ImageImageImage

Post game thoughts. Spurs.

Moderators: Domejandro, Calinks, Worm Guts

Note30
Analyst
Posts: 3,687
And1: 870
Joined: Feb 25, 2014
 

Re: Post game thoughts. Spurs. 

Post#41 » by Note30 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:09 pm

Heimdal wrote:
minimus wrote:
Dual wrote:Ricky being a leader again said this. Bench not helping the rookie this time also hurts.


I am glad that Edwards has Ricky as a mentor. It's no coincidence that they both play together a lot.


Rubio and Edwards have been a total dissapointment for me. Again, blame Saunders. Rubio was supposed to be setting the table for Edwards: giving him easy looks, alley-oops, cuts to the basket, back doors, etc. Instead, Edwards runs the point Georgia style and Rubio watches. Then, after a bad play I guess Rubio "mentors" Ant. What a disaster.

Rubio did wonders for rookie Don Mitchell and veteran Devin Booker. This franchise is ran by incompetent people.


Rubio with Mitchell was a disaster initially too. It just wasn't as noticeable because the rest of the Jazz core was solid.

Here the entire team outside of the Center position is a disaster dumpster fire.
Note30
Analyst
Posts: 3,687
And1: 870
Joined: Feb 25, 2014
 

Re: Post game thoughts. Spurs. 

Post#42 » by Note30 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:12 pm

Step 1Trade everyone not named KAT, Edwards, Dlo, or Ricky. Step 2 Change the playbook, get a new coach if that doesn't happen. Step 3 Become a better team that is at least fun to watch
Heimdal
Freshman
Posts: 70
And1: 75
Joined: Jun 24, 2015
       

Re: Post game thoughts. Spurs. 

Post#43 » by Heimdal » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:42 pm

minimus wrote:
Heimdal wrote:
minimus wrote:
I am glad that Edwards has Ricky as a mentor. It's no coincidence that they both play together a lot.


Rubio and Edwards have been a total dissapointment for me. Again, blame Saunders. Rubio was supposed to be setting the table for Edwards: giving him easy looks, alley-oops, cuts to the basket, back doors, etc. Instead, Edwards runs the point Georgia style and Rubio watches. Then, after a bad play I guess Rubio "mentors" Ant. What a disaster.

Rubio did wonders for rookie Don Mitchell and veteran Devin Booker. This franchise is ran by incompetent people.


I can remember at least three moments in last two games when Rubio sent Edwards in fastbreaks or kicked out to wide open Edwards on perimeter. Not to mention multiple DHO to give Edwards opportunities to act within team offense.

But if you want to blame someone, go ahead.


Ricky and Edwards play together a lot. Of course, Rubio gets the ball at times and is given the chance to find Edwards or any other. Nothing close to what should be, because most of Saunders' set plays involve giving the ball to Edwards and letting him go 1 on 5.
jpatrick
Veteran
Posts: 2,941
And1: 785
Joined: May 30, 2007
 

Re: Post game thoughts. Spurs. 

Post#44 » by jpatrick » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:43 pm

Note30 wrote:Step 1Trade everyone not named KAT, Edwards, Dlo, or Ricky. Step 2 Change the playbook, get a new coach if that doesn't happen. Step 3 Become a better team that is at least fun to watch


Step 1: get a new owner
Step 2: replace entire front office.
Step 3: new coaching staff
Step 4: Roster churn.

Rosas biggest mistake was the Wiggins/DLo trade. I know Wiggins was a negative contract but I believe DLo is similarly negative and we probably gave up a high lotto pick to make the swap. Then, I truly believe because they had DLo, they passed on Ball.

I’d be much happier with a Ball, Beasley, Culver, Okogie, Towns, and I guess Juancho core. You still have Wiggins to soak up combo forward minutes. At 18, because you don’t need Rubio, you could take Maxey, Bey, or Poku.
Neeva
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,765
And1: 1,239
Joined: Jun 03, 2016

Re: Post game thoughts. Spurs. 

Post#45 » by Neeva » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:51 pm

jpatrick wrote:
Note30 wrote:Step 1Trade everyone not named KAT, Edwards, Dlo, or Ricky. Step 2 Change the playbook, get a new coach if that doesn't happen. Step 3 Become a better team that is at least fun to watch


Step 1: get a new owner
Step 2: replace entire front office.
Step 3: new coaching staff
Step 4: Roster churn.

Rosas biggest mistake was the Wiggins/DLo trade. I know Wiggins was a negative contract but I believe DLo is similarly negative and we probably gave up a high lotto pick to make the swap. Then, I truly believe because they had DLo, they passed on Ball.

I’d be much happier with a Ball, Beasley, Culver, Okogie, Towns, and I guess Juancho core. You still have Wiggins to soak up combo forward minutes. At 18, because you don’t need Rubio, you could take Maxey, Bey, or Poku.



Just a few weeks ago you had ball behind wiseman and edwards lol, its just a few decent games. I expected ball to be better out of the games since hes been a pro far longer.
Clav
Ballboy
Posts: 24
And1: 21
Joined: May 01, 2020
     

Re: Post game thoughts. Spurs. 

Post#46 » by Clav » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:24 pm

Lots of moments to learn from in this SAS game specifiically.

Bad - Everyone's mentioned the end-game follies (it'll be alright)
Layman .... I like his energy but he really gets pushed around, or beaten off the drive, he's not a good enough shooter to offset that
DLO's defense... most first or second actions from other teams get Russell out of position.
Our HC....

Good -- Offensive chemistry from Russell and Towns tonight, they both want to ball together and this team will win or lose based on both of their collective efforts.
Beasley was sharp and needed to be fed even more.
Naz Reid is going to have a decent career. Happy for this guy.
Edwards got called to pass for a 3, I'm sure of it. He's going to go through painful shooting games but he's got NBA physique and speed no doubt.

Counter-point - the team works better without DLO on it, and I'm not sure there's much we can do --- save trade KAT's boy who he wanted here. That seems like a self-destruct (KAT wants out) situation.
-Clav
Charly
Freshman
Posts: 59
And1: 26
Joined: Dec 15, 2020
       

Re: Post game thoughts. Spurs. 

Post#47 » by Charly » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:27 pm

This franchise has a very decent point guard that can handle the tempo of a match and lead rookies learning how to create with your teammates, and they insist in iso's permanent as a play system. This is the best way to destroy any rookie development.
I've been hearing this music here for a long, long time.
minimus
General Manager
Posts: 8,735
And1: 2,289
Joined: Jan 28, 2011
Location: Germany, Stuttgart area
 

Re: Post game thoughts. Spurs. 

Post#48 » by minimus » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:49 pm

Heimdal wrote:
minimus wrote:
Heimdal wrote:
Rubio and Edwards have been a total dissapointment for me. Again, blame Saunders. Rubio was supposed to be setting the table for Edwards: giving him easy looks, alley-oops, cuts to the basket, back doors, etc. Instead, Edwards runs the point Georgia style and Rubio watches. Then, after a bad play I guess Rubio "mentors" Ant. What a disaster.

Rubio did wonders for rookie Don Mitchell and veteran Devin Booker. This franchise is ran by incompetent people.


I can remember at least three moments in last two games when Rubio sent Edwards in fastbreaks or kicked out to wide open Edwards on perimeter. Not to mention multiple DHO to give Edwards opportunities to act within team offense.

But if you want to blame someone, go ahead.


Ricky and Edwards play together a lot. Of course, Rubio gets the ball at times and is given the chance to find Edwards or any other. Nothing close to what should be, because most of Saunders' set plays involve giving the ball to Edwards and letting him go 1 on 5.


If you do see it, it does it mean it does not exists. In a game with DEN, multiple DHO with Rubio help Edwards to get a mismatch, for instance here he works against much smaller Monte Morris who initially guards Rubio, then high screens/DHOs from Reid. That is emphasis of our coaching staff to put Edwards in situation where he can read defense and make right thing.



And Edwards nature is a ISO scorer, the only thing he needs is his teammate to create a mismatch or screen.
jpatrick
Veteran
Posts: 2,941
And1: 785
Joined: May 30, 2007
 

Re: Post game thoughts. Spurs. 

Post#49 » by jpatrick » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:06 pm

Neeva wrote:
jpatrick wrote:
Note30 wrote:Step 1Trade everyone not named KAT, Edwards, Dlo, or Ricky. Step 2 Change the playbook, get a new coach if that doesn't happen. Step 3 Become a better team that is at least fun to watch


Step 1: get a new owner
Step 2: replace entire front office.
Step 3: new coaching staff
Step 4: Roster churn.

Rosas biggest mistake was the Wiggins/DLo trade. I know Wiggins was a negative contract but I believe DLo is similarly negative and we probably gave up a high lotto pick to make the swap. Then, I truly believe because they had DLo, they passed on Ball.

I’d be much happier with a Ball, Beasley, Culver, Okogie, Towns, and I guess Juancho core. You still have Wiggins to soak up combo forward minutes. At 18, because you don’t need Rubio, you could take Maxey, Bey, or Poku.



Just a few weeks ago you had ball behind wiseman and edwards lol, its just a few decent games. I expected ball to be better out of the games since hes been a pro far longer.


Look at predraft. I was banging the Ball drum HARD. I watched all his Aussie games and was pleading with the board to do so. I even predicted he’d be a better shooter than Edwards. We’ll see if that plays out.

It’s only been a few games but Ball looks to be the most impactful guy. Halliburton looks really good too but he’s more of a complimentary piece.
User avatar
urinesane
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,455
And1: 2,337
Joined: May 10, 2010
 

Re: Post game thoughts. Spurs. 

Post#50 » by urinesane » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:18 pm

It's a bit naive to act as if any rookie would play the exact same on every team, which simply isn't true.

Ball would be a dumpster fire in MN currently, but in Charlotte they have a roster that compliments his style of play. In MN he would not look that good imo.
Jedzz
RealGM
Posts: 10,541
And1: 2,236
Joined: Oct 05, 2018
   

Re: Post game thoughts. Spurs. 

Post#51 » by Jedzz » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:09 pm

I can't believe I read all this and not one person mentions how they almost completely ignored Beasely and Towns as outside shooters in the 4th and OT while the Spurs went on a parade of three point shots.

Beasley, shooting threes at 64%, hitting 7-11 on the game, only had a couple shots in the 4th plus OT.
Towns, shooting two of three 3s and shooting 54% overall in the game. These two should have been featured outside to keep up.

These two are ignored late while the Wolves continued an inside game much of the 4th and OT. They were lucky that Reid hit a couple late in the game, thankfully he did, otherwise it might have been 14% from others in 4th and OT. And that's with these utter clowns that can't finish at the net over and over again.

Forget about the idiocy of leaning on Rookies in end of game and OT moments, Wolves have long beaten that mistake to death in their existence. But if your coach can't device any offense after timeouts in waning seconds, they should at least all be working to get the ball into the hands of their best shooters who happened to be their hottest shooters on the day as well.

I don't want Dlo, Rubio, Ediwards anyone else shooting those late shots. If you are going to force Edwards out there, you make sure he knows what is needed.
Jedzz
RealGM
Posts: 10,541
And1: 2,236
Joined: Oct 05, 2018
   

Re: Post game thoughts. Spurs. 

Post#52 » by Jedzz » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:11 pm

All that said, it was nice to see Towns return and instantly help them compete. Sadly, those calling for Ryans head on a platter still might have a point. It appears they aren't going to play the right players, they aren't going to feature the right players, they won't even ride the hot hands on any given game. It's a lot to get wrong every single game.
Neeva
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,765
And1: 1,239
Joined: Jun 03, 2016

Re: Post game thoughts. Spurs. 

Post#53 » by Neeva » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:20 pm

Jedzz wrote:I can't believe I read all this and not one person mentions how they almost completely ignored Beasely and Towns as outside shooters in the 4th and OT while the Spurs went on a parade of three point shots.

Beasley, shooting threes at 64%, hitting 7-11 on the game, only had a couple shots in the 4th plus OT.
Towns, shooting two of three 3s and shooting 54% overall in the game. These two should have been featured outside to keep up.

These two are ignored late while the Wolves continued an inside game much of the 4th and OT. They were lucky that Reid hit a couple late in the game, thankfully he did, otherwise it might have been 14% from others in 4th and OT. And that's with these utter clowns that can't finish at the net over and over again.

Forget about the idiocy of leaning on Rookies in end of game and OT moments, Wolves have long beaten that mistake to death in their existence. But if your coach can't device any offense after timeouts in waning seconds, they should at least all be working to get the ball into the hands of their best shooters who happened to be their hottest shooters on the day as well.

I don't want Dlo, Rubio, Ediwards anyone else shooting those late shots. If you are going to force Edwards out there, you make sure he knows what is needed.



I guess you must have missed (conveniently) the last spurs offensive possession where Edward’s defense made Derozen miss a shot to prevent them going up by 5.
Nick K
Starter
Posts: 2,181
And1: 557
Joined: Nov 23, 2016
       

Re: Post game thoughts. Spurs. 

Post#54 » by Nick K » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:11 pm

Domejandro wrote:
UnFadeable21 wrote:Just fire Ryan Saunders tonight. Enough of this 3rd year rookie head coach clueless every night.

DeRozan is killing us all night, how about put Jarred Vanderbilt on him. A 6’9 forward who can bother him with his length and size.

Last play of the game in OT, we have two timeouts! Use one and draw up a play!

How many more excuses will this guy get game after game, loss after loss.

Ryan Saunders coaching record is now 38-77.

Jarred Vanderbilt would have been absolutely brutalized by Demar Derozan, dude isn’t laterally quick enough for that assignment.


Jared Vanderbilt is plenty quick laterally. Plus, if he does get beat he can come from behind with his length and contest the shot.
Nick K
Starter
Posts: 2,181
And1: 557
Joined: Nov 23, 2016
       

Re: Post game thoughts. Spurs. 

Post#55 » by Nick K » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:15 pm

UnFadeable21 wrote:
Domejandro wrote:Anthony Edwards had a wide open dunk that would have put Minnesota down one with multiple seconds left. Just a bad take.

Regardless, D'Angelo Russells monopolizing of possessions hurts Minnesota. I have zero idea why Ryan would isolate him at the top, when Minnesota is at their best when Towns is the primary play maker. It is maddening to me that Minnesota does not fully utilize Karl-Anthony Towns.


I guess Jim Pete, a former NBA player, former WNBA associate coach, said the exact same thing that Ryan should of called a timeout.

Jim Pete, you don’t know basketball!


Did you really say that? That is now my #1 stupid comment for the year.
Jedzz
RealGM
Posts: 10,541
And1: 2,236
Joined: Oct 05, 2018
   

Re: Post game thoughts. Spurs. 

Post#56 » by Jedzz » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:42 pm

Neeva wrote:
Jedzz wrote:I can't believe I read all this and not one person mentions how they almost completely ignored Beasely and Towns as outside shooters in the 4th and OT while the Spurs went on a parade of three point shots.

Beasley, shooting threes at 64%, hitting 7-11 on the game, only had a couple shots in the 4th plus OT.
Towns, shooting two of three 3s and shooting 54% overall in the game. These two should have been featured outside to keep up.

These two are ignored late while the Wolves continued an inside game much of the 4th and OT. They were lucky that Reid hit a couple late in the game, thankfully he did, otherwise it might have been 14% from others in 4th and OT. And that's with these utter clowns that can't finish at the net over and over again.

Forget about the idiocy of leaning on Rookies in end of game and OT moments, Wolves have long beaten that mistake to death in their existence. But if your coach can't device any offense after timeouts in waning seconds, they should at least all be working to get the ball into the hands of their best shooters who happened to be their hottest shooters on the day as well.

I don't want Dlo, Rubio, Ediwards anyone else shooting those late shots. If you are going to force Edwards out there, you make sure he knows what is needed.



I guess you must have missed (conveniently) the last spurs offensive possession where Edward’s defense made Derozen miss a shot to prevent them going up by 5.
It's like talking to children if If I'm critical of Edwards or their use of him at all. I give up. Enjoy focusing on his 4 good plays and ignoring his ten bad plays for the next 4 years. Probably should just ignore my posts as well because I'm talking about winning basketball in the present. You may not care about that.
Jedzz
RealGM
Posts: 10,541
And1: 2,236
Joined: Oct 05, 2018
   

Re: Post game thoughts. Spurs. 

Post#57 » by Jedzz » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:58 pm

Besides all the other troubles the team has had figuring out any kind of team identity so far this season, they also have cmopletely thrown their own high reliance on 3pt shots plan in the garbage. Which sadly is probably the only thing that will allow them to win going small so often.

Even with Beasely hitting 7 threes and guys like Reid and Towns hitting them, and Dlo missing ten thousand last game, the team still only attempted 30 and Spurs attempted 32. A far cry from the 40 threes target that had most of last season that often kept them in games even with a really really poor shooting percentage. With a couple of better shooters on board this year I think ramping that back up to 40 and allowing some of these good shooting players to warm up shooting more then 3-4 times might really help this team.

Sadly they still seem devoted to the Dlo/Rubio at the same time lineup too much yet.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 56,270
And1: 12,325
Joined: Jul 08, 2005
Contact:
   

Re: Post game thoughts. Spurs. 

Post#58 » by Klomp » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:01 am

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
ChiefKeith91
Ballboy
Posts: 47
And1: 19
Joined: Nov 13, 2020
     

Re: Post game thoughts. Spurs. 

Post#59 » by ChiefKeith91 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:04 am

I do wish Russell would've went at Patty at the end of regulation. 2 plays really stood out on defense last night in OT (OREB by Johnson and Patty corner midrange). I was worried when Spurs were trying to get Edwards on PNR switch but he held his own. It was his first time finishing a close game and he will only get better with experience. Loved it.

Tonight I'd like to see more of Vandy early and Edwards attacking the rim.
Jedzz
RealGM
Posts: 10,541
And1: 2,236
Joined: Oct 05, 2018
   

Re: Post game thoughts. Spurs. 

Post#60 » by Jedzz » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:07 am

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter


They would have lost with a 2 there as well. Wolves don't win those games being down by 1 very often.

I don't care about the pisspoor kickout attempt or the decision not to take the two. There was also no guarantee he would have slammed for a two and he's missed a few layups along the way already. If he did go for a slam there was minor chance a spur wouldn have reacted and fouled him in process. Oh well, game was already toast.

My issue with the whole thing was that he was on the floor and the ball went to him and he drove it in. Everyone should have been told whoever gets the ball, everyone else get to the 3pt line and prepare to take a shot.

They lost this game when the Spurs went into great ball movement mode and swishing open threes. Wolves didn't even try to go tit for tat. They could have and have the players for the shooting. Although maybe not the minds to carry that ball movement for more than two seconds to spring someone open.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves