*** OKC Thunder vs MN Timberwolves - 7pm FSN ***

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,299

Re: *** OKC Thunder vs MN Timberwolves - 7pm FSN *** 

Post#141 » by winforlose » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:08 am

Medall21 wrote:
PharmD wrote:Ant's transition D is so bad every game.

Would be funny to see Pablo Laso or Sarunas Jasikevicius reaction after that...

3 Timberwolves near the ball, yet he is ball watching instead of getting back on D. I don’t know if that indicates he’s lazy, stupid, or both.
Sugarless
Starter
And1: 1,978

Post#142 » by Sugarless » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:51 am

Game changed halfway through the 3rd quarter when the Wolves got 3-4 easy buckets and got ahead on the scoreboard. Then suddenly the ball goes from Rubio to Andrews who starts running the offense (if you can call it that) and the next few possessions end up with a bad TO and some terrible shots by him. The Wolves didn't lead again after that.

His defense was as **** as always, because he's a low-effort, low-BBIQ kid. What I'll never understand is how the Wolves keep putting these young players and their scoring numbers above the wellbeing of the team and the franchise. It's freaking stupid, and it happens EVERY - SINGLE - YEAR.
Sugarless
Starter
And1: 1,978

Post#143 » by Sugarless » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:56 am

One good thing, though: I watched Nowell pass the ball again. He's been doing it from time to time lately since he's been forced to play PG (or rather take the back-up PG minutes) in the absence of McLaughlin. Hope it sticks and he continues to explore the wonderful world of sharing the ball.
AbeVigodaLive
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,399

Post#144 » by AbeVigodaLive » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:50 pm

winforlose wrote:
Medall21 wrote:
PharmD wrote:Ant's transition D is so bad every game.

Would be funny to see Pablo Laso or Sarunas Jasikevicius reaction after that...

3 Timberwolves near the ball, yet he is ball watching instead of getting back on D. I don’t know if that indicates he’s lazy, stupid, or both.

The best part is that there's another trailer who also passes Edwards who could have received the ball for a dunk, too. And that guy started only slightly ahead of Towns under the hoop... but Towns is not even in the frame at the play's conclusion.

Accountability can come from more than just the coach. Young guys need positive examples from veteran leaders.
LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,114

Post#145 » by LesGrossman » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:57 pm

Jedzz wrote:
jpatrick wrote:I just don’t know what he’s doing on the defensive end. I’m not sure if he doesn’t understand what they’re doing conceptually or he just doesn’t care and is lazy. He almost floats around not guarding anyone then will close out wildly, allowing the man to blow right by him.

Maybe he was thinking about 40 pt scores and how to engage that gear instead of what his defensive positioning should be? I saw some of what you did, what seemed like effort being put in on defense but he was just wildly over gunning his man and getting beat. I wouldn't say he was the only one on defense doing that, even saw Rubio getting a little out of control on D and his guy getting the shot off. Say Nowell get soft beat once merely allowing his guy to get to the wrong side and JP laid into that one. Others for sure just got fried by hot shooters that never hesitated at all. These OKC boys were lanky, quick and accurate. But that same burst Ant uses to get to the rim when he feels like it seemed to get him in trouble often on the softest of moves by the opponent and he ended up 5 feet long and not a chance to recover.

I didn't like how the coach had KAT getting double tagged in the paint starting second half where refs weren't calling anything and they just kept doing it. He could have quickly moved Kat outside and asked the Rook to go hard at that rim more and just start annihilating those lanky dudes from a running start. But less would be able to be there if Towns came outside. Which I think they finally did with Kat in the 4th. Not sure if Edwards was doing what they asked on offense or not.

I thought Ricky had an outstanding game on D. He has the task to free float a bit, but he does it with maximum effort and you literally see him flying around guarding multiple guys. Yes of course he gets beaten from time to time but you will never ever see the "i couldnt care less" attitude that you already see in Ant, from Rubio. To be honest it reminded me of the way LeBron is floating around on D in the past years, almost as if it was everyone else's job to play D. I dont know what is going on in this kids' head, and i was opposed to the "learning in-game" approach from day one. Not only didnt he learn anything, but he reinforced bad habits and also built an attitude like he is already different from evryone on this team and kind of untouchable. If i was long term wolves fan i wouldnt build too much hope on this kids' loyality to be honest.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#146 » by Jedzz » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:19 pm

LesGrossman wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
jpatrick wrote:I just don’t know what he’s doing on the defensive end. I’m not sure if he doesn’t understand what they’re doing conceptually or he just doesn’t care and is lazy. He almost floats around not guarding anyone then will close out wildly, allowing the man to blow right by him.

Maybe he was thinking about 40 pt scores and how to engage that gear instead of what his defensive positioning should be? I saw some of what you did, what seemed like effort being put in on defense but he was just wildly over gunning his man and getting beat. I wouldn't say he was the only one on defense doing that, even saw Rubio getting a little out of control on D and his guy getting the shot off. Say Nowell get soft beat once merely allowing his guy to get to the wrong side and JP laid into that one. Others for sure just got fried by hot shooters that never hesitated at all. These OKC boys were lanky, quick and accurate. But that same burst Ant uses to get to the rim when he feels like it seemed to get him in trouble often on the softest of moves by the opponent and he ended up 5 feet long and not a chance to recover.

I didn't like how the coach had KAT getting double tagged in the paint starting second half where refs weren't calling anything and they just kept doing it. He could have quickly moved Kat outside and asked the Rook to go hard at that rim more and just start annihilating those lanky dudes from a running start. But less would be able to be there if Towns came outside. Which I think they finally did with Kat in the 4th. Not sure if Edwards was doing what they asked on offense or not.

I thought Ricky had an outstanding game on D. He has the task to free float a bit, but he does it with maximum effort and you literally see him flying around guarding multiple guys. Yes of course he gets beaten from time to time but you will ever see the "i couldnt care less" attitude that you already see in Ant, from Rubio. To be honest it reminded me of the way LeBron is floating around on D in the past years, almost as if it was everyone else's job to play D. I dont know what is going on in this kids' head, and i was opposed to the "learning in-game" approach from day one. Not only didnt he learn anything, but he reinforced bad habits and also built an attitude like he is already different from evryone on this team and kind of untouchable. If i was long term wolves fan i wouldnt build too much hope on this kids' loyality to be honest.
These things will never change until earning a starting role, even a large role, becomes a real thing for this franchise. Of course it depends on the player, but even Kat being more responsive and an obvious work ethic also got the red carpet and the big head from the start. He was assuring us playoffs every season as if he had a clue what that takes, as if just being who he was then was enough. They have to assess these players individually and do what's best for each one to convert them into their best someday. A larger than life ego early on doesn't help that progression much. That much we've seen.
LesGrossman
Head Coach
And1: 4,114

Post#147 » by LesGrossman » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:50 pm

Jedzz wrote:
LesGrossman wrote:
Jedzz wrote:

I thought Ricky had an outstanding game on D. He has the task to free float a bit, but he does it with maximum effort and you literally see him flying around guarding multiple guys. Yes of course he gets beaten from time to time but you will ever see the "i couldnt care less" attitude that you already see in Ant, from Rubio. To be honest it reminded me of the way LeBron is floating around on D in the past years, almost as if it was everyone else's job to play D. I dont know what is going on in this kids' head, and i was opposed to the "learning in-game" approach from day one. Not only didnt he learn anything, but he reinforced bad habits and also built an attitude like he is already different from evryone on this team and kind of untouchable. If i was long term wolves fan i wouldnt build too much hope on this kids' loyality to be honest.
These things will never change until earning a starting role, even a large role, becomes a real thing for this franchise. Of course it depends on the player, but even Kat being more responsive and an obvious work ethic also got the red carpet and the big head from the start. He was assuring us playoffs every season as if he had a clue what that takes, as if just being who he was then was enough. They have to assess these players individually and do what's best for each one to convert them into their best someday. A larger than life ego early on doesn't help that progression much. That much we've seen.

Thats very true and you could dig up my old posts where i was very, very hard on both KAT and Wiggins while others excused them with "youth". In my book, youth can be an excuse for much, but never lack of effort.
Pray for Israel
Peace in Jerusalem

Fan of the game of Basketball, no matter the team, league or players. Opposed to all sorts of person cult and show/entertainment/marketing over substance.
K4P
Assistant Coach
And1: 17,103

Post#148 » by K4P » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:33 pm

I'm tired of watching a basketball team that doesn't know how to play defense.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#149 » by Jedzz » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:54 am

K4P wrote:I'm tired of watching a basketball team that doesn't know how to play defense.
Drafting hype on athletic prowess and imaginations instead of what they've shown before doesn't help. Many of us talked about it this summer, game IQ, shooting, defense awareness and willingness. These things needs to be at the core of drafting at least some years wouldn't you think? They never seem to get the ones amped in game IQ/shooting and great for D, although...Okogie.
Jedzz
RealGM

Post#150 » by Jedzz » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:15 am

Next game is Mavericks, maybe a win :lol:

Mavs latest game was a win for them against Portland who they beat 132-92. I think Wolves were trying to get into overtime the last few times they met Portland not long ago.

KP in that portland game: 43/50/100 But it wasn't on many shots. Don't let him shoot many...

Of course the alternatives each shot the following in that recent game:
Doncic 68/89/50 on 19 shots for 37.
Finney Smith 50/50/100
Klieber 75/68/00
JRich 75/50/100

The good news is Tyler Bey can't shoot for nuthin yet. I think some here wanted him selected in draft later. Figures. Maybe the Wolves will be able to keep up better in garbage time.
UnFadeable21
Veteran
And1: 837

Post#151 » by UnFadeable21 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:16 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21
WolfAddict
Rookie
And1: 1,543

Post#152 » by WolfAddict » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:23 pm

AbeVigodaLive wrote:The best part is that there's another trailer who also passes Edwards who could have received the ball for a dunk, too. And that guy started only slightly ahead of Towns under the hoop... but Towns is not even in the frame at the play's conclusion.

Accountability can come from more than just the coach. Young guys need positive examples from veteran leaders.

Good pick up, I didn't notice that on first watch.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves