ImageImageImage

How to fix the "bigs" problems now?

Moderators: Domejandro, Calinks, Worm Guts

wolves_89
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,553
And1: 2,059
Joined: Jul 10, 2012
 

Re: How to fix the 

Post#221 » by wolves_89 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:20 pm

At the moment our PF/C depth is Towns, Reid, Layman (who is more of a SF), Vanderbilt, Spellman, and McDaniels (who is nowhere close to NBA ready). That's really not a group that instills confidence with training camp 10 days away.
KGdaBom
RealGM
Posts: 11,652
And1: 2,389
Joined: Jun 22, 2017
         

Re: How to fix the 

Post#222 » by KGdaBom » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:24 pm

wolves_89 wrote:At the moment our PF/C depth is Towns, Reid, Layman (who is more of a SF), Vanderbilt, Spellman, and McDaniels (who is nowhere close to NBA ready). That's really not a group that instills confidence with training camp 10 days away.

We very much need to bring Juancho back.
wolves_89
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,553
And1: 2,059
Joined: Jul 10, 2012
 

Re: How to fix the 

Post#223 » by wolves_89 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:30 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
wolves_89 wrote:At the moment our PF/C depth is Towns, Reid, Layman (who is more of a SF), Vanderbilt, Spellman, and McDaniels (who is nowhere close to NBA ready). That's really not a group that instills confidence with training camp 10 days away.

We very much need to bring Juancho back.

Before the draft Hernangomez was looked at as a guy that would be nice to bring back for the right price, now failure to re-sign him would be a disaster.
mercgold3
General Manager
Posts: 8,745
And1: 2,821
Joined: Nov 21, 2013
   

Re: How to fix the 

Post#224 » by mercgold3 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:33 pm

I dont like RHJ. At this point i desperately want a trade to happen to get a PF.
My opinion is that we need to start winning early to get some momentum. I dont believe in playing to see what we have, special in a season that we dont control our own pick.

But if we dont make a trade, give me Frank Kaminsky over guys like RHJ.
Norseman79
Pro Prospect
Posts: 750
And1: 209
Joined: Jul 26, 2017
     

Re: How to fix the 

Post#225 » by Norseman79 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:36 pm

Thon Maker or Skal Labissiere do anything
User avatar
_AIJ_
General Manager
Posts: 7,665
And1: 1,949
Joined: Oct 15, 2008
Location: 13 years...
     

Re: How to fix the "bigs" problems now? 

Post#226 » by _AIJ_ » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:39 pm

RHJ still available?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TIMBERWOLVES FOR LIFE :cry:
wolves_89
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,553
And1: 2,059
Joined: Jul 10, 2012
 

Re: How to fix the 

Post#227 » by wolves_89 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:40 pm

wolves_89 wrote:
shrink wrote:So I have been giving a lot of thought to what we can do about the PF position, and I’m not sure there is an answer better than Juancho right now, but I thought it might help to define the question, and maybe you can think of someone I can’t.

First, I’m not seeing match left in free agency, but if people see anyone better than Juancho, who we can get for the MLE, let me know.

Second, the draft is over, so that leaves trades. The matching Johnson salary is gone, and I think Rubio is here for a little while. This takes a deal for an expensive player off the table. With most vets on higher salaries, we likely would need to match a salary of $7 mil or less, so most likely a young player still on rookie scale. As a trade asset, we’ve probably marooned Okogie at least, so that’s our trade asset.

For skills, we need someone good at defense, rebounding, and with Rubio now, average three point shooting is probably even more important. He needs to be able to guard players out to the perimeter. Where we can take a weaker player is we don’t need a true scorer, or really someone with good ball skills. I guess we could include Culver, but I suspect Rosas wants to see who he is.

Can we find anyone better than Juancho within these constraints? I doubt it - he seems like our starter for now, but I’m open to ideas


I can't see any option other than to re-sign Hernangomez and pray Vanderbilt can turn potential into production. My prediction is that one of Beasley/Culver gets moved by the trade deadline with a PF coming back.


Thinking about it some more, I circled back to the guy I was interested in a couple of days ago in Nemanja Bjelica. He would be a decent stop gap PF for next season who is already familiar with the franchise and coach.
Neeva
Analyst
Posts: 3,299
And1: 1,070
Joined: Jun 03, 2016

Re: How to fix the 

Post#228 » by Neeva » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:41 pm

I’d prefer Giles over
kaminsky or Maker or RHJ.
User avatar
Dual
Starter
Posts: 2,224
And1: 1,215
Joined: Jun 26, 2009
 

Re: How to fix the 

Post#229 » by Dual » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:48 pm

Neeva wrote:I’d prefer Giles over
kaminsky or Maker or RHJ.

Kaminsky is so bad it hurts.
Nick K
Starter
Posts: 2,086
And1: 521
Joined: Nov 23, 2016
       

Re: How to fix the 

Post#230 » by Nick K » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:48 pm

Slim Tubby wrote:I’m 6’1, 200# and if I was guarding Juancho all game, he wouldn’t grab a single rebound. I’m not saying he’s a bad player but he is NOT our answer for a starting PF. There is a place for him on this roster but he shouldn’t get more than 12-15 minutes per game if we really are a playoff team.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Totally agree.
KGdaBom
RealGM
Posts: 11,652
And1: 2,389
Joined: Jun 22, 2017
         

Re: How to fix the 

Post#231 » by KGdaBom » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:50 pm

wolves_89 wrote:
wolves_89 wrote:
shrink wrote:So I have been giving a lot of thought to what we can do about the PF position, and I’m not sure there is an answer better than Juancho right now, but I thought it might help to define the question, and maybe you can think of someone I can’t.

First, I’m not seeing match left in free agency, but if people see anyone better than Juancho, who we can get for the MLE, let me know.

Second, the draft is over, so that leaves trades. The matching Johnson salary is gone, and I think Rubio is here for a little while. This takes a deal for an expensive player off the table. With most vets on higher salaries, we likely would need to match a salary of $7 mil or less, so most likely a young player still on rookie scale. As a trade asset, we’ve probably marooned Okogie at least, so that’s our trade asset.

For skills, we need someone good at defense, rebounding, and with Rubio now, average three point shooting is probably even more important. He needs to be able to guard players out to the perimeter. Where we can take a weaker player is we don’t need a true scorer, or really someone with good ball skills. I guess we could include Culver, but I suspect Rosas wants to see who he is.

Can we find anyone better than Juancho within these constraints? I doubt it - he seems like our starter for now, but I’m open to ideas


I can't see any option other than to re-sign Hernangomez and pray Vanderbilt can turn potential into production. My prediction is that one of Beasley/Culver gets moved by the trade deadline with a PF coming back.


Thinking about it some more, I circled back to the guy I was interested in a couple of days ago in Nemanja Bjelica. He would be a decent stop gap PF for next season who is already familiar with the franchise and coach.

Right now Bjelica is my dream free agent PF. I doubt we can afford him.
KGdaBom
RealGM
Posts: 11,652
And1: 2,389
Joined: Jun 22, 2017
         

Re: How to fix the 

Post#232 » by KGdaBom » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:52 pm

Nick K wrote:
Slim Tubby wrote:I’m 6’1, 200# and if I was guarding Juancho all game, he wouldn’t grab a single rebound. I’m not saying he’s a bad player but he is NOT our answer for a starting PF. There is a place for him on this roster but he shouldn’t get more than 12-15 minutes per game if we really are a playoff team.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Totally agree.

Totally disagree. Juancho is a solid rebounder and a very good shooter. He is easily our best option if we do resign him. I think those thinking we can get him for $5M a year are going to be sadly mistaken.
wolves_89
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,553
And1: 2,059
Joined: Jul 10, 2012
 

Re: How to fix the 

Post#233 » by wolves_89 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:52 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
wolves_89 wrote:
wolves_89 wrote:
I can't see any option other than to re-sign Hernangomez and pray Vanderbilt can turn potential into production. My prediction is that one of Beasley/Culver gets moved by the trade deadline with a PF coming back.


Thinking about it some more, I circled back to the guy I was interested in a couple of days ago in Nemanja Bjelica. He would be a decent stop gap PF for next season who is already familiar with the franchise and coach.

Right now Bjelica is my dream free agent PF. I doubt we can afford him.

He's not a free agent, the Kings guaranteed his $7M contract for next season. Acquiring him would have to be through trade.
KGdaBom
RealGM
Posts: 11,652
And1: 2,389
Joined: Jun 22, 2017
         

Re: How to fix the 

Post#234 » by KGdaBom » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:54 pm

wolves_89 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
wolves_89 wrote:
Thinking about it some more, I circled back to the guy I was interested in a couple of days ago in Nemanja Bjelica. He would be a decent stop gap PF for next season who is already familiar with the franchise and coach.

Right now Bjelica is my dream free agent PF. I doubt we can afford him.

He's not a free agent, the Kings guaranteed his $7M contract for next season. Acquiring him would have to be through trade.

Ouch. The way people were talking I thought he was a free agent. If we could make a trade for him that doesn't involve a starter or Culver I would love to bring him back.
Neeva
Analyst
Posts: 3,299
And1: 1,070
Joined: Jun 03, 2016

Re: How to fix the 

Post#235 » by Neeva » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:55 pm

Willing to give Jauncho a shot and see how he looks starting next to Kat. He started most of his games so far next to Naz..
Macwolf527
Junior
Posts: 252
And1: 155
Joined: Aug 14, 2017
       

Re: How to fix the 

Post#236 » by Macwolf527 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:05 pm

Juancho had buffed up a bit over the summer. He easily gained 10 pounds of muscle in my estimate. Mobility is more important than explosiveness within team defense. The way the game is going, only centers are afforded that much time in the paint. Guys like Covington, A. Gordon, Crowder, and Tatum occupied the PF for their teams. I think Juancho can handle 4 spot, while we entertain future candidates for the spot going forward.

I'm more concerned about the SF spot. Okogie definitely belongs out there, but you can't bring the #1 pick off the bench too long into the season. You're accelerating his depreciation. As it stands, Edwards is the most valuable trading chip you have to landing a 3rd star if you ready to make your move now. You have to showcase Edwards to have a chance at players like Booker, Beal and Simmons. I personally think we can kiss Booker goodbye with what Phoenix has done. We better be concerned about losing Towns and Russell to the Suns, with the BIG 3 taking place in Phoenix instead of Minneapolis.

That makes the starting lineup Russell-Edwards-Okogie-Juancho-Towns. That works for me, he's why. Edwards and Okogie are interchangeable at 2 and 3, so Okogie always takes the tougher wing matchup, freeing Edwards to roam a bit utilizing his size and strength to create turnover and push the ball up the court in transition. By playing Beasley with the second unit, you have Rubio and Culver as the primary creators, with the Bulk of the shots designed for Beasley and Naz. Beasley and Naz provide the bulk of your scoring on the 2nd unit, with the game plan designed for their offensive games. Combinations of Layman, Beasley, and Naz will keep the floor open for your slashers and weaker shooters, Rubio and Culver.
Neeva
Analyst
Posts: 3,299
And1: 1,070
Joined: Jun 03, 2016

Re: How to fix the 

Post#237 » by Neeva » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:11 pm

Im not that impressed by acquisitions of injury prone Paul and over-ratedCrowder and then the reaching of jalen smith. I think you will see the suns play get worse without Ricky if paul misses games (It will be a miracle if he stays healthy two seasons in a row) then Booker must not be happy losing his bff Oubre.
UnFadeable21
Rookie
Posts: 1,079
And1: 248
Joined: Mar 30, 2019

Re: How to fix the 

Post#238 » by UnFadeable21 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:18 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Looks like wolves still kicking tires on Aaron Gordon and Larry Nance
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 55,968
And1: 12,104
Joined: Jul 08, 2005
Contact:
   

Re: How to fix the 

Post#239 » by Klomp » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:19 pm

Slim Tubby wrote:I’m 6’1, 200# and if I was guarding Juancho all game, he wouldn’t grab a single rebound.



Got 13 rebounds guarded by Aaron Gordon, who this board drools over
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 55,968
And1: 12,104
Joined: Jul 08, 2005
Contact:
   

Re: How to fix the 

Post#240 » by Klomp » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:31 pm

Everyone's pointing to Culver and Okogie as sources for a trade, but one avenue I think merits consideration is Jordan McLaughlin.

Before Jedzz jumps down my throat, I do not want to trade McLaughlin. However, I think he'd be wise to find a better situation for himself with Minnesota trading for Ricky Rubio, and I think it'd be an easy way for Minnesota to add more cheap talent to the PF position potentially if he signed let's say a Layman-type contract.

Minnesota has Russell and Rubio to man the position with Ashton Hagans agreeing to a two-way deal. At this point, I'd be surprised to see McLaughlin back. Why not use him to bring more talent in?
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves