No, clueless talent evaluator & philosophy
86%

Total votes: 29

Wolf_Cry
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,378

Re: Gersson Rosas - In or Out?! 

Post#21 » by Wolf_Cry » Thu Mar 4, 2021 1:43 pm

The sooner he is gone, the better. I've seen enough blunders that I don't want him making any more decisions. That's right, I'm going on record right now and you can quote me. He's a dud. It's actually surprising and funny that he's mentioned in the same sentence as analytics because he's shown he's anything but that. Dude doesn't understand ****. Shame really, because he had a great track record leading up to this first GM job. Of course the "respectable" thing to do is to keep him a while longer and see how his bed looks possibly by the end of next year.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,457

Post#22 » by Foye » Thu Mar 4, 2021 1:58 pm

Dalvin wrote:If he only didn't bank his whole process on D' Lo, he might've been a competent GM

Nope.
AbeVigodaLive
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,399

Post#23 » by AbeVigodaLive » Thu Mar 4, 2021 2:11 pm

UnFadeable21 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Cool. I guess.

We'll see what comes of it.
Foye

Post#24 » by Foye » Thu Mar 4, 2021 2:12 pm

He took over a mediocre team with assets and somehow managed to become the worst team in the league all while trading away the 2021 1st in a draft fairly crowded with talented prospects.

He needs to go. There is no alternative to that.
Wolf_Cry
Lead Assistant

Post#25 » by Wolf_Cry » Thu Mar 4, 2021 2:27 pm

Foye wrote:He took over a mediocre team with assets and somehow managed to become the worst team in the league all while trading away the 2021 1st in a draft fairly crowded with talented prospects.

That DLo trade is killing me. Even when it was made, I was not a fan of it. Gave up way too much for a player who isn't even a star.
TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,087

Post#26 » by TheZachAttack » Thu Mar 4, 2021 3:39 pm

I sincerely believe that fate of this franchise in Minnesota rests on the outcome of that 40% shot at a pick this season. If we lose that pick... Rosas is soon out... Towns requests a trade... Taylor sells the team... and we're heading elsewhere.
TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer

Post#27 » by TheZachAttack » Thu Mar 4, 2021 3:42 pm

I will also add that I'm a strong believer in analytics. However, Rosas's messaging about analytics and his roster decisions have never matched. He targets players who can't space the floor and don't fit the system he wants to play. We then play a small ball system with a certain type of shot selection and force players who can't shoot or can't defend that position to play in that system. We don't get any of the benefits and we shouldn't be surprised by the results.
Foye

Post#28 » by Foye » Thu Mar 4, 2021 4:37 pm

Wolf_Cry wrote:
Foye wrote:He took over a mediocre team with assets and somehow managed to become the worst team in the league all while trading away the 2021 1st in a draft fairly crowded with talented prospects.

That DLo trade is killing me. Even when it was made, I was not a fan of it. Gave up way too much for a player who isn't even a star.

Rosas was swinging for a home run but the only thing he hit was his own face. Probably the only guy in the league believing that Russell has serious star potential.
One might argue that Russell had better stats than Wiggins and his perception around the league was not as negative but he was also more injury prone and has a questionable head on his shoulders.
There was literally no incentive whatsoever for Minnesota to trade away a top 3 protected (unprotected in 2022) for him.
A straight up swap would've been decent value-wise (although I still would not have made that deal) but he completely killed the franchise giving up that top pick.

The franchise is already the laughingstock of the league and at some point you have to admit you hired a bum that destroyed your franchise short-term future and gotta move on instead of letting him destroy the mid- and long-term future as well.
Because one thing is sure - there is no continous success possible while having an amateur like Gersson Rosas as your primary decision maker.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#29 » by Crazy-Canuck » Thu Mar 4, 2021 4:52 pm

I dont think position less basketball is a bad idea. The problem is the roster construction and thats on rosas. He wants a team that can defend, attack the rim, and shoot 3s. Yet, none of the players he brought in check those boxes.

Dlo? Cant attack nor defend.
Beasley? Cant attack nor defend.
Rubio? Cant attack nor shoot.
Culver? Cant attack nor shoot.
Ant? TBD.

Its weird that the guys he traded away like cov and wiggins better fit the style rosas wants to play.
Foye

Post#30 » by Foye » Thu Mar 4, 2021 5:10 pm

Crazy-Canuck wrote:I dont think position less basketball is a bad idea. The problem is the roster construction and thats on rosas. He wants a team that can defend, attack the rim, and shoot 3s. Yet, none of the players he brought in check those boxes.

Dlo? Cant attack nor defend.
Beasley? Cant attack nor defend.
Rubio? Cant attack nor shoot.
Culver? Cant attack nor shoot.
Ant? TBD.

Its weird that the guys he traded away like cov and wiggins better fit the style rosas wants to play.

Those were Thibs players. He couldnt cement his losing legacy without getting rid of them lmao
NebWolvesFan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#31 » by NebWolvesFan » Thu Mar 4, 2021 5:14 pm

Rosas has barely been on the job for a year. And he took over a team that was going nowhere. It had "untradeable" players like Wiggins, Dieng, Teague and the previous front office drafted horribly (Dunn, Okogie, KBP) . While Culver was a miss, this team still has a good group of young talented players (Ried, McDaniels, Vando, Nowell, Edwards are all under 22) and while Russell and Beasley aren't complete players if there was a ranking on players both would end up ahead of Wiggins and soon ahead of Covington.

In my opinion, Rosas has made three bad moves.
1. Drafting Culver when Minnesota needed shooting
2. Choosing Ryan to coach this year's team
3. Trading for Rubio

He has already made a change with No. 2. Let's see what he does with Culver and Rubio. He needs a chance to potentially fix those problems. He deserves at least one more season.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#32 » by Jedzz » Thu Mar 4, 2021 6:32 pm

TheZachAttack wrote:I will also add that I'm a strong believer in analytics. However, Rosas's messaging about analytics and his roster decisions have never matched. He targets players who can't space the floor and don't fit the system he wants to play. We then play a small ball system with a certain type of shot selection and force players who can't shoot or can't defend that position to play in that system. We don't get any of the benefits and we shouldn't be surprised by the results.

Right I thought the Poll choices were odd. Forcing you to choose that you don't care about the analytics if you are choosing to go away from what Rosas has been doing. When there is no passing grade for Rosas and crew on the analytics right now along the the changing narrative to fit his additions and reasons for players starting, etc.

Poll options should have been more clear and I almost think the author did that on purpose, but maybe not. Either way why not just In or Out on Rosas?

In
Out

Choose one. This way we can judge how he's pulled off his story on Analytics importance and everything else.
TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer

Post#33 » by TheZachAttack » Thu Mar 4, 2021 6:53 pm

Jedzz wrote:
TheZachAttack wrote:I will also add that I'm a strong believer in analytics. However, Rosas's messaging about analytics and his roster decisions have never matched. He targets players who can't space the floor and don't fit the system he wants to play. We then play a small ball system with a certain type of shot selection and force players who can't shoot or can't defend that position to play in that system. We don't get any of the benefits and we shouldn't be surprised by the results.

Right I thought the Poll choices were odd. Forcing you to choose that you don't care about the analytics if you are choosing to go away from what Rosas has been doing. When there is no passing grade for Rosas and crew on the analytics right now along the the changing narrative to fit his additions and reasons for players starting, etc.

Poll options should have been more clear and I almost think the author did that on purpose, but maybe not. Either way why not just In or Out on Rosas?

In
Out

Choose one. This way we can judge how he's pulled off his story on Analytics importance and everything else.

It's a loaded question and part of the misguided narrative on this sub. There is no problem with an analytics oriented regime. The problem is execution. The only evidence that Rosas is analytically oriented is in his marketing pitches. Take away the marketing pitch and look at the roster decisions and the way things have been trending and you'd think that the Wolves are back in the stone age.

I'm not a fan of preaching for an analytics oriented mindset and not making analytics based decisions or prioritizing a rotation based off of players that fit well analytically, while playing a system that is analytics based. I'm not a fan of targeting in the draft and prioritizing in our rotation non-shooters and small ball players (who are non-shooters) and playing a system that is super 3 heavy while not having players that can play that system. That doesn't mean I'm not a fan of an analytics based approach to basketball. And I mean what does that even mean? How is wanting to prioritize a shot selection that leads to better outcomes holding talent equal (essentially "analytics") a negative. I'm sorry I wanted to play players who are good perimeter shooters, create spacing for others on the floor, and can get to the rim and free throw line. I'm sorry I don't want to play players who don't do those things. I'm sorry I'm tired of front offices who target non-shooters and low IQ players and tout athleticism and defense when those players don't actually play defense? And then bad teams quit in the middle of the season and aren't going to go that extra mile?

If we aren't a top 5 shooting team, the Rosas system won't work. If you aren't a good shooting team in the modern NBA you won't be good. If you play a system that prioritizes shooting as the most important skill set and then draft and target players who are bad shooter and even prioritize playing the bad shooters in your rotation when you have limited shooting you are going to lose. Period.

We can have a conversation about defense and others things when we're not a bottom 5 offense. If we get to a top 5 offense and are still losing, let's talk about what tweaks can be made to get better. Right now we're lost in this master of none jack of all trades mentality that leads to us being good at nothing and bad at everything. Our team is the persona of Jarrett Culver. Our front office tells us look at these 6'6 players... they can play defense...they can switch... they can pass..they can shoot.... the problem is they just don't do any of those things at an above average level.
Wolf_Cry
Lead Assistant

Post#34 » by Wolf_Cry » Thu Mar 4, 2021 9:28 pm

Foye wrote:
Wolf_Cry wrote:

Rosas was swinging for a home run but the only thing he hit was his own face. Probably the only guy in the league believing that Russell has serious star potential.
One might argue that Russell had better stats than Wiggins and his perception around the league was not as negative but he was also more injury prone and has a questionable head on his shoulders.
There was literally no incentive whatsoever for Minnesota to trade away a top 3 protected (unprotected in 2022) for him.
A straight up swap would've been decent value-wise (although I still would not have made that deal) but he completely killed the franchise giving up that top pick.

The franchise is already the laughingstock of the league and at some point you have to admit you hired a bum that destroyed your franchise short-term future and gotta move on instead of letting him destroy the mid- and long-term future as well.
Because one thing is sure - there is no continous success possible while having an amateur like Gersson Rosas as your primary decision maker.

Goddamn. And I thought I was hard on the guy :lol:

Agree with everything. Rosas tried way too hard to be the Houston Rockets and find his James Harden. In the process, he royally screwed himself and us fans. The whole thing is even more pathetic because 1.) the Houston Rockets don't even want to be the Houston Rockets (even when they had Harden) and 2.) They didn't even win a championship. Sure they were successful, but how are you going to use a blue print for a team that has proven it's not the right build.

Right now, Rosas' only saving grace is that when the team is finally healthy they will have to fire on all cylinders and actually shows they are a play off threat. I seriously doubt that though. And even then , it may be too late.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,887

Post#35 » by theGreatRC » Thu Mar 4, 2021 9:44 pm

If he picked Lamelo (Who I wanted us to pick) I wouldn't have minded the Culver pick a year before when I wanted Hachimura/Herro at our original pick before we traded up.

But to pick a HUGE bust in Culver (Stop kidding yourselves if you disagree, he sucks so bad) and to miss out on the gem in a "weak" draft in Lamelo...that's a big stain on a resume on back to back drafts.it makes you skeptical if he would **** it up again if we got the top pick this year. Jury is still out on Edwards, but i've been a fan long enough to see the signs of a bad player...maybe he proves me wrong and i'll happily be wrong

However, I do like the team that's assembled, it's just too bad they haven't played together for more than 2 games this season (2-0 when they all played together, but whatever)

I do like Naz, JMac, Nowell, McDaniels and of course love the Beasley pickup (Looking like one of the best 3pt shooters in the L)

I don't trust him with a high draft pick, but I wish we could just see this team together and see if they really do suck once all the players are together on the court.
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
AbeVigodaLive
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,399

Post#36 » by AbeVigodaLive » Thu Mar 4, 2021 9:48 pm

Wolf_Cry wrote:
Foye wrote:
Wolf_Cry wrote:

Agree with everything. Rosas tried way too hard to be the Houston Rockets and find his James Harden. In the process, he royally screwed himself and us fans. The whole thing is even more pathetic because 1.) the Houston Rockets don't even want to be the Houston Rockets (even when they had Harden) and 2.) They didn't even win a championship. Sure they were successful, but how are you going to use a blue print for a team that has proven it's not the right build.

Right now, Rosas' only saving grace is that when the team is finally healthy they will have to fire on all cylinders and actually shows they are a play off threat. I seriously doubt that though. And even then , it may be too late.

Don't worry.

Rosas has a 40% chance of taking yet another home run swing at a franchise-defining player. Eventually, this Process-like approach will pan out...

... maybe.
Wolf_Cry
Lead Assistant

Post#37 » by Wolf_Cry » Thu Mar 4, 2021 10:00 pm

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
Wolf_Cry wrote:
Foye wrote:

Don't worry.

Rosas has a 40% chance of taking yet another home run swing at a franchise-defining player. Eventually, this Process-like approach will pan out...

... maybe.

On another sad note, even if we do keep our pick, Rosas' the one making the pick :lol: This draft class is loaded, but I could easily see him picking the wrong guy.
Sugarless
Starter
And1: 1,978

Post#38 » by Sugarless » Fri Mar 5, 2021 10:41 am

theGreatRC wrote:I don't trust him with a high draft pick, but I wish we could just see this team together and see if they really do suck once all the players are together on the court.

They will suck, RC, it's painfully clear. Unless there are some serious changes to this roster the defensive problems won't go away. The lack of a PF won't go away. The lack of player and ball movement won't go away. The lack of shooting will remain, even if it's not as bad on the first unit with Russell and Beasley back. The low BBIQ will still be a huge issue. The bench filled with G-League players will still be there. It's just a poorly built, not very talented roster. Not enough to compete in the West, not enough to just be decent. And Rosas is the guy that's built this roster entirely.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#39 » by Jedzz » Sat Mar 6, 2021 6:54 am

One of Rosas first moves was to cold shoulder any idea of keeping Rose on. As did many fans that didn't respect him or any of the former Bulls that would be outgoing soon. I'm not sure I remember if he had control yet before they were all vaporized here or not. Watch this game clip and then think of all the crap we've watched since.

Jedzz
RealGM

Post#40 » by Jedzz » Sat Mar 6, 2021 7:05 am

Sugarless wrote:
theGreatRC wrote:I don't trust him with a high draft pick, but I wish we could just see this team together and see if they really do suck once all the players are together on the court.

They will suck, RC, it's painfully clear. Unless there are some serious changes to this roster the defensive problems won't go away. The lack of a PF won't go away. The lack of player and ball movement won't go away. The lack of shooting will remain, even if it's not as bad on the first unit with Russell and Beasley back. The low BBIQ will still be a huge issue. The bench filled with G-League players will still be there. It's just a poorly built, not very talented roster. Not enough to compete in the West, not enough to just be decent. And Rosas is the guy that's built this roster entirely.

Sone of this is true but I would bet money some of us nobodies could get more out of this team just by removing some logjams and playing the right players more or the right players together more, and keeping some apart.

Reminds me a little of Jimmy Buckets supposedly leading the bench over the other starters in practice and there was supposedly nothing even defending their own pride could be done about it. It wasn't because the bench players were better per say, it was because Jimmy knew what was wrong and how to easily use it against them. Coaches either see it or don't I guess. Or maybe like always with this team it just doesn't matter because there will always be reasons to start and play the wrong players more for the wrong reasons. I hate when I can tell two players that shouldn't be together much on the court and they keeping ending up shoulder to shoulder on the court. I doubt I could help any with that defense though besides putting a quota on boxing out and if they are caught on film missing too many opportunities to then they sit the next game. If they never buy in then trade them to the Agua Caliente and that team can reshoe these lazy horses.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves