The Fire Rosas Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Re: The Fire Rosas Thread 

Post#181 » by Merc_Porto » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:13 am

Klomp wrote:
Merc_Porto wrote:You guys really like to talk about Wiggins when the major problem never was to get rid of Wigggins.

The major problem was to get Dlo for that absurd package.

But Wiggins still sucks? Who cares, so Dlo.
But in the process we gave a valuable asset.

But ok, let's continue to ignore the point here.

For a team that doesn't have the highest tier of star, Wiggins isn't good enough to carry a No. 2 load. He's really not even good enough with a Tier 1 star, but that shows how good Curry was playing this year. Russell has proven he can be a top option on a playoff team without another Tier 1 star.

For what Minnesota needs, Russell is better fit. He provides more value than Wiggins, to where giving up the pick is manageable.

Again, that's not the point at all.
Magoose
Junior
And1: 136

Post#182 » by Magoose » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:28 am

Klomp wrote:This will never be a free agent destination. Develop assets and try to move them off for better pieces that wouldn't normally choose Minnesota in free agency. Russell and Beasley are examples of guys who wouldn't normally choose the Minnesota market if given the option before they were traded here.

And this is exactly why a Non-FA Destination like Minnesota should not carelessly trade lightly protected FRP. High FRP are our most important asset. You simply cannot trade this type of assets for mediocre players (remember that Jaric trade?) or for players that are clearly overpaid and won't move the needle for us.
You simply don't do that unless it is for a game changer. Which DLo is not.
In addition Rosas put the organization in horrible position when DLos contract expires in two years. What are you going to do then? Trade him? Offer him a contract extension for a discount? Hand out another max contract to him because there is fear you might otherwise disgruntle Russell which will have an impact on Towns desire to stay in Minnesota?

I agree that you have to overpay for FAs if you're Minnesota. I also agree that you have to gamble on players that are talented but currently underperforming on their current team or are bench players like Beasley was in Denver.

But what you can easily see is what other non-FA franchises like Atlanta, Denver, Phoenix, Utah, Milwaukee did: They built through the draft until they got a very solid foundation and then traded for/overpaid FA for the missing pieces. Other than Towns we did not have that foundational pieces yet.
So let's find out first what we have in Towns and Edwards and how far they can get us if healthy.
Then you look out for the missing pieces (interior defense, outside shooting etc.) via trade or free agency to round out that roster.

But rounding out the roster and especially overpaying by using our most valuable assets before you have even your foundation set is not the way to do it.
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,182

Post#183 » by Neeva » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:55 am

Rosas did it to keep towns happy. Should have traded towns instead, his value was at all time high back then..:
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,456

Post#184 » by Foye » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:06 pm

Merc_Porto wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Merc_Porto wrote:You guys really like to talk about Wiggins when the major problem never was to get rid of Wigggins.

For a team that doesn't have the highest tier of star, Wiggins isn't good enough to carry a No. 2 load. He's really not even good enough with a Tier 1 star, but that shows how good Curry was playing this year. Russell has proven he can be a top option on a playoff team without another Tier 1 star.

For what Minnesota needs, Russell is better fit. He provides more value than Wiggins, to where giving up the pick is manageable.

And conveniently ignores the fact that Russell ain't good enough for the No. 2 load either.
At least not if you want to be a winning team.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,704

Post#185 » by minimus » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:22 pm

Magoose wrote:
Klomp wrote:This will never be a free agent destination. Develop assets and try to move them off for better pieces that wouldn't normally choose Minnesota in free agency. Russell and Beasley are examples of guys who wouldn't normally choose the Minnesota market if given the option before they were traded here.

And this is exactly why a Non-FA Destination like Minnesota should not carelessly trade lightly protected FRP. High FRP are our most important asset. You simply cannot trade this type of assets for mediocre players (remember that Jaric trade?) or for players that are clearly overpaid and won't move the needle for us. You simply don't do that unless it is for a game changer. Which DLo is not.

The game changer is KAT. He also is our most important asset. As someone said Rosas paid that price #7 pick (because GSW wanted 2020 FRP) to get Edwards, McDaniels and Bolmaro. Plus DLo. Rosas had to accelerate rebuilding process because its KATs prime. Even now at the lowest point of his management process Rosas did a good job of bringing back hope to this franchise. The only positive roster asset left after Thibs tenure - RoCo got us Beasley, Juancho, Vando and McDaniels. There has been no cap space. Rosas missed on Culver, but thats why it is called lottery. But he found, scouted and brought here Edwards, Reid, Nowell, McLaughlin, Vando, Bolmaro and McDaniels. He did it without many resources in two years. One year actually was completely ruined by COVID. I mean, lets be realistic, if your best chance to improve this franchise is tanking, then you are a bad GM. And even if you are good at tanking, you still might be fallen out of draft top3, see ORL.

To sum up: losing #7 pick hurts. But there is no reason to be sure that #7 pick could bring us an immediate help. It is not a top3 pick. We can now just move forward. Edwards is only a month younger than Cunningham, McDaniels and Bolmaro are also young. We had potentially the best draft in many years in 2020. We finally have whole offseason and preseason to develop our young players, build chemistry.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,829

Post#186 » by Klomp » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:46 pm

Foye wrote:And conveniently ignores the fact that Russell ain't good enough for the No. 2 load either.

His stint int Brooklyn gives evidence to the contrary.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,829

Post#187 » by Klomp » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:52 pm

Merc_Porto wrote:
Klomp wrote:

The last part was entirely the point.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#188 » by Merc_Porto » Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:10 pm

As for the other absurd excuse about KAT being happy or sad. The Phoenix Suns refused to go after Dlo in 2019 to make Booker happy and instead, they went for Rubio.

And then they made a game changer move for a real impactful player in Chris Paul in the next year.

I guess Booker is pretty unhappy at this point on how the things went.
minimus
RealGM

Post#189 » by minimus » Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:36 pm

Merc_Porto wrote:As for the other absurd excuse about KAT being happy or sad. The Phoenix Suns refused to go after Dlo in 2019 to make Booker happy and instead, they went for Rubio. And then they made a game changer move for a real impactful player in Chris Paul in the next year. I guess Booker is pretty unhappy at this point on how the things went.

We made a game changer move for a real impactful player in Jimmy Butler. He was not a bad fit, but all other FAs acquisitions: AW(!!!), Teague, Dieng, Gibson (at less degree) failed to meet expectations. It was a team that did not have balance and any real shooters. Butler was pretty unhappy in MIN, destroyed his coach and team. Rubio and CP3 came to PHO who already had young core of Ayton, Bridges and Booker. They have been well balanced team. When MIN is healthy this year, they showed a lot of promise. They beat POR, UTA, MIA, PHX. And we finally saw KAT smiling.

Read on Twitter
Foye

Post#190 » by Foye » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:21 pm

Klomp wrote:
Foye wrote:And conveniently ignores the fact that Russell ain't good enough for the No. 2 load either.

How many playoff series did they win?

None.
minimus
RealGM

Post#191 » by minimus » Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:56 am

Foye wrote:
Klomp wrote:

How many playoff series did they win?

None.

Different team, different situations. How many playoff series did MIA with Butler win this season? It does not matter.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#192 » by Killboard » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:46 pm

Foye wrote:
Merc_Porto wrote:
Klomp wrote:For a team that doesn't have the highest tier of star, Wiggins isn't good enough to carry a No. 2 load. He's really not even good enough with a Tier 1 star, but that shows how good Curry was playing this year. Russell has proven he can be a top option on a playoff team without another Tier 1 star.

And conveniently ignores the fact that Russell ain't good enough for the No. 2 load either.

He is fine as second scorer. He is not good enough to carry a roster of 21 years old players to the playoffs as a second best overall player in the west (he did it in the east when surrounded with veterans and good defensive players though).But is fine, Wiggins as the 2nd best player won't make you a playoff team even with a veteran team around including a HOF in a MVP year and a former DPOY in an All-Defense year.

Hopefully Ant will be the 2nd scorer and the best overall player. If Dlo can make KAT to commit&wait 2 or 3 more years for Ant to take over, be the main scorer with bench units, and shoot 40% from 3 in 8 3PA like he did to open the floor for KAT&ANT, he will be worth a 7th pick.

And don't forget wolves had to miss 50 games of Dlo&KAT together to end up @7th. Rosas wasn't wrong this roster had talent to end up in the late lottery, even when he took the inherent risk that trading picks has about your star players missing months, he did it to keep the franchise player commited.
Rookie-Mistake
Rookie
And1: 390

Post#193 » by Rookie-Mistake » Fri Aug 6, 2021 10:47 am

His seat is getting warmer.

He is constantly moving the goal posts on what he is aiming for.

I was always a supporter for whatever he was trying to accomplish but the recent comments about the 4 have me sceptical and I now believe he has learnt from his mistakes of trying to be to analytical with 131 and drafting for a type.

1.3.1 has now moved to 1-5 in a traditional sense and has moved away from from what he advertised.

I'm not condoning him getting fired.

I'm not being critical of the lack of office season moves as I believe continuity and team building with a new coach is more important than whole sale changes.

But don't pi$$ on our backs and tell us it's raining.

Sent from my SM-G991B using RealGM mobile app
minimus
RealGM

Post#194 » by minimus » Fri Aug 6, 2021 11:20 am

Offseason is not finished yet. Moreover, FAs cannot be even signed yet, hence some trades will be done starting from Aug.6.
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,526

Post#195 » by Note30 » Fri Aug 6, 2021 3:53 pm

Killboard wrote:
Foye wrote:
Merc_Porto wrote:

He is fine as second scorer. He is not good enough to carry a roster of 21 years old players to the playoffs as a second best overall player in the west (he did it in the east when surrounded with veterans and good defensive players though).But is fine, Wiggins as the 2nd best player won't make you a playoff team even with a veteran team around including a HOF in a MVP year and a former DPOY in an All-Defense year.

Hopefully Ant will be the 2nd scorer and the best overall player. If Dlo can make KAT to commit&wait 2 or 3 more years for Ant to take over, be the main scorer with bench units, and shoot 40% from 3 in 8 3PA like he did to open the floor for KAT&ANT, he will be worth a 7th pick.

And don't forget wolves had to miss 50 games of Dlo&KAT together to end up @7th. Rosas wasn't wrong this roster had talent to end up in the late lottery, even when he took the inherent risk that trading picks has about your star players missing months, he did it to keep the franchise player commited.

Actually he was arguably the most consistent player on that roster last year. And they got insanely close to the playoffs, they were technically 8th seed I think.

Wiggins is a great player to have as a actual 3rd/4th option. The problem is the only decent player they had on offense was Curry against the Lakers. They almost won that thing if it wasn't for LeBrons miracle 3.

Wiggins only flaw is his contract, if he was making 12-15 mill per year any team would be willing to have him as their #3 or #4
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

[*]-Mar 2023 in reference to the Gobert trade.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,259

Post#196 » by Baseline81 » Fri Aug 6, 2021 8:03 pm

Rosas said the team's focus, primarily through trades, was upgrading the PF position (he's had two off-seasons now). He may have over played his hand and nothing happened. Making calls is one thing, but closing is another.

Thus far, the response has been to look internal -- McDaniels, Prince, a re-signed Vanderbilt, and playing Reid next to Towns. What a joke.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Foye

Post#197 » by Foye » Sat Aug 7, 2021 8:51 am

Baseline81 wrote:Rosas said the team's focus, primarily through trades, was upgrading the PF position (he's had two off-seasons now). He may have over played his hand and nothing happened. Making calls is one thing, but closing is another.

Thus far, the response has been to look internal -- McDaniels, Prince, a re-signed Vanderbilt, and playing Reid next to Towns. What a joke.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

:lol: :lol: :lol:
m2002brian
Veteran
And1: 1,104

Post#198 » by m2002brian » Sat Aug 7, 2021 3:25 pm

Rosas is toast.

His only move this off-season thus far has been to make the team worse.
Wow! Great job Gersson

Maybe we can trade a few more players away for lesser players and more cap space so Glen can afford to sell the team faster.
BLUEGREENRED
minimus
RealGM

Post#199 » by minimus » Sat Aug 7, 2021 3:35 pm

Everytime I open this board I am hoping to read some toxic free, realistic comments. I should probably thank many posters for disappointing me even more.
m2002brian
Veteran
And1: 1,104

Post#200 » by m2002brian » Sat Aug 7, 2021 3:48 pm

minimus wrote:Everytime I open this board I am hoping to read some toxic free, realistic comments. I should probably thank many posters for disappointing me even more.

You do realize that this is the Minnesota Timberwolves board, right?
The team that has made the playoffs once in the last 10 years. The team that over the past ten seasons has a 38.4% winning percentage.
So…. You’ll have to forgive is reality based, or as you call them, “toxic”, posters. Maybe some of us have seen the patterns and bullshot before and we aren’t fooled.
BLUEGREENRED

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves