Trade Talk (Part Six)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,497

Re: Trade Talk (Part Six) 

Post#21 » by Wolveswin » Tue Feb 9, 2021 9:40 pm

shrink wrote:
People don’t want this drama on a public board, so that’s why I sent you a PM and didn’t respond to three weeks of previous threads over and over again publicly.

I still believe this. If you want to discuss this with me privately, PM me. I won’t comment on this any more on the public board.

And as I said in the pm, I reserve the same right to publicly express my opinion on how unrealistic your public KAT trades are, as you have to post them. I hope that doesn’t set you off again each time. Cheers.

You are the one felt compelled to do anything. Not sure how this falls on me. You realize none of this would be public or private if not for Shrink the cop.
Wolveswin
Head Coach

Post#22 » by Wolveswin » Tue Feb 9, 2021 9:46 pm

shrink wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:Note: I don’t have a personal beef. You on other hand stalked me via PM and now here and other threads to press your POV on Towns’ trades as appropriate subject matter. You are venturing into “I know you are but what am I” territory.

Wow. “Stalked” huh? “Personal Agenda?” We know poor-me victims who play fast and loose with the truth.

Getting a personal message is not being “stalked.”. After three weeks of these unreal Towns trades, I sent you a PM last night to try to get you to understand that you are at RealGM. I suggested you post about players that could realistically be traded, and if you still felt compelled to make Towns trades, I even sent you a link for a place where unreal trades would be more appropriate. You acted like .. well, pretty much like you have here.

People don’t want this drama on a public board, so that’s why I sent you a PM and barely responded to the previous three weeks of threads. I responded to your return PM#, but apparently you came here looking for a public fight (directing your trade here specifically to me)

As for an agenda ..

Wolveswin wrote:
shrink wrote:It doesn’t really matter if the Wolves aren’t trading him before the deadline.

Your post makes me think you make all these Towns trades, not because there is any chance they will happen, but they are more fun for you because he has more trade value. This isn’t realistic. This is the high school girl asking her friends to “tell me how pretty I am!”

I expect Rosas to trade some players on this team, and trades often happen with players without a lot of trade value. They just have to have more value to the team than what they are trading away.

I listed several reasons why MIN won’t trade Towns now. But go ahead, explain to us why you think it’s realistic that MIN would shop him now?

Hmmmm I didn’t say shop him right now. But ok keep pressing that agenda.

I just said the opposite. Moreover, as the poster, you’re responsible to tell readers that a trade you make is for the future like “at the deadline” or “next summer.” Trade values and team directions change. If you don’t include these words, readers think it means a trade today. None of your many many KAT threads said, “I didn’t mean MIN would trade him right now,” so that is a weak cop out to say it now.

And none of this has to do with an “agenda.”

Hey if you have the right to use adjectives (slamming, dumping, flooding) I do believe I do as well. But maybe you are policing descriptive words here too?

I think we can all agree you don’t like the subject matter so you feel your Real part of RGM is at risk — for some reason.

Tell you what, I will run by you subject matter before posting. That way your badge and whistle can not be publicly on display and we can all enjoy our RGM experience. Accept my apologies for not being a exact mold of you and post just like you on subject matter just like you. :banghead:
Wolveswin
Head Coach

Post#23 » by Wolveswin » Tue Feb 9, 2021 10:03 pm

Trade concluded March 25, 14:52 eastern 2021.

Celtics:
Brown + Theis + 2021 1st (unprotected)
FOR
Towns + Beasley (via TPE)

Warriors:
Wiseman + Oubre Jr. + 2021 Wolves 1st + 2022 Warriors 1st + 2026 Warriors 1st
FOR
Brown + Theis + 2021 Celtics 1st

Wolves:
Towns + Beasley
FOR
Wiseman + Oubre + 2021 Wolves 1st + 2022 Warriors 1st + 2026 Warriors 1st

Wolves can proper rebuild. Yes, I think if an offer like this, an offer for Towns that actually saves the sinking Wolves ship, comes to light at trade deadline, Wolves would trade Towns.

Wolves could be in 3 very short years, in a MUCH better place than where they are now. Wiseman + Edwards combined with Suggs or Cunningham, plus 2022 top 3...makes for a much more promising organization.

If Towns can’t save the franchise this year before deadline, the new coach should get the right to tank and have more than 40% chance at a draft pick or nothing.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,660

Post#24 » by shrink » Tue Feb 9, 2021 10:33 pm

Wolveswin wrote:Trade concluded March 25, 14:52 eastern 2021.

Celtics:
FOR

Warriors:
FOR

Wolves:
Towns + Beasley
FOR

Wolves can proper rebuild. Yes, I think if an offer like this, an offer for Towns that actually saves the sinking Wolves ship, comes to light at trade deadline, Wolves would trade Towns.

Wolves could be in 3 very short years, in a MUCH better place than where they are now. Wiseman + Edwards combined with Suggs or Cunningham, plus 2022 top 3...makes for a much more promising organization.

If Towns can’t save the franchise this year before deadline, the new coach should get the right to tank and have more than 40% chance at a draft pick or nothing.

You’ve posted over a dozen variations of this on the Trade Board, and never get anyone to agree.

MIN is not going to trade KAT this year. They have 3.5 years left on his contract, he hasn’t asked out, they are not a free agent destination that’s likely to attract similar talent, they made a long commitment to Russell to make KAT happy, ad Infinitum.

Unrealistic crap. You know it, and you don’t care.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Norseman79
Sixth Man
And1: 561

Post#25 » by Norseman79 » Tue Feb 9, 2021 10:53 pm

While I don't agree with his trade specs, the idea of trading Towns really isn't stupid. In fact, we have no idea what's happening behind the scenes, maybe Kat has said to move him. Is it likely, no, but it might be smart, just not right now. Waiting until he has one season left and we are behind the eightball ruins any leverage we have. I just wouldn't touch it until the season was over and lottery was set.
shrink
RealGM

Post#26 » by shrink » Tue Feb 9, 2021 11:14 pm

Fortunately, we have 3.5 seasons left on Towns deal, and years of data shows that a star player’s trade value doesn’t decline based on having a short contract if he is traded before his penultimate trade deadline (1.3 years left). This probably has something to do with getting the star for two playoffs. After that, the word, “rental” gets thrown around which hurts a players value (and gives them tremendous leverage naming the places they want to get traded to, and potentially extend).

And setting aside all the other reasons MIN won’t trade KAT, selling now would be selling Towns low. People forget how good he is, since he’s been mostly out of sight for over a year. Moreover, he showed a good focus on defense as well at the start of the season, that wouldn’t be reflected in his trade value.

As I’ve said elsewhere, Towns is an elite offensive player. Among active players he is third in the entire NBA in TS%, behind DeAndre Jordan (who gets fed those numbers), and Steph Curry. He is ahead of Harden, Durant, Dame, .. all those players you think of as great offensive players. If the improvement in Towns’ defense is real .. heck, if he even becomes “average” defensively .. he becomes one of the most valuable players in the game.

Rosas is not trading Towns before the Trade Deadline.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#27 » by Jedzz » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:21 am

Wolveswin wrote:
shrink wrote:People don’t want this drama on a public ...
Wolveswin wrote:Hmmmm I didn’t say ...
I think we can all agree you don’t like the subject matter so you feel your Real part of RGM is at risk — for some reason.

Tell you what, I will run by you subject matter before posting. That way your badge and whistle can not be publicly on display and we can all enjoy our RGM experience. Accept my apologies for not being a exact mold of you and post just like you on subject matter just like you. :banghead:

:lol:
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#28 » by Jedzz » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:42 am

shrink wrote:Fortunately, we have 3.5 seasons left on Towns deal, and years of data shows that a star player’s trade value doesn’t decline based on having a short contract if he is traded before his penultimate trade deadline (1.3 years left). This probably has something to do with getting the star for two playoffs. After that, the word, “rental” gets thrown around which hurts a players value (and gives them tremendous leverage naming the places they want to get traded to, and potentially extend).

And setting aside all the other reasons MIN won’t trade KAT, selling now would be selling Towns low. People forget how good he is, since he’s been mostly out of sight for over a year. Moreover, he showed a good focus on defense as well at the start of the season, that wouldn’t be reflected in his trade value.

As I’ve said elsewhere, Towns is an elite offensive player. Among active players he is third in the entire NBA in TS%, behind DeAndre Jordan (who gets fed those numbers), and Steph Curry. He is ahead of Harden, Durant, Dame, .. all those players you think of as great offensive players. If the improvement in Towns’ defense is real .. heck, if he even becomes “average” defensively .. he becomes one of the most valuable players in the game.

I can agree with all of that! If he comes back to play and shows a consistent higher level of defense as we saw him start the season he will see a massive increase in respect around the league where most know exactly how good offensively he's been, but have dismissed him only for that defense issue. But he still has to come back, play more games consistently and show that defense this season. We know the reasons, but he's missed a lot of time lately so like you said people have largely forgotten him across the league.
shrink wrote:Rosas is not trading Towns before the Trade Deadline.
You mean the Penultimate deadline you mentioned that is currently 2.2 years away with this line, right? If they were willing to move him at this deadline, well, then anytime is fair game. Personally I won't say they won't or can't do it sooner then his penultimate moment. It just likely wouldn't be a wise choice to seek out a trade now. Maybe if some team out of the blue came knocking with an offer you can't refuse, you at least listen. If faced with such an offer, any GM is going to weigh their options and not simply pass because of timing. Teams have made all kinds of strange timing moves in the past, and have overpaid for much lesser players.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,954

Post#29 » by Klomp » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:43 am

With his performance, where do we think Malik Beasley's trade value is at? (Note: I do not want to trade him, just curious how we feel about his value)

I keep going back in my head to Devin Booker. Somehow, I still wouldn't rule out that happening at some point. The tricky part comes with Phoenix's success and they probably will not want to part with him for a sum of parts. But what if it was worked into a 3-way deal, with Phoenix getting Bradley Beal?
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#30 » by Jedzz » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:07 am

Norseman79 wrote:While I don't agree with his trade specs, the idea of trading Towns really isn't stupid. In fact, we have no idea what's happening behind the scenes, maybe Kat has said to move him. Is it likely, no, but it might be smart, just not right now. Waiting until he has one season left and we are behind the eightball ruins any leverage we have. I just wouldn't touch it until the season was over and lottery was set.

Trading him for one Wolves pick back plus one 2026 Warriors pick, and them throwing in Wiseman and Oubre just doesn't cut it in any way shape or form based on all his previous play. Especially if you think about what the consensus of his value could be after what he could show if plays the rest of this season at some point soon if he kept the defense going we saw to start this season. The suggestion is just plain nuts. I don't have anything against people suggesting he be traded. It's what has to come back for someone of his level that has to be at a let's get real about this level in the suggestion first. Doesn't mean I haven't suggested trading him and Wiggins as a pair in the past for a snickers bar. Some times you just get so fed up with where this team is at that you just throw reality to the wind and don't post reasonably. But hopefully it doesn't carry on into a year of bogus suggestions.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 693

Post#31 » by karch34 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:11 am

Celtics:
FOR

Warriors:
FOR

Wolves:
Towns + Beasley
FOR

I thought the Memphis deal was bad only because Towns on a team like Memphis guarantees those picks aren't great. This one I see our two best players being traded for a decent/potentially very good C (in an era when they are less important), our 1st in 2021 guaranteed and filler. Easy pass.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#32 » by Jedzz » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:17 am

Klomp wrote:With his performance, where do we think Malik Beasley's trade value is at? (Note: I do not want to trade him, just curious how we feel about his value)

I keep going back in my head to Devin Booker. Somehow, I still wouldn't rule out that happening at some point. The tricky part comes with Phoenix's success and they probably will not want to part with him for a sum of parts. But what if it was worked into a 3-way deal, with Phoenix getting Bradley Beal?

Beasley has been elevating his value all season. It always should have been seen as possible that he does, since his efficiency off bench in the past hinted at that possibility. I don't think any of us realized just how much effort he would bring to the table every game. Which just makes him all the more worth while. He has literally improved at a number of things also this short season so far which means he may be no where near his ceiling yet. We can't know. He just played a game where he started off not hitting a basket, I think, until first in the third Q. Yet he ended the game with a 30/9/8/1/1 line.

I don't think many people were forseeing the possibilities of this team with Dlo/Towns/and this Beasley combined. Even his prior haters of the idea of him have to start taking notice. I hope Towns is just itching to come back to this, to finally having another scoring option here that is valid for once. It might end up giving us an idea of how Towns would look with a Booker around. I'm not done believing they would still go after him. They might not need to with Beasley being how he is. But they still might and Beasley elevating his value on a good value contract doesn't hurt.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#33 » by Jedzz » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:29 am

Speaking about that 2021 pick, I think some people just have an unreasonable level of desire to enjoy the draft process each year impacting their thoughts on needing that back so badly. This team has been without FRPs many times in the past, and they've chosen so many FRPs in the the past and neither situation has made or broke this team. It was just something that had to happen because of a failed choice regarding the move of two FRP players in the past. Let it be corrected and move on. Let's not dump more value of this team extending that prior mistake into more.

Also doesn't mean the team can't still find a single FRP for 2021 by moving other assets yet while trying to correct the roster construction.
shrink
RealGM

Post#34 » by shrink » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:24 am

Klomp wrote:With his performance, where do we think Malik Beasley's trade value is at? (Note: I do not want to trade him, just curious how we feel about his value)

I think his trade value is very good, and will be better. I still maintain that Rosas’ process for the contract was bad (to me, the GM equivalent of banking in a 20 footer with three defenders, and calling it a good shot), but Beasley’s eventual contract is still going to be a good deal, especially with the team option at the end. In addition, I assume that since the court made it’s ruling, the NBA will assess it’s suspension very soon, and that will remove uncertainty that would have hurt his trade value. Finally, Beasley was probably seen as a knucklehead (or worse) given the nature of his crimes, but he has proven to be an extremely hard working basketball player despite his summer.

Beasley’s shooting has been very good. He’s not the 42% three point shooter some claimed he would be, but he’s back to slightly below his 38.7% career average (38.5% this season). Hopefully Towns return will boost it even farther, but even now, that’s a good stat. His rebounding has looked good, and his energy is something the team needs. Unfortunately, his defense, while active, blows coverages playing hero ball, like Towns does (hopefully, “did” after a nice start avoiding that). However, he has a reasonable contract for essentially a one-way player.

I had a long car ride yesterday, and was able to give the Wolves roster a lot of thought. I came to the conclusion that he is the type of player that the Wolves should try to keep, unless they get a very good offer. I’m not sure that was Rosas’ idea, even the day he traded for him. But the Wolves need players with energy, and they need guys that want to be here, and Malik has mostly filled those roles.

I would peg his value as an expiring and a non-lotto 1st, but I don’t think we should trade him for that. If the Wolves find it impossible defensively to pair Russell and Beasley in the back court, then it’s time to test the market. I think Malik sees himself as a starter, and he has done enough here in that role to justify the position.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#35 » by Jedzz » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:32 am

shrink wrote:

I think his trade value is very good, and will be better. I still maintain that Rosas’ process for the contract was bad (to me, the GM equivalent of banking in a 20 footer with three defenders, and calling it a good shot), but Beasley’s eventual contract is still going to be a good deal, especially with the team option at the end.

:lol: Still wants to get rid of him
LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,114

Post#36 » by LesGrossman » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:38 am

Would a trade of Rubio to the Spurs somehow make sense?
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
shrink
RealGM

Post#37 » by shrink » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:02 am

Jedzz wrote:
shrink wrote:

I think his trade value is very good, and will be better. I still maintain that Rosas’ process for the contract was bad (to me, the GM equivalent of banking in a 20 footer with three defenders, and calling it a good shot), but Beasley’s eventual contract is still going to be a good deal, especially with the team option at the end.

You just can’t resist being a lying piece of crap, can you?

Here’s the part of the post you didn’t edit out. You know, my conclusions, that says the opposite of your lie?

shrink wrote: I came to the conclusion that he is the type of player that the Wolves should try to keep, unless they get a very good offer. I’m not sure that was Rosas’ idea, even the day he traded for him. But the Wolves need players with energy, and they need guys that want to be here, and Malik has mostly filled those roles.

I would peg his value as an expiring and a non-lotto 1st, but I don’t think we should trade him for that.

Same old jedz. :noway: :noway: :noway:
shrink
RealGM

Post#38 » by shrink » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:09 am

LesGrossman wrote:Would a trade of Rubio to the Spurs somehow make sense?

The Spurs have a long history of rarely making in-season trades, but I think he could help there. The pairing of Rubio and DLo is not working at all, and as much as I love Rubio, I think we should listen to offers, especially if they get us off the second year of his deal. PG is a crowded position in the NBA, so there are only a few teams that might have some interest. We don’t need a PG back in trade either - I would be comfortable with McLaughlin in the back up role.
Wolveswin
Head Coach

Post#39 » by Wolveswin » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:59 am

shrink wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
shrink wrote:I think his trade value is very good, and will be better. I still maintain that Rosas’ process for the contract was bad (to me, the GM equivalent of banking in a 20 footer with three defenders, and calling it a good shot), but Beasley’s eventual contract is still going to be a good deal, especially with the team option at the end.

You just can’t resist being a lying piece of crap, can you?

Here’s the part of the post you didn’t edit out. You know, my conclusions, that says the opposite of your lie?

shrink wrote: I came to the conclusion that he is the type of player that the Wolves should try to keep, unless they get a very good offer. I’m not sure that was Rosas’ idea, even the day he traded for him. But the Wolves need players with energy, and they need guys that want to be here, and Malik has mostly filled those roles.

I would peg his value as an expiring and a non-lotto 1st, but I don’t think we should trade him for that.

Same old jedz. :noway: :noway: :noway:

Shrink you are not having a good day on Real GM are you?
Wolveswin
Head Coach

Post#40 » by Wolveswin » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:02 am

shrink wrote:

Celtics:
FOR

Warriors:
FOR

Wolves:
Towns + Beasley
FOR

You’ve posted over a dozen variations of this on the Trade Board, and never get anyone to agree.

MIN is not going to trade KAT this year. They have 3.5 years left on his contract, he hasn’t asked out, they are not a free agent destination that’s likely to attract similar talent, they made a long commitment to Russell to make KAT happy, ad Infinitum.

Unrealistic crap. You know it, and you don’t care.

Was my trade time stamp specific enough?

I will be PMing you soon, I have some subject matter for you that needs prior approval.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves