ImageImageImage

2021 Draft thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Calinks, Worm Guts

jpatrick
Analyst
Posts: 3,201
And1: 950
Joined: May 30, 2007
 

Re: 2021 Draft thread 

Post#201 » by jpatrick » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:05 pm

Tjstangeland wrote:You shouldn't compare Wiseman to Mobley. Wiseman wouldn't make it in the top 6 of this draft. Mobley is so much better than Wiseman. If we can't get Cade, Mobley should be the pick and would be a good 4 until he can put on some weight. Would be a perfect situation for the Wolves.


If Mobley shoots it like Towns did during predraft workouts, I wouldn’t be surprised if he went #1. He’s so much better than Wiseman. Not sure where I’d personally rank him in the top four, but he’s a difference maker because of his all around game (defense, passing, shooting, BBIQ) at 7’ with a 7’5” wingspan.
ChiefKeith91
Sophomore
Posts: 141
And1: 44
Joined: Nov 13, 2020
     

Re: 2021 Draft thread 

Post#202 » by ChiefKeith91 » Thu Apr 1, 2021 12:08 am

wolfen wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
wolfen wrote:I'm thinking Patrick Beverly but with a better offensive game. Why I think he would fit in so well (besides the defense) is that he is just fine not having to force the issue on offense. He is very satisfied with "first pass play", bringing the ball up and getting it to his weapons. Then he picks his spots when sh@t needs to get done and uses his speed to collapse the defense. He's almost a 3 and D PG really, which would be perfect, since KAT and Ant are the primary weapons. Set them up, play tough D, nail the open 3, and break down defenses. Lather, rinse, repeat...


You don't need a PG, and whoever you draft isn't going to get much time walking it up. Ant will take most of that too, like he already has. If you want another combo guard, trade Ant first. Otherwise go for a position of need or we can start this developing logjam all over again. Ant isn't asking anyone to set him up. He's the setter upper baby. A choice to keep him is a choice to live with that.


Frankly, I don't see the organization keeping DLo around long term. The defensive holes are just too big, especially when you combine him with Beasley and Ant...

I agree with the defensive holes but the entire team defense is bad so you have to fully evaluate each player and at least DLo gives you 20, 5 and 4 with above average shooting. Then you go down the line and ask what does Rubio, Ant, and Nowell? We know DLo can play defense (Draymond training camp interview), Wolves need a new defensive coach who will get it out of everybody


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Norseman79
Rookie
Posts: 1,089
And1: 353
Joined: Jul 26, 2017
     

Re: 2021 Draft thread 

Post#203 » by Norseman79 » Thu Apr 1, 2021 2:51 am

1. Green SG
2. Suggs PG
3. Cade SF
4. Barnes PF
5. Mobley C

If they see Ant as a 2 and Mcdaniels as a 3, get Suggs and Barnes. Build it right.
Jedzz
RealGM
Posts: 12,322
And1: 2,503
Joined: Oct 05, 2018

Re: 2021 Draft thread 

Post#204 » by Jedzz » Thu Apr 1, 2021 2:58 am

wolfen wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
wolfen wrote:I'm thinking Patrick Beverly but with a better offensive game. Why I think he would fit in so well (besides the defense) is that he is just fine not having to force the issue on offense. He is very satisfied with "first pass play", bringing the ball up and getting it to his weapons. Then he picks his spots when sh@t needs to get done and uses his speed to collapse the defense. He's almost a 3 and D PG really, which would be perfect, since KAT and Ant are the primary weapons. Set them up, play tough D, nail the open 3, and break down defenses. Lather, rinse, repeat...


You don't need a PG, and whoever you draft isn't going to get much time walking it up. Ant will take most of that too, like he already has. If you want another combo guard, trade Ant first. Otherwise go for a position of need or we can start this developing logjam all over again. Ant isn't asking anyone to set him up. He's the setter upper baby. A choice to keep him is a choice to live with that.


Frankly, I don't see the organization keeping DLo around long term. The defensive holes are just too big, especially when you combine him with Beasley and Ant...


I know many of you keep saying that, as if saying it more means anything to me. Just like me telling you it doesn't really means squat to you all the same. But that's beside the point. I don't care about Dlo. I was talking about Ant being here because he's the point guard now whether any of us like it or not. Talking about drafting another point guard is a waste. Ant is going to walk it up. Ant is going to wait under the basket for every ball that drops or wait for Towns to hand it too him to walk it up. Ant is going to decide whether he wants to take a shot while he dribbles for a while and if he decides to pass...then he will. That's what he's shown us, that's what the coach and Towns have shown us they are fine with and that reality already encompasses his whole head. Therefore if you want a three AND d guy, then go get another taller off ball guard or forward. Stop drafting tiny point guards that are going to be sent in the corner to wait for a ball. It won't matter if they are edgy like Beverly, he's still going to watch, not play point guard. They won't have the size for slashing or second chance rebounds they'll need to ever even touch a ball, they will end up just like JMac and Rubio standing around waiing for Ant or Towns to feel like passing. That's all there is anymore. That's just the reality of Rosas choices now. So, Aim for Kawhi size with two way shooting and defense skills already in the bank. That should narrow it down enough to find something useful.

All i know is Dunn was supposed to be a defender and ready to go offense guy. He was neither and too soft to stay on the court.
Culver was supposed to be some kind of all around player and playmaker you could use right away. He was neither and second season, 30 some games in he now has one passable game this year.

So people acting like they can just draft a better answer then a 20PPG proven 25 year old, or a 20 PPG first year starting 24 year old just because they haven't yet shown the defense you want are likely going to get a rude awakening when they ditch these two and draft another allstar comeplete 19-20 yr old Dud. The entire team refuses to play defense. That's now obvious after seeing them all of a sudden play defense against the Nets the other night. All of a sudden they can? Well if this whole team can all of a sudden care enough to play defense then I'm not putting it beyond Dlo and Beasley to also play defense when they have a reason to do so. No, wasted development years aren't really going to push any of your vets to do so on their own. It's on the coaches. Whatever he did to get the team to play defense against the nets...keep that up.

I'm going to laugh my you know what right off if they draft another 6-4 pg and now have two ultra young and dumb developers leading this show for the next 4 years until they finally contract this team for giving the league a bad name.
Norseman79
Rookie
Posts: 1,089
And1: 353
Joined: Jul 26, 2017
     

Re: 2021 Draft thread 

Post#205 » by Norseman79 » Thu Apr 1, 2021 3:10 am

Jedzz wrote:
wolfen wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
You don't need a PG, and whoever you draft isn't going to get much time walking it up. Ant will take most of that too, like he already has. If you want another combo guard, trade Ant first. Otherwise go for a position of need or we can start this developing logjam all over again. Ant isn't asking anyone to set him up. He's the setter upper baby. A choice to keep him is a choice to live with that.


Frankly, I don't see the organization keeping DLo around long term. The defensive holes are just too big, especially when you combine him with Beasley and Ant...


I know many of you keep saying that, as if saying it more means anything to me. Just like me telling you it doesn't really means squat to you all the same. But that's beside the point. I don't care about Dlo. I was talking about Ant being here because he's the point guard now whether any of us like it or not. Talking about drafting another point guard is a waste. Ant is going to walk it up. Ant is going to wait under the basket for every ball that drops or wait for Towns to hand it too him to walk it up. Ant is going to decide whether he wants to take a shot while he dribbles for a while and if he decides to pass...then he will. That's what he's shown us, that's what the coach and Towns have shown us they are fine with and that reality already encompasses his whole head. Therefore if you want a three AND d guy, then go get another taller off ball guard or forward. Stop drafting tiny point guards that are going to be sent in the corner to wait for a ball. It won't matter if they are edgy like Beverly, he's still going to watch, not play point guard. They won't have the size for slashing or second chance rebounds they'll need to ever even touch a ball, they will end up just like JMac and Rubio standing around waiing for Ant or Towns to feel like passing. That's all there is anymore. That's just the reality of Rosas choices now. So, Aim for Kawhi size with two way shooting and defense skills already in the bank. That should narrow it down enough to find something useful.


I can completely understand and appreciate your view on this. I am not sure how much of this is trying to develop Ant vs him playing a role for now. I mean, really, Ant is the only player who can create much off the dribble (it's a work in progress). I would still take Suggs, 6'4 and 210 isn't small and, if I remember, he actually shoots quite well for spot ups, meaning I could see him playing with Any and not needing the ball in his hands at all times, plus playing on the other teams best guard while Mcdaniels locks up the best forward.

Jedzz, I may not agree with some of your takes, but I can appreciate your big picture concepts. If they do see Ant as the PG, I start hunting for big 3 and D wings like you said...and then, turn them loose.
ChiefKeith91
Sophomore
Posts: 141
And1: 44
Joined: Nov 13, 2020
     

Re: 2021 Draft thread 

Post#206 » by ChiefKeith91 » Thu Apr 1, 2021 3:25 am

Norseman79 wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
wolfen wrote:
Frankly, I don't see the organization keeping DLo around long term. The defensive holes are just too big, especially when you combine him with Beasley and Ant...


I know many of you keep saying that, as if saying it more means anything to me. Just like me telling you it doesn't really means squat to you all the same. But that's beside the point. I don't care about Dlo. I was talking about Ant being here because he's the point guard now whether any of us like it or not. Talking about drafting another point guard is a waste. Ant is going to walk it up. Ant is going to wait under the basket for every ball that drops or wait for Towns to hand it too him to walk it up. Ant is going to decide whether he wants to take a shot while he dribbles for a while and if he decides to pass...then he will. That's what he's shown us, that's what the coach and Towns have shown us they are fine with and that reality already encompasses his whole head. Therefore if you want a three AND d guy, then go get another taller off ball guard or forward. Stop drafting tiny point guards that are going to be sent in the corner to wait for a ball. It won't matter if they are edgy like Beverly, he's still going to watch, not play point guard. They won't have the size for slashing or second chance rebounds they'll need to ever even touch a ball, they will end up just like JMac and Rubio standing around waiing for Ant or Towns to feel like passing. That's all there is anymore. That's just the reality of Rosas choices now. So, Aim for Kawhi size with two way shooting and defense skills already in the bank. That should narrow it down enough to find something useful.


I can completely understand and appreciate your view on this. I am not sure how much of this is trying to develop Ant vs him playing a role for now. I mean, really, Ant is the only player who can create much off the dribble (it's a work in progress). I would still take Suggs, 6'4 and 210 isn't small and, if I remember, he actually shoots quite well for spot ups, meaning I could see him playing with Any and not needing the ball in his hands at all times, plus playing on the other teams best guard while Mcdaniels locks up the best forward.

Jedzz, I may not agree with some of your takes, but I can appreciate your big picture concepts. If they do see Ant as the PG, I start hunting for big 3 and D wings like you said...and then, turn them loose.

Suggs might not be CP3 small but he’s Morant size without the athleticism. People are labeling him athletic but he’s not explosives like Rose or Westbrook so he won’t be dunking in game very often which will make it harder against NBA length. And he shoots 32% from 3 in college so that worries me a lot because those percentages normally drop as you transition to the NBA.

I agree with Jeddz drafting a PG would be idiotic if Ant has the keys to this vehicle moving forward. It’ll almost be like Ant is Lebron who handles the ball most of the time and any PG he plays with becomes a spot up shooter or only runs point when he’s not in the game. That is not worth a Top 3 draft choice, go get your lengthy defender who doesn’t need the ball to be productive


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Jedzz
RealGM
Posts: 12,322
And1: 2,503
Joined: Oct 05, 2018

Re: 2021 Draft thread 

Post#207 » by Jedzz » Thu Apr 1, 2021 3:34 am

They got McDaniels with a late FRP. He's a forward and already in his rookie season he's showing two way useable skills and efforts, and a basketball head on his shoulders. They got him at 25 or 28 or what was it? If they can find players like that, they also had found JMac from G, another guy with a head for the game and ball skills proven his first playing year. They found Nowell in second round... If they can find players like this outside the top 20 of the draft, then why in the world would you keep drafting in the top10 for at all? Because there is zero proof they can make the best choice up there or know how to develop players from those picks.

Showing they could find McDaniels where they did,..that tells me this team was one player choice away from having a team this season to make a playoff run with . One trade of the #1 overall for a starting capable PF would have sent this team to the playoffs this year. They were one move, one single choice away from having a good set of starters and nice developing heady set of players off bench. Instead...we gotta blow the whole thing up now and start over.
jpatrick
Analyst
Posts: 3,201
And1: 950
Joined: May 30, 2007
 

Re: 2021 Draft thread 

Post#208 » by jpatrick » Thu Apr 1, 2021 3:55 am

Suggs is a winning player. He’s a combo guard that can play on and off the ball. Will he be a DLo level of shooter? Maybe not. Maybe he will develop it. He will do everything else better than DLo.

Those top four are all so good.
User avatar
Mattya
RealGM
Posts: 15,049
And1: 4,076
Joined: Aug 08, 2008
   

Re: 2021 Draft thread 

Post#209 » by Mattya » Thu Apr 1, 2021 5:02 am

For me.

1.Cunningham. Will be a 2 way player. Impressive shooting stats. Free throws strengthen his case as a very good shooter.

2.Suggs. Winning player who does everything but shoot a high percentage from 3. I don’t know if he is taking many pull ups or difficult threes tho. If he was a better free throw shooter I would rank him higher. Plays with great pace attacking the paint, but I worry about injuries with him.
3.Mobley. Having two defensive prospects with length at the forward spots would be interesting. He seems to have pretty interesting passing ability. Seems like he could thrive being a role player offensively here. Lack of rebounding for a guy that athletic is a big question mark tho.
User avatar
Mattya
RealGM
Posts: 15,049
And1: 4,076
Joined: Aug 08, 2008
   

Re: 2021 Draft thread 

Post#210 » by Mattya » Thu Apr 1, 2021 5:12 am

I don’t get the idea that we shouldn’t draft a guard because Edwards is handling the ball a lot like Lebron. Are we going to ignore that Lebron has won a championship with Kyrie and the Lakers look incredible with Schroeder. There are better reasons for the Wolves to draft a different player.
Neeva
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,108
And1: 1,324
Joined: Jun 03, 2016

Re: 2021 Draft thread 

Post#211 » by Neeva » Thu Apr 1, 2021 6:36 am

Jedzz wrote:They got McDaniels with a late FRP. He's a forward and already in his rookie season he's showing two way useable skills and efforts, and a basketball head on his shoulders. They got him at 25 or 28 or what was it? If they can find players like that, they also had found JMac from G, another guy with a head for the game and ball skills proven his first playing year. They found Nowell in second round... If they can find players like this outside the top 20 of the draft, then why in the world would you keep drafting in the top10 for at all? Because there is zero proof they can make the best choice up there or know how to develop players from those picks.

Showing they could find McDaniels where they did,..that tells me this team was one player choice away from having a team this season to make a playoff run with . One trade of the #1 overall for a starting capable PF would have sent this team to the playoffs this year. They were one move, one single choice away from having a good set of starters and nice developing heady set of players off bench. Instead...we gotta blow the whole thing up now and start over.


Last years draft class was deep there will
be no McDaniels late in the first round this class.
Also every single opponents fanbase thinks Ant will be great except this **** fanbase with people like jeedzz wintolose...
theGreatRC
RealGM
Posts: 17,854
And1: 4,257
Joined: Oct 12, 2006
Location: California
 

Re: 2021 Draft thread 

Post#212 » by theGreatRC » Thu Apr 1, 2021 7:17 am

Neeva wrote:
Jedzz wrote:They got McDaniels with a late FRP. He's a forward and already in his rookie season he's showing two way useable skills and efforts, and a basketball head on his shoulders. They got him at 25 or 28 or what was it? If they can find players like that, they also had found JMac from G, another guy with a head for the game and ball skills proven his first playing year. They found Nowell in second round... If they can find players like this outside the top 20 of the draft, then why in the world would you keep drafting in the top10 for at all? Because there is zero proof they can make the best choice up there or know how to develop players from those picks.

Showing they could find McDaniels where they did,..that tells me this team was one player choice away from having a team this season to make a playoff run with . One trade of the #1 overall for a starting capable PF would have sent this team to the playoffs this year. They were one move, one single choice away from having a good set of starters and nice developing heady set of players off bench. Instead...we gotta blow the whole thing up now and start over.


Last years draft class was deep there will
be no McDaniels late in the first round this class.
Also every single opponents fanbase thinks Ant will be great except this **** fanbase with people like jeedzz wintolose...


His defensive awareness is atrocious, but he checks all the boxes as a future offensive star in this league. I'm not worried about his shot falling because it is the most trainable skill for a basketball player, but you can't teach his ambidexterity, his physicality and his athleticism at the rim..he looks like a baby Zion when he takes it in
2021 Wolves will make the playoffs
Neeva
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,108
And1: 1,324
Joined: Jun 03, 2016

Re: 2021 Draft thread 

Post#213 » by Neeva » Thu Apr 1, 2021 7:58 am

For me

1. Jalen Green (it is not even close) He is an elite athlete that also has elite shooting potential including being a great free throw shooter, you don’t pass that up! Future perennial all star.

2. Jalen Suggs, smart team captain and possible all star but will probably be a 3rd scoring option on a playoff team. I see Lamelo Ball without the circus family or douchey personality. if he had Green’s athleticism or was a better three point shooter he would be unquestionably number one.

3. Cade Cunningham , He is like a jack of all trades master of none. I think he will make an all star game a couple of times (especially on a team in the east)

4. Evan Mobley I like his defensive potential but his passiveness offensively and his quiet personality are red flags. I just see a better Ayton.

5. Kuminga/Barnes I see possible bust potential here. Barnes is a horrible three point and free throw shooter, and Kuminga is as well but at least he can rebound.


Fyi Suggs, Barnes and Mobley are older than Ant and Cunningham is just a few months younger.
Norseman79
Rookie
Posts: 1,089
And1: 353
Joined: Jul 26, 2017
     

Re: 2021 Draft thread 

Post#214 » by Norseman79 » Thu Apr 1, 2021 12:11 pm

ChiefKeith91 wrote:
Norseman79 wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
I know many of you keep saying that, as if saying it more means anything to me. Just like me telling you it doesn't really means squat to you all the same. But that's beside the point. I don't care about Dlo. I was talking about Ant being here because he's the point guard now whether any of us like it or not. Talking about drafting another point guard is a waste. Ant is going to walk it up. Ant is going to wait under the basket for every ball that drops or wait for Towns to hand it too him to walk it up. Ant is going to decide whether he wants to take a shot while he dribbles for a while and if he decides to pass...then he will. That's what he's shown us, that's what the coach and Towns have shown us they are fine with and that reality already encompasses his whole head. Therefore if you want a three AND d guy, then go get another taller off ball guard or forward. Stop drafting tiny point guards that are going to be sent in the corner to wait for a ball. It won't matter if they are edgy like Beverly, he's still going to watch, not play point guard. They won't have the size for slashing or second chance rebounds they'll need to ever even touch a ball, they will end up just like JMac and Rubio standing around waiing for Ant or Towns to feel like passing. That's all there is anymore. That's just the reality of Rosas choices now. So, Aim for Kawhi size with two way shooting and defense skills already in the bank. That should narrow it down enough to find something useful.


I can completely understand and appreciate your view on this. I am not sure how much of this is trying to develop Ant vs him playing a role for now. I mean, really, Ant is the only player who can create much off the dribble (it's a work in progress). I would still take Suggs, 6'4 and 210 isn't small and, if I remember, he actually shoots quite well for spot ups, meaning I could see him playing with Any and not needing the ball in his hands at all times, plus playing on the other teams best guard while Mcdaniels locks up the best forward.

Jedzz, I may not agree with some of your takes, but I can appreciate your big picture concepts. If they do see Ant as the PG, I start hunting for big 3 and D wings like you said...and then, turn them loose.

Suggs might not be CP3 small but he’s Morant size without the athleticism. People are labeling him athletic but he’s not explosives like Rose or Westbrook so he won’t be dunking in game very often which will make it harder against NBA length. And he shoots 32% from 3 in college so that worries me a lot because those percentages normally drop as you transition to the NBA.

I agree with Jeddz drafting a PG would be idiotic if Ant has the keys to this vehicle moving forward. It’ll almost be like Ant is Lebron who handles the ball most of the time and any PG he plays with becomes a spot up shooter or only runs point when he’s not in the game. That is not worth a Top 3 draft choice, go get your lengthy defender who doesn’t need the ball to be productive


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app


Morant is 180lbs...Suggs is 205...they are not the same size. You want to compare Suggs, try a more athletic Jrue Holiday...as a floor. As for his athleticism, don't confuse doesn't use it with doesn't have it. I pray there is a combine this year, Suggs numbers will speak for themselves.
TheZachAttack
Rookie
Posts: 1,032
And1: 750
Joined: Jul 23, 2014
       

Re: 2021 Draft thread 

Post#215 » by TheZachAttack » Thu Apr 1, 2021 1:49 pm

Norseman79 wrote:1. Green SG
2. Suggs PG
3. Cade SF
4. Barnes PF
5. Mobley C

If they see Ant as a 2 and Mcdaniels as a 3, get Suggs and Barnes. Build it right.


I mean for better or for worse D Lo is on the team and playing large minutes at the 1 for at least the next 2 seasons. Again, argue about it all you want but the Wolves will have to attach assets to move D Lo. The Wolves are not going to attach a pick or another asset to move D Lo knowing that they have to give up their FRP either this offseason or the next. That's not to mention Rubio's roster spot, though it is more short term. Even Beasley is more of a 2 than a 3.

I'm not sure that adding another "guard" on this roster is "building it right" at all. The team needs more wings. Period.
Norseman79
Rookie
Posts: 1,089
And1: 353
Joined: Jul 26, 2017
     

Re: 2021 Draft thread 

Post#216 » by Norseman79 » Thu Apr 1, 2021 2:00 pm

PF options in this draft, who do you guys like?

1. Barnes - shooting concerns...but everything else is gravy. 6'9 230, 7'2 wingspan, Simmons/Draymond type of player. If shooting can be respectable, he is a perfect pairing.

2. Isiah Todd - G-league guy...reminds me a ton of Chris Bosh, only right handed. He has the typical concerns as a 19 year old, but checks boxes.

Honestly, those are the only two I really see in that 6'9+ 200lb+ category.

I consider Mobley a C due to lateral quickness issues, and Jones from Texas because of handle issues.

In theory, if we do not blow up the roster and lose our pick, but look to move around a get pick in the 5-15 range, these are guys I would look at.

DLo
Ant
Mcdaniels
Barnes/Todd
Kat

If DLo is indeed willing to play off ball and bring defense is a real nice starting 5. (Again, assuming we don't pull the pin on DLo and Kat)
TheZachAttack
Rookie
Posts: 1,032
And1: 750
Joined: Jul 23, 2014
       

Re: 2021 Draft thread 

Post#217 » by TheZachAttack » Thu Apr 1, 2021 2:09 pm

Mattya wrote:I don’t get the idea that we shouldn’t draft a guard because Edwards is handling the ball a lot like Lebron. Are we going to ignore that Lebron has won a championship with Kyrie and the Lakers look incredible with Schroeder. There are better reasons for the Wolves to draft a different player.


To me, the only real reason to look elsewhere from Cade is that he cannot get all the way to the rim. His offensive game is very D Lo esque. He's an insane shotmaker with flashy vision, but he relies on hitting lots of contested jumpers.

Now, he also seems like he can play defense at an above average level and that skillset looks a little bit different from the wing position versus a guard like D Lo who is a bottom 10 percentile NBA defender.

However, at what point do you run into problems if Ant is your only regular rotation player that can really penetrate and collapse a defense and isn't reliant on his jumper and shotmaking to score? (Though with that being said Ant despite his physical gifts does rely on his jumper quite a bit).
Norseman79
Rookie
Posts: 1,089
And1: 353
Joined: Jul 26, 2017
     

Re: 2021 Draft thread 

Post#218 » by Norseman79 » Thu Apr 1, 2021 2:11 pm

TheZachAttack wrote:
Norseman79 wrote:1. Green SG
2. Suggs PG
3. Cade SF
4. Barnes PF
5. Mobley C

If they see Ant as a 2 and Mcdaniels as a 3, get Suggs and Barnes. Build it right.


I mean for better or for worse D Lo is on the team and playing large minutes at the 1 for at least the next 2 seasons. Again, argue about it all you want but the Wolves will have to attach assets to move D Lo. The Wolves are not going to attach a pick or another asset to move D Lo knowing that they have to give up their FRP either this offseason or the next. That's not to mention Rubio's roster spot, though it is more short term. Even Beasley is more of a 2 than a 3.

I'm not sure that adding another "guard" on this roster is "building it right" at all. The team needs more wings. Period.


Which is interesting because multiple sites had DLo as a traceable asset not expense.

My ranking was top 5 players and the position I see them playing. I agree if they plan to keep DLo and Rubio, the Suggs pick is foolish. Honestly, if that is the route they go, I would almost rather lose the pick this year. See what they actually have next year, and then blow it up. But it goes back to what Rosas and Finch plan on doing. For all we know, Rosas was directed to get DLo...he and Finch may not want him at all.
TheZachAttack
Rookie
Posts: 1,032
And1: 750
Joined: Jul 23, 2014
       

Re: 2021 Draft thread 

Post#219 » by TheZachAttack » Thu Apr 1, 2021 2:17 pm

Norseman79 wrote:
TheZachAttack wrote:
Norseman79 wrote:1. Green SG
2. Suggs PG
3. Cade SF
4. Barnes PF
5. Mobley C

If they see Ant as a 2 and Mcdaniels as a 3, get Suggs and Barnes. Build it right.


I mean for better or for worse D Lo is on the team and playing large minutes at the 1 for at least the next 2 seasons. Again, argue about it all you want but the Wolves will have to attach assets to move D Lo. The Wolves are not going to attach a pick or another asset to move D Lo knowing that they have to give up their FRP either this offseason or the next. That's not to mention Rubio's roster spot, though it is more short term. Even Beasley is more of a 2 than a 3.

I'm not sure that adding another "guard" on this roster is "building it right" at all. The team needs more wings. Period.


Which is interesting because multiple sites had DLo as a traceable asset not expense.

My ranking was top 5 players and the position I see them playing. I agree if they plan to keep DLo and Rubio, the Suggs pick is foolish. Honestly, if that is the route they go, I would almost rather lose the pick this year. See what they actually have next year, and then blow it up. But it goes back to what Rosas and Finch plan on doing. For all we know, Rosas was directed to get DLo...he and Finch may not want him at all.


That's fair. I think that D Lo's value league-wide is likely at a low right now, to some degree even unfairly. I think you have to attach an asset to move him, but that assumption might be wrong. I guess it could be possible to move him for a similar "badish" contract to your point.

I think that I would rather keep the pick this year for the reason that I think the Wolves, assuming they are healthy next year, are more of like a 10ish pick team versus 1 overall pick team.
Norseman79
Rookie
Posts: 1,089
And1: 353
Joined: Jul 26, 2017
     

Re: 2021 Draft thread 

Post#220 » by Norseman79 » Thu Apr 1, 2021 2:32 pm

TheZachAttack wrote:
Norseman79 wrote:
TheZachAttack wrote:
I mean for better or for worse D Lo is on the team and playing large minutes at the 1 for at least the next 2 seasons. Again, argue about it all you want but the Wolves will have to attach assets to move D Lo. The Wolves are not going to attach a pick or another asset to move D Lo knowing that they have to give up their FRP either this offseason or the next. That's not to mention Rubio's roster spot, though it is more short term. Even Beasley is more of a 2 than a 3.

I'm not sure that adding another "guard" on this roster is "building it right" at all. The team needs more wings. Period.


Which is interesting because multiple sites had DLo as a traceable asset not expense.

My ranking was top 5 players and the position I see them playing. I agree if they plan to keep DLo and Rubio, the Suggs pick is foolish. Honestly, if that is the route they go, I would almost rather lose the pick this year. See what they actually have next year, and then blow it up. But it goes back to what Rosas and Finch plan on doing. For all we know, Rosas was directed to get DLo...he and Finch may not want him at all.


That's fair. I think that D Lo's value league-wide is likely at a low right now, to some degree even unfairly. I think you have to attach an asset to move him, but that assumption might be wrong. I guess it could be possible to move him for a similar "badish" contract to your point.

I think that I would rather keep the pick this year for the reason that I think the Wolves, assuming they are healthy next year, are more of like a 10ish pick team versus 1 overall pick team.


I can understand that thinking. However, I don't think they're good enough to be what they want to be even if they are healthy. I think it's a poorly constructed roster, I think the key players are injury prone and not good fits, and I do not think they have nearly enough two-way players to actually compete against good teams. The reason why I would rather lose the pic this year and keep it next year is because I actually believe that if they don't blow it up this year they will be next year. That is honestly about how much faith I have and Kat and Dlo. Now if McDaniels or Edwards turn into superstars, then it's obviously a different discussion. That happening however is not super likely, possible but not likely.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves