Post Game Thoughts. Hosting Lakers.

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,327

Re: Post Game Thoughts. Hosting Lakers. 

Post#21 » by Calinks » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:33 am

wolves_89 wrote:Tonight showed the clear difference between a veteran team and an extremely young team. The vet team made the plays down the stretch and got the calls from the refs, while the young team struggled to score in the second half when the young second unit of 21 year olds was on the floor. The Lakers rotation is pretty much all 27+ age guys who are physically mature and are very experienced. The Wolves vets are 24 and half the rotation is 21 and under.

With enough time I'd be fairly optimistic about the Wolves future, the problem is the clock is ticking on Towns getting leverage to force a trade. I don't know which will happen first, that the Wolves young guys get experience and grow into what they will become or the team runs out of time.

IMO you can't just wait it out and watch the young guys grow for 2-3 more years. You have to make some moves and bring in some vets soon if you want to build around KAT. If you to rebuild again, then you can move KAT and spend 3-5 years nurturing a bunch of young players and tanking seasons.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#22 » by theGreatRC » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:39 am

Ant is an alpha at heart, he's not scared of anyone, wants the ball in crunch time, has the size, space creation & toughness we've been lacking for a long, LONG time.

We always said that KAT needs a guard that can create his own next to him, we need to groom Ant to be that type of player, he seems like he wants to be that player for this org.
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,921

Post#23 » by Klomp » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:45 am

theGreatRC wrote:Ant is an alpha at heart, he's not scared of anyone, wants the ball in crunch time, has the size, space creation & toughness we've been lacking for a long, LONG time.

We always said that KAT needs a guard that can create his own next to him, we need to groom Ant to be that type of player, he seems like he wants to be that player for this org.

Dare I say, Ant has a bit of that Jimmy-style dog in him.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
AbeVigodaLive
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,399

Post#24 » by AbeVigodaLive » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:59 am

If the Wolves coaches and players are going to ignore arguably the league's most efficient shooting big for the final 14 minutes of the game (0 points) and if arguably the league's most efficient shooting big is only going to get 21 shots and 3 free throws over two game stretches... it's time to move him.

There's no reason to build around him.

[Note: Towns is 8 - 12 on three pointers over the past 3 games. But he's shooting fewer each game.]
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#25 » by theGreatRC » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:03 am

Klomp wrote:
theGreatRC wrote:Ant is an alpha at heart, he's not scared of anyone, wants the ball in crunch time, has the size, space creation & toughness we've been lacking for a long, LONG time.

Dare I say, Ant has a bit of that Jimmy-style dog in him.

He definitely has the type of personality so many of the greats have, which is no fear.

He's turned me into believer as the season has gone on. I'd still take Ball #1, but the gap is closing every game
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by Klomp » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:07 am

AbeVigodaLive wrote:If the Wolves coaches and players are going to ignore arguably the league's most efficient shooting big for the final 14 minutes of the game (0 points) and if arguably the league's most efficient shooting big is only going to get 21 shots and 3 free throws over two game stretches... it's time to move him.

[Note: Towns is 8 - 12 on three pointers over the past 3 games. But he's shooting fewer each game.]

I think it's worth bringing up that Towns seems less aggressive than usual. I think mentally he's still not all the way back from what transpired this offseason.

Coaching can help, but I think it's a deeper issue than that.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

AbeVigodaLive
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,399

Post#27 » by AbeVigodaLive » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:12 am

Klomp wrote:
AbeVigodaLive wrote:If the Wolves coaches and players are going to ignore arguably the league's most efficient shooting big for the final 14 minutes of the game (0 points) and if arguably the league's most efficient shooting big is only going to get 21 shots and 3 free throws over two game stretches... it's time to move him.

I think it's worth bringing up that Towns seems less aggressive than usual. I think mentally he's still not all the way back from what transpired this offseason.

Coaching can help, but I think it's a deeper issue than that.

Probably a combination of factors...

- Coaching.
- Less aggressive Towns.
- Lack of cohesiveness.
- "Get Me Mine" gunners around him + other players not getting him the ball when he's open.
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#28 » by packforfreedom » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:27 am

I agree, that KAT should lead this team in shots every game, but I thought he was giving the ball to Edwards like all time. We know KAT isn't about his own numbers so I think it's possible he sacrifices shots, to speed up Ant's development.

And overall it was Edwards best game by far. He's becoming so dynamic with the ball, it's a joy to watch. His shot selection is getting better and many of his passes are on point. His 2 man game with KAT has so much potential.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by Klomp » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:29 am

winforlose wrote:Anthony Edwards is becoming a serious problem and I am amazed others don’t see it. He refuses to pass and takes stupid shots often double teamed instead of passing to open 3 point shooters. He is playing like Andrew Wiggins and you guys are encouraged. I am glad he is getting to the rim and is confident enough to shoot 3s, but he is killing the rythm of his teammates. If Edwards doesn’t play keep away from KAT and Beasley we probably win the game. Edwards is seriously overrated.

Read on Twitter

packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#30 » by packforfreedom » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:34 am

winforlose wrote:Anthony Edwards is becoming a serious problem and I am amazed others don’t see it. He refuses to pass and takes stupid shots often double teamed instead of passing to open 3 point shooters. He is playing like Andrew Wiggins and you guys are encouraged. I am glad he is getting to the rim and is confident enough to shoot 3s, but he is killing the rythm of his teammates. If Edwards doesn’t play keep away from KAT and Beasley we probably win the game. Edwards is seriously overrated.

sorry this is a bad take. At the begin of the season, he got tunnel vision like all the time, but he becoming a better playmaker by the game. He's nothing like Wiggins. He's a way better motor, way better handles and he isn't settling for jumpers, but will attack the basket if there's only the slightest opening.
Heimdal
Sophomore
And1: 147

Post#31 » by Heimdal » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:40 am

Starters went toe to toe with the Lakers the entire game. LeBron is in the game to start the 4th and he proceeds to kill our bench. Saunders doesn't want to change his rotation minutes so he lets it run for 4-5 minutes. We hopelessly go down 9 in the 4th, and you're not coming back from that hole against the NBA champs.

LeBron played 38 minutes. They were desperate.

Vanderbilt, man. Offensive rebound, and Towns is by your side. Give him the ball. Just give him the ball and move out of the way.
Then, the missed tip-in. Frustrating.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,721

Post#32 » by minimus » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:39 am

Heimdal wrote:Vanderbilt, man. Offensive rebound, and Towns is by your side. Give him the ball. Just give him the ball and move out of the way. Then, the missed tip-in. Frustrating.

“I’m like a dog chasing cars, I wouldn’t know what to do if I caught one, you know, I just do…things.”
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#33 » by Dewey » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:58 am

Ant has really been coming around ... I do see him as a willing passer, but when Ryan has us playing ISO ball, the assist game is a lesser part of the scheme. I don’t know what he’ll become, but you can’t argue that he has a unique nature about him.

KAT just don’t seem back mentally ... maybe he still has some hangover, maybe he’s bummed about DLo, but nonetheless he just don't seem engaged. IDK.

Beas has these games here and there where He forces shots... but when the offense is not
Moving, 3pt shooters like Beasley struggle cause they do not have the ability to separate with a “goto the basket” game. ANT can. Both are still better players within the offense when it’s moving.

JV rebounded - that’s his job. I’d like to start McD once just to see if he’d step up and seize it.

Ryan... Lakers gotta be thinking “wtf, we thought we had a good game going here!” ... no excuses. I thought we executed well for 3 quarters and played winning basketball, but the 4th was not representative of a coaching mastermind.

Parting thought ... ANT’s grin after shooing that 3 over LeBoy was priceless. Then it hit me!!... that look of his is a cross between Arnold from the old sitcom Different Strokes and Buckwheat of The Little Rascals.
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Sugarless
Starter
And1: 1,978

Post#34 » by Sugarless » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:49 am

Edwards took 13 shots in the second half (Towns took 2). 10 of them were jump shots, despite the fact that he's one of the worst jump shooters in the league. Almost all of those were pull-up jump shots. There are 125 players in the league who have taken at least 50 pull-up shots this season. Edwards ranks 117th in FG% among those.

This is what happened in the last 4 minutes of the game offensively for the Wolves:

- Edwards brings the ball up the court, dribbles it until there's about 10 seconds on the clock. He tries to drive past Schroeder but can't. He passes it to a closely defended Beasley on the corner. Beasley drives and forces a shot, the offensive rebound gets to Rubio and he quickly passes to Edwards, who takes a pull-up jump-shot and makes it.

- Edwards brings the ball up the court. He drives recklessly and turns it over (offensive foul) with 11 seconds left on the shot-clock. No other TW player touched the ball in that possession.

- Edwads brings the ball up the court, he tries to drive past Schroeder but can't. With about 10 seconds on the clock he passes it to Rubio on the corner. Rubio misses a constested lay-up, then Vanderbilt rebounds and misses the uncontested lay-up.

- Edwards brings the ball up the court, he tries to drive past Schroeder but can't. He passes it to KAT with 13 seconds in the shot-clock. Quick pass from KAT to Rubio, then quick pass from Rubio to Edwards, who takes a pull-up jump-shot. He misses.

- Coming off a timeout, Beasley inbounds the ball to Rubio, who immediately passes it to Edwards, who takes a dribble and another pull-up jump-shot. He misses.

- Edwards brings the ball up the court, KAT sets a pick for him and he drives unopposed and gets the foul on Gasol. 1 of 2 FTs.

- Edwards brings the ball up the court, takes a pull-up jump-shot. He misses.

- Vanderbilt get the offensive rebound, quick pass to Towns, quick pass to Rubio, quick pass to an open Beasley who makes the 3.

You're trying to win a game against the defending champions, you're trying to get this team to grow after a few solid efforts and a recent win. Then you go the last 4 minutes of a close game with your raw rookie SG running the team full-time, being the only guy who effectively touches the ball, getting stopped once and again by Dennis Schroeder of all people and yet taking almost every freaking shot and doing so in the most inefficient way -where, again, he's one of the absolute worst players in the league- while the game inevitably slips away and you end up with yet another loss, on a year where you may not even own your pick at the end. And people here are perfectly happy with it. :lol:

You are watching the same movie over and over. It's a **** terrible movie. You'll be let down and hate it in the end when you realize what a waste of time and money it was, like you've done so many times in the past, so recently. And yet you keep saying how great it is in the meantime, cause you're the only one who can't see the end coming, no matter how many times you've watched it.

The Timberwolves eternal cycle of losing, hyping high draft picks and bringing their value down due to bad management, poor coaching and no accountability has no end. The franchise loves it and so do the fans. It's hard to imagine it changing unless the team is relocated.
_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,164

Post#35 » by _AIJ_ » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:20 pm

Nowell and Beasley did absolutely nothing last night
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,114

Post#36 » by LesGrossman » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:02 pm

Reddy83 wrote:
Klomp wrote:

:lol: :-? :crazy:

Yeah this was a really bad post. Ant is a special player.

I thought it was a good post. You get caught up in the result and dont see the big picture. This is not the kind of offense that will work in the long run for this team. Wether its Ant, DLo, Beasley or Mac, each of them believes he is the best option by far. Selfish and dumb and you just cheer because this game the shots happened to fall. Do you think this is sustainable?

Somewhere here someone said Beasley was "meh" because he didnt make his shots. I believe theres something fundamentally wrong with evaluating the decision making based on the result.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves