ImageImageImage

2021 Draft thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,169

Re: 2021 Draft thread 

Post#61 » by Neeva » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:47 pm

So do we have anything other than towns to get us another top 5 pick this year cause Jalen Green is looking good to me as well..
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,588

Post#62 » by jpatrick » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:22 pm

Neeva wrote:So do we have anything other than towns to get us another top 5 pick this year cause Jalen Green is looking good to me as well..

No. The top five this year is considered especially strong. I don’t even think Edwards could get you a top five pick right now.
Norseman79
Sixth Man
And1: 561

Post#63 » by Norseman79 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:27 pm

Hmmm

Kat = 1 overall and multiple assets/picks
DLo= maybe a top 10 protected 1rst, likely a lotto protected 1.
Beasley = see DLo
Rubio = low 1rst or mid to low second.
Culver, Okoge, Nowell, Reid = maybe avery low 1, likely a 2nd.
Juancho, Layman, Vando = mid-low 2nds

Edwards and Mcdaniels to me are top 5 protected = they aren't that good, but their potential is, that is why they are unlikely to be moved unless part of a star type of deal.

So honestly, if you want another top 3 without giving up Kat you are going to probably need a mid 1 for DLo and to combine that with Beasley, plus future assets.

And I admit looked at this with homer glasses on)
TwolvesFanRome
Bench Warmer
And1: 555

Post#64 » by TwolvesFanRome » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:21 am

I ask to you to write best/worst comparison about:

Cunningham
Suggs
Mobley
Kuminga
Green

I really like this type of projection but I don t follow these guys!
"...I want to compliment him, we all expected that he would take up the game, we have prepared the plan race on him, we have doubled. And, as usual, he did what he wanted..."

Zelimir Obradovic, talking about Dejan Bodiroga
Norseman79
Sixth Man

Post#65 » by Norseman79 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:41 pm

TwolvesFanRome wrote:I ask to you to write best/worst comparison about:

Cunningham
Suggs
Mobley
Kuminga
Green

I will do my best, though I admittedly haven't followed the upcoming draft as much as I would on normal years. Meaning my independent research on guys like Kuminga and Green isn't as much as I have been reading, watching, and digging up stuff on Cade and Jalen...Mobley is in the middle for me.

So, my personal ceiling/floor type of comparisons for the players you listed (the obvious floor for any of them is a bust and out of the league, there is never a can't miss)

Cunningham - many consider a PG, I consider a point forward (meaning I would play him at the 3 but allow him to handle and initiate). Ceiling - a better shooting, less physically blessed Ben Simmons. Simply put, can do it all on both , the kid is a great all around basketball player with knowledge and ability on both ends. Floor - a shorter, more engaged Lamar Odom - again, that is a pretty decent floor, but nothing in Cade's game screams boom or bust. Honestly, schematically he is the perfect fit for the Wolves at the 3 position with our current roster.

Jalen Suggs - a true point guard who can play off ball. Ceiling- ok, here we go, a more athletic, better defensive Deron Williams. Floor - a more athletic Andre Miller. There is a popular comparison out there as a bigger Chauncey Billions, and while I think that speaks to Suggs as a leader, I think it undersells his basketball ability. Size, check. Athletic ability, check. Basketball iq, check. Heart, check. Team player, check. Many people forget, or don't know, that Suggs was a highly ranked qb prospect as well - this kid oozes leadership and ability. Our current roster may not need him (unless we do some trading) so current fit is sketchy, but I rate him as 1b to Cunningham's 1a.

Mobely - a dark horse for 1 overall. Don't sleep on 7' of crazy ability. I see as a PF due to build, some are suggesting C. Ceiling - a more athletic, less beefy L.Aldridge with better range and handle. Floor - here is an interesting comparison, a healthy Jonathan Bender. Again, if any of you remember Bender, that is a pretty high floor. Reason being is if Mobley stays healthy,at the very least he should be a legit 3 and D PF who can run the floor and handle a bit. Again, actually another decent fit depending on how we handle current roster. I actually see him as a better fit than Suggs if we insist on continuing with DLo.

This is wear my deep diving stops and my light scouting kicks in

Kuminga - from a physical specimen standpoint, it is hard to build a better small forward prospect as he screams Leonard. However, that's not what he is. His basketball iq isn't super high, his skills fluctuate, and his instincts seem ok. That isn't to say he couldn't turn into the best player out of this draft, but he might have the most to unlock for it to happen. Ceiling - a big Jaylon Brown. Floor - any physically blessed, elite athletic forward who looks good from time to time but never puts it fully together. **Kid does have a major motor though.

Green - Sleeper number 1 overall - unless the Wolves get the 1. I didn't bother much with Green because, honestly, I would be shocked if the Wolves took him over others, maybe not Suggs. Ceiling - best scoring guard in current NBA/hof level. Floor - Rip Hamilton minus the defense. If Edwards was a legit 3, or if we didn't have such a glut of guards I would see us leaning toward him. If I were an expansion team, he would be my number 1 overall pick. He is a walking highlight/bucket.
TwolvesFanRome
Bench Warmer

Post#66 » by TwolvesFanRome » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:29 pm

Norseman79 wrote:
TwolvesFanRome wrote:I ask to you to write best/worst comparison about:

Cunningham
Suggs
Mobley
Kuminga
Green

I will do my best, though I admittedly haven't followed the upcoming draft as much as I would on normal years. Meaning my independent research on guys like Kuminga and Green isn't as much as I have been reading, watching, and digging up stuff on Cade and Jalen...Mobley is in the middle for me.

So, my personal ceiling/floor type of comparisons for the players you listed (the obvious floor for any of them is a bust and out of the league, there is never a can't miss)

Cunningham - many consider a PG, I consider a point forward (meaning I would play him at the 3 but allow him to handle and initiate). Ceiling - a better shooting, less physically blessed Ben Simmons. Simply put, can do it all on both , the kid is a great all around basketball player with knowledge and ability on both ends. Floor - a shorter, more engaged Lamar Odom - again, that is a pretty decent floor, but nothing in Cade's game screams boom or bust. Honestly, schematically he is the perfect fit for the Wolves at the 3 position with our current roster.

Jalen Suggs - a true point guard who can play off ball. Ceiling- ok, here we go, a more athletic, better defensive Deron Williams. Floor - a more athletic Andre Miller. There is a popular comparison out there as a bigger Chauncey Billions, and while I think that speaks to Suggs as a leader, I think it undersells his basketball ability. Size, check. Athletic ability, check. Basketball iq, check. Heart, check. Team player, check. Many people forget, or don't know, that Suggs was a highly ranked qb prospect as well - this kid oozes leadership and ability. Our current roster may not need him (unless we do some trading) so current fit is sketchy, but I rate him as 1b to Cunningham's 1a.

Mobely - a dark horse for 1 overall. Don't sleep on 7' of crazy ability. I see as a PF due to build, some are suggesting C. Ceiling - a more athletic, less beefy L.Aldridge with better range and handle. Floor - here is an interesting comparison, a healthy Jonathan Bender. Again, if any of you remember Bender, that is a pretty high floor. Reason being is if Mobley stays healthy,at the very least he should be a legit 3 and D PF who can run the floor and handle a bit. Again, actually another decent fit depending on how we handle current roster. I actually see him as a better fit than Suggs if we insist on continuing with DLo.

This is wear my deep diving stops and my light scouting kicks in

Kuminga - from a physical specimen standpoint, it is hard to build a better small forward prospect as he screams Leonard. However, that's not what he is. His basketball iq isn't super high, his skills fluctuate, and his instincts seem ok. That isn't to say he couldn't turn into the best player out of this draft, but he might have the most to unlock for it to happen. Ceiling - a big Jaylon Brown. Floor - any physically blessed, elite athletic forward who looks good from time to time but never puts it fully together. **Kid does have a major motor though.

Green - Sleeper number 1 overall - unless the Wolves get the 1. I didn't bother much with Green because, honestly, I would be shocked if the Wolves took him over others, maybe not Suggs. Ceiling - best scoring guard in current NBA/hof level. Floor - Rip Hamilton minus the defense. If Edwards was a legit 3, or if we didn't have such a glut of guards I would see us leaning toward him. If I were an expansion team, he would be my number 1 overall pick. He is a walking highlight/bucket.

Nice Accurate and Interesting post Norseman!!

Thank you !
"...I want to compliment him, we all expected that he would take up the game, we have prepared the plan race on him, we have doubled. And, as usual, he did what he wanted..."

Neeva
Head Coach

Post#67 » by Neeva » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:37 pm

I really like Suggs but feel like Cunningham and Green both will be bigger nba “names” and stars. Suggs will be solid as well. I would not let Ant and Beasley stop me from drafting Green tbh.
Norseman79
Sixth Man

Post#68 » by Norseman79 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:30 pm

Neeva wrote:I really like Suggs but feel like Cunningham and Green both will be bigger nba “names” and stars. Suggs will be solid as well. I would not let Ant and Beasley stop me from drafting Green tbh.

Green isn't without his warts. He is very slight, and while uber competitive, doesn't seem to like contact from the games I did watch. He is uber quick, and if is a legit 6'6-6'7 he could come in as a 3. But the defense is sketchy and how will the body hold up. His comparison to Eddie Jones is very fitting physically.

Honestly, I wouldn't let anyone on this team stop me from drafting anyone period. However, I don't run the team, so I am guessing with the rest of you.
ClarkeW
Sophomore
And1: 54

Post#69 » by ClarkeW » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:24 pm

How do people feel about a possible fit between Evan Mobley & KAT? I know a lot of people were in on the “twin towers” concept with Wiseman at first overall last year. I want to hear from you guys. Do you see the same thing with Mobley? Or are players like Cunningham or Suggs giving you other ideas?

While personally I think Cunningham is almost a perfect fit for us at SF, I think I would take Mobley second. I love what he brings to the table as a big. Particularly the passing. Having two big talented and willing passers like KAT and Mobley out there at the same time could unlock a ton of mismatches with the right shooters around them. And Mobley doesn’t project to be a slouch on defense either.
Neeva
Head Coach

Post#70 » by Neeva » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:57 pm

I’d be ecstatic with Mobley he is ALOT better than Wiseman.

I’d actually be happy with any of Suggs, Cunningham, Mobley, Kuminga or Green, totally different with last draft where I would only be happy with Edwards or Ball.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,583

Post#71 » by Klomp » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:16 pm

ClarkeW wrote:How do people feel about a possible fit between Evan Mobley & KAT? I know a lot of people were in on the “twin towers” concept with Wiseman at first overall last year. I want to hear from you guys. Do you see the same thing with Mobley? Or are players like Cunningham or Suggs giving you other ideas?

While personally I think Cunningham is almost a perfect fit for us at SF, I think I would take Mobley second. I love what he brings to the table as a big. Particularly the passing. Having two big talented and willing passers like KAT and Mobley out there at the same time could unlock a ton of mismatches with the right shooters around them. And Mobley doesn’t project to be a slouch on defense either.

Not only is Mobley a better fit next to Towns than Wiseman, but the coaching change gives me much more confidence we could use both effectively. Still not sure he's 1st or even 2nd on my board though.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Neeva
Head Coach

Post#72 » by Neeva » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:46 pm

Can Jalen Green and Ant co exist?

I have a feeling the wolves will get the third pick and have to choose between ultra athletic SG/SF Green and high basketball IQ playmaking PG Suggs. Ant vs Lamelo again.
Norseman79
Sixth Man

Post#73 » by Norseman79 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:48 pm

Neeva wrote:Can Jalen Green and Ant co exist?

I have a feeling the wolves will get the third pick and have to choose between ultra athletic SG/SF Green and high basketball IQ playmaking PG Suggs. Ant vs Lamelo again.

I am sure they could, but I am telling you, if they get 3 and Suggs is there....no brainer. Green could be special, so could Suggs. I see Suggs as a better fit with Edwards and Towns, than Green. I said before, and now I have watched more of Green, that kid is gifted offensively...but defensively there is a bit to go...and he needs some weight. Suggs just screams All-Nba point guard, average a triple double, all nba defensive team, 90/50/40 type of player - to me anyway.
TwolvesFanRome
Bench Warmer

Post#74 » by TwolvesFanRome » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:36 pm

At the end of the game: who is the best player in the draft? The real #1 and the the real future all star??

Norseman79
Sixth Man

Post#75 » by Norseman79 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:56 pm

TwolvesFanRome wrote:At the end of the game: who is the best player in the draft? The real #1 and the the real future all star??

There are multiple possibilities from guys like Cunningham and Suggs to others like Barnes and Kai Jones
Neeva
Head Coach

Post#76 » by Neeva » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:24 pm

Green, Cunningham, Suggs are sure things and future all
stars. Jalen Green has super star potential. Cunningham is playing like ass in the ncaa tournament so far though.
TwolvesFanRome
Bench Warmer

Post#77 » by TwolvesFanRome » Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:20 pm

Neeva wrote:Green, Cunningham, Suggs are sure things and future all
stars. Jalen Green has super star potential. Cunningham is playing like ass in the ncaa tournament so far though.

"Like Ass" means good or bad?

jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,588

Post#78 » by jpatrick » Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:37 pm

Tier 1: Cunningham
Tier 2: Mobley, Green, Suggs
Tier 3: Kuminga
Drop off.

But those three tiers are really close. Kuminga is the rawest, thus tier 3, but had great athleticism, body, and some skills. He could end up being the best of the bunch.

Cunningham isn’t a Lebron generation talent but he is a jumbo initiator that would fit us nicely because he could easily guard SF and has a good jumper.

Green may be Kobe. Scored so well in the G-League. Don’t know if he could co-exist with Ant as their both volume shooters/scorers.

Love Suggs all around game. Helps that he plays with so much talent at Gonzaga but does a lot of the little things that help you win.

Mobley seems like a 7 foot Bosh (at Ga Tech, not Miami Heat). Favorite to go second. Definitely fit better with Towns than Wiseman. Still don’t think this is the direction Finch/Rosas want to go with the PF position.
jscott
Veteran
And1: 916

Post#79 » by jscott » Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:37 pm

TwolvesFanRome wrote:
Neeva wrote:Green, Cunningham, Suggs are sure things and future all

"Like Ass" means good or bad?

bad/poorly
Neeva
Head Coach

Post#80 » by Neeva » Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:56 pm

Cunningham needs to play better tomorrow.
Mobley is definitely better than Wiseman but that’s not saying much. Mobley is not agressive enough, kind of a passive player.

Out of the top 5 Mobley and Kuminga are the ones with bust/underwhelming potential.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves