Trade Talk (Part Six)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,852

Re: Trade Talk (Part Six) 

Post#1281 » by Klomp » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:43 pm

The Wolves worked the phones right up until the last moments, but ultimately could not find any deals they were comfortable making. At 10-34, the worst record in the NBA, there wasn’t an appetite to make the kind of major move this time around that they did last season when they added D’Angelo Russell and Malik Beasley in a series of moves.

There has been so much change, to the coaching staff and roster, over the last 18 months. With Beasley returning from a 12-game suspension on Saturday and Russell expected to be back from knee surgery in the near future, there was a feeling within the organization that now was the time to hold the fort and see how this team comes together over the final 28 games, sources said.

They will use this time to get a full evaluation of how this current iteration of the roster looks and then go into the offseason and pre-draft trade season with the clarity they need.

https://theathletic.com/2473412/2021/03/24/timberwolves-trade-deadline-tracker-watching-the-news-as-a-big-day-nears/
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
IceManBK1
Analyst
And1: 330

Post#1282 » by IceManBK1 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:47 pm

We failed in FA.. Trade deadline.. Guess we need to home grown our talents. Develop McDaniels into our starting 4 I guess. Or pick up LaMarcus Aldridge in the buyout market. Sigh there's always FA again this summer. And Trades.. Get ready for more disappointment again.
IceManBK1
Analyst
And1: 330

Post#1283 » by IceManBK1 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:49 pm

Next yr roster

Dlo
Edwards
Cunningham
McDaniels
Towns

Beasley as 6th man.
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,261

Post#1284 » by Baseline81 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:51 pm

Klomp wrote:The Wolves worked the phones right up until the last moments, but ultimately could not find any deals they were comfortable making. At 10-34, the worst record in the NBA, there wasn’t an appetite to make the kind of major move this time around that they did last season when they added D’Angelo Russell and Malik Beasley in a series of moves.

There has been so much change, to the coaching staff and roster, over the last 18 months. With Beasley returning from a 12-game suspension on Saturday and Russell expected to be back from knee surgery in the near future, there was a feeling within the organization that now was the time to hold the fort and see how this team comes together over the final 28 games, sources said.

They will use this time to get a full evaluation of how this current iteration of the roster looks and then go into the offseason and pre-draft trade season with the clarity they need.

https://theathletic.com/2473412/2021/03/24/timberwolves-trade-deadline-tracker-watching-the-news-as-a-big-day-nears/

Why must a move be a major one?
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,371

Post#1285 » by younggunsmn » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:02 pm

Sometimes not making a trade is the best move. We would be selling low on most of our "assets". Truth is nobody wants most of our players. If we could've gotten something nice for Beasley though, we should have pulled the trigger because IMHO he's still in "sell high" territory (pun intended).

A slightly better version of Beasley, Evan Fournier, only garnered 2 late 2nd round picks, although he was on an expiring contract. And that player didnt have any legal baggage.

I didnt expect a lot. I went into last deadline saying, "please no russell trade" and this one saying "please no gordon trade".
So this deadline is definitely better. Play the crap out of Russell, Rubio, and Beasley going forward and maybe we can find a sucker to take them in the offseason/at the draft.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,290

Post#1286 » by Calinks » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:15 pm

Disappointing mostly because I wanted a PF with some size but the fact is, we have not seen this team healthy. I think Finch can work with Dlo, I think KAT, Beasley, and DLO can be a dangerous combination for teams to stop. Yes, the defense will suck but guess what, the defense sucks right now. So what, we drop from like 27th to 30th? Big deal if our offense goes from like 25th to 12th. Just saying there is value in seeing all of these guys play together. Seeing what does and doesn't work, and making better assessments then.

I fully expect us to be more competitive once healthier. Finch will have a lot more tools to work with.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1287 » by Klomp » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:17 pm

Read on Twitter
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1288 » by Klomp » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:18 pm

Read on Twitter

moonpie
General Manager
And1: 2,684

Post#1289 » by moonpie » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:22 pm

Read on Twitter
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,186

Post#1290 » by Neeva » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:23 pm

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

Mcdaniels >>>hampton and its not even close think Rubio had more value than negative value harris also.
Neeva
Head Coach

Post#1291 » by Neeva » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:25 pm

younggunsmn wrote:Sometimes not making a trade is the best move. We would be selling low on most of our "assets". Truth is nobody wants most of our players. If we could've gotten something nice for Beasley though, we should have pulled the trigger because IMHO he's still in "sell high" territory (pun intended).

A slightly better version of Beasley, Evan Fournier, only garnered 2 late 2nd round picks, although he was on an expiring contract. And that player didnt have any legal baggage.

I didnt expect a lot. I went into last deadline saying, "please no russell trade" and this one saying "please no gordon trade".
So this deadline is definitely better. Play the crap out of Russell, Rubio, and Beasley going forward and maybe we can find a sucker to take them in the offseason/at the draft.

Beasley will come out hungry after his suspension, his value will be at all time highest this off season, that is when Rosas needs to sell.
Baseline81
Starter

Post#1292 » by Baseline81 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:39 pm

Pure comedy:
Read on Twitter
Neeva
Head Coach

Post#1293 » by Neeva » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:41 pm

I mean we haven't seen them all together healthy much at all.
NattaNerNutta
Freshman
And1: 48

Post#1294 » by NattaNerNutta » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:42 pm

Baseline81 wrote:Pure comedy:
Read on Twitter

I must say this is an F'n joke! I can't see how the return of two more guards to the lineup will clarify our situation, meaning our utter lack of a capable starting PF
Baseline81
Starter

Post#1295 » by Baseline81 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:48 pm

Neeva wrote:I mean we haven't seen them all together healthy much at all.

If that was the only issue, sure.

But what about the roster imbalance? Look at how many PG and SG there are -- Russell, Rubio, McLaughlin, Nowell, Beasley, Edwards, Okogie and Culver. Do you remember Saunders starting Okogie at PF?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1296 » by Klomp » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:53 pm

Baseline81 wrote:

But what about the roster imbalance? Look at how many PG and SG there are -- Russell, Rubio, McLaughlin, Nowell, Beasley, Edwards, Okogie and Culver. Do you remember Saunders starting Okogie at PF?

Okogie and Culver won't change much on the trade market. They won't bring you a starting PF. Rubio stays for leadership and probably not a great market for him either. For the rest it goes back to wanting to see the group together (ie Towns, Russell, Edwards, Beasley).

winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,332

Post#1297 » by winforlose » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:56 pm

Baseline81 wrote:

Ant was drafted to play SF and Okogie/Culver have been doing it since last year. The bigger problem is that MCD, Layman, and Juancho are all better at SF than PF and Vando is better on the bench.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,290

Post#1298 » by Calinks » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:58 pm

I think Rosas has learned a few things since he started here.

1. We are not a destination. He got shut out in free agency, went after several PF's and no one was interested.

2. drafts/trades are critical. Because he can't attract free agents he really has to nail these aspects, that said this creates another problem.

3. Young players suck. Young guys are lacking so many tools, it makes it really hard for your team to be competitive, I suspect he will lean more heavily on vets when he can in the future.

4. Luck is big. He has been pretty damn unlucky at times and lucky in others. He was extremely unlucky this season with KAT going down, getting covid, DLo injury, Beasley off-season drama, You just can't predict that stuff and it has had a massive effect on this team.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Battletrigger
Junior
And1: 200

Post#1299 » by Battletrigger » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:00 pm

Baseline81 wrote:Pure comedy:
Read on Twitter

I'd say in Spanish: Ole tus huevos! I don't think it has a proper English version...
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#1300 » by Jedzz » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:01 pm

Read on Twitter

As if the team wasn't giving up points while they've been out all this time? These people are nuts. A worse problem was, the team also couldn't get points while they've been out.

Ruined what could have been a decent season developing first and second year guys too hard right from the start. Now when these two come back it's all logged jammed up again like the beginning. We'll see if pegs get put in the right holes.

Wish they could have said we should hold fast and kept the team as it was from last spring after the deadline instead. Traded current picks for future picks instead and just developed their second year guys from bench this year. Would have been so different.

What to say of this do nothing preach now? Nothing I guess. Just more dissapoint. Get the roster construction all screwed up and then just sit on it. Amazing. Hopefully they don't destroy each others values even more.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves