ImageImageImage

Trade Talk (Part Six)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Re: Trade Talk (Part Six) 

Post#1501 » by jpatrick » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:32 pm

Worm Guts wrote:Still, if Philly was looking to trade Simmons I don't think it would be for a rebuilding package. Not when they are this competitive.

Agreed. If we were involved, it would to have to be a three team trade.
MPLS_Wolves
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#1502 » by MPLS_Wolves » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:48 pm

jpatrick wrote:
MPLS_Wolves wrote:
Neeva wrote:Simmons is overated.

No he isn't. He is a top 5 defender in the league (arguably top 3) and a terrific fit with the core of this team. He is a clear-cut top 25 guy in the most talented time in NBA History. You pray and hope your top 3 pick becomes as good as Simmons.

The real question is why does Philly trade Simmons for a top 3 pick and table scraps when they are competing for a title? Makes absolutely no sense. They didn't bring in Doc Rivers to trade their 2nd best player and get worse around an MVP candidate in Embiid.

I don’t watch a lot of Philly, but a lot of people think you can’t win in the modern NBA when your best player refuses to shoot outside three feet. Especially when said player is a perimeter guy.

This is especially troublesome when your MVP candidate (Embiid) works best close to the basket. Simmons man essentially becomes a free safety because the defense knows Simmons refuses to shoot. Not that he will just miss but flat out refuses to shoot.

Simmons isn't close to the teams best player--Embiid is.

Simmons and Embiid, on the court together, are +15.5 Points per 100 possessions. To say they don't fit in is laughable and incorrect--regardless of what a jabronnie on Reddit or Twitter says. For those unfamiliar, that's similar to the numbers of Curry/Green together in 2015-2017.

I dont think you understand how Simmons impacts the game. For starters, he can defend 1-4, making him a seamless fit on any roster defense. Second, you can't defend him the way you insinuate because if he has 6-8 feet of space, who exactly is stopping him on his drives? Third, he needs shooters around him to be best...who doesn't? Every team wants and needs shooters to compete.

There is also the concerns that he hasn’t improved offensively at all while in the NBA. I think Philly may see what offers are out there if they flame out early in the playoffs. If they make it to the finals, no chance.

And they want to take our peasant offer?

That said, would I traded Suggs, Beasley, Rubio, and filler for him? Maybe. Probably actually. But that’s based much more on his defensive profile than what he would do for us offensively.

I think you need to watch more of Simmons if you can't see his value offensively.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Post#1503 » by jpatrick » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:03 pm

I think we’ll have to see how this plays out in the playoffs when teams really can exploit non-shooters on the floor. I don’t think Philly is anxious to trade Simmons but I also don’t think Morey is beholden to keeping him if they don’t make it out of the second round of the playoffs.

The only non-Wolves podcast I listen to is the Rights to Ricky Sanchez. Probably the best team centric podcast out there. They have brought up these concerns in the past, not some random dudes on Twitter. Also there has been some concern with Embiid and Simmons not fitting together personality wise.

I don’t think Simmons would come cheap. But I also don’t think his star is as bright as it was a year or two ago when people thought the shot would come along.
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,526

Post#1504 » by Note30 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:55 pm

jpatrick wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
Note30 wrote:
Yeah... Boil it down to the one season and the worst supporting class ever.

Ignore the fact that he's single handedly carried every team he's been on.

He's one year removed from the best statistical year he's ever had.

His best year was 16-17, statistically he hasn't been close since. Houston essentially dumped him after 1 season.

Since his MVP year his numbers have dropped:
VORP: 9.3 to 1.9
BPM: 11.1 to 2.2
Win Shares/48: .224 to .042
PER: 30.6 to 18.3

It's really pretty dramatic.

Westbrook is a high floor player. With him, he elevates your floor because he plays as a one man team essentially. However, his style will NEVER be conducive to a highly successful team. Durant couldn't wait to get away from him. And those OKC teams, that was Durant carrying them. Every time Durant (or even Harden for that matter) didn't touch the ball on a possession because Westbrook jacked up a shot, was a possession that wasn't as efficient as it should have been.

There is a reason he was traded for Wall, it was two of the worst contracts in the league being traded for one another.

He has a better floor no question.

I guess its a pretty hefty bet that he will be able to make a playoff team out of Minnesota. Still if I had to bet between DLo and Westbrook making a playoff team Id still choose Westbrook for 2 years. All the stats Worm quoted for Westbrook is significantly better than DLos.

Eye test and stats wise Id rather have 40 mill in Westbrook next year than 40 in DLo and Rubio. Which let's face it aren't going to work together.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ChiefKeith91
Sophomore
And1: 59

Post#1505 » by ChiefKeith91 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:24 am

BR article proposed a trade for Jerami Grant

Grant for Beasley, Culver, McDaniels and 23 FRP (Top 8 protected)

What do you guys think?

Dlo
Ant
Okogie
Grant
KAT

And our Top 3 pick if we keep it

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Norseman79
Sixth Man
And1: 561

Post#1506 » by Norseman79 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:01 am

ChiefKeith91 wrote:BR article proposed a trade for Jerami Grant

What do you guys think?

Dlo
Ant
Okogie
Grant
KAT

I'll be honest and say I don't like it. I consider Grant to be a 3, much like Mcdaniels. I am tired of this team playing undersized.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,182

Post#1507 » by Neeva » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:07 am

What do you guys think?

Dlo
Ant
Okogie
Grant
KAT

They are high, no one will offer that much for Grant who’s play has fallen after a hot start.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,228

Post#1508 » by Calinks » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:42 am

That's giving up too damn much. I think there are a lot of serviceable PF's we can find for far less.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,882

Post#1509 » by theGreatRC » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:09 am

What do you guys think?

Dlo
Ant
Okogie
Grant
KAT

Beasley, Mcdaniels AND a lotto pick? Beasley & McDaniels should already be enough for Grant and i'd still say no.
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,824

Post#1510 » by Domejandro » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:37 am

Klomp wrote:
IceManBK1 wrote:Dlo for Toppins, quickley and mitch.. Who says no..

I do. That's gross.

D'Angelo Russell: $30,013,500 // $31,377,750

vs.

Obi Toppin: $5,105,160 // $5,348,280 // $6,803,012
Immanuel Quickley: $2,210,640 // $2,316,240 // $4,171,548
Mitchell Robinson: $1,802,057 // RFA

Seems like an absolute no-brainer to get out of D'Angelo Russell's contract, especially for three cost-controlled young players.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,809

Post#1511 » by Klomp » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:00 pm

Domejandro wrote:
Klomp wrote:
IceManBK1 wrote:Dlo for Toppins, quickley and mitch.. Who says no..

I do. That's gross.

vs.

Seems like an absolute no-brainer to get out of D'Angelo Russell's contract, especially for three cost-controlled young players.

I don't believe Russell is as negative as a lot of people think. I also don't believe going backwards to accumulate more prospects is the way this franchise should go. We need to be taking steps forward, not backward.

Assuming we keep our pick this year, we need to win as many games as possible next year. Russell gives us a better chance to do that than prospects.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,511

Post#1512 » by Worm Guts » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:14 pm

Klomp wrote:
Domejandro wrote:
Klomp wrote:I do. That's gross.

vs.

I don't believe Russell is as negative as a lot of people think. I also don't believe going backwards to accumulate more prospects is the way this franchise should go. We need to be taking steps forward, not backward.

Assuming we keep our pick this year, we need to win as many games as possible next year. Russell gives us a better chance to do that than prospects.

I feel like the main goal would be to get out from Russell's contract and gain flexibility. We wouldn't be married to any of these prospects, and they could be traded for more established players.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,397

Post#1513 » by shrink » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:54 pm

Klomp wrote:
Domejandro wrote:
Klomp wrote:I do. That's gross.

vs.

FWIW, The Trade Board voted Russell the sixth worst contract in the NBA.

I will agree that we tend to see big name scorers get better returns than the board expects, but I still think this offer is far too unrealistic for Russell. Heck, $21 mil in cap space is pretty valuable on it’s own, even for MIN.

I like New York as a Russell destination, but I think it’s unlikely he’s traded, and certainly not for this positive a return.
IceManBK1
Analyst
And1: 330

Post#1514 » by IceManBK1 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:11 pm

You guys think Dlo has reached his ceiling? he'll forever just be a volume shooter with a low fg%. 6th yr into his career and no improvement on rim attacking and finishing ability. defense still leaves alot to be desired. i don't know why the coach don't tell him just focus and stick glued to his man and not leave them open for 3. and he's a lazy rebounder. he's still only 25. but peers his age and drafted around his status are all panning out. Guys like Randle and Ingram have raised their games to another level. IDK, maybe he should work on all areas of his game besides his 3 pters in the summer.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#1515 » by Worm Guts » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:24 pm

IceManBK1 wrote:You guys think Dlo has reached his ceiling? he'll forever just be a volume shooter with a low fg%. 6th yr into his career and no improvement on rim attacking and finishing ability. defense still leaves alot to be desired. i don't know why the coach don't tell him just focus and stick glued to his man and not leave them open for 3. and he's a lazy rebounder. he's still only 25. but peers his age and drafted around his status are all panning out. Guys like Randle and Ingram have raised their games to another level. IDK, maybe he should work on all areas of his game besides his 3 pters in the summer.

He’s entering his prime. He still could improve, but I’m guessing what we’re seeing is pretty close to what we’re going to get.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,809

Post#1516 » by Klomp » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:41 pm

IceManBK1 wrote:You guys think Dlo has reached his ceiling? he'll forever just be a volume shooter with a low fg%. 6th yr into his career and no improvement on rim attacking and finishing ability. defense still leaves alot to be desired. i don't know why the coach don't tell him just focus and stick glued to his man and not leave them open for 3. and he's a lazy rebounder. he's still only 25. but peers his age and drafted around his status are all panning out. Guys like Randle and Ingram have raised their games to another level. IDK, maybe he should work on all areas of his game besides his 3 pters in the summer.

My goodness, you turned from stan to hater quick
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,526

Post#1517 » by Note30 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:30 pm

If we get the #1 pick who'd be down to see us trade it for Jaren Jackson Jr?

Dude's the definition of 3&D, emphasis on the defense.

Brandon Clarke is playing well for them and I think they need another offensive threat outside of Morant.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#1518 » by Krapinsky » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:11 pm

What do you guys think?

Dlo
Ant
Okogie
Grant
KAT

With our rebounding woes, I think Grant is the last player we would want at the PF position.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#1519 » by Krapinsky » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:12 pm

Note30 wrote:If we get the #1 pick who'd be down to see us trade it for Jaren Jackson Jr?

Brandon Clarke is playing well for them and I think they need another offensive threat outside of Morant.

I see his name come up all the time, but why would Miami trade him? Pair him with Ja and they are in the playoffs for the next decade. Why screw that up?
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#1520 » by Worm Guts » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:16 pm

Krapinsky wrote:
Note30 wrote:If we get the #1 pick who'd be down to see us trade it for Jaren Jackson Jr?

I see his name come up all the time, but why would Miami trade him? Pair him with Ja and they are in the playoffs for the next decade. Why screw that up?

He’s missed an awful lot of games in his career.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves