Beginning of the end of Small Ball? "Wolves seek Power Forward"

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,294

Beginning of the end of Small Ball? "Wolves seek Power Forward" 

Post#1 » by Calinks » Thu Mar 4, 2021 6:09 pm

Looks like we are looking at Gordon again. Also Collins who I don't know how we would get. Note that Beasley and Juancho are now tradable (although maybe not Beasley with his suspension) so I could see a deal.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,342

Re: Beginning of the end of Small Ball? "Wolves seek Power Forward" 

Post#2 » by winforlose » Thu Mar 4, 2021 6:31 pm

Calinks wrote:Looks like we are looking at Gordon again. Also Collins who I don't know how we would get. Note that Beasley and Juancho are now tradable (although maybe not Beasley with his suspension) so I could see a deal.

As good as this is to hear, I really want us to get a good old fashioned Center. I am not even sure who is available, but someone who would allow Naz to move the 4, or allow KAT to move to the 4 and play with the starters. We don’t have enough assets for Vuc, and as Jed pointed out to me KP is too injury prone. Either way a defensive stopper who could glass clean and stretch the floor would be like mana from heaven.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#3 » by Merc_Porto » Thu Mar 4, 2021 6:38 pm

Wolves seek power forward, lol

Too late. Embarrising.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,294

Post#4 » by Calinks » Thu Mar 4, 2021 6:39 pm

We know that KAT doesn't seem to want to move to the 4. Maybe that has changed recently but that's how it's been. I think you could get a big 4 and matchup and it could still work. Hell, things were better when it was Taj Gibson and he's not a huge force at the 4. At this point I think any reliable, veteran size at the 4 or 5 is a plus.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#5 » by winforlose » Thu Mar 4, 2021 6:50 pm

Calinks wrote:We know that KAT doesn't seem to want to move to the 4. Maybe that has changed recently but that's how it's been. I think you could get a big 4 and matchup and it could still work. Hell, things were better when it was Taj Gibson and he's not a huge force at the 4. At this point I think any reliable, veteran size at the 4 or 5 is a plus.

As long as KAT refuses to stop swiping down on defense we desperately need someone other than Naz who can play center properly. Naz is fine on offense but cannot rebound or defend the C.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,457

Post#6 » by Foye » Thu Mar 4, 2021 6:58 pm

They should just use Towns at the PF position instead of wasting assets on undersized Gordon.

Doesn‘t matter what Towns wants. Gotta do what is best for the team.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#7 » by Jedzz » Thu Mar 4, 2021 7:06 pm

Friday the 5th Juancho/Beasley are tradeable, right?

This could get uglier yet if the team starts losing more of its few efficient shooters and good contract guys.

It was bad enough having to throw Covington out in trade just to get the ball moving because nobody else had trade value. It immediately created a missing hole where a 3nD SF should be. Sadly by then the team had aready placed him into a limited role PF defensive helper spot anyway. So I guess the SF 3D was already an issue. But now if they had to move the shooters they pulled in last season, just stick a fork in this thing.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,863

Post#8 » by Klomp » Thu Mar 4, 2021 7:11 pm

I know last night was a disaster for a lot of people, but how did Vanderbilt end the game with 0 rebounds? That to me cannot happen. That's supposed to be his best NBA skill, but I feel like it's been inconsistent this year. It's no wonder the team is looking at PFs....

I think the Finch hire actually makes the Gordon rumor a lot more interesting. This is a guy known for building offenses around the posts. Not always just one, but two too. I watch how Gordon and Vucevic have run things, and I see a lot of similarities with how I think Finch wants to run things through Towns.

tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Klomp » Thu Mar 4, 2021 7:11 pm

Jedzz wrote:Friday the 5th Juancho/Beasley are tradeable, right?

Tradeable as of yesterday
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,541

Post#10 » by shrink » Thu Mar 4, 2021 7:12 pm

Supposedly, Rosas was looking for a PF over the summer last year. We named eight players he talked about, either in free agency or in trade. He just struck out. Eight times.

I will mention a few of these were bigger guys (I recall Derrick Favors, for example), but many of the “PF’s” were small ball guys.

I don’t think is necessarily news, and I doubt it indicates the end of small ball. Sorry guys.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#11 » by winforlose » Thu Mar 4, 2021 7:14 pm

Jedzz wrote:Friday the 5th Juancho/Beasley are tradeable, right?

This could get uglier yet if the team starts losing more of its few efficient shooters and good contract guys.

It was bad enough having to throw Covington out in trade just to get the ball moving because nobody else had trade value. It immediately created a missing hole where a 3nD SF should be. Sadly by then the team had aready placed him into a limited role PF defensive helper spot anyway. So I guess the SF 3D was already an issue. But now if they had to move the shooters they pulled in last season, just stick a fork in this thing.

Beasley I agree with you. Juancho is a different matter. The Juancho of last season was someone people saw potential in but hoped he would be more consistent and learn to play undersized a little better. The Juancho of this season makes last season look like a career year. He isn’t even in the rotation he is so bad. That really says something when Vando cannot catch a pass and MCD is a late first round pick who would usually be in the G league. We need to do more to cultivate our current shooters like Nowell and Layman. Fixing Okogie, Edwards, and Culver’s shots would also bring new life to this team.
UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 837

Post#12 » by UnFadeable21 » Thu Mar 4, 2021 7:14 pm

Malik Beasley & Juancho Hernangomez for Aaron Gordon

Rubio
DLo
ANT
AG
KAT

Jmac
Nowell
Culver
Jaden
Naz

Do it!!!

Dane Moore said Beasley is selfish as hell and wants to be the main guy on the wolves. He wouldn’t accept a 6th man role here.

Can’t win starting Beasley, DLo, and Ant together. The defense is way too bad and all 3 guys are shot hungry.

Can’t trade DLo because of KAT and can’t trade Ant because of potential.

You have to make the trade without sending out a pick because we already owe a pick to the Warriors. The only guy with true value is Malik Beasley.

Power forward has been an issue all season long for the Wolves. Vando isn't a starter because his hands are terrible and he’s non factor outside the paint and Jaden has flashed but isn’t ready to be a full time starter.

Aaron Gordon avg 14ppg 7rebs 4ast with great defense and can shoot 35% from 3. That would be the perfect 4 next to KAT.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,598

Post#13 » by jpatrick » Thu Mar 4, 2021 7:15 pm

I just don’t know if it matters at this point. I definitely don’t want Rosas trading any more future assets. Beasley for Gordon? I think value is fine but we can’t afford to lose Beasley’s shooting. If you can somehow move Rubio, Culver, Juancho, etc., fine. I don’t see it.

What if the move is McDaniels for Gordon? I don’t think I like it o it because Gordon isn’t enough to turn around this train wreck.

Collins seems like he’d be expensive both in outgoing assets as well as a Max contract this offseason.
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#14 » by PharmD » Thu Mar 4, 2021 7:15 pm

Vando was like 3/11 at catching passes yesterday so I can see how the new coach would think it's gonna be tough to get anything done with him in there.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by Klomp » Thu Mar 4, 2021 7:19 pm

shrink wrote:Supposedly, Rosas was looking for a PF over the summer last year. We named eight players he talked about, either in free agency or in trade. He just struck out. Eight times.

I will mention a few of these were bigger guys (I recall Derrick Favors, for example), but many of the “PF’s” were small ball guys.

I don’t think is necessarily news, and I doubt it indicates the end of small ball. Sorry guys.

People thought the same heading into last trade deadline season about acquiring Russell....

Jedzz
RealGM

Post#16 » by Jedzz » Thu Mar 4, 2021 7:21 pm

winforlose wrote:
Calinks wrote:Looks like we are looking at Gordon again. Also Collins who I don't know how we would get. Note that Beasley and Juancho are now tradable (although maybe not Beasley with his suspension) so I could see a deal.

As good as this is to hear, I really want us to get a good old fashioned Center. I am not even sure who is available, but someone who would allow Naz to move the 4, or allow KAT to move to the 4 and play with the starters. We don’t have enough assets for Vuc, and as Jed pointed out to me KP is too injury prone. Either way a defensive stopper who could glass clean and stretch the floor would be like mana from heaven.

Culver for Patton trade with Houston? Houston is streaking towards the top of lotto right now to compete with us it seems. But Patton is finally getting some NBA minutes with them.

So far with Houston: 6 games, 128 Minutes total, 10 blocks, 7 steals, 5 assists, 24 rebounds, 41 points.
Shooting at 52/35/75 so far
It's not super impressive but it's not bad either for a two way start and 21 minute games. Of ccourse could have had him for free a month ago so doubt he looks for him now and trading Culver. But anything that helps realign this roster is good to me.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,541

Post#17 » by shrink » Thu Mar 4, 2021 7:26 pm

Klomp wrote:
shrink wrote:Supposedly, Rosas was looking for a PF over the summer last year. We named eight players he talked about, either in free agency or in trade. He just struck out. Eight times.

People thought the same heading into last trade deadline season about acquiring Russell....

Maybe I’m not saying this right.

I think Rosas has always been looking for a PF, just like he was always looking to acquire Russell. When he failed in free agency with both, I don’t think subsequent rumors meant there was a change in his way of thinking.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#18 » by Jedzz » Thu Mar 4, 2021 7:29 pm

UnFadeable21 wrote:Malik Beasley & Juancho Hernangomez for Aaron Gordon

Rubio
DLo
ANT
AG
KAT

Jmac
Nowell
Culver
Jaden
Naz

Do it!!!

Dane Moore said Beasley is selfish as hell and wants to be the main guy on the wolves. He wouldn’t accept a 6th man role here.

Can’t win starting Beasley, DLo, and Ant together. The defense is way too bad and all 3 guys are shot hungry.

Can’t trade DLo because of KAT and can’t trade Ant because of potential.

You have to make the trade without sending out a pick because we already owe a pick to the Warriors. The only guy with true value is Malik Beasley.

Power forward has been an issue all season long for the Wolves. Vando isn't a starter because his hands are terrible and he’s non factor outside the paint and Jaden has flashed but isn’t ready to be a full time starter.

Aaron Gordon avg 14ppg 7rebs 4ast with great defense and can shoot 35% from 3. That would be the perfect 4 next to KAT.

Can't win with Ant wanting to be the PG/SG/SF all at the same time. We don't have to toss everyone else away to make things work with Ant. Either Ant learns how to play team ball or you get rid of him. Stop breaking the team.

The Rubio/Dlo/Ant starting trio theory needs to float off into neverland.
RiRuHoops
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,812

Post#19 » by RiRuHoops » Thu Mar 4, 2021 7:33 pm

I would trade Ant before Malik. Don't care about his upside. Malik is young and can produce now and is small money. Ant may go Wiggins route and is already overpaid for his production.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#20 » by Jedzz » Thu Mar 4, 2021 7:37 pm

RiRuHoops wrote:I would trade Ant before Malik. Don't care about his upside. Malik is young and can produce now and is small money. Ant may go Wiggins route and is already overpaid for his production.

I would trade Ant as well. Get what you can, let another team try to develop him. Don't really care what he turns into.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves