Trade Talk (Part Six)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,987

Re: Trade Talk (Part Six) 

Post#1441 » by zimpy27 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:12 pm

Does trading Rubio and Edwards for Ingram make sense for the Wolves?

DLo, Beasley, Ingram, McDaniels, KAT
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,264

Post#1442 » by Baseline81 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:52 pm

zimpy27 wrote:Does trading Rubio and Edwards for Ingram make sense for the Wolves?

It may if the Wolves see McDaniels as their PF going forward.

We've recently done a poll where the majority view him at SF, though.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#1443 » by Worm Guts » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:19 pm

Baseline81 wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:Does trading Rubio and Edwards for Ingram make sense for the Wolves?

How I feel about this trade would have nothing to do with Jaden McDaniels. My first instinct was- of course, Ingram is a 23 year old All-Star. But seeing a Pelican propose this trade makes me hesitant.
TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,087

Post#1444 » by TheZachAttack » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:53 pm

Ingram is a great player and his length, scoring ability, shooting ability, and playmaking ability would certainly help the Wolves. I'm not sure there is a reason to give up $17m in expiring plus a 19 year old Edwards on a rookie deal for the same position fit but on a max deal and 4 years older--I guess if you argue that Ingram helps you win now.

I would say that ideally the Wolves would look to get something else back. What that might be would depend on if the Wolves land a top 3 pick or not this year and how that changes their roster construction.

The Wolves need shooting and defense. There is some thought that the best way to do that is to move KAT to C and/or to move D lo to a quasi SG. Ingram, and his playmaking, helps that by allowing D Lo to play off-ball. That type of spacing around Ingram would fit him.

Idk I'm just talking it through. It's an interesting idea.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#1445 » by Worm Guts » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:23 pm

TheZachAttack wrote:

Ingram is a great player and his length, scoring ability, shooting ability, and playmaking ability would certainly help the Wolves. I'm not sure there is a reason to give up $17m in expiring plus a 19 year old Edwards on a rookie deal for the same position fit but on a max deal and 4 years older--I guess if you argue that Ingram helps you win now.

I would say that ideally the Wolves would look to get something else back. What that might be would depend on if the Wolves land a top 3 pick or not this year and how that changes their roster construction.

The Wolves need shooting and defense. There is some thought that the best way to do that is to move KAT to C and/or to move D lo to a quasi SG. Ingram, and his playmaking, helps that by allowing D Lo to play off-ball. That type of spacing around Ingram would fit him.

The issue is that Ingram is a good player, Edward is a player that's being projected as good in the future. So whether you think Edwards will become a better than Ingram and how sure you are of it are the two important questions to me. I wouldn't be worried about fit.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Post#1446 » by jpatrick » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:38 pm

I think Pels are starting to see Ingram as a player that puts up stats but doesn’t contribute to winning as much as his stats might suggest.

I just don’t understand what David Griffin is doing there. He drafted a top ten center and traded for another big money center, neither of which can shoot. You need to clear the paint for Zion. If you don’t want Zion playing center, get a Myles Turner type.
Wolves21
Sixth Man
And1: 400

Post#1447 » by Wolves21 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:47 pm

I would be interested in bring in Ingram but not at the price of trading Edwards.Thinks its clear as day that both Rubio/Beasley are more then likely going to be guys trade to try and upgrade the team around Towns/Edwards/Russell/McDaniels.Really don't see anyway any of those four are trade(maybe out side shot of Russell as he's the only I would personally trade as he's to expensive ideally is a 6th man like he's currently been playing for us)
TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer

Post#1448 » by TheZachAttack » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:02 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
TheZachAttack wrote:

The issue is that Ingram is a good player, Edward is a player that's being projected as good in the future. So whether you think Edwards will become a better than Ingram and how sure you are of it are the two important questions to me. I wouldn't be worried about fit.

The issue that I see is that Edwards has clearing meaningfully developed as the season went on. I made another post that details that Edwards last 20 games have looked like the following:

24/5/3 on 51% 2 PT FG% - 34% 3 PT FG% (8 att/g) - 78% FT% (5.5 att/g) - 54% TS%

Ingram didn't really make that same jump until maybe his 3rd or definitely his 4th season--even in respect to efficiency numbers. Sure, to some degree it's a little bit of a calculated risk--but Ingram is to some degree an average or slightly below average max player. With Edwards, if he continues the progress he's shown to close the year and even makes another jump next season... you're looking at multiple years of a player that's a borderline max value player or better on a rookie deal.

With Towns and especially D Lo on max deals and the prospect of bringing in another top 3 pick on a rookie deal... it becomes really important... if we actually want to be good during the D Lo/Towns era... to stack players on rookie contracts outperforming those contracts rather than jumping that time period and bringing in a 3rd max player.

That's why I would consider doing the trade, but probably ultimately look for more to give me a reason to not be able to say no rather than a trade where I say yeah it could make sense.

Say the Wolves get a top 3 pick...

Or Rubio/Top 3 Pick do it? Would the Wolves want to do that?
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,197

Post#1449 » by Neeva » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:00 pm

No way the wolves trade their pick. Arod and Rosas will keep it and swing for the fences again.
Norseman79
Sixth Man
And1: 561

Post#1450 » by Norseman79 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:11 am

I don't see a world the Wolves give up DLo or Kat unless they ask out, nor Edwards as he may end up being the face of the franchise, Mcdaniels maybe only in a blockbuster type of deal.

Rubio, Beasley, and our pick if we keep it and don't just draft someone, should be enough to land a solid 4/5 to put up front with karl
TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer

Post#1451 » by TheZachAttack » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:49 am

Norseman79 wrote:I don't see a world the Wolves give up DLo or Kat unless they ask out, nor Edwards as he may end up being the face of the franchise, Mcdaniels maybe only in a blockbuster type of deal.

Rubio, Beasley, and our pick if we keep it and don't just draft someone, should be enough to land a solid 4/5 to put up front with karl

Put it this way, the top 4 draft picks in this class are regarded as significantly more impressive than Edwards was. Now, maybe Edwards has shown more than expected but I think it’s fair to argue that the top 3-4 pick alone has as much or more value than Edwards. Beasley locked up long term and Rubio expiring to match a max deal should theoretically be able to fetch just about any player that comes on the market.

For example, what does Lamelo/Rubio/Beasley get you now?
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#1452 » by Krapinsky » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:30 am

Worm Guts wrote:
Baseline81 wrote:

How I feel about this trade would have nothing to do with Jaden McDaniels. My first instinct was- of course, Ingram is a 23 year old All-Star. But seeing a Pelican propose this trade makes me hesitant.

Make the Wolves throw in a future unprotected first and I'd still do it.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
Playmaker17
Ballboy
And1: 33

Post#1453 » by Playmaker17 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:19 am

TheZachAttack wrote:
Norseman79 wrote:I don't see a world the Wolves give up DLo or Kat unless they ask out, nor Edwards as he may end up being the face of the franchise, Mcdaniels maybe only in a blockbuster type of deal.

Put it this way, the top 4 draft picks in this class are regarded as significantly more impressive than Edwards was. Now, maybe Edwards has shown more than expected but I think it’s fair to argue that the top 3-4 pick alone has as much or more value than Edwards. Beasley locked up long term and Rubio expiring to match a max deal should theoretically be able to fetch just about any player that comes on the market.

LOL....Edwards would go #1 in this class. Since the 14th game of the year, the 19 year old is scoring nearly 21 ppg and 5 rpg yet you guys can’t run him out of town fast enough. What he is doing at 19 is really special
TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer

Post#1454 » by TheZachAttack » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:40 am

Playmaker17 wrote:
TheZachAttack wrote:

LOL....Edwards would go #1 in this class. Since the 14th game of the year, the 19 year old is scoring nearly 21 ppg and 5 rpg yet you guys can’t run him out of town fast enough. What he is doing at 19 is really special

Did you not read my post? I said than what Edwards was at the time of the draft. I mean if you also read my other posts I’m extremely high on Edwards? Hilarious trash post lol
Playmaker17
Ballboy

Post#1455 » by Playmaker17 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:53 am

:oops:
TheZachAttack wrote:
Playmaker17 wrote:
TheZachAttack wrote:

Did you not read my post? I said than what Edwards was at the time of the draft. I mean if you also read my other posts I’m extremely high on Edwards? Hilarious trash post lol

I read it. I just don’t see the top 4 picks in this draft having more value than Edwards. AE has way more current value than anyone coming out next year.
TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer

Post#1456 » by TheZachAttack » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:55 am

Playmaker17 wrote::oops:
TheZachAttack wrote:
Playmaker17 wrote:

I read it. I just don’t see the top 4 picks in this draft having more value than Edwards. AE has way more current value than anyone coming out next year.

I was referring to Edwards based on his draft value. I referred to LaMelo because he’s ranked 3 in the most recent rankings compared to Edwards at 20 or what not. That’s it. It’s not that deep pal.
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,764

Post#1457 » by Slim Tubby » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:06 am

TheZachAttack wrote:
TheZachAttack wrote:

I was referring to Edwards based on his draft value. I referred to LaMelo because he’s ranked 3 in the most recent rankings compared to Edwards at 20 or what not. That’s it. It’s not that deep pal.

I think Playmaker just hasn’t grasped that you’re comparing Ant’s value as a Draft prospect at the time compared to the current value of the top 4 guys coming out this year. I don’t think he was trolling.

I’ve seen enough of Edwards at 19 that I’m not moving him. He has most of the Rookie flaws that you’d expect for a kid his age but his upside is just so damn high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
Playmaker17
Ballboy

Post#1458 » by Playmaker17 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:12 pm

TheZachAttack wrote:
TheZachAttack wrote:

My bad if I’m not reading your post properly. It seems to me you were saying the top 3-4 picks have more current value than AE. If that’s not the case, I apologize
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,948

Post#1459 » by Klomp » Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:01 pm

I don't think removing Edwards is the answer. I think the team is building around the threesome of Towns, Russell and Edwards. If other parts aren't viewed as great fits with those three, those are the areas of improvement for the team to take.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Lucamilo23
Sophomore
And1: 56

Post#1460 » by Lucamilo23 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:41 pm

Playmaker17 wrote:
TheZachAttack wrote:

My bad if I’m not reading your post properly. It seems to me you were saying the top 3-4 picks have more current value than AE. If that’s not the case, I apologize

To be fair, “ Now, maybe Edwards has shown more than expected but I think it’s fair to argue that the top 3-4 pick alone has as much or more value than Edwards.” does make it seem like you are talking about ants current value.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves