ImageImageImage

Post Game Thoughts. Grizzlies.

Moderators: Domejandro, Calinks, Worm Guts

Jedzz
RealGM
Posts: 10,541
And1: 2,236
Joined: Oct 05, 2018
   

Re: Post Game Thoughts. Grizzlies. 

Post#41 » by Jedzz » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:54 pm

winforlose wrote:
Foye wrote:Wolves never fail to disappoint.
When you think it can't get any worse they are blown out 38-17 in the 4th quarter against the JJJR & Ja Morant-less Grizzlies of all teams.

There is simply no excuse for losses like this one.


There is an excuse, we don’t run an offense. We entirely depend on the shooting of KAT, Dlo, and MB to carry us. We don’t set off ball screens. We don’t have proper off ball movement. We don’t even put our best units on the floor when it really matters. Not only are we poorly coached, but we lack leadership. Ricky was supposed to fix this, but I don’t see it yet.

BTW, in the first half Memphis missed a lot of open layups and 3s. It’s not that we were dominant in the first half, they were simply cold and we were not. In the fourth our big 3 went cold and we had no one to carry the load. Meanwhile they heated up in the fourth and took advantage of our lack of scoring to build the momentum and confidence which carried them to a double digit victory.


Here you go. Rubio probably can't over rule Kat. And Kat is saying he, dlo, beas can do enough scoring. They asked him about it. It's all defense to Kat. Not the bench, not the coaching, and none of these newsies will ask about the rotations, none ask about the lacking size to compete with a bigger opponent.

Kats angry, frustrated. He's taking some responsibility with words as he has in the past. Hopefully they are all talking internally and not just in post games. Seems he had some to get off his chest here.

winforlose
Junior
Posts: 295
And1: 122
Joined: Feb 27, 2020

Re: Post Game Thoughts. Grizzlies. 

Post#42 » by winforlose » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:19 pm

Jedzz wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Foye wrote:Wolves never fail to disappoint.
When you think it can't get any worse they are blown out 38-17 in the 4th quarter against the JJJR & Ja Morant-less Grizzlies of all teams.

There is simply no excuse for losses like this one.


There is an excuse, we don’t run an offense. We entirely depend on the shooting of KAT, Dlo, and MB to carry us. We don’t set off ball screens. We don’t have proper off ball movement. We don’t even put our best units on the floor when it really matters. Not only are we poorly coached, but we lack leadership. Ricky was supposed to fix this, but I don’t see it yet.

BTW, in the first half Memphis missed a lot of open layups and 3s. It’s not that we were dominant in the first half, they were simply cold and we were not. In the fourth our big 3 went cold and we had no one to carry the load. Meanwhile they heated up in the fourth and took advantage of our lack of scoring to build the momentum and confidence which carried them to a double digit victory.


Here you go. Rubio probably can't over rule Kat. And Kat is saying he, dlo, beas can do enough scoring. They asked him about it. It's all defense to Kat. Not the bench, not the coaching, and none of these newsies will ask about the rotations, none ask about the lacking size to compete with a bigger opponent.

Kats angry, frustrated. Hopefully they are all talking internally and not just in post games. Seems he had some to get off his chest here.



KAT is our best player but he is not guy to take Edwards under his wing and turn him into a star. I know this because I haven’t read or heard anything on KAT working with Okogie or Culver, or even Reid who plays the same position. Motivation has always been an issue and it has been an issue this season.

At the same time, Ricky has been way below average this season. He has no authority in the locker room because he is a net negative player. He has not and probably will not make his teammates better. We upgraded with Teague in that first year. After Butler left Teague went through injury issues and a major decline in production. Ricky should not have been brought in. Likewise Ant should never have been our first pick. If we had taken Wiseman and played him beside KAT we would be in the driver seat. Instead, we have no PFs, we are thin at the center, and are undersized at almost every position. No coach, no bench, no size, no hope.
Jedzz
RealGM
Posts: 10,541
And1: 2,236
Joined: Oct 05, 2018
   

Re: Post Game Thoughts. Grizzlies. 

Post#43 » by Jedzz » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:25 pm

Kat's end seems fine for the most part. He's attacking on defense that I've seen. At least early in games. Not sure he's got the same gas at end of games to offer the same. Not sure he realizes that or not. On offense I would hope he would stop trying to sell fouls at the basket and just assure the ball goes in first. The fouls will come if you put the ball in the basket. But again, he's doing enough. He has to let the coach and Pobo take some of this for the roster and rotation issues most are seeing. He may not want to admit it, but I don't lay it at his feet.
Baseline81
Senior
Posts: 702
And1: 296
Joined: Jan 18, 2009

Re: Post Game Thoughts. Grizzlies. 

Post#44 » by Baseline81 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:52 pm

Jedzz,

Could've sworn I read you said you were done after last night's game against Memphis.

Can't stay away, can you?

Jedzz wrote:Today is likely the last game I bother with this year. It will depend on what I see them choose to do with the players this game. If it is my last, I hope for all your sakes the entertainment level of the team at least gets much better later this season. They have some players capable of doing so if used correctly. I'm just not going to find much value in chasing record differences with the very bottom of the league anymore. The team can choose to exist there but I'm not going to choose to watch it anymore.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 56,270
And1: 12,325
Joined: Jul 08, 2005
Contact:
   

Re: Post Game Thoughts. Grizzlies. 

Post#45 » by Klomp » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:23 pm

Anyone catch this:

About 4 minutes left in the second quarter, after a switch Juancho tried to post up Tyus. High-low turnover led to a fastbreak opportunity for Memphis. The stanchion mic picked up Russell after the play telling Juancho "Stop posting up. Every time you post up it's a turnover. Stop doing that ****."
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
User avatar
Dual
Veteran
Posts: 2,597
And1: 1,436
Joined: Jun 26, 2009
 

Re: Post Game Thoughts. Grizzlies. 

Post#46 » by Dual » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:20 pm

Klomp wrote:Anyone catch this:

About 4 minutes left in the second quarter, after a switch Juancho tried to post up Tyus. High-low turnover led to a fastbreak opportunity for Memphis. The stanchion mic picked up Russell after the play telling Juancho "Stop posting up. Every time you post up it's a turnover. Stop doing that ****."

Ups, that's not good if true.
User avatar
packforfreedom
Veteran
Posts: 2,975
And1: 3,354
Joined: Nov 06, 2012
 

Re: Post Game Thoughts. Grizzlies. 

Post#47 » by packforfreedom » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:29 pm

Herni is so awful despite that one game when he looked like Hakeem with range. He makes so many mistakes. Missing rotations, random double teaming, wrong cutting. I get that Ryan wants to instill confidence in him but at what cost?
User avatar
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Posts: 13,850
And1: 17,842
Joined: Jul 29, 2014
Location: San Diego, California

Re: Post Game Thoughts. Grizzlies. 

Post#48 » by Domejandro » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:37 pm

Klomp wrote:Anyone catch this:

About 4 minutes left in the second quarter, after a switch Juancho tried to post up Tyus. High-low turnover led to a fastbreak opportunity for Memphis. The stanchion mic picked up Russell after the play telling Juancho "Stop posting up. Every time you post up it's a turnover. Stop doing that ****."

Just looked back. Honestly, that was a bad pass by Towns regardless, but Juancho does do a horrible job positioning himself to catch the ball. Just a frustrating season.
ChiefKeith91
Ballboy
Posts: 47
And1: 19
Joined: Nov 13, 2020
     

Re: Post Game Thoughts. Grizzlies. 

Post#49 » by ChiefKeith91 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:13 pm

Klomp wrote:Anyone catch this:

About 4 minutes left in the second quarter, after a switch Juancho tried to post up Tyus. High-low turnover led to a fastbreak opportunity for Memphis. The stanchion mic picked up Russell after the play telling Juancho "Stop posting up. Every time you post up it's a turnover. Stop doing that ****."


Yeah I heard it and the very next play Dlo fed Junacho coming off a screen for 3. So I wouldn't worry about it too much
Jedzz
RealGM
Posts: 10,541
And1: 2,236
Joined: Oct 05, 2018
   

Re: Post Game Thoughts. Grizzlies. 

Post#50 » by Jedzz » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:18 pm

Baseline81 wrote:Jedzz,

Could've sworn I read you said you were done after last night's game against Memphis.

Can't stay away, can you?

Jedzz wrote:Today is likely the last game I bother with this year. It will depend on what I see them choose to do with the players this game. If it is my last, I hope for all your sakes the entertainment level of the team at least gets much better later this season. They have some players capable of doing so if used correctly. I'm just not going to find much value in chasing record differences with the very bottom of the league anymore. The team can choose to exist there but I'm not going to choose to watch it anymore.


Can't read more then 11 words, can you? Do I blame you for being lazy or blame twitter?

I had some belief that it was possible after their win without Kat they would go back to their season start goals for individuals instead of the team. That's why I chose Edwards in the +/- contest, for that chance. This would have driven me immediately out. But they didn't. They for the most part allowed Dlo/Towns/Beasley to lead this like they should. They got Vano included early. The result was three quarters of competitive basketball, although there was a big issue with the bench players and a couple starters' shooting, and more of Saunders using the DLo/Rubio rotations. So still some issues from Saunders, size, and shooting but at least they gave themselves a chance by allowing their best players to have focus and until the collapse we got entertainment value from it. The last thing I wanted to see any more of was the limiting of our best players just to sell individual performances as we saw in earlier games.
Baseline81
Senior
Posts: 702
And1: 296
Joined: Jan 18, 2009

Re: Post Game Thoughts. Grizzlies. 

Post#51 » by Baseline81 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:28 pm

Jedzz wrote:Can't read more then 11 words, can you? Do I blame you for being lazy or blame twitter?

I had some belief that it was possible after their win without Kat they would go back to their season start goals for individuals instead of the team. That's why I chose Edwards in the +/- contest, for that chance. This would have driven me immediately out. But they didn't. They for the most part allowed Dlo/Towns/Beasley to lead this like they should. The result was three quarters of competitive basketball, although there was a big issue with the bench players shooting and more of Saunders using the DLo/Rubio rotations. So still some issues from Saunders, size, and shooting but at least they gave themselves a chance by allowing their best players to have focus.

If that "display" inspired you to continue, I'm not sure what to say. Most others, though, are either upset or turned off.
Jedzz
RealGM
Posts: 10,541
And1: 2,236
Joined: Oct 05, 2018
   

Re: Post Game Thoughts. Grizzlies. 

Post#52 » by Jedzz » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:33 pm

ChiefKeith91 wrote:
Klomp wrote:Anyone catch this:

About 4 minutes left in the second quarter, after a switch Juancho tried to post up Tyus. High-low turnover led to a fastbreak opportunity for Memphis. The stanchion mic picked up Russell after the play telling Juancho "Stop posting up. Every time you post up it's a turnover. Stop doing that ****."


Yeah I heard it and the very next play Dlo fed Junacho coming off a screen for 3. So I wouldn't worry about it too much


Although I think that may have been Juancho's last make, a swishy well timed/executed no hesitation shot from his pass. He vanished after that at least to my eyes/ears. Missed some shots after it appears.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 56,270
And1: 12,325
Joined: Jul 08, 2005
Contact:
   

Re: Post Game Thoughts. Grizzlies. 

Post#53 » by Klomp » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:51 pm

ChiefKeith91 wrote:
Klomp wrote:Anyone catch this:

About 4 minutes left in the second quarter, after a switch Juancho tried to post up Tyus. High-low turnover led to a fastbreak opportunity for Memphis. The stanchion mic picked up Russell after the play telling Juancho "Stop posting up. Every time you post up it's a turnover. Stop doing that ****."


Yeah I heard it and the very next play Dlo fed Junacho coming off a screen for 3. So I wouldn't worry about it too much

Guess I'm not sure what you mean by "I wouldn't worry about it too much"? What exactly are you not worried about? The turnover? The posting up? Russell's comment?
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
ChiefKeith91
Ballboy
Posts: 47
And1: 19
Joined: Nov 13, 2020
     

Re: Post Game Thoughts. Grizzlies. 

Post#54 » by ChiefKeith91 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:09 pm

Klomp wrote:
ChiefKeith91 wrote:
Klomp wrote:Anyone catch this:

About 4 minutes left in the second quarter, after a switch Juancho tried to post up Tyus. High-low turnover led to a fastbreak opportunity for Memphis. The stanchion mic picked up Russell after the play telling Juancho "Stop posting up. Every time you post up it's a turnover. Stop doing that ****."


Yeah I heard it and the very next play Dlo fed Junacho coming off a screen for 3. So I wouldn't worry about it too much

Guess I'm not sure what you mean by "I wouldn't worry about it too much"? What exactly are you not worried about? The turnover? The posting up? Russell's comment?


Just the comment. Your right Juancho doesn't need to post up, and the pass was horrible. KAT should've noticed when Dlo didn't drop the ball down from that side.
K4P
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,192
And1: 16,962
Joined: Aug 27, 2017

Re: Post Game Thoughts. Grizzlies. 

Post#55 » by K4P » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:52 pm

Klomp wrote:Anyone catch this:

About 4 minutes left in the second quarter, after a switch Juancho tried to post up Tyus. High-low turnover led to a fastbreak opportunity for Memphis. The stanchion mic picked up Russell after the play telling Juancho "Stop posting up. Every time you post up it's a turnover. Stop doing that ****."

https://streamable.com/g56kyx

That's uhh...not good.
Slim Tubby
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,400
And1: 808
Joined: Jun 03, 2017
         

Re: Post Game Thoughts. Grizzlies. 

Post#56 » by Slim Tubby » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:39 pm

Calinks wrote:I disagree with all the doom and gloom takes. Yes we stink, flat out, we are a bad team. We still will improve over the course of this season. The team is already showing signs of growth, we just aren't there yet and got a long ways to go. I think things will look more positive by seasons end we are still straight up rebuilding as opposed to contending for anything.

No disrespect, Calinks (you’re one of my favorites on here)...but it seems like I’ve been reading this same post for the last 12 years.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
Slim Tubby
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,400
And1: 808
Joined: Jun 03, 2017
         

Re: Post Game Thoughts. Grizzlies. 

Post#57 » by Slim Tubby » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:41 pm

PharmD wrote:
Foye wrote:Wolves never fail to disappoint.
When you think it can't get any worse they are blown out 38-17 in the 4th quarter against the JJJR & Ja Morant-less Grizzlies of all teams.

There is simply no excuse for losses like this one.

We lost 80-44 in the paint. Basketball is a game for tall people.

Wiseman is tall.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves