ImageImageImage

[Krawczynski] Alex Rodriguez and Marc Lore in serious talks to become the next owners of the Minnesota Timberwolves

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,978

Re: [Krawczynski] Alex Rodriguez and Marc Lore in serious talks to become the next owners of the Minnesota Timberwolves 

Post#201 » by Nick K » Wed Jun 9, 2021 3:02 am

Mattya wrote:I don’t think millionaires or even billionaires buying real estate here really means anything for their intent to stay in Minnesota.

Sure it does and so does their early work in the community. No guarantees. Why worry about them moving at this point? Seems pointless to me. Why not deal with it when the time comes? If it ever does.
Nick K
Lead Assistant

Re: [Krawczynski] Alex Rodriguez and Marc Lore in serious talks to become the next owners of the Minnesota Timberwolves 

Post#202 » by Nick K » Wed Jun 9, 2021 3:03 am

shrink wrote:
Mattya wrote:I don’t think millionaires or even billionaires buying real estate here really means anything for their intent to stay in Minnesota.

It’s a leverage play.

If you’re the owner, you can decide whether to build a new stadium, and where it will go. Just like the Vikings, ARod and Lore could buy up a bunch of cheap land in, say, Friendly Fridley, and if they build a new stadium there, all that land spikes in value, when they sell their fields to Pizza Luce and deluxe condos. When they threaten this, they can get tax breaks or even direct taxpayer dollars to update the current old arena, and stay downtown.

Anyway, if they were planning on moving, why buy Minnesota land at all? They could simply threaten MIN with moving, and if they didn’t like the offer, simply move anyway.

Exactly.
Nick K
Lead Assistant

Post#203 » by Nick K » Wed Jun 9, 2021 3:13 am

Neeva wrote:I mean if you wanna stick your head in the sand and pretend everything is hunky-dory go right ahead. The Wolves need to win and the fans need to show up.

My head isn't buried in the sand it's perfectly centered in reality. There is not one cintilla of evidence they want to move the team. Perhaps you get tremendous comfort out of your worry. I don't. It's not going to change anything anyway.
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,314

Post#204 » by Mattya » Wed Jun 9, 2021 3:18 am

Nick K wrote:

Sure it does and so does their early work in the community. No guarantees. Why worry about them moving at this point? Seems pointless to me. Why not deal with it when the time comes? If it ever does.

No it doesn’t. Rich people buying properties, or building properties to make money off is business. Corporations buying real estate has been one of the big reasons for real estate prices surging all over the country. They are looking to make money. Let them prove actual community involvement, not just growing a real estate portfolio.

I’m not worried about it yet, but I think this is a pretty silly take.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,256

Post#205 » by BlacJacMac » Wed Jun 9, 2021 4:03 am

I’m shocked the Wilf’s weren’t able to move the Vikings to NY…
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,575

Post#206 » by HartfordWhalers » Wed Jun 9, 2021 10:17 am

Nick K wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:
Nick K wrote:Why would anybody at this point worry about the Wolves leaving MN? The new owners have bot real estate here in the community. The new guys have given no hints that they want to move the team.

The time to worry about it is when the new owners say they'd like to move the team. Sheesh!

'

Do you have a link to that? I can't find anything beyond early generic talks that Lore and Rodriguez would like to develop something around the team (and there is no reason it would have to be in Minnesota for that to happen).

I don't have the link but I distinctly remember reading that A-Rod bot development property and my impression was out by Bloomington-Egan sort of area. Both guys are seriously involved currently in community development to heal from the riots this past year. KG is to be involved in community things as well. That's the early plan.

Zyg Wilf kept the Vikings here. I'd bet a dime to a dollar they have talked to Wilf which cemented their belief in MSP. Just my 2 cents.

Another guess I have is they probably want to build a new arena...maybe in Egan.

Here is a link: https://finance-commerce.com/2020/04/a-rod-bulks-up-on-eagan-apartments/

Unless there is something else, it is not raw development land, or anything that would seem stadium related but instead a standard investment in 2 rental apartment buildings and nothing where Rodriquez would make any equity on an increase in value, just somewhere that his already existing real estate management company is managing the 2 apartments for the investors similar to what it does elsewhere:

Rodriguez does not have a stake in those investments but does control the company that will manage the two Eagan properties, said Israel Kreps, a public relations representative that works with Monument.
Mattya
RealGM

Post#207 » by Mattya » Wed Jun 9, 2021 5:26 pm

I see this work in the community line here as well. What have they actually done in the Minneapolis community? Is there a link or tweet of anything besides buying some rentals in Eagan? Why are people trying so hard to push this narrative? Especially that they are trying to heal after the “riots”…
Nick K
Lead Assistant

Post#208 » by Nick K » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:24 am

Mattya wrote:I see this work in the community line here as well. What have they actually done in the Minneapolis community? Is there a link or tweet of anything besides buying some rentals in Eagan? Why are people trying so hard to push this narrative? Especially that they are trying to heal after the “riots”…

I'm just passing along my impressions of what I've read over the last 2 weeks. These are minor circumstantial points. Nobody is pushing anything.

Referring to Community development and bringing KG in I more than likely I read it in "The Athletic".
Mattya
RealGM

Post#209 » by Mattya » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:50 pm

Nick K wrote:
Mattya wrote:I see this work in the community line here as well. What have they actually done in the Minneapolis community? Is there a link or tweet of anything besides buying some rentals in Eagan? Why are people trying so hard to push this narrative? Especially that they are trying to heal after the “riots”…

I'm just passing along my impressions of what I've read over the last 2 weeks. These are minor circumstantial points. Nobody is pushing anything.

Referring to Community development and bringing KG in I more than likely I read it in "The Athletic".

So is buying apartment complexes part of community development? KG being brought in is just a rumor at this point.

When they they actually do something in the community then we give them credit, not before.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,849

Post#210 » by KGdaBom » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:05 pm

Mattya wrote:
Nick K wrote:

So is buying apartment complexes part of community development? KG being brought in is just a rumor at this point.

When they they actually do something in the community then we give them credit, not before.

Agreed Mattya. Actions speak louder than Rumors to me.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,388

Post#211 » by younggunsmn » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:52 pm

Buying apartments in Eagan isn't "investing in the community", that area has more than enough money believe you me.
Spending money on real estate gives you an asset to leverage for a loan that could be several times what you could get with the outright cash you spent on said real estate. This is how the rich inflate their net worth and take on huge risks.
If they complete the purchase of the team, they will almost certainly be doing it with loaned money secured with leverage from real estate There is nothing magnanimous about buying real estate in MN.

If they want to "invest in the community" they can start spending it in places that actually need it.
Instead they will likely look to shake down taxpayers again for more money so they have more super expensive suites to sell to the rich corporate world.

Shrink makes a good point in that pro sports owners often try to make tons of cash developing land around the site of newly built sports facilities. They are trying to pull the same shakedown in Oakland right now. The Wilfs developed the area around the Vikings training facility. I always find it completely ludicrous pro sports owners saying they are "investing in the community" after the taxpayers fund their infrastructure for them. When the Wilfs put a billion back into hennepin county they can start talking. Us dumb yokels are supposed to sit back and praise them for not moving our team away. You want to buy the TImberwolves and want us to spend our hard earned money on your product? Tell us how YOU are different and what YOU are going to do for US!

If I had my way I would force all pro sports leagues to fund their own stadiums with their own revenue, and they would easily be able to do it. Threaten to revoke their antitrust exemption until they change their business model to reflect the funding of their own infrastructure. 10% of gross should easily cover a new stadium every 30 years for every franchise.
Minnesota Power
Pro Prospect
And1: 207

Post#212 » by Minnesota Power » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:40 pm

I want to move back to Minnesota, I miss it sooooo much! :cry:
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,708

Post#213 » by shrink » Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:12 am

Minnesota Power wrote:Remember when ya'll thought I was crazy like 6-7 years ago and blew me off for panicking about the Wolves possible relocating in a scenario like this when the day would finally come that Glen Traitor would finally decide to sell the team

I hope you haven’t lived in this panic for 6-7 years.

And aren’t you being premature? Predicting an 80 year old Taylor would sell the team isn’t an accomplishment - we all knew he would eventually sell it.

But the team hasn’t relocated. Hopefully you don’t live with many more years of panic if it stays here, while you wait for relocation someday.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,529

Post#214 » by Worm Guts » Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:19 am

Minnesota Power wrote:Remember when ya'll thought I was crazy like 6-7 years ago and blew me off for panicking about the Wolves possible relocating in a scenario like this when the day would finally come that Glen Traitor would finally decide to sell the team?

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1273504

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1277246

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1279629

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1279829

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1280898

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1281549

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1283844

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1286813

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1370381

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1286441

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1314982

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1339258

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1363425

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1379805

How do you think this makes you look good?

This is sort of like being panicked right now about Anthony Edwards leaving as a free agent 7 years from now. It’s possible you’ll be right, but it’s super weird to be panicked about it now.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,708

Post#215 » by shrink » Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:27 am

So I never really understood this hatred Kevin Garnett has for Glen Taylor. I knew they’d exchanged barbs, but it seemed like Kevin’s were always a lot more pointed. I had heard a rumor that KG felt he had made the Wolves a legitimate franchise, so he should be able to buy the franchise at it’s price tag before he got here. Also, Taylor had written checks and made KG the biggest salaried player at one point, and made the franchise around him. I always thought at the end of the day, they’d make nice, and Taylor could honor KG by hanging his jersey in the rafters.

The other day, I was listening to Doogie’s podcast, and one of KG’s teammates made it all clear to me. Remember KG’s final season before the Boston trade? As usual for this time of year, the team was doing poorly. We hadn’t traded for an aging Iverson for another grasp at relevancy, and we were near the end of a losing season and being accused of tanking. Garnett pulled himself for the final five games, saying he had a quad injury.

When questioned on the tanking, Taylor said that he didn’t agree with tanking, McHale and Wittman don’t believe it, and the players wanted to play out the season. “It was more like, I’d say, K.G. tanked it. I think the other guys still wanted to play, but it sure changed the team and didn’t make us as (good).”

Okay, that is a tone deaf thing to say about any player. But imagine hearing it if your Kevin Garnett? He took such pride in how hard he worked, in games, in practices, etc. For an emotional guy like Garnett to have someone say this about him publicly is like sticking a knife right in his heart - a bullseye that would hurt him most.

Now, I don’t think Taylor was right, and I don’t agree with all the things Garnett has said and done since then. But finally, I understand it.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,422

Post#216 » by Calinks » Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:13 am

shrink wrote:So I never really understood this hatred Kevin Garnett has for Glen Taylor. I knew they’d exchanged barbs, but it seemed like Kevin’s were always a lot more pointed. I had heard a rumor that KG felt he had made the Wolves a legitimate franchise, so he should be able to buy the franchise at it’s price tag before he got here. Also, Taylor had written checks and made KG the biggest salaried player at one point, and made the franchise around him. I always thought at the end of the day, they’d make nice, and Taylor could honor KG by hanging his jersey in the rafters.

The other day, I was listening to Doogie’s podcast, and one of KG’s teammates made it all clear to me. Remember KG’s final season before the Boston trade? As usual for this time of year, the team was doing poorly. We hadn’t traded for an aging Iverson for another grasp at relevancy, and we were near the end of a losing season and being accused of tanking. Garnett pulled himself for the final five games, saying he had a quad injury.

When questioned on the tanking, Taylor said that he didn’t agree with tanking, McHale and Wittman don’t believe it, and the players wanted to play out the season. “It was more like, I’d say, K.G. tanked it. I think the other guys still wanted to play, but it sure changed the team and didn’t make us as (good).”

Okay, that is a tone deaf thing to say about any player. But imagine hearing it if your Kevin Garnett? He took such pride in how hard he worked, in games, in practices, etc. For an emotional guy like Garnett to have someone say this about him publicly is like sticking a knife right in his heart - a bullseye that would hurt him most.

Now, I don’t think Taylor was right, and I don’t agree with all the things Garnett has said and done since then. But finally, I understand it.

KG has always struck me as easily angered/emotional. I definitely think he is hyperreactive to a lot things, that said I do think Glen has done some things that would make most people upset. KG just doesn't seem they type to easily forgive.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,849

Post#218 » by KGdaBom » Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:55 pm

Rookie-Mistake wrote:So.. has the team been sold yet?

Sent from my SM-G991B using RealGM mobile app

Sort of LOL. :lol: :lol: :banghead:
Nick K
Lead Assistant

Post#219 » by Nick K » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:37 pm

Rookie-Mistake wrote:So.. has the team been sold yet?

Sent from my SM-G991B using RealGM mobile app

That's a good question. I think so. It looks that way. Who knows? :D
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,256

Post#220 » by BlacJacMac » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:30 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves