like Tillman for our #33 pick or any other picks Rosas might aquire. Not for some expectation that he might destroy this league, but because the guy is grown up with size and has basketball awareness and skills. Something the team could start using right away.

Rosas after the Rubio trade and other moves had a few picks in that later 20s to 33 range. Since we didn't draft a SF or PF of any size note with the early picks, I think it would have been wise to add him instead of say Bolmero. Tillman has played for Grizz already and did so this past game. He made it really hard for Wolves bench players in this game because he doesn't play like a bumbling idiot rookie. I only noticed him make one mistake anyway. When was the last time we could say that about a game from one of our rookies? They also have Bane who's only noticeable negative so far appears to be how often he fouls. We currently have guys with confidence issues running up against these two who simply seem to have more gameIQ and more confidence early on.
AbeVigodaLive
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,399

Post#484 » by AbeVigodaLive » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:24 pm

Klomp wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

That's not why I brought it up, whether you are or not. That's just what this team typically does, hunt moonshots. Someone like Klomp who you quoted, agreed with, and admitted some previous sarcasm to, is a regular supporter of whatever the team does and is good at excusing their flawed choices. As far as I can tell he was saying it's not easy to find high quality role players and then something odd about having to also develop those. I just see that as more excuses for not targeting this type of player. But I could have misunderstood his or your post.

Players already exhibiting solid game IQ and high level shooting consistency in college or where ever are likely going to take much less development to be usable. They may still need to develop their bodies and age up a bit yet. They may still need handles work, defense, or whatever individual thing yet. But being aware of themselves and others on the court with game IQ and being reliable for shots makes them instantly usable as positive additions to the court, and not just someone you have to dump minutes upon for development and try to cover for their negative impact.

Part of finding role players has to do with having a clear, concise vision of your personnel and systems. Possibly the best role player added in the past decade was Josh Okogie. That's an example of the POBO having a good understanding of what the head coach needed in his system.

Nothing against Okogie... but that screams why the Wolves have sucked so much for the past decade.

[Note: And let's not forget... part of this discussion was in talking about a guy like Haliburton as a "role" player. I hope we're not putting Haliburton anywhere near the Josh Okogies of the world.]
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#485 » by Jedzz » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:55 pm

Klomp wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

I know you don't get caught up in upside and potential, but when teams select near the top of the draft, there is pressure to draft guys with the greatest potential and not drafting role players who may have a higher floor. Right or wrong, that's what happens.

You look at many drafts, and the "role players" who produce early seem to end up later in drafts on better teams. Why is that? Are they better at evaluating talent? Better at developing talent? Is it less pressure for a rookie to come into a winning program to fit into a role? So many possible explanations, I think it's a little bit of everything.

Sure it might be a little bit of everything. But I thnk one real impactful answer was already in your post. You said it. For whatever reason teams feel that pressure to select "greatest potential" and not draft "role players" as they are perceived by who exactly? I tagged many with this question during our long break leading up to this draft. As you said, I don't get caught up with discussions about upside and potential because I typically don't agree with most on who is being claimed to actually have the most potential and upside. I don't see the limitations some project on certain players because there are too many unathletic looking scrawny former mid round draft choice, or players outside hyped top 3s that have turned into stars. When the annual examples are there and the better teams drafting later keep building teams of these players, when do people start to recognize this and stop this silly limiting of a team with the top pick to 3 players mass agreed upon? Especially when those top 3 aren't required to have proven a consistent shot ability or gameIQ. If you ask me you can better your chances by requiring those two things already.

More heads are better than one, usually. Until it becomes noise or bad information starts getting hyped as facts by the masses. "Haliburton's shooting motion can't tranlate". End of story - he's out. A player's lateral motion is limited - he's out. We are talking about one singular critical thought/guess on a player and players get completely ruled out of chances to be top 3, top5 top10. Meanwhile, we drafted a player with plenty of his own issues. Plenty. Ball and Wiseman had their own. Meanwhile Haliburton had the one thing to rule him out and they were wrong about that one thing. (two-as I've been told college usage also recently). Well he's someone elses early producing rookie who's only going to get better. Not ours. What's his upside? Who's to say?
D1SGRUNTL3D
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,080

Official Anthony Edwards Thread 

Post#486 » by D1SGRUNTL3D » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:56 pm

Well guys...he’s 19 and can’t legally drink for another year a half. He probably should be in college this year.

If he’s 22-23 and not showing consistency, then we begin to worry.

This season is now a crap shoot, so gotta let him develop and learn. He doesn’t do that if this team doesnt suck and he’s struggling for minutes behind Beasley and okogie
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#487 » by Jedzz » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:02 pm

D1SGRUNTL3D wrote:Well guys...he’s 19 and can’t legally drink for another year a half. He probably should be in college this year.

This season is now a crap shoot, so gotta let him develop and learn. He doesn’t do that if this team doesnt suck and he’s struggling for minutes behind Beasley and okogie

Yes he can do that without starting and playing 25-30 minutes. I believe facts are he needs to watch players for a while more instead of just play. He needs to see players in his position doing things he's never done. Hopefully we have good examples for him to follow and not bad ones.

As Edwards has said, he's always been able to do something. But not knowing what to do will stop him from doing it. Let him learn what those things are first and use his bench minutes to focus on each one with time. Like you said, he's got years to figure this out.
AbeVigodaLive
Assistant Coach

Post#488 » by AbeVigodaLive » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:06 pm

D1SGRUNTL3D wrote:Well guys...he’s 19 and can’t legally drink for another year a half. He probably should be in college this year.

To be fair, I think the discussion has transcended beyond Anthony Edwards specifically... and more about how the Timberwolves (and posters) label and pigeon-hole certain young players.

Sure, Brandon Clarke was highly efficient and showed he knew how to play basketball... but he has a short wingspan. Sorry. No dice.
Sure, Haliburton was highly efficient and showed he knew how to play basketball... but his shot looks funny. Sorry. No dice.

Insert Player (A, B or C) who were highly inefficient to this point but they're uber-athletic and could potentially/possibly/maybe be super duper good. Yep. We'll take that chance.

There are simply two ways to go about adding young players. Personally, I think it's a mix. And personally, I think the Wolves have erred (tragically) on the latter over the former recently. Only time will tell. And as Wolves fans waiting for an elusive playoff berth, we know all about patience and time.
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,764

Post#489 » by Slim Tubby » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:14 pm

When I watch Anthony Edwards play, I simply don't see a "basketball player". I see a guy with an athletic build that doesn't even know how to use his physical prowess to his advantage. Maybe that will change as he matures...I don't know. Why anyone would be surprised at this is simply beyond me. This is who he was at Georgia and this is who he is today in the NBA. Every day he laces up his sneakers, his trade value dips even further.

He seems like a really good kid so I want him to succeed but he is showing signs (it's VERY early) of being another disastrous draft pick by this franchise when you factor in where he was selected #1 Overall. The good news is he's only 19 years old and there's plenty of time to improve his game...but I'm not betting a dime on that happening for sure.
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Post#490 » by jpatrick » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:20 pm

Slim Tubby wrote:When I watch Anthony Edwards play, I simply don't see a "basketball player". I see a guy with an athletic build that doesn't even know how to use his physical prowess to his advantage. Maybe that will change as he matures...I don't know. Why anyone would be surprised at this is simply beyond me. This is who he was at Georgia and this is who he is today in the NBA. Every day he laces up his sneakers, his trade value dips even further.

He seems like a really good kid so I want him to succeed but he is showing signs (it's VERY early) of being another disastrous draft pick by this franchise when you factor in where he was selected #1 Overall. The good news is he's only 19 years old and there's plenty of time to improve his game...but I'm not betting a dime on that happening for sure.

This is where I’m at too.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#491 » by Krapinsky » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:46 pm

Slim Tubby wrote:When I watch Anthony Edwards play, I simply don't see a "basketball player". I see a guy with an athletic build that doesn't even know how to use his physical prowess to his advantage. Maybe that will change as he matures...I don't know. Why anyone would be surprised at this is simply beyond me. This is who he was at Georgia and this is who he is today in the NBA. Every day he laces up his sneakers, his trade value dips even further.

The person he reminds me of is a young Zach Randolph. Zach didn't figure it out until his third year and I think that will be the case with Edwards. He's got too much talent to fail but he has a long way to go and mature. For better or worse, we're going to have to be patient and it won't be easy while Lamelo is dealing triple doubles riddled with sport center highlights for the next two years.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
WolfAddict
Rookie
And1: 1,544

Post#492 » by WolfAddict » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:08 am

Jedzz wrote:

Yes he can do that without starting and playing 25-30 minutes. I believe facts are he needs to watch players for a while more instead of just play. He needs to see players in his position doing things he's never done. Hopefully we have good examples for him to follow and not bad ones.

As Edwards has said, he's always been able to do something. But not knowing what to do will stop him from doing it. Let him learn what those things are first and use his bench minutes to focus on each one with time. Like you said, he's got years to figure this out.

100% this - Rookies do not need starting minutes to develop (it's probably actually the complete opposite).

The best way, in my opinion, to develop players is have them hone their skills from the bench. Watch and learn, then put that learning into practice with the second unit.
AbeVigodaLive
Assistant Coach

Post#493 » by AbeVigodaLive » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:10 am

Krapinsky wrote:

The person he reminds me of is a young Zach Randolph. Zach didn't figure it out until his third year and I think that will be the case with Edwards. He's got too much talent to fail but he has a long way to go and mature. For better or worse, we're going to have to be patient and it won't be easy while Lamelo is dealing triple doubles riddled with sport center highlights for the next two years.

1. Randolph was the #19 pick. Edwards was considered the VERY BEST player/prospect in his draft (by the Wolves).

2. Randolph joined a 50-win team. They won 49 games his rookie season. He averaged 6 minutes. Portland won 50 games his second season. Randolph averaged 17 mpg. He sat and learned behind seasoned vets, Dale Davis and Rasheed Wallace. When he finally got a lot of run in year #3... the team was significantly worse. And then they fell off a cliff (27 and 21 wins) with Randolph as the focal point of the team. The Blazers didn't reach .500 again until they traded Randolph.

3. The Wolves were 19 - 45 last season. They're 3 - 8 this season. Anthony Edwards is playing 25 mpg. He's already taken 33 more shots in his first 8 games than Zach Randolph took his entire rookie season.

4. They don't even play the same position.

5. Help me here. But I don't see any similarities between the players or the situations they're in.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#494 » by Krapinsky » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:39 am

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
Krapinsky wrote:

1. Randolph was the #19 pick. Edwards was considered the VERY BEST player/prospect in his draft (by the Wolves).

2. Randolph joined a 50-win team. They won 49 games his rookie season. He averaged 6 minutes. Portland won 50 games his second season. Randolph averaged 17 mpg. He sat and learned behind seasoned vets, Dale Davis and Rasheed Wallace. When he finally got a lot of run in year #3... the team was significantly worse. And then they fell off a cliff (27 and 21 wins) with Randolph as the focal point of the team. The Blazers didn't reach .500 again until they traded Randolph.

3. The Wolves were 19 - 45 last season. They're 3 - 8 this season. Anthony Edwards is playing 25 mpg. He's already taken 33 more shots in his first 8 games than Zach Randolph took his entire rookie season.

4. They don't even play the same position.

5. Help me here. But I don't see any similarities between the players or the situations they're in.

I think you're reading too much into this. I'm simply talking about the combination of the unique physical talent and the demeanor/maturity level of each player -- not each player's situation. I'm sure there are countless other players that would make for a more apt comparison, but Randolph it the one that sticks out to me. Zach was a goofy kid, into sponge bob if I recall, got into trouble, and needed to grow up and mature to become a dominant player. Although he shown no signs of being a trouble maker or anything like that, I see Edwards as having a similar timeline before he becomes a serious minded player. We all mature at different speeds, some faster than others. I did not have much in the way of discipline growing up and I matured at a later age than my peers, having to learn and grow from my own mistakes, and teach myself discipline. In the same way, some prospects are very buttoned up when they come into the league (Dwyane Wade, Bradley Beal, Jaylen Brown, and Victor Oladipo all come to mind) and are prepared to contribute right away. Others needs to mature, need to become more disciplined, and learn what it's like being a pro and having a full time job/career before they figure it out (Randolph and Chris Webber come to mind but I struggle to find an apt wing comparison--which probably isn't a good sign), if that is, they ever figure it out at all.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,385

Post#495 » by younggunsmn » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:20 am

Well Edwards is what he showed in college: an inefficient volume scorer who teases with athleticism and is extremely, extremely raw when it comes to playing team basketball.
I thought his worst case was Dion Waiters, but I may have to apologize to Dion Waiters, because at least he could shoot the basketball at a somewhat average level.

All the warning signs were there: that horrible workout ESPN televised where even a noob like me could tell his shot was broken.
He has a lot of work to do, because he has yet to show he belongs on an NBA floor.

I was a WIseman guy (and still believe he'll be the best player from this draft long term), and Lamelo has looked better than many thought he'd be.
But if we had drafted Lamelo, he'd be standing in the corner while D-Lo chucks his 19th's step back of the game.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#496 » by Jedzz » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:05 pm

younggunsmn wrote:I was a WIseman guy (and still believe he'll be the best player from this draft long term), and Lamelo has looked better than many thought he'd be.
But if we had drafted Lamelo, he'd be standing in the corner while D-Lo chucks his 19th's step back of the game.

Well that's the pickle isn't it? The team doesn't operate in a vacuum. They had prior moves made already, players in place already. Plans in motion. Because of the three players he felt compelled to pick from Rosas' real choices were to stick with improving that plan and trade out, or completely blow it up and go a different way. He ultimately chose to go neither route.

If they drafted Mello would they have not then traded for Rubio? Would that have even mattered? Even Rubio is displaced because of the prior moves. This is where all the draft value GM wannabees fail this team every year and feed into the hysteria of mistakes every year. None of these players would have improved this team for a couple years at least, and all of them would make the current team worse because the team would feel pressured to get them involved which being nonfits would make current players worse. We saw that issue snowballing in the first 10 games.

If it had to be anyone of the three, The Wiseman choice probably should have been it. It would have clashed with KAT some. They could have forced Wiseman and Kat to play together and maybe all our dreams come true for twin towers. Or maybe it ruins the value of both players like we see our PGs doing to each other. Or they could have played Wiseman from bench because he's the size of a center, not a typical scoring force position and it would have just displaced Reid or forced Reid into a PF role. Which I wouldn't have minded. Wiseman would have had to take a hit to his ego but I wasn't too concerned about that. Wiseman could always flash from the bench role and tease other teams for a value trade yet who knew we just didn't have room for him to start with Kat around. It would have helped against larger opponents which we knew was a problem already last season.

I believe the facts were that Rosas needed to trade down for whatever lowly offer he could find to do so, in order to not pick any of these questionmarks that either all looked like possible projects or complete nonfits. I 100% believe the team would have been better having not added a single player this offseason, or drafting a size/force/defensive stud for PF role, or simply drafting shooting/game IQ to improve that kind of depth on the team. Players that would fit, that ugly word again that so many armchair GMs will shoot me for. I wish it could have been a different three players hyped for this drafts top end. Then I could have went along with the normal draft foolishness. But seeing who was hyped the path I saw for this team was clear. Get out of that top end. They didn't. Rosas was too scared of looking like he lost value trading down or out. I think he had the perfect opportunity to trade that #1 for a 2021 FRP from whoever just so the team could know they have a pick next year. Fans would have seen that as at least him cleaning up the washout from moving Wiggins. Then he could have focused on better fits with the #17 and #33 picks with less pressure. I imagine he also could have gotten a pick in this draft from a team in the teens plus a frp next year, maybe could have moved one of our current rostered players to help make the trade happen and cleaned up our roster some. If only we had a better Pobo this offseason. Maybe if he was the same guy that was making plans last trade deadline and not who he had become after all the interviews leading up to the #1 choice. Clearly this all went to his head and he forgot what he was building here. He is after all a greenhorn Pobo.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,407

Post#497 » by winforlose » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:35 pm

Jedzz wrote:
younggunsmn wrote:I was a WIseman guy (and still believe he'll be the best player from this draft long term), and Lamelo has looked better than many thought he'd be.

Well that's the pickle isn't it? The team doesn't operate in a vacuum. They had prior moves made already, players in place already. Plans in motion. Because of the three players he felt compelled to pick from Rosas' real choices were to stick with improving that plan and trade out, or completely blow it up and go a different way. He ultimately chose to go neither route.

If they drafted Mello would they have not then traded for Rubio? Would that have even mattered? Even Rubio is displaced because of the prior moves. This is where all the draft value GM wannabees fail this team every year and feed into the hysteria of mistakes every year. None of these players would have improved this team for a couple years at least, and all of them would make the current team worse because the team would feel pressured to get them involved which being nonfits would make current players worse. We saw that issue snowballing in the first 10 games.

If it had to be anyone of the three, The Wiseman choice probably should have been it. It would have clashed with KAT some. They could have forced Wiseman and Kat to play together and maybe all our dreams come true for twin towers. Or maybe it ruins the value of both players like we see our PGs doing to each other. Or they could have played Wiseman from bench because he's the size of a center, not a typical scoring force position and it would have just displaced Reid or forced Reid into a PF role. Which I wouldn't have minded. Wiseman would have had to take a hit to his ego but I wasn't too concerned about that. Wiseman could always flash from the bench role and tease other teams for a value trade yet who knew we just didn't have room for him to start with Kat around. It would have helped against larger opponents which we knew was a problem already last season.

I believe the facts were that Rosas needed to trade down for whatever lowly offer he could find to do so, in order to not pick any of these questionmarks that either all looked like possible projects or complete nonfits. I 100% believe the team would have been better having not added a single player this offseason, or drafting a size/force/defensive stud for PF role, or simply drafting shooting/game IQ to improve that kind of depth on the team. Players that would fit, that ugly word again that so many armchair GMs will shoot me for. I wish it could have been a different three players hyped for this drafts top end. Then I could have went along with the normal draft foolishness. But seeing who was hyped the path I saw for this team was clear. Get out of that top end. They didn't. Rosas was too scared of looking like he lost value trading down or out. I think he had the perfect opportunity to trade that #1 for a 2021 FRP from whoever just so the team could know they have a pick next year. Fans would have seen that as at least him cleaning up the washout from moving Wiggins. Then he could have focused on better fits with the #17 and #33 picks with less pressure. I imagine he also could have gotten a pick in this draft from a team in the teens plus a frp next year, maybe could have moved one of our current rostered players to help make the trade happen and cleaned up our roster some. If only we had a better Pobo this offseason. Maybe if he was the same guy that was making plans last trade deadline and not who he had become after all the interviews leading up to the #1 choice. Clearly this all went to his head and he forgot what he was building here. He is after all a greenhorn Pobo.

Twin towers have won how many championships in NBA history. Vs how many small ball championships? Even in the modern NBA with the focus on distance shooting and pace, small ball still doesn’t get it done. Rebounding is still too important as is paint defense. The wolves don’t even have the proper personnel to execute small ball properly. I love Okogie but he is still 6’4 in shoes. He is not going to be able to guard true PFs. Wiseman would have been a good choice for PF and first backup to KAT at center. Instead, we had Ed Fu****** Davis standing around the 3 point line trying to fill in for KAT. Ed Davis who is famous for never having shot a 3 in his career. Ant may turn great at some point, but his fit is sh** right now. He displaced Culver or Nowell both of whom could use the consistent minutes to improve. Wiseman was and will always be the Rosas historical Fu***** like Roy for Foye or Flynn over Curry. We just are cursed to always get it wrong (KAT and KG are the only exceptions.)
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#498 » by Jedzz » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:20 pm

winforlose wrote:
Twin towers have won how many championships in NBA history. Vs how many small ball championships? Even in the modern NBA with the focus on distance shooting and pace, small ball still doesn’t get it done. Rebounding is still too important as is paint defense. The wolves don’t even have the proper personnel to execute small ball properly. I love Okogie but he is still 6’4 in shoes. He is not going to be able to guard true PFs. Wiseman would have been a good choice for PF and first backup to KAT at center. Instead, we had Ed Fu****** Davis standing around the 3 point line trying to fill in for KAT. Ed Davis who is famous for never having shot a 3 in his career. Ant may turn great at some point, but his fit is sh** right now. He displaced Culver or Nowell both of whom could use the consistent minutes to improve. Wiseman was and will always be the Rosas historical Fu***** like Roy for Foye or Flynn over Curry. We just are cursed to always get it wrong (KAT and KG are the only exceptions.)

Yes. I'd argue further that Edwards already this season has displaced Culver/Nowell/Okogie/Rubio/Dlo away from playing their best this season. It was a complete nonfit to draft him unless they were to instantly make a lot of trades to move guards out the same day. But they added another in Rubio same day. Like I said prior, Rosas didn't make a move towards one direction or the other with this choice. He had to get out of it, or go in a direction more deliberately, more completely, and he didn't.

I agree with your thoughts on Wiseman if one of the 3 had to be chosen. But again I think we had an option to take in none.

Rosas doesn't care about winning yet, no matter what he says to the public his moves say he doesn't. He'll probably unleash hell on this roster all over again come trade deadline or next offseason. To all the armchair GMs he will be their queen.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,933

Post#499 » by Klomp » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:31 pm

winforlose wrote:Twin towers have won how many championships in NBA history. Vs how many small ball championships? Even in the modern NBA with the focus on distance shooting and pace, small ball still doesn’t get it done. Rebounding is still too important as is paint defense. The wolves don’t even have the proper personnel to execute small ball properly.

If we don't have the proper personnel to fully execute it yet then HOW can you say it doesn't get it done here? The roster is still being built.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#500 » by Jedzz » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:58 pm

Klomp wrote:
winforlose wrote:Twin towers have won how many championships in NBA history. Vs how many small ball championships? Even in the modern NBA with the focus on distance shooting and pace, small ball still doesn’t get it done. Rebounding is still too important as is paint defense. The wolves don’t even have the proper personnel to execute small ball properly.

If we don't have the proper personnel to fully execute it yet then HOW can you say it doesn't get it done here? The roster is still being built.

Have you counted how many players Rosas has brought in and shipped out since arriving here? I haven't. Don't have that many fingers and toes. I can't wait till someone counts and posts the # so far.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves