mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Re: Who won't be on the team in a week? 

Post#101 » by mplsfonz23 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:50 pm

Jedzz wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:
Wolf_Cry wrote:
I don't mind trading Ant, but not for Gordon. I think Gordon is pretty overrated right now- especially whenever his trade talks heat up. Honestly, he is an average player but that's about it. Ant on the other hand, has shown the potential to be more. Will he reach it? That's debatable and most will say no (including me), but even then I'd still risk keeping his potential over trading it for someone like Aaron Gordon.
And isn't he on a nice rookie contract? Proven players are nice, but how do they become "proven?" Time. Trade Ant and he turns into a stud, then what do you have? An old vet, plus no future. Thats what.

What? An old vet and no future? What future does the last place team have right now? Seriously, this is a seasonal sport going on endlessly. So if your build fails, you just start over and you are going to be in no worse a spot then you are right now. Remember, they just got the #1 draft pick and are in Last place again just like last year which earned them the #1 in the first place. They can win another #1 this coming draft and still end up in last place again. All you'll have is this fake feeling about hope in the future because you have hyped/drafted names still developing?

Is this any different than, or are you trying to revisit the moment the team had say Wiggins/Towns/Lavine? Does anyone remember that time and can you be truthful remembering it? Do you remember half the fan base saying Lavine shouldn't start because they felt it was holding back Wiggin's development? Do you see what I'm getting at? It's like some think we can do it again and do it better this time? What is a Wiggins/Towns/Lavine team going to get you right now if you had it? Not enough defense obviously. Doing that better might have been to keep LaVine and Towns and put defense around them. But who knows. None of them have carried their teams into the playoffs. In fact Wiggins and Towns together needed a bunch of Old Vets to carry them into the playoffs. Then the team got rid of the "old vets" and sent us to the bottom of the league again.

Can we learn one day is my question. Or does this endlessly have to repeat?

At this point the "old vet" should be Towns and Lo, plus Beas. The older vet thing is kind of overplayed. This team needs to keep young cheap talent, while learning from the older/ young players. (Towns, Beas, etc.) Older vets are not willing to come here unless we overpay for them. And then they are looking to retire. You can point out KAT/Wigs/LaVine as an example that never really had a good shot to take off, and I can point to Durant/Westbrook/Harden to counter. Didn't work out, but bringing in vets doesn't assure anything. Some of those vets also bring bad habits and or hate for younger players making more $$$.
(See Crawford/Butler.)
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#102 » by Jedzz » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:10 am

mplsfonz23 wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote: And isn't he on a nice rookie contract? Proven players are nice, but how do they become "proven?" Time. Trade Ant and he turns into a stud, then what do you have? An old vet, plus no future. Thats what.

What? An old vet and no future? What future does the last place team have right now? Seriously, this is a seasonal sport going on endlessly. So if your build fails, you just start over and you are going to be in no worse a spot then you are right now. Remember, they just got the #1 draft pick and are in Last place again just like last year which earned them the #1 in the first place. They can win another #1 this coming draft and still end up in last place again. All you'll have is this fake feeling about hope in the future because you have hyped/drafted names still developing?

Is this any different than, or are you trying to revisit the moment the team had say Wiggins/Towns/Lavine? Does anyone remember that time and can you be truthful remembering it? Do you remember half the fan base saying Lavine shouldn't start because they felt it was holding back Wiggin's development? Do you see what I'm getting at? It's like some think we can do it again and do it better this time? What is a Wiggins/Towns/Lavine team going to get you right now if you had it? Not enough defense obviously. Doing that better might have been to keep LaVine and Towns and put defense around them. But who knows. None of them have carried their teams into the playoffs. In fact Wiggins and Towns together needed a bunch of Old Vets to carry them into the playoffs. Then the team got rid of the "old vets" and sent us to the bottom of the league again.

At this point the "old vet" should be Towns and Lo, plus Beas. The older vet thing is kind of overplayed. This team needs to keep young cheap talent, while learning from the older/ young players. (Towns, Beas, etc.) Older vets are not willing to come here unless we overpay for them. And then they are looking to retire. You can point out KAT/Wigs/LaVine as an example that never really had a good shot to take off, and I can point to Durant/Westbrook/Harden to counter. Didn't work out, but bringing in vets doesn't assure anything. Some of those vets also bring bad habits and or hate for younger players making more $$$.
(See Crawford/Butler.)

I'll give you an example and you may not like it, but just entertain it for a second. What if Rose was kept here when Rosas took over and instead of treating him like he's washed up, they treated him like the great vet he still is and just put a rookie PG on his hip to learn from him and fill in when Rose has rest days. Beyond that, they waste no more big assets on PGs or Combos they plan to make into PGs. They could have made JMac that rookie on his hip. Rose is still playing today as he wasn't looking to retire. He said he would have stayed if the new guy wanted him to. Imagine the team keeping that one Vet, trusting JMac as the #2, and not Drafting Culver, not drafting Edwards. Instead, they fill out true Wings, forwards with draft and trades since Rosas took over. The team could look completely different right now and might have 3 times the wins in Rosas tenure so far all from keeping one Vet and playing him for all he's got left to give. Instead, today Rose is playing for Thibs again and attached to his hip is the rookie Quickley who's having a great rookie season.

I was lisening to siriusxm give and go today and they were talking up Chris Paul and how he teaches teams to win, not just play but how to win, how to close. Not just scoring but how to bring the defense, how to start working the net when your team has a lead instead of thinking that's a free time to shoot 3s and go cold as dumb teams often do. I remembered Rose' 50 pt game here and how the Jazz were right there with us trying to win that one. It came down to a corner three from Jazz and who was there to misdirect that shot but a leaping Rose to assure the win. That's what leading Vets can do for your team. They aren't all like that, but when you find one you don't treat them like washed up junk and move on. They can treat all your younger players how to win. Another guy like that out there getting moved at deadline this year is Raptors Lowry. They lead the zombies. Too bad Lowry wants a 25/2 deal now from someone. Rose plays on 7.5.yr. Wolves actually thought they could find someone better.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#103 » by mplsfonz23 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:25 am

Jedzz wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

(See Crawford/Butler.)

I'll give you an example and you may not like it, but just entertain it for a second. What if Rose was kept here when Rosas took over and instead of treating him like he's washed up, they treated him like the great vet he still is and just put a rookie PG on his hip to learn from him and fill in when Rose has rest days. Beyond that, they waste no more big assets on PGs or Combos they plan to make into PGs. They could have made JMac that rookie on his hip. Rose is still playing today as he wasn't looking to retire. He said he would have stayed if the new guy wanted him to. Imagine the team keeping that one Vet, trusting JMac as the #2, and not Drafting Culver, not drafting Edwards. Instead, they fill out true Wings, forwards with draft and trades since Rosas took over. The team could look completely different right now and might have 3 times the wins in Rosas tenure so far all from keeping one Vet and playing him for all he's got left to give. Instead, today Rose is playing for Thibs again and attached to his hip is the rookie Quickley who's having a great rookie season.

I was lisening to siriusxm give and go today and they were talking up Chris Paul and how he teaches teams to win, not just play but how to win, how to close. Not just scoring but how to bring the defense, how to start working the net when your team has a lead instead of thinking that's a free time to shoot 3s and go cold as dumb teams often do. I remembered Rose' 50 pt game here and how the Jazz were right there with us trying to win that one. It came down to a corner three from Jazz and who was there to misdirect that shot but a leaping Rose to assure the win. That's what leading Vets can do for your team. They aren't all like that, but when you find one you don't treat them like washed up junk and move on. They can treat all your younger players how to win. Another guy like that out there getting moved at deadline this year is Raptors Lowry. They lead the zombies. Too bad Lowry wants a 25/2 deal now from someone. Rose plays on 7.5.yr. Wolves actually thought they could find someone better.

I understand your point, but hindsight is a b*tch. Rose may not have anyone to teach, or JMac may not be able to do what Rose/vet teaches him. Rose may not be a good example because he is a freak. Kind of what I see in Suggs. Vets are nice, but the future is top end talent. Plus, Rose could be giving lip service. He had no plans to stay here. And, he's back in an old system that he knows, and the rookie may struggle. Again, I think the vet thing is overrated, and most don't come here cheap.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#104 » by Jedzz » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:40 am

mplsfonz23 wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
mplsfonz23 wrote:At this point the "old vet" should be Towns and Lo, plus Beas. The older vet thing is kind of overplayed. This team needs to keep young cheap talent, while learning from the older/ young players. (Towns, Beas, etc.) Older vets are not willing to come here unless we overpay for them. And then they are looking to retire. You can point out KAT/Wigs/LaVine as an example that never really had a good shot to take off, and I can point to Durant/Westbrook/Harden to counter. Didn't work out, but bringing in vets doesn't assure anything. Some of those vets also bring bad habits and or hate for younger players making more $$$.
(See Crawford/Butler.)

I was listening to siriusxm give and go today and they were talking up Chris Paul and how he teaches teams to win, not just play but how to win, how to close. Not just scoring but how to bring the defense, how to start working the net when your team has a lead instead of thinking that's a free time to shoot 3s and go cold as dumb teams often do. I remembered Rose' 50 pt game here and how the Jazz were right there with us trying to win that one. It came down to a corner three from Jazz and who was there to misdirect that shot but a leaping Rose to assure the win. That's what leading Vets can do for your team. They aren't all like that, but when you find one you don't treat them like washed up junk and move on. They can treat all your younger players how to win. Another guy like that out there getting moved at deadline this year is Raptors Lowry. They lead the zombies. Too bad Lowry wants a 25/2 deal now from someone. Rose plays on 7.5.yr. Wolves actually thought they could find someone better.

I understand your point, but hindsight is a b*tch. Rose may not have anyone to teach, or JMac may not be able to do what Rose/vet teaches him. Rose may not be a good example because he is a freak. Kind of what I see in Suggs. Vets are nice, but the future is top end talent. Plus, Rose could be giving lip service. He had no plans to stay here. And, he's back in an old system that he knows, and the rookie may struggle. Again, I think the vet thing is overrated, and most don't come here cheap.

I'm not sure what you are saying here. We had him, they just had to offer him the role and a contract and they didn't. He just got done having 1.5 good seasons with us, some special games. That didn't take hindsight. That would take not believing the next new rookie will save the world for you. Recognizing players like that as leading by example. If they would have committed to him he would have stayed. JMac certainly could have emulated his game on his hip learning. Even a different pick choice, as long as they allow him to lead them instead of instantly try to have them takeover like we keep doing. Think of the wasted assets since and claims of better defenders from the role, top end picks futures, its all been BS. Napier, Culver, Nowell, Dlo, Edwards, Rubio, Bolmero. Before them stuck with Teague I suppose.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,416

Post#105 » by shrink » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:52 am

Ed Davis, Josh Okogie and Jordan McLaughlin (and DLo and Beasley) didn’t play, and Culver only played 7 minutes.

Any trade candidates here?
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,397

Post#106 » by Crazy-Canuck » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:58 am

shrink wrote:Ed Davis, Josh Okogie and Jordan McLaughlin (and DLo and Beasley) didn’t play, and Culver only played 7 minutes.

ED Davis or JMac?

Id imagine the market for Okogie and Culver is pretty barren.
Teams are scared of Beasley. (IMO, shouldnt trade him anyways)
DLO is untouchable.

EP Paschall is a young PF that has been held out by GSW. Coincidence?
MN7725
Veteran
And1: 1,076

Post#107 » by MN7725 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:05 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
shrink wrote:Ed Davis, Josh Okogie and Jordan McLaughlin (and DLo and Beasley) didn’t play, and Culver only played 7 minutes.

ED Davis or JMac?

Id imagine the market for Okogie and Culver is pretty barren.
Teams are scared of Beasley. (IMO, shouldnt trade him anyways)
DLO is untouchable.

EP Paschall is a young PF that has been held out by GSW. Coincidence?

Okogie for Kevin Knox?
Thibs gets his draft pick back, doesn't seem to trust Knox

Wolves get more of a combo forward size player to help with guard log jam, who at least has hit 35% on 600+ 3pt attempts, that's sadly an improvement for this team :lol:

same draft class, so no RFA issues, Knox $2 mil more expensive because of higher draft slot

I suppose Davis is most likely strictly as a non-minimum expiring contract, might be used to facilitate a larger trade
Wolves are already pretty expensive team next season, so taking back $$ next year is an issue though
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,824

Post#108 » by Klomp » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:15 pm

Calinks wrote:I'm guessing Culver and Juancho are being shopped hard.

I'm guessing teams are asking for Beasley and McDaniels.

I don't think Edwards is off the table but we will have to be getting a nice piece.

I think its not out of the question we stand pat and play the season out and wait until the off-season to make a big move.

Calinks pretty much nailed it all
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
ClarkeW
Sophomore
And1: 54

Post#109 » by ClarkeW » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:26 pm

So with all that said and done, here’s how I see the lineup looking for the rest of the year (once we get Russell & Beasley back)...

Russell / Rubio
Beasley / Nowell
Edwards / Okogie
McDaniels / Hernangomez
Towns / Reid

Everybody else - sorry, but you’re on the bench. Based on the rotations as of late I think Chris Finch agrees. Once we know where our draft pick lands it will be time to start dreaming up trade scenarios again. For now, let’s just see if this lineup can take us anywhere.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,182

Post#110 » by Neeva » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:27 pm

Play culver over Okogie, need to get his value up, so he can be traded for something.
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,259

Post#111 » by Baseline81 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:29 pm

I'm surprised Culver is still a member of this team. I'm not sure if Rosas is unwilling to admit defeat with him, but it's pretty clear the he's not going to turn it around here.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,182

Post#112 » by Neeva » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:31 pm

Baseline81 wrote:I'm surprised Culver is still a member of this team. I'm not sure if Rosas is unwilling to admit defeat with him, but it's pretty clear the he's not going to turn it around here.

He had a decent start to the season, he can turn it around.
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,259

Post#113 » by Baseline81 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:34 pm

Neeva wrote:He had a decent start to the season, he can turn it around.

Good luck with that.

Finch has given 8 minutes in each of the last two games. With Russell and Beasley soon returning, the rotations will get even more murkier.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,416

Post#114 » by shrink » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:39 pm

Baseline81 wrote:

Good luck with that.

Finch has given 8 minutes in each of the last two games. With Russell and Beasley soon returning, the rotations will get even more murkier.

I still believe that the preacher’s kid can’t deal with leaving his hometown for the first time, and it sounds like his family stayed in Texas. Culver has many of the things I want to see in a prospect (length, a little handle, work ethic, defends, good kid), but I think he just has the yips, and gets too down on himself when he misses a few shots. I don’t think he’s going to fix himself here, he needs a change of scenery.

This summer, he will be in the third year of his rookie deal, and he won’t be cheap ($6.4, $8.1 team option). Maybe a Texas team or OKC would give him a shot, because of those positive attributes. However, I think he’s not going to return much this summer, if he is only getting occasional minutes here and starts racking up DNP-CD’s. I think his trade value now was low, but it’s going to be lower this summer .. and we still may need to trade him.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,359

Post#115 » by younggunsmn » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:47 pm

shrink wrote:
Baseline81 wrote:

Good luck with that.

I still believe that the preacher’s kid can’t deal with leaving his hometown for the first time, and it sounds like his family stayed in Texas. Culver has many of the things I want to see in a prospect (length, a little handle, work ethic, defends, good kid), but I think he just has the yips, and gets too down on himself when he misses a few shots. I don’t think he’s going to fix himself here, he needs a change of scenery.

This summer, he will be in the third year of his rookie deal, and he won’t be cheap ($6.4, $8.1 team option). Maybe a Texas team or OKC would give him a shot, because of those positive attributes. However, I think he’s not going to return much this summer, if he is only getting occasional minutes here and starts racking up DNP-CD’s. I think his trade value now was low, but it’s going to be lower this summer .. and we still may need to trade him.

I really want to root for Culver because he seems like a great human being. It's all about fixing his shot though and getting consistent with it.
He still has more potential than Okogie, but the contract is getting into the range of where we need him to contribute if we are going to keep him around.
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#116 » by PharmD » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:07 am

Neeva wrote:Play culver over Okogie, need to get his value up, so he can be traded for something.

Culver's value does not go up as he plays more unfortunately.
RiRuHoops
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,812

Post#117 » by RiRuHoops » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:12 am

Culver needs to get some real playing time in Gleague. Get his confidence up.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#118 » by Jedzz » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:43 am

shrink wrote:
Baseline81 wrote:

Good luck with that.

Picking up his team option would be another Rosas mistake. He should have moved him already with all the guards/small wings they brought in here and if he couldn't they simply should not have picked it up. December 28 they picked it up. If they couldn't move him predraft or right after...just don't. I suppose he was looking great in the tiny preseason and game 1 or something and they raced to pick up his third yr before he "got away"
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,824

Post#119 » by Klomp » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:45 am

RiRuHoops wrote:Culver needs to get some real playing time in Gleague. Get his confidence up.

It's too bad the G League season is over, because I think they would seriously entertain the option
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#120 » by Jedzz » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:46 am

RiRuHoops wrote:Culver needs to get some real playing time in Gleague. Get his confidence up.

He could end up really shining in the Gleague and another GM might just feel it's the Wolves main team with the problem that doesn't click for him. Worth a try.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves