ImageImageImage

Minnesota Timberwolves Trade Deadline Map

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 837

Minnesota Timberwolves Trade Deadline Map 

Post#1 » by UnFadeable21 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:15 am

Bobby Marks posted a map for all 30 teams but I will only include the Timberwolves Section

Minnesota Timberwolves

Front-office discussion: Besides Karl-Anthony Towns and Anthony Edwards, which player(s) on this roster are expendable? Are we comfortable that D'Angelo Russell is part of the future? How do we evaluate this roster with Towns having played only a few games this season?

Off the board: Towns ($29.5 million, UFA 2024)

Valuable trade asset: Ed Davis ($5 million, UFA) and Juancho Hernangomez ($6.5 million, UFA 2023)

Free agents in August: Davis and Jarred Vanderbilt ($1.7 million, RFA)

Controllable contracts: Edwards ($9.8 million, RFA 2024), Jarrett Culver ($6.1 million, RFA 2023), Josh Okogie ($2.7 million, RFA 2022), Jaden McDaniels ($2 million, RFA 2024), Jaylen Nowell ($1.5 million, Team 2022) and Naz Reid ($1.5 million, Team 2022)

Long-term salary: Russell ($28.7 million, UFA 2023), Ricky Rubio ($17 million, UFA 2022), Malik Beasley ($13.4 million, Team 2023) and Jake Layman ($3.8 million, UFA 2022)

Draft capital: The Timberwolves will send Golden State a top-three-protected first in 2021. If it is not conveyed, the pick will become unprotected in 2022. The earliest that Minnesota will be able to trade a first is 2024.

The finances: Minnesota has an open roster spot and is $2.8 million below the luxury tax. In 2020-21, the Timberwolves have $130 million in salary (but with 12 players under contract) and are projected $5 million below the tax.

winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,554

Re: Minnesota Timberwolves Trade Deadline Map 

Post#2 » by winforlose » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:31 am

Put it simply, Beasley, Towns, and Dlo are untouchable. Ant, Jaden, and Naz should be untouchable. Culver, Okogie, and Nowell all have potential in trades. Layman, Juancho, and Ricky are our most likely to get traded. Layman, Rubio, and Okogie for something is a package that needs discussion.
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,556

Post#3 » by Note30 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:36 am

winforlose wrote:Put it simply, Beasley, Towns, and Dlo are untouchable. Ant, Jaden, and Naz should be untouchable. Culver, Okogie, and Nowell all have potential in trades. Layman, Juancho, and Ricky are our most likely to get traded. Layman, Rubio, and Okogie for something is a package that needs discussion.

LOL DLo isn't untouchable he's untradable.
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

I was blind but now I see.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#4 » by winforlose » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:41 am

Note30 wrote:
winforlose wrote:Put it simply, Beasley, Towns, and Dlo are untouchable. Ant, Jaden, and Naz should be untouchable. Culver, Okogie, and Nowell all have potential in trades. Layman, Juancho, and Ricky are our most likely to get traded. Layman, Rubio, and Okogie for something is a package that needs discussion.

Dlo is like a mix of KAT food and KAT bait. As long as he is here we can keep the big KAT. As for his talent level, with a proper coach and system he will settle into one of the best PGs the franchise has ever had. He can shoot, he is an above average passer, and with something to play for and a proper defensive scheme I believe he can be salvaged.
UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 837

Post#5 » by UnFadeable21 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:10 am

As long as KAT wants DLo here, we can’t move him
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#6 » by moss_is_1 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:34 am

I don't see any reason why he should be untouchable. He can't play with our best player, if we can use him to upgrade, we definitely should.
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#7 » by packforfreedom » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:05 am

The only untouchable player on the roster is KAT. Everybody else can be traded for the right price. Let's not fool ourselves in thinking otherwise.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,400

Post#8 » by Crazy-Canuck » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:09 am

Kat untouchable.
Ant if a young superstar is involved.
Beasley will listen for a good offer.

(Ideally, i dont trade the 3 above at all).

Everyone else is a salary cap filler/attachment to get off a deal/ or just let go.

Dlo, theres a chance rosas will probably need to pay to get off him. So, hes likely staying.
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,524

Post#9 » by Wolveswin » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:52 am

No one is untouchable. An organization in as terrible situation like Wolves has no untouchable players. Any thought of such is laughable.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#10 » by winforlose » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:59 am

Wolveswin wrote:No one is untouchable. An organization in as terrible situation like Wolves has no untouchable players. Any thought of such is laughable.

Name a better contract than Beasley’s. Look how good Naz contract is. Ant and McDaniels are both first year players on rookie scale both of whom are showing signs of being a big deal. KAT is the best offensive big in the NBA and one of the best all time. Dlo keeps KAT here. Please explain in detail where you disagree.
Wolveswin
Head Coach

Post#11 » by Wolveswin » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:19 am

winforlose wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:No one is untouchable. An organization in as terrible situation like Wolves has no untouchable players. Any thought of such is laughable.

Name a better contract than Beasley’s. Look how good Naz contract is. Ant and McDaniels are both first year players on rookie scale both of whom are showing signs of being a big deal. KAT is the best offensive big in the NBA and one of the best all time. Dlo keeps KAT here. Please explain in detail where you disagree.

Disagree with what you said? All are rose colored glasses of true. Where in the handbook does it show because I don’t agree with you everyone on roster is touchable mean I have to disagree with you on your statements?

Fact is when/if Rosas gets a call on any player on Wolves roster — even Towns — they are available for right price. And no, that doesn’t mean only listen to Doncic for Towns unrealistic offers. Legit make this franchise better in long run offers — all will and should be considered.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#12 » by winforlose » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:00 am

Wolveswin wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Disagree with what you said? All are rose colored glasses of true. Where in the handbook does it show because I don’t agree with you everyone on roster is touchable mean I have to disagree with you on your statements?

Fact is when/if Rosas gets a call on any player on Wolves roster — even Towns — they are available for right price. And no, that doesn’t mean only listen to Doncic for Towns unrealistic offers. Legit make this franchise better in long run offers — all will and should be considered.

Yes, if the nets call and offer us Durant and Irving for KAT and Dlo (I know the money doesn’t work, but it’s the easiest off the top of my head example,) we would hard pressed to say no. But what realistic offer is coming in to acquire any of the six I listed as untouchable or should be untouchable. The last thing we need is another rebuild. We have a talent filled core now. What we lack is coaching, scheme, and leadership. Also, you can do harm by answering the phone and discussing trades. Players find out, leaks happen. We overpaid Beasley by a few mil given his legal trouble and earned a lot of loyalty from him. Start shopping him and you lose that loyalty. Start shopping KAT and have it get out and watch KAT want to leave even more. I strongly disagree with you.
Wolveswin
Head Coach

Post#13 » by Wolveswin » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:09 am

winforlose wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Yes, if the nets call and offer us Durant and Irving for KAT and Dlo (I know the money doesn’t work, but it’s the easiest off the top of my head example,) we would hard pressed to say no. But what realistic offer is coming in to acquire any of the six I listed as untouchable or should be untouchable. The last thing we need is another rebuild. We have a talent filled core now. What we lack is coaching, scheme, and leadership. Also, you can do harm by answering the phone and discussing trades. Players find out, leaks happen. We overpaid Beasley by a few mil given his legal trouble and earned a lot of loyalty from him. Start shopping him and you lose that loyalty. Start shopping KAT and have it get out and watch KAT want to leave even more. I strongly disagree with you.

Actively shopping and taking calls are way different things. Taking calls on every player is not only Rosas job, but extremely fireable offense if he does not.

NBA is big boy business. If players can’t hear their names in trade rumors or for some reason even hear their boss took calls from other GMs about trading them, and they are emotionally scarred in some way, even more reason to trade their fragile and weak minds ASAP if not sooner.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#14 » by winforlose » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:12 am

Wolveswin wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:Disagree with what you said? All are rose colored glasses of true. Where in the handbook does it show because I don’t agree with you everyone on roster is touchable mean I have to disagree with you on your statements?

Actively shopping and taking calls are way different things. Taking calls on every player is not only Rosas job, but extremely fireable offense if he does not.

NBA is big boy business. If players can’t hear their names in trade rumors or for some reason even hear their boss took calls from other GMs about trading them, and they are emotionally scarred in some way, even more reason to trade their fragile and weak minds ASAP if not sooner.

It feels like we are at a point of impass. I believe that loyalty to our guys has tangible benefits and that the last thing we need is locker room distractions. Your point is well taken that some idiot GM might call up and offer to vastly overpay for one of the six I mentioned. The odds might not be realistic but some GMs might have temporary insanity and call Rosas offering the franchise in exchange for Dlo or Naz.
Wolveswin
Head Coach

Post#15 » by Wolveswin » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:17 am

winforlose wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Talent filled roster???

You do realize that Wolves have worst record in NBA? And even if they hired the ghost of Red Auerbach tomorrow, a 3 (most likely 4) game win streak still leaves Wolves firmly in bottom 3 teams.

Even with a coach change, Wolves most likely odds of a 2021 season outcome is bottom 5 team, holding a 40% (at best) lotto chance they don’t gift Warriors their #4 overall and go into next season with no top 5 1st, no cap space, and still breaking in a new coach and system — with assets that are highly depreciated.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#16 » by winforlose » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:43 am

Wolveswin wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:Disagree with what you said? All are rose colored glasses of true. Where in the handbook does it show because I don’t agree with you everyone on roster is touchable mean I have to disagree with you on your statements?

Talent filled roster???

You do realize that Wolves have worst record in NBA? And even if they hired the ghost of Red Auerbach tomorrow, a 3 (most likely 4) game win streak still leaves Wolves firmly in bottom 3 teams.

Even with a coach change, Wolves most likely odds of a 2021 season outcome is bottom 5 team, holding a 40% (at best) lotto chance they don’t gift Warriors their #4 overall and go into next season with no top 5 1st, no cap space, and still breaking in a new coach and system — with assets that are highly depreciated.

Look at what happens to teams who lose their best player for a long stretch. Add to that our lack of chemistry, long offseason thanks to Covid, and our insanely bad coaching (I would argue we have the worst head coach in the history of the NBA who literally could not get hired as an assistant coach without using his daddy’s name.) Assuming things remain semi normal the rest of the season (Covid vaccine is a good thing,) I do think we will be better out the gate next season. If KAT stays healthy I do think we can compete for the 6-8 spots in the competitive west. That said, we need to drop small ball, fill in the gaps on our bench and look to move people like Rubio. We agree this season is lost, next season is up in the air, and of course KAT needs to stay healthy.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Post#17 » by Dewey » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:05 pm

30,000’ view... let’s assume one or the other...

1.) A .500 record maybe with a complete roster from day 1.

2.) A .250 record with absent key players and young’s players improving.

This where I flip flop ... right now, would DLo be helping us or would he be merely washing out production of Rubio and ANT? Are he or Beasley willing to play winning basketball in that 6th man role? We need to know these things, but seem we’ll never get the the whole roster in the floor
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Sugarless
Starter
And1: 1,979

Post#18 » by Sugarless » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:09 pm

Note30 wrote:

That was brilliant. :lol:
AbeVigodaLive
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,450

Post#19 » by AbeVigodaLive » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:03 pm

winforlose wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Talent filled roster???

Look at what happens to teams who lose their best player for a long stretch. Add to that our lack of chemistry, long offseason thanks to Covid, and our insanely bad coaching (I would argue we have the worst head coach in the history of the NBA who literally could not get hired as an assistant coach without using his daddy’s name.) Assuming things remain semi normal the rest of the season (Covid vaccine is a good thing,) I do think we will be better out the gate next season. If KAT stays healthy I do think we can compete for the 6-8 spots in the competitive west. That said, we need to drop small ball, fill in the gaps on our bench and look to move people like Rubio. We agree this season is lost, next season is up in the air, and of course KAT needs to stay healthy.

I don't have confidence in Saunders. I don't think he's a good coach. There's even a good chance he's a terrible coach.

But you might need to take a closer look at former head coaches... and I'm ONLY talking about this organization. The legacy of bad Wolves coaches might even be more "impressive" than the team's legacy of bad players.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#20 » by winforlose » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:10 pm

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:Talent filled roster???

I don't have confidence in Saunders. I don't think he's a good coach. There's even a good chance he's a terrible coach.

But you might need to take a closer look at former head coaches... and I'm ONLY talking about this organization. The legacy of bad Wolves coaches might even be more "impressive" than the team's legacy of bad players.

I agree it is a joke how poorly Glen has run things. Bad POBOs and GMs have blown it in ways that defy not just belief but also the law of averages. That said, nepotism hires seldom get promoted to head coach of an NBA team. Ryan has literally no talent whatsoever for coaching. His players don’t listen to him and are not motivated by him. His schemes are the dreams of other teams. At least one player will have a season best against us every single game. When a team is in a slump they thank god they play the wolves. Ryan has to go. He makes Thibs looks like a genius for gods sake.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves