ImageImageImage

The easiest roadmap to keeping Towns and winning in the next 1-2 years...

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,263

Re: The easiest roadmap to keeping Towns and winning in the next 1-2 years... 

Post#41 » by Baseline81 » Thu Mar 4, 2021 4:34 am

Jedzz wrote:Don't get mad man. Get even. I can take the tongue lashing and usually deserve it. But I'm not excusing this mediocrity avoidance defensive mechanism claim anymore. You say mediocrity sucks. I say losing by 20-30-40 every game sucks. I'll take .500 ball every day of the week over this.

Of course you will until it happens for a few years in a row. At that point, you'll say the "win one, lose one" approach has to change.
UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 837

Post#42 » by UnFadeable21 » Thu Mar 4, 2021 4:39 am

Baseline81 wrote:
Jedzz wrote:Don't get mad man. Get even. I can take the tongue lashing and usually deserve it. But I'm not excusing this mediocrity avoidance defensive mechanism claim anymore. You say mediocrity sucks. I say losing by 20-30-40 every game sucks. I'll take .500 ball every day of the week over this.

Of course you will until it happens for a few years in a row. At that point, you'll say the "win one, lose one" approach has to change.

Just remember that Fade told you Lamelo ball would be the best player in the draft and you didn’t believe him.
Baseline81
Starter

Post#43 » by Baseline81 » Thu Mar 4, 2021 4:48 am

UnFadeable21 wrote:Just remember that Fade told you Lamelo ball would be the best player in the draft and you didn’t believe him.

Remember when you said this:
Wiggins will be a better Demar Derozan. Demar made the all star his 5th season, Wiggins will too.

Guess you don't want to bring up the times you were wrong. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#44 » by Jedzz » Thu Mar 4, 2021 4:50 am

Baseline81 wrote:

You think so? Probably. But it will be a much quieter growl than what's growing right now. I remember when Butler and Thibs had the team starting to charge a bit in December and it was ugly every other game or even every game. They would win two against teams in west looking for playoffs and then drop two to East teams. Sure we complained a little about that but were also much more enganged in the season, in every game, and had good reason to. So please don't tell me it's the same as the hate and disdain I feel for quitting on seasons 10 games in and the GM saying he always knew it would be a development year, watching 10-15 game losing streaks and blowouts all while claiming it's our choice because we don't want to just be mediocre. These people don't know how to be anything better or how to even get to that level.
UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 837

Post#45 » by UnFadeable21 » Thu Mar 4, 2021 4:59 am

Baseline81 wrote:
UnFadeable21 wrote:Just remember that Fade told you Lamelo ball would be the best player in the draft and you didn’t believe him.

Remember when you said this:
Wiggins will be a better Demar Derozan. Demar made the all star his 5th season, Wiggins will too.

Guess you don't want to bring up the times you were wrong. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Read on Twitter

I liked Wigs in Minnesota. He was solid. 20-4-3 every night with defense. Never became the star we all wanted too.

Just remember I told you about Lamelo Ball and you were so worried about Lavar noob
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#46 » by Jedzz » Thu Mar 4, 2021 5:32 am

Baseline81 wrote:
Jedzz wrote:KAT was supposed to be a great defender. Remember that draft?

Dunn was the automatic BPA and supposedly two way stud.

Edwards was instantly going to improve on his best 31% shooting simply by choosing better shots.

Now Cunningham or Suggs are the answer because...

The draft always cures this team.

Explain the turnarounds in Philadelphia (before Embiid and Simmons) and Dallas (before Doncic).

uh, Philly went all out tanking how many seasons in a row and let everyone know it? They went all in it and ended up with two players. I won't call what they did a success per say. But they afterwards went the extra mile trying to make it work. For years they had horrible roster construction around a unique super athlete/assist machine and net fiend that needs to be on ball to get his best but can't shoot from beyond 6ft out. Then they overpaid some of the largest contracts I've seen at nearly one time to three players trying to make something out of the Duo they drafted. Still didn't get them there yet, had to move some of those guys already. But tell me MN has put this much concerted effort and money into their attempts to tank build. Tell me the Wolves would Max a player (Butler) for a one year stint just to see if that one more piece could get there. They were one shot away because they tried to actually build something around those two pick finds and took a shot. MN never builds and takes shots by adding the vets that can fill the voids. Unless you count Thibs who was run out of town here for it.

Mavericks have only 3 seasons below .500 ball in the past 20 years. Doncic or not they would have climbed out of their mini slump below .500. They are only winning .515 with him now.

Don't bring these horrible examples to my table trying to speak towards some alternative point to my post. My post was about how everyone assumes they know who these college players are before they are drafted and how they will perform at this level and think they can plug them in and that's what they will get. Look at our examples drafted. They aren't what your imaginations said they were. So why do people think their imaginatinos on these next picks will be any different? We could go on and on. Culver was supposed to be this great playmaker that carried his college team. I had endless arguments about this when he was selected. Everyone claimed he would instantly need to start over our crap point guards and save the day. He's about as far from something claimed as I've seen. Between Culver and Dunn people should be calling BPA a three letter swear word. The college game isn't the same. What flies there may not fly here. We just can't know for sure so tossing endless seasons away for your imaginations on some of these future drafted players is just wasteful crazy.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,457

Post#47 » by Foye » Thu Mar 4, 2021 12:09 pm

TRik wrote:
Foye wrote:I don't get it.
Why do people not understand that the least thing the Wolves needs is another undersized PF in Aaron Gordon?

If this was my team, Towns would have long been moved to the PF spot and the first thing to do is acquire anyone available 6-11 or bigger to solely focus on rim protection, rebounding and blocking shots for at least 25 minutes a night.

That said, I believe everyone knows it already...I would also sell Towns to the highest bidder as soon as possible if I got a good offer.

Yup. Which is why I’d like to see us start Reid with KAT until a better option becomes available. People poo-poo that idea, but we’re the worst team in the league...so I’m down for trying out different things.

Worth a try but it most likely wont lead to anything.
Reid is undersized as well and a bad defender.
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,280

Post#48 » by andyhop » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:46 am

Hard to see it happening outside of finding a GM dumb enough to take DLo or a plane crash that makes it unnecessary
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
breatnach
Starter
And1: 826

Post#49 » by breatnach » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:34 am

It all hangs in the ping-pong balls. If we have to surrender the pick, we might as well blow it up.

We're paying stupid amounts of the cap to players who do not deserve it and are not a free-agent destination. If we don't score in the draft that sets us back some (Culver). And if we don't even have a pick to make, well...
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#50 » by theGreatRC » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:20 am

andyhop wrote:Hard to see it happening outside of finding a GM dumb enough to take DLo or a plane crash that makes it unnecessary

??? :nonono:
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
Rookie-Mistake
Rookie
And1: 390

Post#51 » by Rookie-Mistake » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:46 am

We don't deserve another pick #1. We've blown two in a row. Time to take our medicine.
breatnach wrote:It all hangs in the ping-pong balls. If we have to surrender the pick, we might as well blow it up.

We're paying stupid amounts of the cap to players who do not deserve it and are not a free-agent destination. If we don't score in the draft that sets us back some (Culver). And if we don't even have a pick to make, well...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using RealGM mobile app
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#52 » by Dewey » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:23 pm

Until the franchise can ...

1. Get a staff in place that holds players accountable ... does not appear to be present. Our rotations don’t show it. Our shot selection does not show it. Our defense clearly does not show it.

2. Acquire a legitimate team leader ... I believe Sam Cassell was the last player I viewed as a True team leader ... KG had a lot of strong personality, but Sam was a more natural leader.

3. Grit... at some point you want opponents to dread coming to MN, but right now, they roll in understaffed expecting an easy win.

... everything other whining excuse is mere wasted energy
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#53 » by Worm Guts » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:11 pm

Rookie-Mistake wrote:We don't deserve another pick #1. We've blown two in a row. Time to take our medicine.
breatnach wrote:It all hangs in the ping-pong balls. If we have to surrender the pick, we might as well blow it up.

Two in row? Towns wasn't a blown pick.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,196

Post#54 » by Neeva » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:25 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
Rookie-Mistake wrote:We don't deserve another pick #1. We've blown two in a row. Time to take our medicine.

ant isn’t a blown pick either.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,196

Post#55 » by Neeva » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:31 pm

Hey we know you are riding lamelos ballsack now but most of us know damn well you wanted Killian Hayes as your top guard in the draft and had him second after Wiseman lol now that is a bust looking rookie...
breatnach
Starter
And1: 826

Post#56 » by breatnach » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:56 pm

The verdict on Ant is still out and Towns (and even Wiggins) were the right pick. Not every #1 pick will win MVP and not every MVP was picked #1. KAT on a max deal is fine. Wiggins on a max deal is not.

I do wonder if the NBA was in fact rigging the lottery... (stay with me here) would they even want us to keep our pick? Maybe they are scared of losing a blue-chip prospect like Cade to the cold North, when they could instead send him to the Bay Area. I'm sure you could sell a lot more merch down there.

On the other hand, they probably want the sale of the franchise to be as high as possible and having a valuable asset like the #1 would probably increase sale value. If Glen gets a big paycheck, then that will also increase the asking price for expansion franchises in Vegas and Seattle. The last thing they want is for Glen to be forced to accept a low-ball offer, because that will make the overall league look bad.
Rookie-Mistake
Rookie

Post#57 » by Rookie-Mistake » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:30 pm

Culver. Edwards.
Worm Guts wrote:

Rookie-Mistake
Rookie

Post#58 » by Rookie-Mistake » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:36 pm

Compared to Lamelo at this stage. I say it is a blown pick. Would you be able to trade ant for Lamelo now? Charlotte laugh at you if you offered that trade.
Neeva wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:

ant isn’t a blown pick either.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,947

Post#59 » by Klomp » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:48 pm

andyhop wrote:Hard to see it happening outside of finding a GM dumb enough to take DLo or a plane crash that makes it unnecessary

WTF!
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Baseline81
Starter

Post#60 » by Baseline81 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:57 pm

Rookie-Mistake wrote:Culver. Edwards.

Please do not confuse first round pick and first overall pick.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves