ImageImageImage

Is Anyone Reading the New KG Book?

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,648

Is Anyone Reading the New KG Book? 

Post#1 » by shrink » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:15 pm

I am not, but I’d love to hear excerpts.

Rosen mentioned on KFAN yesterday that Garnett admitted for the first time that he has ADHD and dyslexia.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
m2002brian
Veteran
And1: 1,115

Re: Is Anyone Reading the New KG Book? 

Post#2 » by m2002brian » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:43 pm

Well I guess we know one guy who’s not reading the book.
J/K

Really though, of anyone has it, let us know if there’s any gold in there. There’s bound to be some good nuggets.
BLUEGREENRED
Rookie-Mistake
Rookie
And1: 390

Post#3 » by Rookie-Mistake » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:22 pm

Not yet. I didn't know there was a book. I will purchase and give it a read.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using RealGM mobile app
SCTwins
Rookie
And1: 884

Post#4 » by SCTwins » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:13 pm

I was gonna wait for a sale or a price drop. I don't get into autobiographies too much, so $24.99 is a bit high for my interest level, though I might cave eventually because I love me some KG.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,350

Post#5 » by Calinks » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:30 pm

Been on a reading kick lately so I probably will get but I also want a prices drop.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
shrink
RealGM

Post#6 » by shrink » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:12 pm

I found a review, with a long excerpt, of the moment he won his ring in Boston.

https://www.simonandschuster.com/books/KG-A-to-Z/Kevin-Garnett/9781982170325
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#7 » by King Malta » Tue Mar 2, 2021 12:55 am

Just purchased my copy yesterday, should get it in a couple of weeks.
WolfAddict
Rookie
And1: 1,544

Post#8 » by WolfAddict » Tue Mar 2, 2021 1:52 am

I'm one of the biggest bibliophiles there is so I'll be getting it as soon as the missus allows it.... :)
m2002brian
Veteran
And1: 1,115

Post#9 » by m2002brian » Tue Mar 2, 2021 2:08 am

shrink wrote:I found a review, with a long excerpt, of the moment he won his ring in Boston.

“This ain’t that Minnesota ****”

Lol,
Somethings never change.
Minnesota basketball is ****.

I saw the Cubs and the Red Sox win the World Series in my lifetime, that should be enough. But I look forward to the day Minnesota basketball, once again, dominates the NBA.
BLUEGREENRED
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,350

Post#10 » by Calinks » Tue Mar 2, 2021 3:32 am

m2002brian wrote:
shrink wrote:I found a review, with a long excerpt, of the moment he won his ring in Boston.

“This ain’t that Minnesota ****”

Lol,
Somethings never change.
Minnesota basketball is ****.

I saw the Cubs and the Red Sox win the World Series in my lifetime, that should be enough. But I look forward to the day Minnesota basketball, once again, dominates the NBA.

Sad to say but we have pretty much been a low rent organization after the first few years we entered the NBA. Just have been unable to elevate this franchise no matter who is in charge. Has to be one of the hardest jobs in sports. Just always bad outside of the KG years.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#11 » by theGreatRC » Tue Mar 9, 2021 4:22 am

I bought the book, something that I didn't know was about Billups:

KG mentions he knew Billups in high school..they were supposed to play in a game together that featured the top high school players in 1995..KG won MVP of the game and Paul Pierce was the leading scorer..Billups was out with an injured shoulder.

ANYWAY, the important part is

KG was so excited when Billups joined the Timberwolves because they became friends as they came up in the league, KG even named a room in his Minnesota house the "Billups suite" cause his fam and KG's fam would hang out during off seasons.

So when Billups joined the team, he was told he wouldn't be starting, he'd be backing up Terell Brandon.

Basically that season, Billups had a coming out party and looked to be part of the future.

He was a Free agent and wanted to stay on the Wolves (KG wanted him to stay)but he was again told he wouldn't start...he then went on to Detroit and won it all the following year or two in Detroit AND won finals MVP..

This freaking franchise man...
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#12 » by Jedzz » Tue Mar 9, 2021 5:25 am

theGreatRC wrote:I bought the book, something that I didn't know was about Billups:

KG mentions he knew Billups in high school..they were supposed to play in a game together that featured the top high school players in 1995..KG won MVP of the game and Paul Pierce was the leading scorer..Billups was out with an injured shoulder.

KG was so excited when Billups joined the Timberwolves because they became friends as they came up in the league, KG even named a room in his Minnesota house the "Billups suite" cause his fam and KG's fam would hang out during off seasons.

So when Billups joined the team, he was told he wouldn't be starting, he'd be backing up Terell Brandon.

Basically that season, Billups had a coming out party and looked to be part of the future.

He was a Free agent and wanted to stay on the Wolves (KG wanted him to stay)but he was again told he wouldn't start...he then went on to Detroit and won it all the following year or two in Detroit AND won finals MVP..

Thanks for sharing that.

Everyone will walk off a cliff for good if one day JMac wins MVP and a ring for some random team.

Spoiler:
:-? :lol: :wink:
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#13 » by theGreatRC » Tue Mar 9, 2021 5:33 am

Jedzz wrote:
theGreatRC wrote:I bought the book, something that I didn't know was about Billups:

Thanks for sharing that.

Everyone will walk off a cliff for good if one day JMac wins MVP and a ring for some random team.

Spoiler:
:-? :lol: :wink:

No problem, i'll add more to this thread as I go on..only read the first 40~ pages
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,947

Post#14 » by Klomp » Tue Mar 9, 2021 6:15 am

Rosas righting wrongs by treating the star's bestie better than previous regimes did.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#15 » by Jedzz » Tue Mar 9, 2021 2:45 pm

Klomp wrote:Rosas righting wrongs by treating the star's bestie better than previous regimes did.

You mean like starting the season with him playing off bench, and therefore adding to the collective Dlo haters beliefs that he shouldn't start here and that this team had better options? Then letting him start after Kat was out to run the development tank with youngsters wagging the dog?

As soon as KAT was injured and out...

Game 3 (36 point loss)
Jarrett Culver 29:25 mins
Ant Edwards 28:32 mins
D'Angelo Russell 20:35 mins
Ricky Rubio 18:06 mins

Both Russell and Rubio minutes drop off chart from the first two games and first two wins.
This tells the vets what they need to know about this team only 3 games into season. Same old Timberwolves.

Season...dead

Go back to the year prior when one or two short term outages for injury or sickness had Culver starting at PG already and the team tanking the season for developing after a nice fast start with early wins and a record jump start on the west. Wasted. Strings of losses the rest of way - Wolves-style. "Trust the Prosas," it wil be different!
AbeVigodaLive
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,399

Post#16 » by AbeVigodaLive » Tue Mar 9, 2021 3:32 pm

Jedzz wrote:
Klomp wrote:Rosas righting wrongs by treating the star's bestie better than previous regimes did.

You mean like starting the season with him playing off bench, and therefore adding to the collective Dlo haters beliefs that he shouldn't start here and that this team had better options? Then letting him start after Kat was out to run the development tank with youngsters wagging the dog?

Game 3 (36 point loss)

Both Russell and Rubio minutes drop off chart from the first two games and first two wins.
This tells the vets what they need to know about this team only 3 games into season. Same old Timberwolves.

Season...dead

Go back to the year prior when one or two short term outages for injury or sickness had Culver starting at PG already and the team tanking the season for developing after a nice fast start with early wins and a record jump start on the west. Wasted. Strings of losses the rest of way - Wolves-style. "Trust the Prosas," it wil be different!

To be fair... the Wolves were down 25 points midway through the 2nd quarter... with starters Russell, Beasley and Reid all on pace to play 30+ mpg.

Less than 5 minutes into the 2nd half... after Russell had his 4th TO of the quarter... and the Wolves were down 31 points... the Wolves went to the reserves. Russell didn't return to the game in the blowout loss. Beasley and Rubio also sat the entire 4th quarter.

It was also the 2nd game of a back-to-back right around the holidays. Two days later... Russell led the team in minutes vs. the Clippers.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#17 » by Worm Guts » Tue Mar 9, 2021 4:34 pm

It's easy to look in hindsight and criticize. Obviously Billups became a HOF player, but Brandon was borderline all-star and Billups was on his 4th team in 5 seasons. It was a tough call at that moment.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#18 » by Merc_Porto » Tue Mar 9, 2021 4:58 pm

Jedzz wrote:You mean like starting the season with him playing off bench, and therefore adding to the collective Dlo haters beliefs that he shouldn't start here and that this team had better options? Then letting him start after Kat was out to run the development tank with youngsters wagging the dog?

Read on Twitter

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
shrink
RealGM

Post#19 » by shrink » Tue Mar 9, 2021 5:58 pm

mercgold3 wrote:
Jedzz wrote:You mean like starting the season with him playing off bench, and therefore adding to the collective Dlo haters beliefs that he shouldn't start here and that this team had better options? Then letting him start after Kat was out to run the development tank with youngsters wagging the dog?

Read on Twitter

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Plus as I recall, this was all on DLo. The results were delayed because he blew off the original, morning Covid test.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#20 » by Jedzz » Tue Mar 9, 2021 6:44 pm

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

Game 3 (36 point loss)

Season...dead

To be fair... the Wolves were down 25 points midway through the 2nd quarter... with starters Russell, Beasley and Reid all on pace to play 30+ mpg.

Less than 5 minutes into the 2nd half... after Russell had his 4th TO of the quarter... and the Wolves were down 31 points... the Wolves went to the reserves. Russell didn't return to the game in the blowout loss. Beasley and Rubio also sat the entire 4th quarter.

It was also the 2nd game of a back-to-back right around the holidays. Two days later... Russell led the team in minutes vs. the Clippers.

Fair to who? Culver/Edwards didn't sit until the 2nd half. They didn't reach near 30 minutes by waiting their turn until second half. They were preloaded in for this game, involved too much initiating early, breaking up the leading roles of Dlo/Rubio and not playing with them as the lead. Turnovers? Why do you think some of those happen? I've maintained the team's direction for those Edwards/Culver early (and Beasley even) directing them to initiate and create on their own broke this season early and it's at the root of this blowout and the string of losses that would begin. But you "being fair" throwing it at the feet of Dlo, Beas, Reid. (I notice you leave Rubio out).

You can cherry pick later games as you want and I can do the same and show more of the same. The reality and point here is only 3 games into season the coach and gm/pobo showed this team how much they care about winning or don't and the importance they were putting on guys like Culver/Edwards over who should have been leaders here.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves