winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,397

Re: Glen Taylor Selling Timberwolves Again 

Post#41 » by winforlose » Sat Mar 6, 2021 2:18 pm

mercgold3 wrote:
winforlose wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:

Yes, look at all the numbers. Not only the ones that favor your narrative. And no i don't watch basketball and see only what is and not what should be. That's why many of us predict pretty easily this outcome.

In what world Edwards should be taking 10 3s in a game? Seriously?
You know the usage / stats of Edwards since Finch took over right?

Is Ryan's fault for the last 4 games of Edwards too ?

Edwards last 4 games under Finch:

Fga: 20, 22, 22, 23

The previous 4 with Ryan:

Fga: 15, 14, 11, 13

Easy answer is of course it is. Ryan got fired on a Sunday night, we had a back to back games on a Tuesday and Wednesday. You really think Finch or any coach has time to implement any new system in that time? Also, with Beasley suspended you see an increased usage for Edwards anyway. But the difference is Finch told him 2/3 drives and 1/3 jump shooting. If Ryan had told him this back in December or even in January it would be easier for him to make the switch now. Much harder to unlearn bad habits then to learn good ones. Finch is on the hook more after the break because he at least got some time with them, but even then it might be a few weeks or even a month before he can truly implement his vision.

Is not about system this. Is about held accountable a player that is playing really poor basketball. Especially a rookie. Is about telling a guy, stop shooting 3s, simple as that.

Finch actually increased his usage and you can notice that pretty easily. And is not because of Beasley suspension either because you don't increase someome usage when that guy is playing really bad. You give the ball to your veteran PG for example instead of puting him a corner.

First game of Finch Beasley was there too and we saw already a change in the way Edwards was more involved.

But at this point everything is Ryan's fault i see.

I said it before and I will say it again, it’s Ryan’s fault less and less as time passes. Ryan damaged the young guys understanding of the game and their role in it, but it’s Finch’s job to fix it. We also agree that Finch needs to hold Edwards accountable in a way that Ryan did not. Finch is trying to figure out his players at this point. The break gives him some time to do it and to actually get to know them as people as well. I don’t know you well but I think we both know that coaching is more than just telling someone stand here and move there when X happens. Coaches need to motivate their players. They need to discipline when appropriate and they need to earn players trust so the player will learn what the coach has to teach. Edwards should have been benched in the last few games when he went off the rails, I suspect the reason he wasn’t is because Finch wanted to let him see what happens when Ant ignores him. But moving forward (especially with the break over and guys better rested,) I do intend to hold Finch more accountable (for all the good that does,) and I am very curious to see what he can do to bring out the best from these young players.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,604

Post#42 » by shrink » Sat Mar 6, 2021 2:19 pm

AbeVigodaLive wrote:
m2002brian wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:Isn't that the plot to Major League?

Except in this version the players are all for getting out of Minnesota.

Wait... does this all end with a life-size cardboard cutout of a naked Glen Taylor?

Ewwwww.

:lol:

Jake Taylor - weary vet who’s played everywhere and just wants to win, played by Ricky Rubio
Ricky Vaughn - penal League flame-thrower, played by Malik Beasley
Roger Dorn - expensive pro unwilling to play grounders, played by D’Angelo Russell
Willie Mays Hayes - cocky rookie who makes lots of mistakes, played by Anthony Edwards
Eddie Harris - old pro who will play dirty, played by Eddie Davis

I guess that leaves

Pedro Cerrano - Dominican with huge power but a big hole in his game, played by Karl-Anthony Towns

(I love that movie, and will stop and watch it whenever I come across it channel surfing. The characters archetypes are spot on, so the satire is perfect. Also, I’m not a movIe-quote guy, but I think it has to be one of the best for that. Thanks Bob Ueker!)
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#43 » by Merc_Porto » Sat Mar 6, 2021 2:55 pm

winforlose wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:
winforlose wrote:
Easy answer is of course it is. Ryan got fired on a Sunday night, we had a back to back games on a Tuesday and Wednesday. You really think Finch or any coach has time to implement any new system in that time? Also, with Beasley suspended you see an increased usage for Edwards anyway. But the difference is Finch told him 2/3 drives and 1/3 jump shooting. If Ryan had told him this back in December or even in January it would be easier for him to make the switch now. Much harder to unlearn bad habits then to learn good ones. Finch is on the hook more after the break because he at least got some time with them, but even then it might be a few weeks or even a month before he can truly implement his vision.

Is not about system this. Is about held accountable a player that is playing really poor basketball. Especially a rookie. Is about telling a guy, stop shooting 3s, simple as that.

Finch actually increased his usage and you can notice that pretty easily. And is not because of Beasley suspension either because you don't increase someome usage when that guy is playing really bad. You give the ball to your veteran PG for example instead of puting him a corner.

First game of Finch Beasley was there too and we saw already a change in the way Edwards was more involved.

I said it before and I will say it again, it’s Ryan’s fault less and less as time passes. Ryan damaged the young guys understanding of the game and their role in it, but it’s Finch’s job to fix it. We also agree that Finch needs to hold Edwards accountable in a way that Ryan did not. Finch is trying to figure out his players at this point. The break gives him some time to do it and to actually get to know them as people as well. I don’t know you well but I think we both know that coaching is more than just telling someone stand here and move there when X happens. Coaches need to motivate their players. They need to discipline when appropriate and they need to earn players trust so the player will learn what the coach has to teach. Edwards should have been benched in the last few games when he went off the rails, I suspect the reason he wasn’t is because Finch wanted to let him see what happens when Ant ignores him. But moving forward (especially with the break over and guys better rested,) I do intend to hold Finch more accountable (for all the good that does,) and I am very curious to see what he can do to bring out the best from these young players.

We start the season with this guys in the rotation, Dlo, Okogie, Layman (3 starters) Naz and Juancho and you are blaming Ryan for this mess lol come on man.

Stop making horrible excuses for the guy that built this mess in the first place. This is reaching high levels of delusion. I usted to be like that 7/8 years ago or so.

If this wasn't so predictable to happend ok i would understand your point but this wasn't the case... No coach would do miracles with this roster. Maybe 2/3 more wins, but that's it. And you'll see the same results moving forward if we don't make any changes with the roster.

But why making changes if this roster is so talented and the problem was exclusive on Ryan. Your words...
winforlose
General Manager

Post#44 » by winforlose » Sat Mar 6, 2021 4:16 pm

mercgold3 wrote:
winforlose wrote:
mercgold3 wrote:Is not about system this. Is about held accountable a player that is playing really poor basketball. Especially a rookie. Is about telling a guy, stop shooting 3s, simple as that.

We start the season with this guys in the rotation, Dlo, Okogie, Layman (3 starters) Naz and Juancho and you are blaming Ryan for this mess lol come on man.

Stop making horrible excuses for the guy that built this mess in the first place. This is reaching high levels of delusion. I usted to be like that 7/8 years ago or so.

If this wasn't so predictable to happend ok i would understand your point but this wasn't the case... No coach would do miracles with this roster. Maybe 2/3 more wins, but that's it. And you'll see the same results moving forward if we don't make any changes with the roster.

But why making changes if this roster is so talented and the problem was exclusive on Ryan. Your words...

First, I have said how many times across how many threads that small ball is a disaster and needs to be ended. The problem is not exclusive to Ryan or on Ryan, but Ryan makes it worse.

As for your other point, I reject your premise. Ryan sets the rotation. Layman was not terrible and in fact would make an excellent starting 3 given our situation. Starting Okogie without significant sign of improved shooting was a mistake, I am not arguing the point. The rotations should have been Dlo, Beasley, Layman, Juancho, KAT.
Second unit Rubio, Culver, Ant, Vando, Reid. When he discovers Juancho’s regression you move Vando to start and place MCD as a backup. When Culver underperforms you expand the rotation to 11 and give Nowell time to earn Culver’s minutes. When KAT goes down you change the second unit offenses scheme to have Davis in the low post. I could go on, but my point is Ryan had some bad breaks but he turned them into full on fractures. He tried to fix a broken toe with a hammer rather than a splint doing things that make no sense and are flatly wrong.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#45 » by Merc_Porto » Sat Mar 6, 2021 4:58 pm

winforlose wrote:
First, I have said how many times across how many threads that small ball is a disaster and needs to be ended. The problem is not exclusive to Ryan or on Ryan, but Ryan makes it worse.

As for your other point, I reject your premise. Ryan sets the rotation. Layman was not terrible and in fact would make an excellent starting 3 given our situation. Starting Okogie without significant sign of improved shooting was a mistake, I am not arguing the point. The rotations should have been Dlo, Beasley, Layman, Juancho, KAT.
Second unit Rubio, Culver, Ant, Vando, Reid. When he discovers Juancho’s regression you move Vando to start and place MCD as a backup. When Culver underperforms you expand the rotation to 11 and give Nowell time to earn Culver’s minutes. When KAT goes down you change the second unit offenses scheme to have Davis in the low post. I could go on, but my point is Ryan had some bad breaks but he turned them into full on fractures. He tried to fix a broken toe with a hammer rather than a splint doing things that make no sense and are flatly wrong.

You write all of those players into the rotation and you still dont understand how this roster lacks quality.
We are talking about 4/5 guys that wouldnt even be rotation players for any playoff team and you want them to start.
You also want to throw a defensive lineup of Dlo, Beasley, Layman and Kat and expect results?

Layman was not terrible? He was beyond terrible, what are you talking about?

Small ball - Rosas
System built around the small ball idea - Rosas
Roster construction - Rosas
Cap situation - Rosas
Draft selections - Rosas
FRPs situation - Rosas

Who broke us? Ryan. OK
Anyway, we really shouldnt change anything by your prespective then. We have a terrific roster. We only needed a proper coach.

Lets end this discussion :wink:

Time will tell (once again)...
winforlose
General Manager

Post#46 » by winforlose » Sat Mar 6, 2021 5:06 pm

mercgold3 wrote:
winforlose wrote:

You write all of those players into the rotation and you still dont understand how this roster lacks quality.
We are talking about 4/5 guys that wouldnt even be rotation players for any playoff team and you want them to start.
You also want to throw a defensive lineup of Dlo, Beasley, Layman and Kat and expect results?

Layman was not terrible? He was beyond terrible, what are you talking about?

Small ball - Rosas
System built around the small ball idea - Rosas
Roster construction - Rosas
Cap situation - Rosas
Draft selections - Rosas
FRPs situation - Rosas

Who broke us? Ryan. OK
Anyway, we really shouldnt change anything by your prespective then. We have a terrific roster. We only needed a proper coach.

Lets end this discussion :wink:

Time will tell (once again)...

We disagree about the quality of Dlo. We disagree about the quality of Layman. We disagree about the quality of the any number of players I am guessing. As for your checklist, Ryan set the scheme, Ryan set the rotation, and Ryan is supposed to get the guys to perform for him. When Beasley doesn’t take shots for a half that begs the question why not. When Dlo is chucking every time down playing hero ball the question is why? When Edwards would rather settle for jumpers than attack the rim the question is why? The answer to all of this and more is coaching. As for Layman, he started bad and got better. Given minutes at the 3 instead of the 4 he would have been better. But the real question is whether he would have been better than Okogie.

I will end it here per your request.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves