Post Game Thoughts. At Bulls.

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,325

Re: Post Game Thoughts. At Bulls. 

Post#41 » by Calinks » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:49 pm

Thibs will trade for Josh and he will magically become a reliable outside shooter and transformative defensive stopper as soon as he takes that Timberwolves jersey off.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#42 » by Krapinsky » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:35 pm

winforlose wrote:
PharmD wrote:Had to gif this one

Not to suggest it was a smart play (because clearly it is not,) but doesn’t the video clearly show he got fouled multiple times? A reach, a block, and swat seem pretty evident.

Agreed. I've soured on Okogie too, but can't blame him for that clip.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,087

Post#43 » by TheZachAttack » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:16 pm

winforlose wrote:
TheZachAttack wrote:
winforlose wrote:
I am not sure I follow. Edwards is not a high percentage 3 point shooter. For the season he is 62 of 196 or 31.6% per Siri (just asked her rather looking it up on BBR.) Why in the world would you want a guy with the size and ability to finish through contact shooting 6+ 3s per game. Especially when you have a Towns, Dlo, Beasley, and potentially others (depending on the night, MCD, Reid, Nowell, JMAC.) That’s like saying you want Rubio, Vando, or Okogie shooting 6+ 3s per game.

Edwards problem isn’t his scoring, it’s that he makes dumb passes, holds the ball too much without passing, and gets tunnel vision to the point where he attacks multiple guys and loses the ball or misses the extremely difficult shot. In other words he needs to learn to play as part of the team. He needs cut out the pull up midrange, limit his 3s to a select sweet spot or sweet spots, and focus on driving.

Edwards obviously shows the potential of being a solid 3 point shooter given his form. Look at the percentages of guys like Mitchell/Luka/even Harden. These guys generally shoot 33-36% from 3 and are considered good shooters as the center point of the offense. In what world do you not want to try to develop Edwards as a shooter? You are severely limiting his ceiling, that's just absolutely bonkers wild.

Edwards game and ceiling is an alpha #1 option, in a similar vein to D. Mitchell. If you again look at Mitchell, generally he's at about 48-52% from 2 and 34-37% from 3 on volume. Edwards problem isn't the volume 3 point shooting (which he's fine at he just throws in a couple of 1-7 games right now in every 10 game stretch) it's not getting to the line, too many long 2's (instead of drives or 3's), and struggling at finishing through contact at the rim.

If Edwards hasn't shown improvement a year or so from now? Sure, we can talk about putting boundaries on his game (and then also acknowledging that he's not going to reach his ceiling). Trust me, modern scoring wings are volume 3 point shooters (even if they don't shoot 40%) and they are at times somewhat ball-stoppers. Edwards best skill is his iso scoring. That's going to stop the ball, but he's good at it and can get a bucket anytime he wants to (it's really just whether he makes it or misses it).

And I'm not even going to respond to the comparison between Edwards and Vando or Okogie or Rubio shooting 6 3's per game hahahahaha. This is the most classic Wolves fan mindset and post of all time.

Let's modernize and open up that mindset bud.

Just to be clear, because his form looks good he should make more than he already does? Isn’t there an inherent contradiction in that statement. If his form was spot on he would hit more. Also, why would want a 34% or even 35% 3 point shooter shooting them instead of guys like KAT shooting at 40% or Beasley at 39%. Jaylen Nowell is shooting about 34.5% from 3. I think Jaylen needs to improve to be more consistent. A quick google search tells me league average this year is 35.1%. Getting Edwards to improve his shooting is a goal, but developing habits that maximize his best assets are the key to his optimization. His size and speed should allow him to get to the rim and hopefully finish through contact. That should be the focus of his game. Practicing 3s is something he can and should do on his own. But taking a ton of 3s just to try and get his percentage up to average is not the way.

Because it opens up other parts of Edwards game and also the game for others? And I mean ideally he's shooting better... but are you bringing that same energy and telling Carlisle he shouldn't let Doncic shoot 3's (even when the rest of the Dallas supporting cast was combining to shoot 40+% from 3's the last few seasons) when he shot 31-32% (and this year a career high 34.9%) on 7-9 attempts per game? Is Doncic a bad scorer because he does that?

How about Donovan Mitchell shooting 34% from 3 on 7 attempts per game as a rookie? Why not just eliminate 3 point shots from his game? Wouldn't the Jazz be better off?

James Harden shooting 34-35% over the last 2 years on 9-12 attempts per game with a supporting cast shooting better than him generally... so your opinion is that the Rockets would have been better off having Harden shoot less 3's? Let's take the 3 point shot away from Harden.

Lebron shooting 33-35% from 3 most of the last few years on 5-7 attempts per game? Let's take that shot away from him too while we're at it. Why should he shoot if he's only a 34-35% shooter?

Let's have Butler stop shooting 4-5 3's per game too because he's a 33-35% 3 point shooter. He makes his team worse as their primary wing scorer.

Devin Booker should have stopped shooting 3's when he was averaging 32% and 35% the last 2 seasons on 6-8 attempts per game.

Bradley Beal only shot 35% from 3 the last 2 seasons and is shooting 33% from 3 this season as the primary wing scorer on 33% from 3.

Just bring that same energy for all of the primary wing scorers and let's turn Edwards into a 3 and D player who slashes instead of trying to develop him as a primary scorer. Love that vision for best path for the Wolves future.

I'll go with you and post on all of these other teams boards and tell them that they should stop letting their best wing player shoot 3's on volume because they only hit them at an average or slightly below average league percentage. It doesn't matter at all that it's hard to create offense and that these guys are shooting 3's off the dribble and in late game and late clock situations when buckets need to be made (as Edwards is right now). All of these players are hurting their team with their shooting. If only they would let their teammates shoot instead of them their teams would be better off. Let me know whose board we're going to first!
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#44 » by PharmD » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:12 pm

Calinks wrote:

How do you make those gifs? Do you record games on a PC or something?

I just find a youtube highlight video and use imgur's video to gif.
BadWolf
General Manager
And1: 3,239

Post#45 » by BadWolf » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:16 pm

I'm a bit confused with Edwards hate after this game. He had career high in rebounds and assists (probably), could be more eucbeniki.sio.si as always ofc. Also ball hogging and more willing to pass? Didn't notice that, at least not this game.
Heimdal
Sophomore
And1: 147

Post#46 » by Heimdal » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:34 pm

I loved this play. This is what Edwards should be encouraged to do consistently. Pass or threat to pass and attack.

Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#47 » by Calinks » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:20 pm

PharmD wrote:
Calinks wrote:

How do you make those gifs? Do you record games on a PC or something?

I just find a youtube highlight video and use imgur's video to gif.

Really? Man I need to get on this action lol.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#48 » by Calinks » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:26 pm

Heimdal wrote:I loved this play. This is what Edwards should be encouraged to do consistently. Pass or threat to pass and attack.

He has to improve on his finishing but if he can score that bucket when he gets that penetration 60 percent of the time his value skyrockets. He badly needs to get a knack for finishing. Even if he can't master it, he needs to get at least good, it will make his career.

Now granted, I really believe most of that you have coming into the league, its hard to develop but Ant can get to rim nearly at will right now, he just cannot finish. I'd put all my resources into building up his finishing ability and handle. Like drill it all off-season, screw shooting, at this point, even screw the defense, just get much better at finishing around the rim. That's buckets and free throws all day if he can start finishing.
LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,114

Post#49 » by LesGrossman » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:03 pm

I dont understand most of the suggestions here. Apparently i'm too "old school" to understand how to develop a good modern player, which is to basically allow him to yolo in relevant games in the middle of the regular season, without limit or coaching. Too bad, i thought one has to learn shooting in practice, not in the game, and also i was under the wrong impression that passing to a team mate is not something that slows ones development.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,397

Post#50 » by winforlose » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:34 pm

TheZachAttack wrote:
winforlose wrote:
TheZachAttack wrote:
Edwards obviously shows the potential of being a solid 3 point shooter given his form. Look at the percentages of guys like Mitchell/Luka/even Harden. These guys generally shoot 33-36% from 3 and are considered good shooters as the center point of the offense. In what world do you not want to try to develop Edwards as a shooter? You are severely limiting his ceiling, that's just absolutely bonkers wild.

Edwards game and ceiling is an alpha #1 option, in a similar vein to D. Mitchell. If you again look at Mitchell, generally he's at about 48-52% from 2 and 34-37% from 3 on volume. Edwards problem isn't the volume 3 point shooting (which he's fine at he just throws in a couple of 1-7 games right now in every 10 game stretch) it's not getting to the line, too many long 2's (instead of drives or 3's), and struggling at finishing through contact at the rim.

If Edwards hasn't shown improvement a year or so from now? Sure, we can talk about putting boundaries on his game (and then also acknowledging that he's not going to reach his ceiling). Trust me, modern scoring wings are volume 3 point shooters (even if they don't shoot 40%) and they are at times somewhat ball-stoppers. Edwards best skill is his iso scoring. That's going to stop the ball, but he's good at it and can get a bucket anytime he wants to (it's really just whether he makes it or misses it).

And I'm not even going to respond to the comparison between Edwards and Vando or Okogie or Rubio shooting 6 3's per game hahahahaha. This is the most classic Wolves fan mindset and post of all time.

Let's modernize and open up that mindset bud.

Just to be clear, because his form looks good he should make more than he already does? Isn’t there an inherent contradiction in that statement. If his form was spot on he would hit more. Also, why would want a 34% or even 35% 3 point shooter shooting them instead of guys like KAT shooting at 40% or Beasley at 39%. Jaylen Nowell is shooting about 34.5% from 3. I think Jaylen needs to improve to be more consistent. A quick google search tells me league average this year is 35.1%. Getting Edwards to improve his shooting is a goal, but developing habits that maximize his best assets are the key to his optimization. His size and speed should allow him to get to the rim and hopefully finish through contact. That should be the focus of his game. Practicing 3s is something he can and should do on his own. But taking a ton of 3s just to try and get his percentage up to average is not the way.

Because it opens up other parts of Edwards game and also the game for others? And I mean ideally he's shooting better... but are you bringing that same energy and telling Carlisle he shouldn't let Doncic shoot 3's (even when the rest of the Dallas supporting cast was combining to shoot 40+% from 3's the last few seasons) when he shot 31-32% (and this year a career high 34.9%) on 7-9 attempts per game? Is Doncic a bad scorer because he does that?

How about Donovan Mitchell shooting 34% from 3 on 7 attempts per game as a rookie? Why not just eliminate 3 point shots from his game? Wouldn't the Jazz be better off?

James Harden shooting 34-35% over the last 2 years on 9-12 attempts per game with a supporting cast shooting better than him generally... so your opinion is that the Rockets would have been better off having Harden shoot less 3's? Let's take the 3 point shot away from Harden.

Lebron shooting 33-35% from 3 most of the last few years on 5-7 attempts per game? Let's take that shot away from him too while we're at it. Why should he shoot if he's only a 34-35% shooter?

Let's have Butler stop shooting 4-5 3's per game too because he's a 33-35% 3 point shooter. He makes his team worse as their primary wing scorer.

Devin Booker should have stopped shooting 3's when he was averaging 32% and 35% the last 2 seasons on 6-8 attempts per game.

Bradley Beal only shot 35% from 3 the last 2 seasons and is shooting 33% from 3 this season as the primary wing scorer on 33% from 3.

Just bring that same energy for all of the primary wing scorers and let's turn Edwards into a 3 and D player who slashes instead of trying to develop him as a primary scorer. Love that vision for best path for the Wolves future.

I'll go with you and post on all of these other teams boards and tell them that they should stop letting their best wing player shoot 3's on volume because they only hit them at an average or slightly below average league percentage. It doesn't matter at all that it's hard to create offense and that these guys are shooting 3's off the dribble and in late game and late clock situations when buckets need to be made (as Edwards is right now). All of these players are hurting their team with their shooting. If only they would let their teammates shoot instead of them their teams would be better off. Let me know whose board we're going to first!

So I strongly encourage you to adjust your perspective slightly. Look at the ratio of 3s to 2s by attempts rather than makes. Finch’s comment about two/thirds drive and one third 3s is pretty close to the same strategy as the players you listed. We are not saying he shouldn’t shoot 3s, we are saying he needs better judgment about when to take them.

This game (the modern NBA game) revolves around drive and kick. Guys with dribble penetration who can draw the double or triple team and then kick out create opportunities for their teammates. At the same time those guys get their own stats on the drives they don’t kick out as well as being set up by other teammates. KAT drawing the double and kicking to Ant is a good example.

As for development, a lot of it takes place in the offseason. You work on your shooting motion and find your spots on the floor. Once you improve those you focus on your cardio and make sure you have your legs later in games to make those longer shots consistently. I never played competitive high school ball but I played in a rec center crew for over 20 years. I improved my 3 point shooting from pretty awful to one of the best in the group using those simple principles and I promise you they work on every level.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#51 » by winforlose » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:41 pm

Calinks wrote:Thibs will trade for Josh and he will magically become a reliable outside shooter and transformative defensive stopper as soon as he takes that Timberwolves jersey off.

Wouldn’t surprise me in the least. With a good coach to help him slow down and understand the game better he could be a good starter on most teams. With a great coach and support staff to help him improve his handle and shooting motion he could be a potential star. His passing instincts are strong, he wants to play drive and kick, he is high motor, and goes for every 50/50 ball. Plus you cannot teach ups or toughness and he has both.

Okogie’s issues are 3 fold. 1, his outside shooting is not good enough to force serious perimeter defense. 2, his handle is not quite good enough to get to the rim consistently and finish through a double team. He can usually handle single coverage but once the big helps he is in trouble. 3, he plays too quickly. He doesn’t stay under control because he is always rushing to get things done. If I was his coach I teach him from the perspective of a PG to help him understand the flow of the game. I pair him with a PG coach to help him improve his handle and make that the focus on an entire off season. Then we work on his shot and shooting mechanics. You want proof you can blow a development, look no further than JO.
    TheZachAttack
    Bench Warmer
    And1: 1,087

Post#52 » by TheZachAttack » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:28 am

winforlose wrote:
    TheZachAttack wrote:
    winforlose wrote:

So I strongly encourage you to adjust your perspective slightly. Look at the ratio of 3s to 2s by attempts rather than makes. Finch’s comment about two/thirds drive and one third 3s is pretty close to the same strategy as the players you listed. We are not saying he shouldn’t shoot 3s, we are saying he needs better judgment about when to take them.

This game (the modern NBA game) revolves around drive and kick. Guys with dribble penetration who can draw the double or triple team and then kick out create opportunities for their teammates. At the same time those guys get their own stats on the drives they don’t kick out as well as being set up by other teammates. KAT drawing the double and kicking to Ant is a good example.

As for development, a lot of it takes place in the offseason. You work on your shooting motion and find your spots on the floor. Once you improve those you focus on your cardio and make sure you have your legs later in games to make those longer shots consistently. I never played competitive high school ball but I played in a rec center crew for over 20 years. I improved my 3 point shooting from pretty awful to one of the best in the group using those simple principles and I promise you they work on every level.

I didn’t say anything about dribble penetration or focusing on drive and kick or any of those things. I’m confused?

Ant needs to get the ball more and drive more. He doesn’t need to stop shooting 6-8 3’s per game that was my only point. Cut out the long 2’s and turn those into drive and kicks, sure. You were saying something different entirely at the start from what you’ve pivoted to here
    winforlose
    General Manager

Post#53 » by winforlose » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:37 am

TheZachAttack wrote:
    winforlose wrote:
    TheZachAttack wrote:

I didn’t say anything about dribble penetration or focusing on drive and kick or any of those things. I’m confused?

Ant needs to get the ball more and drive more. He doesn’t need to stop shooting 6-8 3’s per game that was my only point. Cut out the long 2’s and turn those into drive and kicks, sure. You were saying something different entirely at the start from what you’ve pivoted to here

I was referencing the coach’s comments after the game. I wasn’t aware that you were unaware of them. Finch told Edwards to follow a ratio of 2/3 drive and 1 third pull up. I agree with this. If he takes 15 shots a game by that ratio he isn’t taking 6-8 3s. That said, I still worry that 5 might be too much for him now given his percentage makes, but the hope is they are open at least. Also, barring a red hot shooting night he should not be exceeding 15 shots per night. If he is then something has gone wrong and needs fixing. Ball movement, multiple guys getting and staying in rhythm, inside outside, this is how you win. Ant isn’t Harden, or Durant, or Curry, and until he scores more consistently he needs to stop pretending to be. He needs to learn to play within himself and play team ball, then if he develops star level shooting he can worry about taking more shots.
    LesGrossman
    Head Coach

Post#54 » by LesGrossman » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:42 am

winforlose wrote:
    TheZachAttack wrote:
    winforlose wrote:

I was referencing the coach’s comments after the game. I wasn’t aware that you were unaware of them. Finch told Edwards to follow a ratio of 2/3 drive and 1 third pull up. I agree with this. If he takes 15 shots a game by that ratio he isn’t taking 6-8 3s. That said, I still worry that 5 might be too much for him now given his percentage makes, but the hope is they are open at least. Also, barring a red hot shooting night he should not be exceeding 15 shots per night. If he is then something has gone wrong and needs fixing. Ball movement, multiple guys getting and staying in rhythm, inside outside, this is how you win. Ant isn’t Harden, or Durant, or Curry, and until he scores more consistently he needs to stop pretending to be. He needs to learn to play within himself and play team ball, then if he develops star level shooting he can worry about taking more shots.

I believe the whole approach of chasing a number of shots is wrong, but it is literally what he does - he forces up bad shots as if they were going out of business soon. He should take good shots first and foremost. If he gets double teamed he must learn to pass the ball, theres no way around it, and thats where he gets tunnel vision and insists in shooting himself (he passes at times, but not often out of pressure). If he is left open he can shoot, if he is being well guarded he needs to let others shoot. Its not that complicated. The key isnt to get him numbers here. The key is to win games by him (and everyone else) playing the right way.
    Pray for Israel
    Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
    winforlose
    General Manager

Post#55 » by winforlose » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:33 am

LesGrossman wrote:
    winforlose wrote:
    TheZachAttack wrote:

I believe the whole approach of chasing a number of shots is wrong, but it is literally what he does - he forces up bad shots as if they were going out of business soon. He should take good shots first and foremost. If he gets double teamed he must learn to pass the ball, theres no way around it, and thats where he gets tunnel vision and insists in shooting himself (he passes at times, but not often out of pressure). If he is left open he can shoot, if he is being well guarded he needs to let others shoot. Its not that complicated. The key isnt to get him numbers here. The key is to win games by him (and everyone else) playing the right way.

I see your point. I would just try to limit his max shots as a means of ensuring he isn’t ball hogging and killing the rhythm. I think his issue is he wants to be ROTY and live up to the #1 spot. The problem is that is all about him, and there is no I in basketball team. I agree 100% Les, winning is far a better way to prove your value then putting up big numbers in a loss every game.
    Worm Guts
    Forum Mod - Timberwolves
    Forum Mod - Timberwolves
    And1: 10,528

Post#56 » by Worm Guts » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:49 pm

I don't think we draft Edwards to be the type of player that lets the offense come to him. He supposed to be the guy that looks to score. No, he shouldn't force things that aren't there, but I would rather have him be over aggressive than passive.
    winforlose
    General Manager

Post#57 » by winforlose » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:08 pm

Worm Guts wrote:I don't think we draft Edwards to be the type of player that lets the offense come to him. He supposed to be the guy that looks to score. No, he shouldn't force things that aren't there, but I would rather have him be over aggressive than passive.

Can we agree that we need to get Beasley and Towns shooting more open 3s? If we can then the answer is Edwards driving and kicking. I want him to score as well, but knowing when to pass and when to shoot is the big lesson he needs to learn.
    Shaka_Zulu
    Bench Warmer
    And1: 1,700

Post#58 » by Shaka_Zulu » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:02 am

TheZachAttack wrote:It makes sense why the refs called that Rubio call now. Per the Dane Moore podcast listening to Towns postgame (I'll paraphrase)

-Towns talked to the ref to understand the foul call.
    -The ref told him that he thought they were trying to foul so he was giving them the touch foul to stop the clock and play the free throw game
    -KAT responded why would we be trying to foul with a 7 second differential and a guy with 5 fouls on a guy we had trapped in against the sideline? That makes no sense.

Refs are literally calling the game differently based on their interpretation of what should happen like a coach. You have to be kidding me.
    Any ref who gives that explanation needs to be fired on the spot.
    winforlose
    General Manager

Post#59 » by winforlose » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:33 am

Shaka_Zulu wrote:
    TheZachAttack wrote:It makes sense why the refs called that Rubio call now. Per the Dane Moore podcast listening to Towns postgame (I'll paraphrase)

-The ref told him that he thought they were trying to foul so he was giving them the touch foul to stop the clock and play the free throw game
    -KAT responded why would we be trying to foul with a 7 second differential and a guy with 5 fouls on a guy we had trapped in against the sideline? That makes no sense.

Refs are literally calling the game differently based on their interpretation of what should happen like a coach. You have to be kidding me.

Agree and add that the 2 minute report says it wasn’t even a foul at all. The “helping” was based on nothing at all.
    LesGrossman
    Head Coach

Post#60 » by LesGrossman » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:37 pm

winforlose wrote:
    Shaka_Zulu wrote:

Agree and add that the 2 minute report says it wasn’t even a foul at all. The “helping” was based on nothing at all.

Well fortunately it didnt change the outcome of the game - woudlnt want to win games that way - while still allowing us to understand the merits of letting Rubio finish games. He has been clutch throughout his career
    Pray for Israel
    Peace in Jerusalem

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves