ImageImageImage

Around the League 2020-21

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Re: Around the League 2020-21 

Post#61 » by Merc_Porto » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:24 am

Clips need a playmaker so badly on that team.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,282

Post#62 » by Mattya » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:27 am

cpower wrote:warriors fans were thinking very high of Wiggins...which makes me wondering...why has home fans always have false hope on this guy?...

Draft position and the 10 game stretches where he does make his shots. The scary thing is he seems to be regressing. I remember he was asked about Josh Okogie a couple years ago and he said something along the lines of “he dunks like I used to when I was younger.” He was only 23 or 24 and for him to talk like he is some old man was pretty confusing. He doesn’t draw fouls like he used to and we rarely see him poster anyone anymore either. Now that he is a veteran in the league and almost 26 the potential tease has worn off. It started to hit me one possession where he actually sprinted then he had a defensive possession where he was trying so much harder than I was used to and it was incredible. Gave me hope for a week then I never saw him go all out like that again.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,135

Post#63 » by Calinks » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:32 am

Mattya wrote:
cpower wrote:warriors fans were thinking very high of Wiggins...which makes me wondering...why has home fans always have false hope on this guy?...

Draft position and the 10 game stretches where he does make his shots. The scary thing is he seems to be regressing. I remember he was asked about Josh Okogie a couple years ago and he said something along the lines of “he dunks like I used to when I was younger.” He was only 23 or 24 and for him to talk like he is some old man was pretty confusing. He doesn’t draw fouls like he used to and we rarely see him poster anyone anymore either. Now that he is a veteran in the league and almost 26 the potential tease has worn off. It started to hit me one possession where he actually sprinted then he had a defensive possession where he was trying so much harder than I was used to and it was incredible. Gave me hope for a week then I never saw him go all out like that again.

The lack of dunking and attacking was maddening.

WTF happened!?

When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,112

Post#64 » by cpower » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:37 am

Calinks wrote:
Mattya wrote:

The lack of dunking and attacking was maddening.

WTF happened!?

it looks to me that he lacks the basic understanding of team offense. He always wants to dribble then thinking about what to do next. Since he is not an effective 1vs1 player, and a poor spot up 3 point shooter, his offense always slows down the game. I agree he needs to attack more but his first step is not elite and 1 or 2 buckets wont make a difference. Also when he attacks, he likes to throw the ball back which leads to more TOs..i mean its frustrating to watch him play basketball.
LibertyPrime
Starter
And1: 1,887

Post#65 » by LibertyPrime » Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:47 am

And now, from the sour grapes department....

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
"The last domino falls here!"
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#66 » by Calinks » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:08 am

LibertyPrime wrote:And now, from the sour grapes department....

People can be salty but what do you want. We got KAT, Wisepam reportedly didn't want to play here and the team felt it wasn't a fit. On top of that, I firmly believe you need a star 1-3 to win in the NBA and the wolves took the best shot to get one. Maybe we could have done two towers and made it epic but I'm not mad at not taking Wiseman all things considered. If I evaluated him and thought he was just an incredible star I'd still take him but if I thought it was close, go elsewhere.
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#67 » by King Malta » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:44 am

mercgold3 wrote:Seeing Wiseman mobility to defend multiple positions and that stretch of him knocking down a three and then long two's made me think about the non sense coming from him about not wanting to play with KAT. And we with so many problems in the frountcourt.

PS: Still love the Edwards pick and i believe in him.

Calinks wrote:
LibertyPrime wrote:And now, from the sour grapes department....

People can be salty but what do you want. We got KAT, Wisepam reportedly didn't want to play here and the team felt it wasn't a fit. On top of that, I firmly believe you need a star 1-3 to win in the NBA and the wolves took the best shot to get one. Maybe we could have done two towers and made it epic but I'm not mad at not taking Wiseman all things considered. If I evaluated him and thought he was just an incredible star I'd still take him but if I thought it was close, go elsewhere.

Wiseman and his camp were probably just looking for any reason to land in a big market like California, with perennial contenders like the Dubs.

I absolutely hate that kind of draft tampering in any sport though, and it's immediately put me offside with Wiseman. As far as I'm concerned, the kind of behaviour Wiseman's camp pulled (withholding medicals) should be punishable. The fact they can even withhold that information from a team is an absolute joke, IMO.

I was pretty worried about the Edwards pick at the time, but my confidence is slowly growing.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#68 » by Calinks » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:02 am

Read on Twitter
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,582

Post#69 » by Klomp » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:16 pm

Calinks wrote:Wiggins will look better but yea, I have given up on him. Maybe he would be solid in a the perfect system but there is no "unlocking". Again people were drolling over his off-season workout videos and it's the same thing we always see. He has enough talent and some skill to be a serviceable player but you can't hitch your horse to him.

Seems destined for a Harrison Barnes-Rudy Gay career.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,660

Post#70 » by KGdaBom » Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:28 pm

One day into the NBA season Wiseman is easily the front runner for RoY. He was my choice for #1 pick, but I'm not unhappy with Edwards.
AbeVigodaLive
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,358

Post#71 » by AbeVigodaLive » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:28 pm

Klomp wrote:
Calinks wrote:Wiggins will look better but yea, I have given up on him. Maybe he would be solid in a the perfect system but there is no "unlocking". Again people were drolling over his off-season workout videos and it's the same thing we always see. He has enough talent and some skill to be a serviceable player but you can't hitch your horse to him.

Both players have better advanced stats than Wiggins... Gay significantly so... from early in his career to today.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 13,982

Post#72 » by shrink » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:44 pm

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Both players have better advanced stats than Wiggins... Gay significantly so... from early in his career to today.

Dion Waiters?

I will say one good comparison with Rudy Gay - the contract. I remember being surprised when Gay got a max deal coming off rookie scale. He was a good player, and the closest thing the Grizzlies had to a star, but his performance was far below what other max players were doing.

The Grizzlies front office reasoning was that Rudy was young, and he had the potential to grow into a max-level player. They were also not a free agent destination, and small markets need to gain team control of their assets. I think this was the same reasoning that left me unsurprised when Wiggins got a max extension, especially with all the money that was being thrown around on worse players since 2016. No one argues that Andrew has the physical potential to be a star in this league, but he never grew into one. The Warriors fans will have to realize the problem wasn’t MIN (and the multiple coaches and systems they used to try to reach Wiggins) - it’s what goes on between Wiggins ears.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,135

Post#73 » by _AIJ_ » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:46 pm

KGdaBom wrote:One day into the NBA season Wiseman is easily the front runner for RoY. He was my choice for #1 pick, but I'm not unhappy with Edwards.

Sorry but he got most of his points against 3 stringers. He’s good no doubt about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
AbeVigodaLive
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,358

Post#74 » by AbeVigodaLive » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:49 pm

shrink wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:
Klomp wrote:Seems destined for a Harrison Barnes-Rudy Gay career.

Dion Waiters?

From early on... I labeled Wiggins as Jeff Green v2.0.

And if you look at the advanced stats... they're actually pretty damn close.
I doubt Wiggins ever catches Green for number of teams though...
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,660

Post#75 » by KGdaBom » Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:08 pm

_AIJ_ wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:One day into the NBA season Wiseman is easily the front runner for RoY. He was my choice for #1 pick, but I'm not unhappy with Edwards.

Sorry but he got most of his points against 3 stringers. He’s good no doubt about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing to be sorry about. Are you talking about Wiseman? Regarding Edwards I just said I'm not unhappy with him. I made no more claim than that. Given the chance to trade him for Wiseman I would. However, I do believe he could be great. He's shown flashes, but lots of people have shown flashes. The chase down block and the one popular play of him locking down Luka. His best drive was negated by a BS charging call.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#76 » by Calinks » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:03 pm

And I don't like the narrative that Wiggins doesn't try or is just lazy. Yes I do think he isn't as motivated to be great as most of the greats but there is a difference between having that extreme level of work ethic/obsession and being lazy/not trying. Wiggins probably puts in the work of an average-good NBA player I just don't think he has the mental makeup/tools to advance his game.

As someone who just built their first PC, I'll put it like this. Wiggins is a high-end gaming/work PC. He has top of the line parts in every facet, problem is, he is running on a CPU (Processor) that is 4 generations old. All that top-line hardware is bottlenecked by the CPU, so the PC will still boot, you can do some cool things with it but it will never run as well as it could.

Wiggins will still have some monster games, on some nights he will play and look like a top 5 NBA superstar, he just wont ever sustain that. Good dude, I still hope he can find his niche in the NBA someday, but I'm very happy we offloaded his contract. Wasn't a big fan of Russell's game but I absolutly think it's a lot more valuable than Wiggins at the money.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#77 » by Jedzz » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:17 pm

Mattya wrote:

Yes that covers the Wiggins enigma. I still go back to his second season I think, having a back issue flare up. I think it is possible it scared him and he got some advise from someone to avoid certain things.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,582

Post#78 » by Klomp » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:21 pm

Jedzz wrote:
Mattya wrote:

Yes that covers the Wiggins enigma. I still go back to his second season I think, having a back issue flare up. I think it is possible it scared him and he got some advise from someone to avoid certain things.

I would agree with that
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#79 » by Calinks » Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:49 am

LMAO! You see the end of the Kings Nuggets game? Buddy hit a game winner tip and he and the team just instantly ran off the court! Was hilariouis haha!
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,247

Post#80 » by Baseline81 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:03 am

Read on Twitter

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves