ImageImageImage

Trade Talk (Part Six)

Moderators: Domejandro, Calinks, Worm Guts

NebWolvesFan
Junior
Posts: 355
And1: 151
Joined: Jul 09, 2017
       

Re: Trade Talk (Part Six) 

Post#1401 » by NebWolvesFan » Thu Apr 1, 2021 8:53 pm

I don't think anyone has discussed this, but I wonder if Minnesota wanted to buy out Rubio, I wonder how much money Ricky would give back to be a free agent early. If he gave back 4 million, Minnesota might be able to get under the tax enough to sign their draft pick and two undrafted FAs. That way they can get under the tax and not give up any future draft compensation. If Minnesota bought him out this summer, I bet Ricky could get 4 million from another team.
ChiefKeith91
Sophomore
Posts: 138
And1: 43
Joined: Nov 13, 2020
     

Re: Trade Talk (Part Six) 

Post#1402 » by ChiefKeith91 » Thu Apr 1, 2021 10:32 pm

ClarkeW wrote:The fact that OKC has shut Horford down for the year has me thinking about an idea I had a bit before the trade deadline. Namely, acquiring Horford for a package containing Rubio & Culver.

WHY FOR THUNDER
Team is rebuilding and Horford is clearly not in their plans. Culver gives them a wing prospect to take a chance on and Rubio is an expiring contract they may be able to flip for another prospect and/or a second round pick. Could even make it a three way trade with a Raptors/Bulls/Pels type team and ship Rubio directly there with another small asset going to OKC or T-Wolves. If it’s just a straight MIN/OKC trade I could actually see us sending Rubio & Culver for Horford and one of OKC’s many future first rounders.

WHY FOR T-WOLVES
Horford provides stability to PF/backup C position for next year or two. A veteran presence for the locker room that has an existing relationship with KAT. Has two years on his contract but second year is not fully guaranteed. Can be moved as an expiring after one year or if things are still a dumpster fire after two years both he & D’Lo’s contracts are done at the same time and we go full rebuild again with lots of cap space.

Ideally we’d retain our first this year and use it on Mobley in this situation. Mobley could get up to speed and eventually take starting position from Horford sometime during his rookie season. Horford would be a good mentor for Mobley for a year or two as well, not to mention Naz Reid.

A front court consisting of KAT/Horford/Mobley/Reid would be a huge improvement over what we have now. Combine that with D’Lo/ANT/Beasley/McDaniels and we’re one or two bench pieces away from a squad I feel could legitimately compete for a playoff spot.

y

The thought of paying a 36 y/o 27 mil is frightening to me. If he gets bought out then maybe its an option and still why would he choose us over a contender. He would best fit back in Boston.
Jedzz
RealGM
Posts: 12,322
And1: 2,503
Joined: Oct 05, 2018

Re: Trade Talk (Part Six) 

Post#1403 » by Jedzz » Fri Apr 2, 2021 12:34 am

Wolveswin wrote:
Klomp wrote:
ChiefKeith91 wrote:Besides this being a horrible idea, you can’t trade your FRP 3 years in a row lol. I’m sure 2k wouldn’t even allow that

This actually is legal. Doing it on draft night (not official until after the draft) frees up the 2022 pick to be dealt no problem, and 2023 is a pick swap so they're not breaking the Stepien rule by losing a pick that year.

This trade saves Wolves 10M. For the Westbrook buyout, could they do more year 1 than year two?

For example, he is owed 91M over two years, Wolves pay him 54M 2021/2022 and discounted final payment of 25-30M’ish.

You would think Westbrook to get out of Minnesota rebuild situation and ring chase, he would leave at least 10M behind. If so, 10M saved during trade and 10M saved in buyout + 62M Russell contract outgoing, Wolves actually come out financially similar — but get the Avdija for Hernangomez swap for their troubles (and don’t have to witness Russell or Westbrook infecting their youth rebuild).


I must have missed the trade idea post. You want to take in Westbrook, just to help buy him out, and just to get rid of Dlo, because you think they would be infecting the team's youth? I hope they infect them with something that helps make them more consistent shooters. We need somene to teach these guys how to show up more.

I honestly can't remember the last time a 20ppg player got his much hate. The amazing part is most of the same haters want to latch themselves to a worse percentage shooter who also doesn't have a D bone in him. Dlo must have infected him already. Is that it?
ChiefKeith91
Sophomore
Posts: 138
And1: 43
Joined: Nov 13, 2020
     

Re: Trade Talk (Part Six) 

Post#1404 » by ChiefKeith91 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:07 pm

Dane Moore suggested a trade for Myles Turner in the off-season

Turner

For

Rubio
2025 FRP
Balmaro or Naz

I’d do that trade in a heartbeat. A rim protector is harder to find rather than fixing your perimeter defense (Going under or over screens)


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
SmokeyPaw
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,975
And1: 1,034
Joined: May 14, 2016
 

Re: Trade Talk (Part Six) 

Post#1405 » by SmokeyPaw » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:52 pm

ChiefKeith91 wrote:Dane Moore suggested a trade for Myles Turner in the off-season

Turner

For

Rubio
2025 FRP
Balmaro or Naz

I’d do that trade in a heartbeat. A rim protector is harder to find rather than fixing your perimeter defense (Going under or over screens)


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app


I'd do it in a heartbeat too. But the offer really undervalues turner. Not sure what Dane's been sipping.
User avatar
karch34
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,231
And1: 485
Joined: Jul 05, 2001
Location: Valley of the Sun
     

Re: Trade Talk (Part Six) 

Post#1406 » by karch34 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:13 pm

Think it was trying to compare Gordon deal with Rubio similar to Harris (expiring and they were previously interested in Rubio) and Jaden being picked around Hampton spot being preferred, but maybe Balmoro or Reid could be there instead with MN 2025 being better pick than Denver. I'd do the Balmoro or Naz in a heartbeat, but not sure why Indy would. Though I thought they tried pretty hard to move Turner this last offseason.
MN7725
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,824
And1: 618
Joined: Jun 19, 2017

Re: Trade Talk (Part Six) 

Post#1407 » by MN7725 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:43 pm

karch34 wrote:Think it was trying to compare Gordon deal with Rubio similar to Harris (expiring and they were previously interested in Rubio) and Jaden being picked around Hampton spot being preferred, but maybe Balmoro or Reid could be there instead with MN 2025 being better pick than Denver. I'd do the Balmoro or Naz in a heartbeat, but not sure why Indy would. Though I thought they tried pretty hard to move Turner this last offseason.


I think it was to try to get Gordon Hayward
jpatrick
Analyst
Posts: 3,194
And1: 949
Joined: May 30, 2007
 

Re: Trade Talk (Part Six) 

Post#1408 » by jpatrick » Thu Apr 8, 2021 6:21 pm

If we are going to stick with horrible perimeter defenders like Beasley, Ant, and DLo, I’m 100% on board with going after an elite rim protector. I think Indy would get more than that offer though.

I wouldn’t trade a top three pick in this draft. I would make Ant, KAT, and McDaniels unavailable, but everyone else would be up for discussion in a Turner trade.
shrink
RealGM
Posts: 46,226
And1: 6,485
Joined: Sep 26, 2005

Re: Trade Talk (Part Six) 

Post#1409 » by shrink » Fri Apr 9, 2021 4:04 am

SmokeyPaw wrote:
ChiefKeith91 wrote:Dane Moore suggested a trade for Myles Turner in the off-season

Turner

For

Rubio
2025 FRP
Balmaro or Naz

I’d do that trade in a heartbeat. A rim protector is harder to find rather than fixing your perimeter defense (Going under or over screens)


I'd do it in a heartbeat too. But the offer really undervalues turner. Not sure what Dane's been sipping.

I agree. If I recall, he was in favor of bringing in Myles Turner last year. KAT at PF helps this make more sense.

I have Turner worth more than Aaron Gordon. I also think the deal makes more sense with Malik Beasley going to a third team, and removing the future 1st. I wouldn’t include McDaniels.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Posts: 43,039
And1: 10,026
Joined: Mar 29, 2006
   

Re: Trade Talk (Part Six) 

Post#1410 » by Calinks » Fri Apr 9, 2021 4:06 am

ChiefKeith91 wrote:Dane Moore suggested a trade for Myles Turner in the off-season

Turner

For

Rubio
2025 FRP
Balmaro or Naz

I’d do that trade in a heartbeat. A rim protector is harder to find rather than fixing your perimeter defense (Going under or over screens)


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app


That would be a dream. I'd howl at the moon if we got Turner for that, Turner would be a BEAST here next to KAT. Defense would go way up, even if you get by the perimeter you would be scared to contend with KAT and Turner inside, would be a big problem.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
User avatar
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
Posts: 23,657
And1: 2,836
Joined: Jul 29, 2008
Location: Frankfurt
 

Re: Trade Talk (Part Six) 

Post#1412 » by Foye » Fri Apr 9, 2021 10:19 am

Note30 wrote:https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.nbaanalysis.net/2021/03/30/timberwolves-to-put-karl-anthony-towns-dangelo-russell-on-trade-block/&ved=2ahUKEwjvpeO0t_DvAhVCKn0KHcQ_CXEQFjAAegQIAxAC&usg=AOvVaw2ouIlrxY-CgioABTig7j7K


That would be a classic Wolves move. Selling Towns while his value is at all-time low. :lol: :lol: :lol:
And meanwhile trade another future first or two just to get rid of D-Lo's contract further shooting themselves in the own foot.

The time to trade Towns was a year ago. Now you are getting 80 cents for a dollar.
Now is the time to figure things out. Getting a rim protector and moving Towns to the PF spot is what needs to be done ASAP.
Can still trade Towns at 75 cents for a dollar in a year if things did not work out.

Heck even a scrub like Willie Cauley-Stein would already represent an improvement for the Wolves interior defense.
Wolveswin
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,338
And1: 380
Joined: Aug 22, 2020
 

Re: Trade Talk (Part Six) 

Post#1413 » by Wolveswin » Fri Apr 9, 2021 11:09 am

What about Isaac? Magic are in full tear down mode.

To consider, we have to assume he proves repaired and healthy. Magic wouldn’t want to move him for an injured discount — if so just keep him. But regardless he is at a depressed value.

Rubio + Edwards
FOR
Isaac + Ross + 2021 Bulls 1st

Towns
Isaac
McDaniels | Ross
Beasley
Russell
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Posts: 24,004
And1: 8,180
Joined: Dec 27, 2003
     

Re: Trade Talk (Part Six) 

Post#1414 » by Worm Guts » Fri Apr 9, 2021 12:11 pm

Wolveswin wrote:What about Isaac? Magic are in full tear down mode.

To consider, we have to assume he proves repaired and healthy. Magic wouldn’t want to move him for an injured discount — if so just keep him. But regardless he is at a depressed value.

Rubio + Edwards
FOR
Isaac + Ross + 2021 Bulls 1st

Towns
Isaac
McDaniels | Ross
Beasley
Russell


I don't expect Edwards to be on the block, but if he is, trading him for a guy coming off an ACL tear might defeat the purpose of what you're trying to accomplish.
shrink
RealGM
Posts: 46,226
And1: 6,485
Joined: Sep 26, 2005

Re: Trade Talk (Part Six) 

Post#1415 » by shrink » Fri Apr 9, 2021 1:18 pm

Note30 wrote:https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.nbaanalysis.net/2021/03/30/timberwolves-to-put-karl-anthony-towns-dangelo-russell-on-trade-block/&ved=2ahUKEwjvpeO0t_DvAhVCKn0KHcQ_CXEQFjAAegQIAxAC&usg=AOvVaw2ouIlrxY-CgioABTig7j7K

Don’t follow this site.

Last month they had an article about trading Towns because the “KAT-DLo pairing hasn’t worked out.” They pointed to the Wolves overall record, and didn’t even realize the pairing had only paired five games together.

Great analysis, nbaanalysis.net!
NebWolvesFan
Junior
Posts: 355
And1: 151
Joined: Jul 09, 2017
       

Re: Trade Talk (Part Six) 

Post#1416 » by NebWolvesFan » Fri Apr 9, 2021 2:57 pm

While I do think it's unlikely that Russell or Towns get traded this offseason, if Minnesota gets Suggs or Cunningham, you would have to think one of Russell or Beasley gets traded. If Minnesota wins the lottery (which I think is still not likely), things could get crazy.
Jedzz
RealGM
Posts: 12,322
And1: 2,503
Joined: Oct 05, 2018

Re: Trade Talk (Part Six) 

Post#1417 » by Jedzz » Fri Apr 9, 2021 3:20 pm

NebWolvesFan wrote:While I do think it's unlikely that Russell or Towns get traded this offseason, if Minnesota gets Suggs or Cunningham, you would have to think one of Russell or Beasley gets traded. If Minnesota wins the lottery (which I think is still not likely), things could get crazy.


I'm unsure why everyone has a problem realizing the change that has to happen. Earlier in this thread someone is suggesting trading for Horfored, and then drafting Mobley and starting him during his rookie season and just having Horford mentor him from the bench...? No. Mobley would not start for the first year. He would just improve your bench play.

Same here then. You have Russell, Beasley, Edwards, Towns...McDaniels developing. Rubio still here, etc.
So if you go and draft a guard,...he's bench fodder while he develops from benchh minutes. If, If he shows enough right away maybe he earns a sixth man role. Otherwise he just improves the talent of your bench.

This team and it's fans have been stuck for so long playing bottom feeder they believe every draft pick has to become a starter in year one. They Do Not. If your team is building up and has good producing vets, they retain the role and the young kids develop under them. That's good for the right now, and that's good for the future. What does end up happening is the team has to let current depth guys go if they think they've drafted someone better to hold down the bench roles.

Case in point, and I've used him before: James Harden became who he is having not started for three years. That might be too long, but a year or two is learning off bench is probably the best thing you can do for a player to mitigate value risk, help them learn how to be a pro, work on skills with less pressure. These stupid ROY races are meaningless to anything.
Note30
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,851
And1: 931
Joined: Feb 25, 2014
 

Re: Trade Talk (Part Six) 

Post#1418 » by Note30 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 3:31 pm

shrink wrote:
Note30 wrote:https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.nbaanalysis.net/2021/03/30/timberwolves-to-put-karl-anthony-towns-dangelo-russell-on-trade-block/&ved=2ahUKEwjvpeO0t_DvAhVCKn0KHcQ_CXEQFjAAegQIAxAC&usg=AOvVaw2ouIlrxY-CgioABTig7j7K

Don’t follow this site.

Last month they had an article about trading Towns because the “KAT-DLo pairing hasn’t worked out.” They pointed to the Wolves overall record, and didn’t even realize the pairing had only paired five games together.

Great analysis, nbaanalysis.net!


I don't use that site, just happened to popup as a suggestion to me on Insta followed the source back to that site.
Wolveswin
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,338
And1: 380
Joined: Aug 22, 2020
 

Re: Trade Talk (Part Six) 

Post#1419 » by Wolveswin » Fri Apr 9, 2021 5:14 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:What about Isaac? Magic are in full tear down mode.

To consider, we have to assume he proves repaired and healthy. Magic wouldn’t want to move him for an injured discount — if so just keep him. But regardless he is at a depressed value.

Rubio + Edwards
FOR
Isaac + Ross + 2021 Bulls 1st

Towns
Isaac
McDaniels | Ross
Beasley
Russell


I don't expect Edwards to be on the block, but if he is, trading him for a guy coming off an ACL tear might defeat the purpose of what you're trying to accomplish.

Maybe. Trade wouldn’t be completed until draft and as mentioned, Isaac a clean bill of health. Wolves wouldn’t see him in NBA action of course, but have to believe like many NBA player’s injuries, it wouldn’t change their previous production.

With all that said, getting Isaac plus assets with him at the cost of only Edwards is due to the fact Isaac has a injury history. Otherwise getting a young locked in player of that caliber would cost so much more in assets.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Posts: 24,004
And1: 8,180
Joined: Dec 27, 2003
     

Re: Trade Talk (Part Six) 

Post#1420 » by Worm Guts » Fri Apr 9, 2021 5:48 pm

Wolveswin wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:What about Isaac? Magic are in full tear down mode.

To consider, we have to assume he proves repaired and healthy. Magic wouldn’t want to move him for an injured discount — if so just keep him. But regardless he is at a depressed value.

Rubio + Edwards
FOR
Isaac + Ross + 2021 Bulls 1st

Towns
Isaac
McDaniels | Ross
Beasley
Russell


I don't expect Edwards to be on the block, but if he is, trading him for a guy coming off an ACL tear might defeat the purpose of what you're trying to accomplish.

Maybe. Trade wouldn’t be completed until draft and as mentioned, Isaac a clean bill of health. Wolves wouldn’t see him in NBA action of course, but have to believe like many NBA player’s injuries, it wouldn’t change their previous production.

With all that said, getting Isaac plus assets with him at the cost of only Edwards is due to the fact Isaac has a injury history. Otherwise getting a young locked in player of that caliber would cost so much more in assets.


I'm not that I'm thinking that Isaac won't get back to where he was, but I am thinking he might subpar next year, which is common for ACL tears. And I'm not sure how many more failed seasons we can have with Towns before we're forced to move on. If we are going to trade Edwards, I'd really like to get someone I'm confident will be good right away.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves