ImageImageImage

Is Jarred Vanderbilt Bam Abedayo?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,087

Post#1 » by TheZachAttack » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:56 pm

Jarred Vanderbilt has the same measurables and athletic profile (6'9 / 7'1 wingspan and big time vertical) as Bam Abedayo although he has a slighter frame. Vanderbilt, even back to his college days, is a well above average passer for his size.

In two games (albeit garbage time) Vanderbilt has combined for the following line:

31 minutes

11 points (4-8 FG - 3-6 FTs)
13 rebounds
7 assists
2 blocks
4 steals

Can Vanderbilt provide a similar role to Bam or Draymond in terms of being a slightly undersized 5 and minutes at the 4 as a big time defensive disruptor, rebounder, and providing passing ability not normally provided by someone at that position?
Dual
Veteran
And1: 1,494

Re: Is Jarred Vanderbilt Bam Abedayo? 

Post#2 » by Dual » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:03 pm

If he is, the Wolves will be champs in 2 years.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,821

Post#3 » by KGdaBom » Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:10 pm

TheZachAttack wrote:Jarred Vanderbilt has the same measurables and athletic profile (6'9 / 7'1 wingspan and big time vertical) as Bam Abedayo although he has a slighter frame. Vanderbilt, even back to his college days, is a well above average passer for his size.

In two games (albeit garbage time) Vanderbilt has combined for the following line:

31 minutes

13 rebounds
7 assists
2 blocks
4 steals

Can Vanderbilt provide a similar role to Bam or Draymond in terms of being a slightly undersized 5 and minutes at the 4 as a big time defensive disruptor, rebounder, and providing passing ability not normally provided by someone at that position?

A little while ago people here wanted to trade him for a roll of used Toilet Paper. Let's give it some time, but he has potential. He was a much better college passer than Bam.
DaMplsKid
Junior
And1: 106

Post#4 » by DaMplsKid » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:17 pm

I personally would like to see him start before we make any comparisons. I think Bam’s defense is on another level and he looks a lot more physical then Vando will ever be.

I am just hoping he can be a Larry Nance Jr or one of the Morris twins type of player. Someone who does the little things well (rebounds, defends, and set screens) **** I’ll settle for a guy who is a true starting PF. He doesn’t need to be an All Star just give us something solid. Please!!!!
old school 34
Senior
And1: 240

Post#5 » by old school 34 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:19 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
TheZachAttack wrote:Jarred Vanderbilt has the same measurables and athletic profile (6'9 / 7'1 wingspan and big time vertical) as Bam Abedayo although he has a slighter frame. Vanderbilt, even back to his college days, is a well above average passer for his size.

31 minutes

13 rebounds
7 assists
2 blocks
4 steals

A little while ago people here wanted to trade him for a roll of used Toilet Paper. Let's give it some time, but he has potential. He was a much better college passer than Bam.
Not certain what we have in him...& I assume a guy gets into the rotation with what he shows in practices or injuries....& we do need to make a decision on him @ end of year...so does seem logical for lots of reasons that I could see him in the rotation here while KAT & Okogie are down...to evaluate him some? Love JMac & what he's done & what he's shown....but would rather see JV in the 10-man right now vs. JMac.

DLo/Rubio
Beasley/Ant
Culver/Layman
Juancho/JV
Naz/Ed

Again, not saying JMac isn't better than some there...but w/out KAT--its probably good to play a little bigger & doesn't quite shuffle so many guys roles...putting JMac in as currently constructed really creates a significant trickle down effect that we shouldn't play just yet imo?

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#6 » by KGdaBom » Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:54 pm

DaMplsKid wrote:I personally would like to see him start before we make any comparisons. I think Bam’s defense is on another level and he looks a lot more physical then Vando will ever be.

I am just hoping he can be a Larry Nance Jr or one of the Morris twins type of player. Someone who does the little things well (rebounds, defends, and set screens) **** I’ll settle for a guy who is a true starting PF. He doesn’t need to be an All Star just give us something solid. Please!!!!

A lot of people liking Larry Nance Jr. lately. When I brought up the possibility of trading for him a little while back people were mocking the idea.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,915

Post#7 » by Klomp » Fri Jan 1, 2021 12:03 am

KGdaBom wrote:
DaMplsKid wrote:I personally would like to see him start before we make any comparisons. I think Bam’s defense is on another level and he looks a lot more physical then Vando will ever be.

A lot of people liking Larry Nance Jr. lately. When I brought up the possibility of trading for him a little while back people were mocking the idea.

It's never been about the player for me, but rather about the systematic fit.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#8 » by Jedzz » Fri Jan 1, 2021 12:07 am

old school 34 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

31 minutes

13 rebounds
7 assists
2 blocks
4 steals

Not certain what we have in him...& I assume a guy gets into the rotation with what he shows in practices or injuries....& we do need to make a decision on him @ end of year...so does seem logical for lots of reasons that I could see him in the rotation here while KAT & Okogie are down...to evaluate him some? Love JMac & what he's done & what he's shown....but would rather see JV in the 10-man right now vs. JMac.

DLo/Rubio
Beasley/Ant
Culver/Layman
Juancho/JV
Naz/Ed

Again, not saying JMac isn't better than some there...but w/out KAT--its probably good to play a little bigger & doesn't quite shuffle so many guys roles...putting JMac in as currently constructed really creates a significant trickle down effect that we shouldn't play just yet imo?

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app

What trickle down effect are we speaking about now? Because of his size thing again? His hole couple of inches shortness that destroys the teams defense? Is that what the claim is again? because all our 6-5 to 6-8 studs are so fantastic on defense and can stop a fly dead in it's tracks, right? Yeah that's what I saw the last two games. Big boy defense alright. I saw JMac keep his guy infront of him in the one game he played. Maybe two baskets occured by any player near him on defense. The trickle effect...everyone else forgets how to defend.

It's OK though. I'm not fond of him playing PG with three other PGs anyway. Cut him free as I've been saying for months.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#9 » by theGreatRC » Fri Jan 1, 2021 1:17 am

He deserves more minutes for sure..just don't ask him to get you a bucket, but he can rebound, defend, handle and pass.
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#10 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jan 1, 2021 6:27 am

Klomp wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

It's never been about the player for me, but rather about the systematic fit.

if you were going to make a blueprint for a systematic fit that blueprint would be Larry Nance Jr.
LibertyPrime
Starter
And1: 1,887

Post#11 » by LibertyPrime » Fri Jan 1, 2021 7:39 am

Let's not go nuts here. I'd settle for him being a passable front court partner for KAT.
"The last domino falls here!"
Rookie-Mistake
Rookie
And1: 390

Post#12 » by Rookie-Mistake » Fri Jan 1, 2021 11:23 am

Ben Simmons clone if anything.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using RealGM mobile app
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#13 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jan 1, 2021 3:27 pm

LibertyPrime wrote:Let's not go nuts here. I'd settle for him being a passable front court partner for KAT.

He is what he showed in college and G League. An insanely athletic, rebounding monster, with excellent passing skills and no shot at all.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,194

Post#14 » by Neeva » Fri Jan 1, 2021 3:42 pm

I like Jaden better and Jaden has shown he can hit the three pointer.
TheDominator273
Sixth Man
And1: 1,079

Post#15 » by TheDominator273 » Fri Jan 1, 2021 4:51 pm

Vanderbilt's strengths make him a very good fit next to KAT and I hope we see that pairing when KAT returns
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#16 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jan 1, 2021 9:12 pm

TheDominator273 wrote:Vanderbilt's strengths make him a very good fit next to KAT and I hope we see that pairing when KAT returns

I appreciate his skills as well.
Shaka_Zulu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,700

Post#17 » by Shaka_Zulu » Sat Jan 2, 2021 3:40 pm

Lets see him play any minutes that are not garbage minutes only, before we make threads like this.

But yeah his high energy, rebounding and decent ball handling is needed in this team. Just need to play him and show us if he is good enough.

But his issue is he is too small, Bam might not be that tall, but he is a tank. While this kid looks like an SF build through and through, with a rim running PF skillset. Our big man rotation is so bleak, that I'm worried they gonna put him in the 5 more, and he is gonna get destroyed.
TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,087

Post#18 » by TheZachAttack » Sat Jan 2, 2021 3:51 pm

Shaka_Zulu wrote:Lets see him play any minutes that are not garbage minutes only, before we make threads like this.

But yeah his high energy, rebounding and decent ball handling is needed in this team. Just need to play him and show us if he is good enough.

But his issue is he is too small, Bam might not be that tall, but he is a tank. While this kid looks like an SF build through and through, with a rim running PF skillset. Our big man rotation is so bleak, that I'm worried they gonna put him in the 5 more, and he is gonna get destroyed.

The title is provocative but I think his skill set mirrors a lot of what the Bam’s and the Draymonds of the world provide. He’s probably not as a good as them, but it seems like he could be an impactful to player with that skill set.

43 minutes

17 points on 7-11 shooting
17 rebounds
8 assists
2 blocks
5 steals
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#19 » by Jedzz » Tue Jan 5, 2021 6:36 pm

If he could get into a game rotation now and then to find out who he really is it would be nicer than always having to imagine who these players are only seeing them for a couple minutes every 4th game.
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#20 » by urinesane » Wed Jan 6, 2021 5:51 pm

No, he is not.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves