Trade Talk (Part Six)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

fattymcgee
Senior
And1: 274

Re: Trade Talk (Part Six) 

Post#1741 » by fattymcgee » Tue Jun 8, 2021 9:25 pm

minimus wrote:
Norseman79 wrote:These obviously aren't the only PFs in the league, but they are really the only ones that I would want to go after.

What about other PFs: Siakam? OG Anunoby? Jeremy Grant? Brandon Clarke? Bjelica?

And Cs: Portis? Daniel Gafford? Richaun Holmes? Theis?

Everyone on this board (and rubechat) overrates Brandon Clarke. He had a grand total of 2pts 1 rebound and 1 block in the playoffs.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,191

Post#1742 » by Neeva » Tue Jun 8, 2021 9:51 pm

fattymcgee wrote:
minimus wrote:
Norseman79 wrote:These obviously aren't the only PFs in the league, but they are really the only ones that I would want to go after.

What about other PFs: Siakam? OG Anunoby? Jeremy Grant? Brandon Clarke? Bjelica?

Everyone on this board (and rubechat) overrates Brandon Clarke. He had a grand total of 2pts 1 rebound and 1 block in the playoffs.

Not as much as they overate Simmons and his “heralded defense” which was not able to slow down Any of the Hawks on Sunday.. He hits freethrows like a grandma and is basically unplayable down the stretch in close games.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,581

Post#1743 » by shrink » Wed Jun 9, 2021 2:41 am

Read on Twitter

Rubio’s expiring for a two year, $10 mil deal to create room under the lux?
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 688

Post#1744 » by karch34 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 4:13 am

shrink wrote:
Read on Twitter

In theory yes. In practicality whom and likely deal would have to include more salary coming to us for any team looking to create room.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 688

Post#1745 » by karch34 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 4:14 am

shrink wrote:
Read on Twitter

In theory yes. In practicality whom and likely deal would have to include more salary coming to us for any team looking to create room.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,719

Post#1746 » by minimus » Wed Jun 9, 2021 6:56 am

shrink wrote:
Read on Twitter

Are you saying that Rosas and Gupta knew this when they traded JJ for Rubio?
minimus
RealGM

Post#1747 » by minimus » Wed Jun 9, 2021 6:58 am

fattymcgee wrote:
minimus wrote:

Yeah, I wish we have traded for Tillman during draft! Brandon Clarke has limitations but if the price is fair I'd try to get him.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,581

Post#1748 » by shrink » Wed Jun 9, 2021 11:27 am

minimus wrote:Are you saying that Rosas and Gupta knew this when they traded JJ for Rubio?

Well, all things being equal, an expiring this year (JJ) is worth more than an expiring in two years (Rubio). If you need the cap space in Year 2, you simply don’t spend it in Year 1 and maintain flexibility. What Rosas couldn’t have known is that most of the best free agents would later have their contracts extended, leaving teams that had saved cap space for free agents unable to spend it on a worthy free agent this season (like Giannis).

I believe Rubio and James Johnson had comparable trade value, but they traded for him because he was a better player than JJ, and they thought he would help Anthony Edwards development. They couldn’t trade for him earlier, trying to disguise that they might pick LaMelo as they tried to trade the pick.
NebWolvesFan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#1749 » by NebWolvesFan » Wed Jun 9, 2021 1:30 pm

shrink wrote:
minimus wrote:Are you saying that Rosas and Gupta knew this when they traded JJ for Rubio?

Well, all things being equal, an expiring this year (JJ) is worth more than an expiring in two years (Rubio). If you need the cap space in Year 2, you simply don’t spend it in Year 1 and maintain flexibility. What Rosas couldn’t have known is that most of the best free agents would later have their contracts extended, leaving teams that had saved cap space for free agents unable to spend it on a worthy free agent this season (like Giannis).

I believe Rubio and James Johnson had comparable trade value, but they traded for him because he was a better player than JJ, and they thought he would help Anthony Edwards development. They couldn’t trade for him earlier, trying to disguise that they might pick LaMelo as they tried to trade the pick.

This is also a reason it wouldn't be the end of the world if Minnesota loses its 2021 pick, but regains its 2022 and its ability to trade its 2023 this summer. If the Timberwolves go into the trade season unable to trade its 22 or 23 picks (two of its best assets) I just don't see how they make any noise.
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Post#1750 » by SO_MONEY » Wed Jun 9, 2021 5:28 pm

NebWolvesFan wrote:
shrink wrote:

This is also a reason it wouldn't be the end of the world if Minnesota loses its 2021 pick, but regains its 2022 and its ability to trade its 2023 this summer. If the Timberwolves go into the trade season unable to trade its 22 or 23 picks (two of its best assets) I just don't see how they make any noise.

Not adding a top end prospect this year is the proverbial end of the world, which is why winning all those meaningless games should upset everyone. It cannot be overstated how potentially damaging this could be for the direction and future of the team.
minimus
RealGM

Post#1751 » by minimus » Wed Jun 9, 2021 5:36 pm

SO_MONEY wrote:
NebWolvesFan wrote:
shrink wrote:Well, all things being equal, an expiring this year (JJ) is worth more than an expiring in two years (Rubio). If you need the cap space in Year 2, you simply don’t spend it in Year 1 and maintain flexibility. What Rosas couldn’t have known is that most of the best free agents would later have their contracts extended, leaving teams that had saved cap space for free agents unable to spend it on a worthy free agent this season (like Giannis).

Not adding a top end prospect this year is the proverbial end of the world, which is why winning all those meaningless games should upset everyone. It cannot be overstated how potentially damaging this could be for the direction and future of the team.

Rather winning all those meaningless games than reading all these dumb rumours about KAT wanting to leave MIN.
TheProdigy
Starter
And1: 1,015

Post#1752 » by TheProdigy » Wed Jun 9, 2021 5:41 pm

SO_MONEY wrote:
NebWolvesFan wrote:
shrink wrote:Well, all things being equal, an expiring this year (JJ) is worth more than an expiring in two years (Rubio). If you need the cap space in Year 2, you simply don’t spend it in Year 1 and maintain flexibility. What Rosas couldn’t have known is that most of the best free agents would later have their contracts extended, leaving teams that had saved cap space for free agents unable to spend it on a worthy free agent this season (like Giannis).

Even if we had the worst record in the league, the probability of losing the pick is higher than keeping the pick. We were probably going to lose the pick regardless of how we ended the season.

It also can't be overstated how damaging it would be for Finch's tenure as coach if he was throwing games a few months after joining the team. Do you think players would respect him going forward if he was losing on purpose?
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant

Post#1753 » by SO_MONEY » Wed Jun 9, 2021 5:56 pm

TheProdigy wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:
NebWolvesFan wrote:

Even if we had the worst record in the league, the probability of losing the pick is higher than keeping the pick. We were probably going to lose the pick regardless of how we ended the season.

It also can't be overstated how damaging it would be for Finch's tenure as coach if he was throwing games a few months after joining the team. Do you think players would respect him going forward if he was losing on purpose?

I stand by what I said and do not wish to converse further with people who don't grasp it.
MN7725
Veteran
And1: 1,076

Post#1754 » by MN7725 » Wed Jun 9, 2021 6:29 pm

TheProdigy wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:
NebWolvesFan wrote:

Think I remember reading it went from 40% to 27% probability of keeping
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant

Post#1755 » by SO_MONEY » Wed Jun 9, 2021 6:38 pm

MN7725 wrote:
TheProdigy wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:

Think I remember reading it went from 40% to 27% probability of keeping

Yup. Allowing that to happen was criminal knowing the consequences of not getting the pick.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,211

Post#1756 » by BlacJacMac » Wed Jun 9, 2021 7:27 pm

I'll take the learning to win (while buying into the coach/system) and building long-term chemistry over throwing games to improve our odds by 12.5%.

And its not like there is a LeBron, or even a Luka at the Top of this draft. The consensus Top 3 all have significant red flags.
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant

Post#1757 » by SO_MONEY » Wed Jun 9, 2021 8:30 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:I'll take the learning to win (while buying into the coach/system) and building long-term chemistry over throwing games to improve our odds by 12.5%.

And its not like there is a LeBron, or even a Luka at the Top of this draft. The consensus Top 3 all have significant red flags.

You are not being honest with yourself in trying to justify the indefensible. The increased odds were critical to the path of this team going forward and there are no excuses or justifications, it was self-defeating and anything they accomplished could have been accomplished this off-season or next season while not causing harm with putting ourselves in the best position possible. Stating otherwise is in fact dishonest and people who can string together a thought or two will struggle to buy what people like you are selling, because it is honestly delusional. I'll take the extra 12.5% at a top end talent, to add to a team that looks like they may make a slight jump, rather than making that jump now and not having better chance at also having that additional talent. This is not complicated and shouldn't need to be explained, it is obvious.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,211

Post#1758 » by BlacJacMac » Wed Jun 9, 2021 8:44 pm

SO_MONEY wrote:
I stand by what I said and do not wish to converse further with people who don't grasp it.

Maybe you should've stuck to your guns instead of becoming increasingly belligerent.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,191

Post#1759 » by Neeva » Wed Jun 9, 2021 9:38 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:I'll take the learning to win (while buying into the coach/system) and building long-term chemistry over throwing games to improve our odds by 12.5%.

LOng term chemistry?? , who will be left on the team after draft night lol

The wolves are either stupid or they knew they had a guarantee from the league to keep their pick... we will see on lottery night.
SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant

Post#1760 » by SO_MONEY » Wed Jun 9, 2021 10:39 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:
SO_MONEY wrote:

Maybe you should've stuck to your guns instead of becoming increasingly belligerent.

Maybe, but it doesn't make me wrong.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves