ImageImageImage

The Fire Rosas Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Calinks, Worm Guts

Jedzz
RealGM
Posts: 12,322
And1: 2,503
Joined: Oct 05, 2018

Re: The Fire Rosas Thread 

Post#81 » by Jedzz » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:56 am

PharmD wrote:DLo sucking is a hard truth. Because DLo sucks there's just no hope. He has Wiggins' contract and is worse and there's the draft pick of course.


OMG some of you don't stop with this nonsense. Hard truth? Shame on you. Truth should not be drug through the mud like you have done here.

Wiggins only once averaged 35% from 3 before this very season (his 7th season). Five seasons at 33% to 30% range. He has 5 seasons of eFG in the 40s. (45, 48, 48,48,46)

Dlo is in his 6th season now. He's had 5 seasons 35% or above. Including this season of 40% for the Timberwolves being his best yet. (.399) His EFG% is his third best this very season and he's had 3 seasons above 50% eFG and 3 seasons at 48%. He's averaged less shots than Wiggins on their careers, about the same rebounds, Dlo's had twice the assists and higher amount of steals.

Dlo is a better player than Wiggins is and it's not close. He's shot better here than his career avg. during this stupid mess. You people are fakes and loaded with untruths.

The draft pick was included in the trade because Wiggins had to have a pick attached to him to move him anywhere. If Dlo wasn't in the mix we would have multiple dead weight bodies from filler on various multi year deals to wait out.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
Posts: 9,736
And1: 3,375
Joined: Nov 21, 2013
   

Re: The Fire Rosas Thread 

Post#82 » by Merc_Porto » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:02 am

Today was also again the proof that Rosas is still way too much in love with his assets. He can say the right deal wasn't there or whatever but not making a single move is just weird. Not even a minor move to balance the roster a little bit more.

With Dlo and Beasley back what is going to happen with Culver and Nowell? We talked about this before the season started. With everybody healthy there was not going to be minutes for everybody because of the logjam of guards. And then we tried to start Layman, Okogie and Juancho as PF's.

I'm not even mention the fact that with Dlo back the ball is not going to be in Edwards hands anymore. And the crazy high usage of Dlo and Ant plus the ideia of Finch to be all about running an offense trought KAT.

And Rubio? And why keeping at this point?
Beasley another guy that doesn't want to come off the bench.

Is a disaster about to happen.

But i'm really curious about all of this (mess) now.
Jedzz
RealGM
Posts: 12,322
And1: 2,503
Joined: Oct 05, 2018

Re: The Fire Rosas Thread 

Post#83 » by Jedzz » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:06 am

Merc_Porto wrote:Today was also again the proof that Rosas is still way too much in love with his assets. He can say the right deal wasn't there or whatever but not making a single move is just weird. Not even a minor move to balance the roster a little bit more.


Hey wow you finally posted a logical opinion. Congrats. Luv progress. I think you just made this my favorite thread.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 56,926
And1: 12,704
Joined: Jul 08, 2005
Contact:
   

Re: The Fire Rosas Thread 

Post#84 » by Klomp » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:40 am

Jedzz wrote:
IceManBK1 wrote:Pshh he says we have to give up young talent to make moves at the deadline. So we don't have to give up young talent if we make a trade in the summer :crazy:
It's all just words. Talk is cheap. Dude failed. He failed to build a team. He's been trying to play a little game of collect and carry assets for periods of time and trading up pennys for nickels for quarters when timing suits him better and it's just backfied in the past two big opportunities. He's also failed in my opinion to capture the best player or value with his top two picks now. Even if the team gets a top3 now, who believes it's going to be the right choice? Who believes they will be inserted correcting into the rookie season next year? Who believes the team is going to magically align next season?

You cannot say he failed until he is fired. He may not be there, but there is always a chance things will turn around until it is over.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Posts: 43,100
And1: 10,033
Joined: Mar 29, 2006
   

Re: The Fire Rosas Thread 

Post#85 » by Calinks » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:48 am

UnFadeable21 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=21

I like that first tweet. I have been feeling like the NBA is back to being big, at least bigger. I think the small ball stuff should be left behind, you need a certain level of talent to do that and we don't have it.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Jedzz
RealGM
Posts: 12,322
And1: 2,503
Joined: Oct 05, 2018

Re: The Fire Rosas Thread 

Post#86 » by Jedzz » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:03 am

Klomp wrote:
Jedzz wrote:
IceManBK1 wrote:Pshh he says we have to give up young talent to make moves at the deadline. So we don't have to give up young talent if we make a trade in the summer :crazy:
It's all just words. Talk is cheap. Dude failed. He failed to build a team. He's been trying to play a little game of collect and carry assets for periods of time and trading up pennys for nickels for quarters when timing suits him better and it's just backfied in the past two big opportunities. He's also failed in my opinion to capture the best player or value with his top two picks now. Even if the team gets a top3 now, who believes it's going to be the right choice? Who believes they will be inserted correcting into the rookie season next year? Who believes the team is going to magically align next season?

You cannot say he failed until he is fired. He may not be there, but there is always a chance things will turn around until it is over.


Sports is sports. GM and Coaching roles fail to build progress and he's in the thick of doing so now.

How do you see him saving this now that he's been shown by other teams that they don't want what he's selling and his team isn't generating better individual values by losing?
Jedzz
RealGM
Posts: 12,322
And1: 2,503
Joined: Oct 05, 2018

Re: The Fire Rosas Thread 

Post#87 » by Jedzz » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:13 am

Calinks wrote:
UnFadeable21 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=21

I like that first tweet. I have been feeling like the NBA is back to being big, at least bigger. I think the small ball stuff should be left behind, you need a certain level of talent to do that and we don't have it.


ROSAS wrote:Are we seeing the early cycling of the two bigs back? And what does that mean for basketball? We've studied all of that... Because you don't want to be behind."

Early cycling?
Oh you are behind buddy pal Rosas. Kids in their teens on sports forums were telling you long before your studies caught up. He's just catching wind of this now?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 56,926
And1: 12,704
Joined: Jul 08, 2005
Contact:
   

Re: The Fire Rosas Thread 

Post#88 » by Klomp » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:14 am

Jedzz wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Jedzz wrote: It's all just words. Talk is cheap. Dude failed. He failed to build a team. He's been trying to play a little game of collect and carry assets for periods of time and trading up pennys for nickels for quarters when timing suits him better and it's just backfied in the past two big opportunities. He's also failed in my opinion to capture the best player or value with his top two picks now. Even if the team gets a top3 now, who believes it's going to be the right choice? Who believes they will be inserted correcting into the rookie season next year? Who believes the team is going to magically align next season?

You cannot say he failed until he is fired. He may not be there, but there is always a chance things will turn around until it is over.


Sports is sports. GM and Coaching roles fail to build progress and he's in the thick of doing so now.

first year he said one thing. Moved all kinds of new players in that didn't match that. Moved players throughout season and ok fine because at deadline the roster finally looks closer to what he was saying all along. Let's try that in year 2.

Nope. Year 2 every decision made seems to have gone against the prior grain and all 30-40 whatever prior player movements. Story completely changes who they want to be, what they are asking their players to do.

Current roster has been hurting itself and lowering value of everyone. Even a guy like Dlo who had many of his stats at or near career highs here is getting torched by the spiteful fans, including the bobos, because Rosas brought back their fav for whatever kooked out reason and apparantly they will say anything to get people out of his way. Kind of like they did once to Thibs to get their boy Saunders in play. So the fans aren't helping.

How do you see him saving this now that he's been shown by other teams that they don't want what he's selling and his team isn't generating better individual values by losing? Soon all he'll have to sell is the Max players. Sure Kat will net him a big return next year's deadline or the offseason after. Will that then be considered the success he was targeting? He could have done that year 1 and been much further along already just out of odds of amount of picks he would have had.

Failed indicates past tense, that it's over. This is why things can change. It's not over until he is fired.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
Jedzz
RealGM
Posts: 12,322
And1: 2,503
Joined: Oct 05, 2018

Re: The Fire Rosas Thread 

Post#89 » by Jedzz » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:24 am

Klomp wrote:Failed indicates past tense, that it's over. This is why things can change. It's not over until he is fired.


He's failed to build a team with an obscene amount of player moves since taking over. Past tense because all these players have come and gone and this is what he built so far. The last place team and he can't find any takers.

I was all in on what he pulled together after the deadline last season. I knew it wasn't taking them to the finals as is, but it could have been really good improvement. A step forward. Then he chose to blow all that up because one #1 lotto pick blew his mind it seems. He took all that energy they put in selling the idea of one type of team, one culture that they would slowly find the players for and then threw it out the window with headscratcher after scratcher this past offseason and he didn't move any of his dead weight then. Now he can't move dead weight now, not even small fries at the deadline to better align this to help player values rise with better play.

Calinks just posted a quote from tweet where he's claiming they were looking at a PF this trade deadline because they might have finally noticed how many teams were kicking their butts with dual bigs again. He says "they've studied that" so they don't fall behind.

This late to the party guy is going to solve it now? People here could have solved this his first year, definitely this past offseason. Endless two years of complaints about this small ball madness. He only had the first pick and therefore the pick of the litter. What else does he need to try. He did not know.
Jedzz
RealGM
Posts: 12,322
And1: 2,503
Joined: Oct 05, 2018

Re: The Fire Rosas Thread 

Post#90 » by Jedzz » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:33 am

Many were on his case about Juancho being all they had this offseason. I remember a few of us posted that we think he was going to give Juancho that shot. But many were saying he should get someone additional. They had a couple smaller cheaper PF's tested that at least brought the wood more and they threw them to the curb. Why? I was posting about grabbing Patton or someone like him that could help from PF or C. Can't, because he was still stuck in strict small ball and even his Gleague team echos that.

This supposedly well studied front office didn't see all the teams loading up the PF role with bigs or at least very large forwards and extra depth Centers?
UnFadeable21
Starter
Posts: 2,098
And1: 584
Joined: Mar 30, 2019

Re: The Fire Rosas Thread 

Post#91 » by UnFadeable21 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:34 am

Calinks wrote:
UnFadeable21 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=21

I like that first tweet. I have been feeling like the NBA is back to being big, at least bigger. I think the small ball stuff should be left behind, you need a certain level of talent to do that and we don't have it.



Agreed, everyone saw the warriors dynasty and thought that was the only way to win. 3pt shots and play small
and fast except that team has the two greatest of the shooters ever on it.
winforlose
Pro Prospect
Posts: 880
And1: 301
Joined: Feb 27, 2020

Re: The Fire Rosas Thread 

Post#92 » by winforlose » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:45 pm

For anyone who didn’t understand my GSW comparison yesterday look at the blowout loss the Warriors suffered without Curry. When your best player is absent and other key players are missing you lose games.
Jedzz
RealGM
Posts: 12,322
And1: 2,503
Joined: Oct 05, 2018

Re: The Fire Rosas Thread 

Post#93 » by Jedzz » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:57 pm

UnFadeable21 wrote:
Calinks wrote:
UnFadeable21 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=21

I like that first tweet. I have been feeling like the NBA is back to being big, at least bigger. I think the small ball stuff should be left behind, you need a certain level of talent to do that and we don't have it.



Agreed, everyone saw the warriors dynasty and thought that was the only way to win. 3pt shots and play small
and fast except that team has the two greatest of the shooters ever on it.


There was also the Houston example built on a singular great shooter and IQ Competitor that belongs in the conversation and their team competed regularly at nearly the highest level. Your point still applies, without that you can't expect it to work.

However, with two 39-40% shooters from Guard roles willing to jack shots up, this team had a chance to accomplish something much higher than their norm and really test this small+1 big theory which is a little different. With Towns adding a big and a third player capable of 40%, this team had a shot if they could ever get them playing together long enough. I've heard and read nothing but dismissals of these recent additions and they think they can get away with this because the team has been a loser. But it's just not an honest appraisal of their chance to be special if you don't admit they didn't get to play together.

With Edwards plus Rubio being brought into this I think the chance to see it truly tested is maybe completely gone.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
Posts: 9,736
And1: 3,375
Joined: Nov 21, 2013
   

Re: The Fire Rosas Thread 

Post#94 » by Merc_Porto » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:56 pm

If a basketball game was all about shooting and scoring without anything else the Clippers wouldn't trade Lou Williams for Rondo. (Latest example)

Is unbelievable to present all this raw shooting numbers all the time without taking anything else in consideration.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 56,926
And1: 12,704
Joined: Jul 08, 2005
Contact:
   

Re: The Fire Rosas Thread 

Post#95 » by Klomp » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:14 pm

Merc_Porto wrote:If a basketball game was all about shooting and scoring without anything else the Clippers wouldn't trade Lou Williams for Rondo. (Latest example)

Is unbelievable to present all this raw shooting numbers all the time without taking anything else in consideration.

If a basketball game wasn't all about shooting and scoring without anything else the Hawks wouldn't trade Rajon Rondo for Lou Williams.

See how easy it is to look at things from a different perspective? Maybe more people should try it....
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
Posts: 9,736
And1: 3,375
Joined: Nov 21, 2013
   

Re: The Fire Rosas Thread 

Post#96 » by Merc_Porto » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:22 pm

Klomp wrote:
Merc_Porto wrote:If a basketball game was all about shooting and scoring without anything else the Clippers wouldn't trade Lou Williams for Rondo. (Latest example)

Is unbelievable to present all this raw shooting numbers all the time without taking anything else in consideration.

If a basketball game wasn't all about shooting and scoring without anything else the Hawks wouldn't trade Rajon Rondo for Lou Williams.

See how easy it is to look at things from a different perspective? Maybe more people should try it....


I see Klomp...
Now try to think this way, who paid the higher price for a player that is having a down year (Rondo) vs a player that statistically (scoring and shooting wise) is better than the other one and always was in his entire carrer.

Also, some context please... Hawks vs the contendor Clippers.
ChiefKeith91
Sophomore
Posts: 141
And1: 44
Joined: Nov 13, 2020
     

Re: The Fire Rosas Thread 

Post#97 » by ChiefKeith91 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:49 pm

Merc_Porto wrote:If a basketball game was all about shooting and scoring without anything else the Clippers wouldn't trade Lou Williams for Rondo. (Latest example)

Is unbelievable to present all this raw shooting numbers all the time without taking anything else in consideration.

The Clippers had enough defense to compete at a high level without asking Lou to play lockdown d. Lou will is consistently targeted in PNR when games get close. Look at the last few games vs Lakers. Once 4th quarter hit, whoever Lou is sticking goes to set a pick for lebron and then it’s clear out.

I think they went after Rondo for his Playmaking ability the defense is a plus. Hence why they were linked to Rubio.


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
TheProdigy
Starter
Posts: 2,066
And1: 757
Joined: Feb 21, 2001

Re: The Fire Rosas Thread 

Post#98 » by TheProdigy » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:51 pm

Rosas has made two critical errors in my opinion:

1) Trading up to draft Culver. Culver had a completely broken jump shot coming out of college and his athleticism has never been good enough to overcome it.

2) Trading Wiggs and lightly protected 1st for DLo. I don't think DLo is a good fit for the type of offense we want to run. DLo is probably the slowest & unenergetic point guard in the entire league, but yet Rosas wants the team to push the tempo. Instead what we get is a point guard who jogs up the court and then takes contested shots early in the shot clock instead of creating. Then there is the light protection on the pick. I'm sure Rosas was betting on us being better than we are, but the reality is nothing up until the trade happened should have made him believe this team would be any better than we are.

Edit: There is one more error I forgot to mention.

3) The roster is constructed with too many players within similar skill level tiers. The injuries we've had are actually a blessing in a way because we have gotten a chance to see guys like Nowell and McDaniels shine. The problem is that now that Culver and DLo are back (almost back in DLo's case), playing time is going to be tight and some guys are not going to get enough minutes to get in a rhythm which will lower their trade value for this offseason.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
Posts: 9,736
And1: 3,375
Joined: Nov 21, 2013
   

Re: The Fire Rosas Thread 

Post#99 » by Merc_Porto » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:57 pm

ChiefKeith91 wrote:
Merc_Porto wrote:If a basketball game was all about shooting and scoring without anything else the Clippers wouldn't trade Lou Williams for Rondo. (Latest example)

Is unbelievable to present all this raw shooting numbers all the time without taking anything else in consideration.

The Clippers had enough defense to compete at a high level without asking Lou to play lockdown d. Lou will is consistently targeted in PNR when games get close. Look at the last few games vs Lakers. Once 4th quarter hit, whoever Lou is sticking goes to set a pick for lebron and then it’s clear out.

I think they went after Rondo for his Playmaking ability the defense is a plus. Hence why they were linked to Rubio.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app


Exactly my point. That is why we cant look at raw shooting numbers only (Dlo and Beasley in this case) and think they are going to be unstopabble just because they have good % from outside. Btw the league at this moment has 52 players shooting above 40% from outside. 52. Crazy.

With Dlo you have the count the crazy high usage he has, the lack of effort, the inability to get to the FT line - finishing at rim, defense. And with Beasley is pretty much the same thing without the usage stuff.
Teams dont build champions or contendors thinking this way.
Merc_Porto
General Manager
Posts: 9,736
And1: 3,375
Joined: Nov 21, 2013
   

Re: The Fire Rosas Thread 

Post#100 » by Merc_Porto » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:09 pm

Let me also mention this...

If Rosas is an analytic guy and makes his decisions through the numbers then we know he only made the trade for Dlo because of KAT. Nothing else. Because the FACT is...

In terms of analytics D'Angelo Russell is one of worse players you can get it in this league.

Or maybe Rosas is not an analytic guy after all.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves