RealGM
And1: 4,790

Re: Beasley Re-Sign for 4 years / $60M 

Post#261 » by KGdaBom » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:52 am

Reddy83 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Reddy83 wrote:
The roster is in shambles?

The sky isn’t falling. We have great guards and an allstar center, a 6’6” 235 number one pick at wing.

My only concern is rim protection, but let’s see how the free agency goes and judge a quarter way into the season instead of raining negativity for no reason. It’s a new year of hoops!

he keeps getting bigger post after post. He might be 7' by the time the season starts.

I was speaking from the recent Ringer podcast, my weight may be high, point still stands. He’s arguably the best prospect in the draft, and people are already complaining. I’m personally excited as hell for this squad. :-)

No problem with you, but he recently went from being 6'3" and too short for NBA SG to 6'6" and 230 pounds to 6'6" and 240 pounds and then your post.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,824

Post#262 » by Klomp » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:02 am

KGdaBom wrote:No problem with you, but he recently went from being 6'3" and too short for NBA SG to 6'6" and 230 pounds to 6'6" and 240 pounds and then your post.

Largely has to do with discrepancies between measuring with or without shoes.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#263 » by KGdaBom » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:10 am

Klomp wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:No problem with you, but he recently went from being 6'3" and too short for NBA SG to 6'6" and 230 pounds to 6'6" and 240 pounds and then your post.

they've got to get rid of in shoes measurements once and for all. the 240 was zachattack projecting.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,412

Post#264 » by shrink » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:24 am

Klomp wrote:

He showed up for measurements wearing 3 inch stiletto heels, that weighed ten pounds.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,512

Post#265 » by Worm Guts » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:33 am

KGdaBom wrote:
Klomp wrote:

they've got to get rid of in shoes measurements once and for all. the 240 was zachattack projecting.

He supposedly grew an inch, so I’m guessing he’s around 6’4.5 now barefoot.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#266 » by Klomp » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:35 am

Worm Guts wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Klomp wrote:Largely has to do with discrepancies between measuring with or without shoes.

Exactly
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#267 » by KGdaBom » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:45 am

Klomp wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:they've got to get rid of in shoes measurements once and for all. the 240 was zachattack projecting.

Exactly

They've got to get rid of the in shoes measurements once and for all. I never want to hear about those again.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#268 » by Klomp » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:57 am

KGdaBom wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

Exactly

They've got to get rid of the in shoes measurements once and for all. I never want to hear about those again.

There will always be these discrepancies unless every level starts changing how they measure. High school, college, pro.....each has their own measurements. It's why the draft combine has been so important, because it streamlined and gave consistent results. This year I'd personally throw those out the window then because it wasn't streamlined in one location.

Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,762

Post#269 » by Slim Tubby » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:26 am

Klomp wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:they've got to get rid of in shoes measurements once and for all. the 240 was zachattack projecting.

Exactly

Edwards was measured at 6’9 getting on the rollercoaster at Valley Fair. The guy in the Guessing Booth had him at 295# but that was after he stopped for mini donuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
Rookie-Mistake
Rookie
And1: 390

Post#270 » by Rookie-Mistake » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:29 am

Yes but the USA posters don't see this as serious legal issues..

Guns? So what, they're kinda legal. He didn't even shoot anyone..

Drugs? It's kinda legal anyway, what's the big deal?

I think we are mad for offering a contract and it doesn't sit well for me that we are essentially condoning gun violence..
KGdaBom wrote:My final thought on the matter is I'm flabbergasted that we made a very large contract with a player that is currently facing serious legal problems.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using RealGM mobile app
shrink
RealGM

Post#271 » by shrink » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:29 pm

KGdaBom wrote:My final thought on the matter is I'm flabbergasted that we made a very large contract with a player that is currently facing serious legal problems.

Rookie-Mistake wrote:Yes but the USA posters don't see this as serious legal issues..

I think we are mad for offering a contract and it doesn't sit well for me that we are essentially condoning gun violence..

I think there may be some posters that feel that way, but America is highly divided on both these issues.

The one thing they aren’t divided on is child safety, so it often gets stressed that Beasley pointed a gun at a car with a kid in it, not that he pointed a gun at a car with a person in it. It is also noted that the government’s department of child services may take away his own young child. Most Americans don’t care what you do in your own home, so have all the guns and drugs you want for personal use, but they are concerned that both could tragically affect a toddler.

Finally, regardless of anyone’s personal feelings on guns, drugs, or children, the bottom line is how his choices are going to affect his future contribution as a basketball player. That’s what we are paying him for. Once the courts weigh in, an NBA suspension is likely, and I am concerned about Minnesota’s minimum sentencing laws could result in actual jail time. And of course, if the government takes your kid away, it is bound to affect anyone’s job performance.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Rookie-Mistake
Rookie
And1: 390

Post#272 » by Rookie-Mistake » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:51 am

I certainly have made my views known on this topic so I won't add any further.

This thread is about the contract that Gersson offered Malik, which he accepted.

We will never be privy to the specific caveats in his contract, which I hope are team friendly and protect us against any NBA or law enforcement action against Malik.

Is he worth it? That's open to a lot of interpretation.. Statistics, Position in team, Off Court.. On the basis of those three factors, I say no.
shrink wrote:

Rookie-Mistake wrote:Yes but the USA posters don't see this as serious legal issues..

I think there may be some posters that feel that way, but America is highly divided on both these issues.

The one thing they aren’t divided on is child safety, so it often gets stressed that Beasley pointed a gun at a car with a kid in it, not that he pointed a gun at a car with a person in it. It is also noted that the government’s department of child services may take away his own young child. Most Americans don’t care what you do in your own home, so have all the guns and drugs you want for personal use, but they are concerned that both could tragically affect a toddler.

Finally, regardless of anyone’s personal feelings on guns, drugs, or children, the bottom line is how his choices are going to affect his future contribution as a basketball player. That’s what we are paying him for. Once the courts weigh in, an NBA suspension is likely, and I am concerned about Minnesota’s minimum sentencing laws could result in actual jail time. And of course, if the government takes your kid away, it is bound to affect anyone’s job performance.

Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#273 » by Jedzz » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:01 am

Klomp wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
Klomp wrote:Exactly

There will always be these discrepancies unless every level starts changing how they measure. High school, college, pro.....each has their own measurements. It's why the draft combine has been so important, because it streamlined and gave consistent results. This year I'd personally throw those out the window then because it wasn't streamlined in one location.

Then those not going to combine, refusing measurements or competing, and those using random pro day results instead which are often greasing the numbers.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#274 » by Jedzz » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:21 am

Rookie-Mistake wrote:I certainly have made my views known on this topic so I won't add any further.

This thread is about the contract that Gersson offered Malik, which he accepted.

We will never be privy to the specific caveats in his contract, which I hope are team friendly and protect us against any NBA or law enforcement action against Malik.

Is he worth it? That's open to a lot of interpretation.. Statistics, Position in team, Off Court.. On the basis of those three factors, I say no.
shrink wrote:

This stuff lately always seems to devolve into the realm of everyone having an opinion on something that is really none of their business to bother with. Often people spinning up into a tissay making things worse than they are. I just hope everyone remembers nobody was hurt or physically touched in this event and so hopefully they treat it as such, don't spin it into something it isn't, that Malik can learn better from it and everyone can move on. The team seems to have covered itself with extra guards for now and chosen to back this player this way for as long as they are able it. He was/is a big part of their plans, they need the type of player he is and I'm sure they would like him to be the best player and person he can be from here on out.
shrink
RealGM

Post#275 » by shrink » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:25 am

Jedzz wrote:This stuff lately always seems to devolve into the realm of everyone having an opinion on something that is really none of their business to bother with. Often people spinning up into a tissay making things worse than they are. I just hope everyone remembers nobody was hurt or physically touched in this event and so hopefully they treat it as such, don't spin it into something it isn't, that Malik can learn better from it and everyone can move on. The team seems to have covered itself with extra guards for now and chosen to back this player this way for as long as they are able it. He was/is a big part of their plans, they need the type of player he is and I'm sure they would like him to be the best player and person he can be from here on out.

The report states:
Beyond the charges filed last week accusing Beasley of aiming a rifle at a couple and their teenage daughter in an SUV outside his house, where a large stash of marijuana and other guns were seized by police, the petition also says Beasley was caught on indoor video surveillance pointing a rifle “in the general direction” of his son in the garage that same day.

The child protection petition said police seized from the home a loaded semi­automatic shotgun on an office floor and “accessible to [the boy],” a handgun, a rifle, more than 1 ¾ pounds of marijuana, three notebooks suspected of being drug ledgers, nine dextroamphetamine pills and various firearms supplies.

We have laws to prevent deadly consequences from reckless behavior. If someone points a gun at a child, the mature response is not, “well, he didn’t pull the trigger, so it’s no big deal” .. even if he is a good basketball player.

“A loaded semi-automatic shotgun accessible to a toddler?” C’mon.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#276 » by Jedzz » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:14 am

shrink wrote:
Jedzz wrote:This stuff lately always seems to devolve into the realm of everyone having an opinion on something that is really none of their business to bother with. Often people spinning up into a tissay making things worse than they are. I just hope everyone remembers nobody was hurt or physically touched in this event and so hopefully they treat it as such, don't spin it into something it isn't, that Malik can learn better from it and everyone can move on. The team seems to have covered itself with extra guards for now and chosen to back this player this way for as long as they are able it. He was/is a big part of their plans, they need the type of player he is and I'm sure they would like him to be the best player and person he can be from here on out.

The report states:
Beyond the charges filed last week accusing Beasley of aiming a rifle at a couple and their teenage daughter in an SUV outside his house, where a large stash of marijuana and other guns were seized by police, the petition also says Beasley was caught on indoor video surveillance pointing a rifle “in the general direction” of his son in the garage that same day.

The child protection petition said police seized from the home a loaded semi­automatic shotgun on an office floor and “accessible to [the boy],” a handgun, a rifle, more than 1 ¾ pounds of marijuana, three notebooks suspected of being drug ledgers, nine dextroamphetamine pills and various firearms supplies.

We have laws to prevent deadly consequences from reckless behavior. If someone points a gun at a child, the mature response is not, “well, he didn’t pull the trigger, so it’s no big deal” .. even if he is a good basketball player.

“A loaded semi-automatic shotgun accessible to a toddler?” C’mon.

Again, not spinning things into things they are not was the hope. Please don't make me explan the difference between the police saying a gun was pointed in a general direction of, and the alternative of saying someone aimed a gun at a kid. I already did so in the general forum in more detail.

I'll leave the police work and judgement to the police attorneys and judges as they review an event where nobody was harmed and come to appropriete measure to assure Beasley has a reason to change his home envioronment and actions. It's not my job to judge him and sell the public on my thoughts on this or my intolerance levels and try to get him kicked off the Wolves. I'm glad no one was hurt and look at this event now in a good way, that the police did their job, nobody was killed, and that he'll likely be forced to correct that home environment.

I really don't care to talk about it more and constantly have it brought up here, or have people attack Rosas for the deal offered to Beasley over it, or have people openly lie about his production during the complaints about the deal he just got purely out of their intolerance for him.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,359

Post#277 » by younggunsmn » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:52 am

shrink wrote:The report states:

I had not heard the part about the loaded gun on the floor or the three notebooks suspected of being drug ledgers.
I had read that there was a notebook on the table with "rules for smoking in the house".

If the stuff about drug ledgers is true, this is going to get a whole lot worse.
Drug dealers treated a lot harsher than drug users.

If this were any normal profession, the company would be exploring every avenue to manage him out the door.

From a pure basketball standpoint, it's not a bad contract and he's a valuable piece to the team.
Hopefully Rosas knows more than we do.
Because my worst case scenario for the signing was that Rosas was desperate to recoup some value from a sunk cost,
and that's a terrible way to make any decision.
The worrisome thing is that there are many other impressionable young dudes on the team.
The worst vice they should be worrying about as pro athletes is playing too much fortnite.

Also, hopefully child protective services getting involved will force him to get clean and clean up his personal life, because no kid should ever be put in that situation. We do live in a time where child protective services and the courts are overwhelmed, and kids often get sent right back to bad homes and people get off easy because of a lack of resources.

I had read earlier that they had really undercharged him compared to the charges available to them, and if the above is true that is most certainly the case.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#278 » by Jedzz » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:06 pm

younggunsmn wrote:I had not heard the part about the loaded gun on the floor or the three notebooks suspected of being drug ledgers.
I had read that there was a notebook on the table with "rules for smoking in the house".

If the stuff about drug ledgers is true, this is going to get a whole lot worse.
Drug dealers treated a lot harsher than drug users.

If this were any normal profession, the company would

This is one problem. What is true and what isn't? What is conjecture, what is bias or sensationalism in writing, which isn't? And then you have the problem of comprehension of words reported. Such as taking "pointed in general direction" benig taken by some as the man pointing a gun at his own childs head in some kind of what, punishment moment, scare tactic? Come on.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#279 » by Jedzz » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:09 pm

younggunsmn wrote:The worrisome thing is that there are many other impressionable young dudes on the team.
The worst vice they should be worrying about as pro athletes is playing too much fortnite.

You mean that game that impressinable young minds play for endless hours running around the map finding creative ways to shoot and kill people and laugh it off?
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#280 » by King Malta » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:15 pm

I'm not going to pretend I'm fully informed on the details of the incident and charges he's facing, hell none of us are, but I'm pretty disappointed to hear about what he's been accused of doing and the environment he's allowing himself and his family to live in.

However, I do believe that people deserve second chances and the opportunities to get their lives back on the right track or atone for past mistakes. If the Coaching Staff/Front Office believe that Malik is the sort of person that deserves that faith and investment then that's good enough for me at the moment. Hopefully Malik is worth that investment.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves